Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Fantome

Default A/C Repair Cost

OK so my A/C is not blowing as cold as it should and the compressor is noisy when on.

I take it to A/C workshop and they find tx valve completely choked with metal filings and compressor has no oil.

Obviously new compressor needed plus complete system flush, new tx and other bits. They have quoted me around $950-1,000 all up.

This for a AU series II XR-8 ute which we intend to keep so would prefer to get it done right just that I haven't had the opportunity because of work commitments to shop around a bit. We are not in a capital city, far from it, so there is always a bit of freight.

My question is does this sound about right?

Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Default Re: A/C Repair Cost

I may be able to help. Is the compressor and TX valve same as a six?
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
fordman302

Doesn't help that the cost of refrigeration gas has quadrupled with the carbon tax, the amount of tax on it now is pathetic
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Fantome

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
I may be able to help. Is the compressor and TX valve same as a six?
Yes, at least the compressor is they share the same part number. Price quoted for the compressor was $427 with warranty.

I'm one of those people who will pay a bit more for quality service and parts, I hate having to do the same job twice because of cheap parts.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they would probably change the receiver dryer and the orifice tube too wouldn't they? and fitting up the pump, flushing out the system, vacing to remove air/moisture and gassing up, then checking for leaks and correct operation and gas, it's a fair wack of coin, but sounds sort of reasonable, i think i paid 600 for a pump only in my xr6 some years ago, so that seems a fair price with a warranty.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
peedee

It does cost about $150 to just regas a system that has lost its gas over time through seepage around o rings etc and that only includes a new receiver dryer a vacuum and fill up with a top up of oil and dye.
Add in a compressor at your $470 odd a tx valve for probably $50 - $60 and $50 to $75 per hour labour does not take long to add
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantome View Post
Yes, at least the compressor is they share the same part number. Price quoted for the compressor was $427 with warranty.

I'm one of those people who will pay a bit more for quality service and parts, I hate having to do the same job twice because of cheap parts.
If you are willing to take a punt, I have a compressor here you can have. It came off a running S2. The rest of the car was really well maintained, so it should be OK.

PM me if interested, we can work out how to get it to you.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Fantome

Despite a kind offer from redxm, thanks again mate, we decided to go ahead and get the work done.
Total cost came in under the original quote and the thing is bloody freezing!
Add to that they stored the car under cover for a couple of days while I was in hospital and cleaned under the bonnet so all in all a good job.
Thanks to Graham at Dubbo Autoglass and Airconditioning, Cobra Street, Dubbo.
Old 16-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
peterljohnson55

Fantome, can you please outline the discussion you had with Graham at Dubbo for us and detail what work was carried out and any breakdown of costs? I imagine that would be helpful to us, at least to me given my A/C is playing up.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Fantome

PM sent!
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Mitch_

I didn't think au's had a TX Valve - thought they were oriface tube!
My a/c system got a service when I did the coolant last - and they replaced the oriface tubes - was a little bit of **** in them - but it was 160k old and I doubt it'd been done before.
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Fantome

Don't know Mitch, I have heard them called by both names. Sits in the pipework about halfway along the passenger side inner guard. Mine was absolutely covered in shavings.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get aftermarket A/C units for up to AU models.I fitted a few sanden units to AU utilities.AU is orifice tube with accumulator.BA has denso compressor,condensor and TX.E series TX block.orifice is cheep. shame about the gas.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post