Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo Brake Fluid Level

Hi All,

After a bit of assistance.

Can anyone please let me know what level to "top up" the brake fluid resivoir too. The owners book is not specific enough and as for the resivoir it clearly displays MAX with an arrow pointing up. How ever is the MAX point the bottom of the lettering (base of the arrow), or is it the top of the lettering (point of arrow)?

Owners manual states it uses "Super DOT 4" / Ford Approval ESD-M6C57-A brake fluid. This is the factory fill brake fluid which is clear / amber in colour.

After going to my local Ford Parts I was given a bottle of Ford Brake Fluid Part No. R1 39 (500ml), however after closer inspection it like all other local (Australian) spec Brake Fluids have a Ford Approval of ESZ-M6C55-A so does not meet EU Ford minimum specs. Plus it is a Blue / Green dyed colour.

After talking with Ford Service / Parts, they advised that at the 2yr / 30,000km service they drop the factory filled brake fluid and just replace with the local stuff.

For my top up purposes, I have purchased a bottle of Ford Super DOT 4 Brake Fluid Part No. 1135516 (500ml) which meets Fords own approval code ESD-M6C57-A. I sourced this from a Ford Dealership in the UK.

After speaking to some local companies Tech Lines (Castrol / Penrite / Nulon etc) I have found that the Ford Approval code refers to a lower temperature and as such that is not required in the AU Domestic Market.

So now back to my original question of where the actual MAX fill line is.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Re: Mondeo Brake Fluid Level

I would be of the opinion that it would be the top of the arrow, wouldn't make sense to be the bottom of it if its pointing up?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very true, will now look to top up that little bit extra.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Filled to the top of the arrow now, all good!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. One should always be careful of filling brake fluid reservoirs as the reason the fluid drops is that as the pads wear the fluid from the master cylinder fills the space behind the piston in the calliper, if you fill the reservoir, when the pads are changed and the pistons are pushed back into the callipers brake fluid will be pushed from the master cylinder making a mess of corrosive brake fluid and possibly damaging seals in the brake system. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks MD for your information. I will certainly keep this info in mind for the future as pads start to loose bite. As my car is less than 12mths old with less than 10,000kms I am just probably being a little over excited about where my fluid levels are / or should be. The brake fluid was only a little down, I really just wanted to get it back up to the magic line.