Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-02-2023, 06:58 PM   #5161
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

as a introverted teenager, I was into model car building, found an American outfit that (in those days) posted you their catalogue and you ordered from that. If you kept the order under 25pounds there was no customs. kitsets were a quater of what you paid in shops.
i have limited intrrnet in NZ, but it may pay you to search online for US kitset suppliers and get them cheaper, or get more.
Old 20-02-2023, 10:20 PM   #5162
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Will do. Went in there looking for the 70's cabover Freightliner kit that can be built as a single drive day cab or a bogie drive sleeper version. Bums didn't have it.

absolute cabover nerd
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #5163
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It was yesterday, but I didn’t want to bust in on the model-makers’ exchange.

Good thing 1: I ducked out for the 7AM opening of a nearby shop who bake their own Lebanese bread. On a whim took the ute, normally I wouldn’t take a 4 litre car to buy bread. Right out the front was a just-vacated Loading Zone parking spot; couldn’t have timed it better.

Good thing 2: Late December, one of my last jobs while still “able” I did a heavy prune on my neighbour’s rose bush. I noted yesterday it’s bounced back hugely and is in full bloom; lightly perfumed and plenty more buds forming. At the time it was cut, I was more doing it to rein in a feral area of the garden and due to lateness didn’t expect very much growth for a while.

Good thing 3: Spent the last hour of daylight helping a friend in their garden, got fed dinner. I’m treating their place as a sort of rehab, I don’t get told what jobs to prioritise or how to do it - they trust me and leave me alone to get on.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #5164
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
absolute cabover nerd
Thank you, I try my hardest.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #5165
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

It was yesterday, but official first day in my new job ... that I`ve been doing since September.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 11:04 AM   #5166
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It was yesterday, but I didn’t want to bust in on the model-makers’ exchange.

Good thing 1: I ducked out for the 7AM opening of a nearby shop who bake their own Lebanese bread. On a whim took the ute, normally I wouldn’t take a 4 litre car to buy bread. Right out the front was a just-vacated Loading Zone parking spot; couldn’t have timed it better.

Good thing 2: Late December, one of my last jobs while still “able” I did a heavy prune on my neighbour’s rose bush. I noted yesterday it’s bounced back hugely and is in full bloom; lightly perfumed and plenty more buds forming. At the time it was cut, I was more doing it to rein in a feral area of the garden and due to lateness didn’t expect very much growth for a while.

Good thing 3: Spent the last hour of daylight helping a friend in their garden, got fed dinner. I’m treating their place as a sort of rehab, I don’t get told what jobs to prioritise or how to do it - they trust me and leave me alone to get on.
So you are the one that uses loading zones as a tradies parking spot at meal times?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 11:33 AM   #5167
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Hey, I loaded bread into my ute!

The council completely screwed parking in that area, took away half the spaces and there’s no P15 or P5m spots. Yet they can’t be bothered enforcing against people who park across footpaths all day with no respect for the mobility-impaired. So I’m happy to take the loading zone for 2-3 minutes. I also have trade qualifications, work and hold a current trades licence.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 04:44 PM   #5168
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Will do. Went in there looking for the 70's cabover Freightliner kit that can be built as a single drive day cab or a bogie drive sleeper version. Bums didn't have it.

If i find one i will send it to you... i have a bit of a collection lol
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #5169
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Cool Re: What made you feel good today?

This finally... PPQ wouldnt allow me to order it and the only form acceptable was brushed aluminium silver with black writing in a black steel frame !

Angel from SUNSHINE KIA was able to order my Flexi Carbon Plates just the way i wanted and here they are, i couldn't even order a slimline version on line ??

My car arrives on the 4th March all fingers crossed, i wont be home but i will post one pic of the car at Delivery then i will leave you guys alone with my Stinger postings until my Tribute Edition Build No 351 arrives next year...

Peace

Old 21-02-2023, 05:06 PM   #5170
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

My current build ever evolving @rocKWiz ... not sure what colour she will end up but i have a lot of work ahead of me, i removed all the chrome except for the grille/stacks and alcoa's.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #5171
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Sneak pic of the forthcoming Stinger

Old 21-02-2023, 05:19 PM   #5172
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Wrong wheels bro

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25503959...b25d%7Ciid%3A1

Last edited by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys; 21-02-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 21-02-2023, 05:21 PM   #5173
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
My current build ever evolving @rocKWiz ... not sure what colour she will end up but i have a lot of work ahead of me, i removed all the chrome except for the grille/stacks and alcoa's.
Very nice, should turn out great. Won't be starting mine until I get back to base.
Question if you don't mind, how do you acquire custom plates in QLD do you buy them outright or are they leased. Curious.

