Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
haha, thats brilliant. great job!!!

The only reason I mentioned no ensuite was based on a recent trip in a motorhome. It was only me in there for the first week and my biggest thing I hated was emptying the cassette. Everytime I emptied it, I dry reached. That was my own waste too. Having other family members add to it a week later was a massive turn off for me regardless of the convenience.

If anything, I will consider the smaller unit like you have and have a ensuite shower tent to set up outside for the mrs at worst if going off grid was an option, but other than that, I prefer to avoid them, dig a hole and bury it, OR go to a CP and grab and ensuite site just for her.
Whilst very handy / convenient, emptying them does take a bit of getting used to...
Old 14-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Whilst very handy / convenient, emptying them does take a bit of getting used to...
very true. After emptying it twice, I ended up using the great outdoors or CP toilets instead.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
very true. After emptying it twice, I ended up using the great outdoors or CP toilets instead.
Once you get the knack they are actually quite easy to empty and if you use the good chemicals in liberal quantities there is very little smell, probably no more than a caravan park toilet
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Once you get the knack they are actually quite easy to empty and if you use the good chemicals in liberal quantities there is very little smell, probably no more than a caravan park toilet
maybe thats where I came unstuck. I was using 2 tablets and a scoop of nappysan and I still could smell it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #5
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe thats where I came unstuck. I was using 2 tablets and a scoop of nappysan and I still could smell it.
No buy a bottle of the proper stuff and put maybe a quarter of a cup into the holding tank and another eighth of a cup into the flush tank,very little smell and it breaks the solids up a bit so it pours out the spout a bit easier,doesn’t make it look any better though lol
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No buy a bottle of the proper stuff and put maybe a quarter of a cup into the holding tank and another eighth of a cup into the flush tank,very little smell and it breaks the solids up a bit so it pours out the spout a bit easier,doesn’t make it look any better though lol
Ah the good old dunny.....
Done quite a lot of research on this due to building cabins and motorhomes.
Currently, I like to use Zeolite in the motorhome cassette dunny. Absorbs the liquid which is mainly what produces the smell when mixed with the solid. Sold for the horse stables market.
Quite a lot of country CP's, showgrounds and NP camping area's don't want chemicals down in their septic systems or long drops.
Being offgrid at home, I just installed whats called a 9020 Separatte dry toilet, (a flash composting dunny) just ordered another baby one which will go into the MH later.
They work by separating the dry from liquid waste. In a caravan, boat etc the liquid is captured in a different holding tank while the solids are 12v fan dried to a powder in the chamber.

In a RV....The ammonia pee smell isn't as bad when emptied at a dump point and the broken down solids are approved for garden compost material (still wouldn't put it around the veges though)

In a home install.... the pee is diverted off with grey sink water to a approval reed bed or absorption field.

Mobile wise the biggest problem with this system is cost a pee tank, 12v fan install and the need to be installed under an already busy chassis.
To me its worth it as it doesn't stink and cuts out the cost of chemical toilet additives.
There are a few great RV type composting toilets available now, some are completely self contained Sunmar and Airhead comes to mind.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: