Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: whats your fav. beer? (forgive me if i leave any out)
Carlton Cold 26 8.33%
Carlton Draught 45 14.42%
Coopers Pale 38 12.18%
Foster's 4 1.28%
Crown Lager 26 8.33%
VB 34 10.90%
Tooheys dry 35 11.22%
4X 19 6.09%
Boags 35 11.22%
Corona 50 16.03%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #271
azaxr8

redback tastes like cat wee.

teds for me.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #272
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

uranium_death, I agree wholeheartedly with you in regards to your comments about the Belgium beers. They would have to have been the best beers I have ever tasted in my travels. The wife and I absolutely loved them when we were there in Belgium and in Holland. We don't generally buy them back here due to cost but will indulge every now and then as a treat.
Everyday drinking is covered by Coopers beer and [free] wine from the wife's work.
Old 17-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #273
JONESY_XR6
Done that,Got the t-shirt

Trumer pills in an icy glas is always the beer of choice in town, otherwise anything taswegen and carlton cold...

PB on g-tech: 15.28@154.9kmh

JONESY_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #274
ubute
Back in Black

Anyone here tried this yet? http://www.chopperheavy.com/

"100% guaranteed to get your ears off"
Old 17-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #275
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

uranium_death, you comments are spot on.

I find most Australian beer to be rubbish, that have to be drunk freezing cold.

I don't understand why people brag about Crown Larger. The only reason I can see people drink it is because of the gold label, 50 odd bucks a carton and "look at what I am drinking" A little like the Corona drinkers with the slice of lime.

There are certain Australian beers I enjoy.

Top of my list are the James Squire IPA, I find the Mountain Goat IPA to be on even footing. Gage Rd IPA is not to bad but I don't find it as bitter as the other 2 brands. Yeah I have a soft spot for IPA's.

James Squire Porter is nice on a cool winter night.

Little Creature Pale Ale a wonderful drop and pretty much my choice at the local bottle shop. I have to go to Dan Murphys for the IPA's.

Beers from Belgium do stand out above the rest and once in a blue moon I will buy a bottle of Chimay. Those who have drunk it know what I mean. Duvel & La Trappe. Again wonderful beers. Just a little on the pricey side for those on a single income and a mortage in Sydney.

I recently tried a double chocolate stout and a Banana beer from the UK. A friend bought around a few bottles, but the names are lost to me at the moment.

Just my views on beer.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #276
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's ok AU.

Not trying to get personal...let's just agree to disagree.

The point I was making that appreciating beer doesn't happen overnight...takes time.

THe 90% that choose to drink beer to "get drunk" might as well stick with turpentine...cheaper.

I don't think Belgian beers to look "cool"...I drink them because they are considered the better beers in the world...
Since most people's choice in beer appears to be governed by their local pub, their bottle shop, and the ridiculous advertising that happens on TV (misleading many), I like to share a wider variety of drops.

Peace

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #277
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Miller Genuine Draft (otherwise known as MGD) is my drop of choice at the moment, but Peroni is a close second. Extra Dry, Carlton Dry, Pure Blonde and Boags St George all get a mention too.
MGD is a great beer.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #278
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
I predict that it will be a great hit with the corona drinking sissies and concluded it tastes like a lime mixer.
So im a sissy hey because i dont mind the odd Corona?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 17-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #279
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I may get flamed for this but they are one of the most overrated things on the planet.

I agree...A mate always sends ne a case of Crownies every year for doing his tax....I drink it of course, but not my preferred drop ....Cascade or Boags premium are far better brews
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #280
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
redback tastes like cat wee.
I'll take your word for it, I am not game enough to compare the 2... And besides, i dont fancy chasing the cat around with a shot glass waiting for a sample...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #281
azaxr8

lol tonko:P well said i guess:P. Redback is terrible either way.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #282
cycle myth

Any beer made by one of the 1,100 breweries in Munich.

Augustine Monks make what I would say is the best.

Anything else is commercial urine.

Trust me - check it out in person.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #283
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had redback on top and thought it was ok...

Then I got a bottle and thought it was pretty bloody average...

What beers do Augustine Monks make?
I like Trappist beer though...and that is certainly not commercial urine...most people here have probably never tried a trappist drop...and they are well worth it

But there are cheaper brews out there that are still bloody good.

One of my favourite stouts is Abbotsford Invalid Stout...costs next to nothing, but is good.
Used to love Cascade Amber Ale, but they don't stock it anywhere I shop at...dang.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #284
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
When you buy Becks, Heineken or Stella, make sure you are getting the IMPORTED ones and NOT the Australian ones (under license), as there is a massive difference.

On another note...I really like Beez Neez in summer. It's very light, pretty clean, and highly drinkable. Also not a bad price.
I always try to grab the restaurant packs (import packs -normally in tatty recycled boxes), esp for becks and stella. What really gets me... is that the imported ones are actually CHEAPER than the ones brewed here.

Beez Neez is a good drop, can only have a few of them though. Definately a unique taste. And, its actually becoming quite cheap now. Normally just grab 6 packs though, not a beer I could drink nightly.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #285
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Do you take 45 minutes to down a lemon-ified corona? Personally, I'll drink water though a drainpipe before corona, probably taste similar.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #286
FPV GT40
Banned

As far as beer goes the Germans are the masters, they even have a special purity law that relates to beer making and is still active since 1576....how many other countries do you know that passed a law on how beer must be made and the purity of the ingredients and finnished product almost 500 years ago, and this law is still adhered to today....these laws were passed and beer was made 300 years before Australia was discovered :

'Hansa' or 'DAB' are some of my favourites......As far as Aussie made beers anything made by James Squire is pretty good, as for pub beer that you can get when you go out on tap tooheys new in summer and old in winter...

As a general rule of thumb if it comes in a clear bottle it usually contains some form of antifreeze and if it is in a clear bottle and imported it is generally aimed at the female or homosexual market.....some brands even promote this by introducing a piece of fruit into the beer

:baby bott :baby bott :baby bott

Last edited by FPV GT40; 26-07-2008 at 03:10 PM.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #287
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Do you take 45 minutes to down a lemon-ified corona? Personally, I'll drink water though a drainpipe before corona, probably taste similar.
No i dont they go down like water IMO 20 mins tops, but i dont have them very often though.
Now off you go and enjoy your drainpipe water :
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 26-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #288
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE

well, we didnt want to say anything... :P

Just got thru 12 Squires Pepperberry Winter Ale Limited edition, twas goddamn lovely.

Also, had some Red Angus Pilsner the other day: Tops!

And coronas are for self-flagulators, pure and simple.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post