Old 21-02-2023, 05:29 PM   #5174
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

You buy them outright mate, usually after an alcoholic bender

I have

64DAZ
JET270
1TUFXR6
DAZZLER

Currently For Sale
Old 21-02-2023, 05:35 PM   #5175
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
You buy them outright mate, usually after an alcoholic bender

I have

64DAZ
JET270
1TUFXR6
DAZZLER

Currently For Sale
Ok, same as Vic. Best way to go imo. btw I see another 3408 going in that Kenworth

Old 21-02-2023, 05:48 PM   #5176
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

I know right, you can't ever have enough...

Old 21-02-2023, 05:48 PM   #5177
.:4:.
Kicking back

I have personal plates on my car. Not vanity plates. So 5 charachter white on black plates. Original 74 print, but when i put the originals on hold, the rta wouldnt release them as they were non reflective so they charged me quite the fee for a re stamped set. Anyhow, so they were my grandpas plates. His initials are the same as mine even though i was born 1000 years later. Anyrate. I keep the plates, theyre 5 character, so 2 letters, 3 numbers, white on black old style nsw number plates. The reason i keep them is simply family heritage stuff. Not vanity or anything like that.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 05:52 PM   #5178
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I have personal plates on my car. Not vanity plates. So 5 charachter white on black plates. Original 74 print, but when i put the originals on hold, the rta wouldnt release them as they were non reflective so they charged me quite the fee for a re stamped set. Anyhow, so they were my grandpas plates. His initials are the same as mine even though i was born 1000 years later. Anyrate. I keep the plates, theyre 5 character, so 2 letters, 3 numbers, white on black old style nsw number plates. The reason i keep them is simply family heritage stuff. Not vanity or anything like that.
My brother has similar B/W 5 digit on his 76 Honda accord.

Old 21-02-2023, 05:53 PM   #5179
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I know right, you can't ever have enough...

Are they from Auslowe ?

Old 21-02-2023, 05:54 PM   #5180
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
They would probably fit nicely on your Camry i suppose ?
Old 21-02-2023, 05:54 PM   #5181
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Are they from Auslowe ?
The pinstripes ?

yessir
Old 21-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #5182
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The pinstripes ?

yessir
Nah, the 3408 engine or did it come in the W model kit, I bought several VT903 from them and a 6V71 (couldn't get 53 series)

Old 21-02-2023, 06:04 PM   #5183
Kicking back

Quote:
They would probably fit nicely on your Camry i suppose ?
Gosh, i wish i had a camry.

Nah, the plates were originally on my grandpas hk kingswood, then his ea fairmont, then his 5L eb fairmont. To cut a long story short, the plates now live on my bf fairmont ghia.
5 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2023, 06:04 PM   #5184
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Standard in the W series 1/16 scale kit's but how it looks now isn't how it will finish up, i have oil lines/ wires/ filter decals and epoxy fill to make the block assembly appear real and show worthy, i just need the time and patience.

Because at the moment

The Kia Stinger Is No Slouch.

It'll Blow The Cushions Off Your Couch.

A Good Rev Up Can Wake Your Neighbors...

Get You One From A Dealer They Come In Several Flavors.

Take It To The Track & Win A Race.

Then Tell The Loser Hey!

Get Out My Face.

Old 21-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #5185
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Gosh, i wish i had a camry.

Nah, the plates were originally on my grandpas hk kingswood, then his ea fairmont, then his 5L eb fairmont. To cut a long story short, the plates now live on my bf fairmont ghia.
Ahh sorry i thought the vanity remarks were towards me having pride and liking to show off my rides...
Old 21-02-2023, 10:01 PM   #5186
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I did similar.
Dad had a white Fairmont (XA) so when I bought a white Fairmont (AU) and saw the plates fitted to his way back when were available to order, I snapped them up and put them on the AU.

Would have much preferred to keep hold of the plates by keeping the XA.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2023, 06:20 PM   #5187
Kicking back

My old apprentice called me today. He is a tradesman now but was asking for a second set of eyes. So typically, and he knows this, if its an answer to a problem that hasnt been looked at i will simply hang up. Im one willing to help, but if its incompetence, thats a nah.
Anyhow. This bloke is now a tradesman, so he explains his issue, and what he has tested and all that jazz. So thats fine. He was a tad stressed hence asking me for any ideas. So i asked him to tell me what he found when testing and stuff. So, its hard to look at something when you arent there, but i get it, sometimes a different view gives the answer.
So nothing this bloke did was wrong, he wasnt chasing his tail. He looked at the 19 out of 20 things.
So not being there looking at it, ive been that guy before, so he was stressed out looked at everything but the 20th.
So i did give him the answer. Not because im a genuis or anything like that. He had done all the work and told me, i wasnt stressed at all so put the pieces to the puzzle together then asked did he check the PIR.
So i 100% get it and have done it before where you have an issue but go big even though its something small infront of your eyes.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #5188
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

My mate Johnny in Goulburn is turning 90 today.

Still got all his marbles, lives independently in the same house he’s shared with his wife for almost fifty years. He fetched me from Yass in the middle of the night early 2017 when the AU water pump pulley disintegrated. Not many people in their mid-eighties would be up for a call like that, and it’s goodwill you don’t forget.

We’ve had many good conversations over the years, everything from philosophy and liturgy to tree-lopping, fencing, renovations. I hope to have many more discussions with him yet. Today’s milestone might be “just a number” but it’s a nice thing to have friends of this ilk.
Old 23-02-2023, 10:36 PM   #5189
tbro4123

Quote:
My old apprentice called me today. He is a tradesman now but was asking for a second set of eyes. So typically, and he knows this, if its an answer to a problem that hasnt been looked at i will simply hang up. Im one willing to help, but if its incompetence, thats a nah.
Anyhow. This bloke is now a tradesman, so he explains his issue, and what he has tested and all that jazz. So thats fine. He was a tad stressed hence asking me for any ideas. So i asked him to tell me what he found when testing and stuff. So, its hard to look at something when you arent there, but i get it, sometimes a different view gives the answer.
So nothing this bloke did was wrong, he wasnt chasing his tail. He looked at the 19 out of 20 things.
So not being there looking at it, ive been that guy before, so he was stressed out looked at everything but the 20th.
So i did give him the answer. Not because im a genuis or anything like that. He had done all the work and told me, i wasnt stressed at all so put the pieces to the puzzle together then asked did he check the PIR.
So i 100% get it and have done it before where you have an issue but go big even though its something small infront of your eyes.

I've had the opposite happen many times. Trying to get something back in and nothing is playing nice, usually I'd get the poo's go and make a coffee and go out the back and have a smoke, then come back in to see the apprentice or newly minted tradie tightening stuff up "cause I thought I'd see if it would go in ". You don't know whether to laugh or cry, I'd just say thanks then under my breath Lucky bastard!!!!!

I've also watched so-called tradesman abusing the apprentice for going ahead and doing stuff to finish off a job, needless to say they have been on the end of right ol bollocking in the office and then you call in the apprentice and explain how some people don't like people thinking for themselves and hope they don't go home and have a bitch.

The gradual changing in attitude within the mechanical industry has been a long time coming, I'm glad things have changed for the better generally.

Terry aka Tbro
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2023, 11:21 PM   #5190
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
I've had the opposite happen many times. Trying to get something back in and nothing is playing nice, usually I'd get the poo's go and make a coffee and go out the back and have a smoke, then come back in to see the apprentice or newly minted tradie tightening stuff up "cause I thought I'd see if it would go in ". You don't know whether to laugh or cry, I'd just say thanks then under my breath Lucky bastard!!!!!

I've also watched so-called tradesman abusing the apprentice for going ahead and doing stuff to finish off a job, needless to say they have been on the end of right ol bollocking in the office and then you call in the apprentice and explain how some people don't like people thinking for themselves and hope they don't go home and have a bitch.

The gradual changing in attitude within the mechanical industry has been a long time coming, I'm glad things have changed for the better generally.

Terry aka Tbro
So im not on the tools anymore. But when i was an apprenti, i had a really good tradesman/teacher. Provided I was listening, he taught why you do stuff, not just how to do stuff.
So i adopted that method to teach apprentices. I wasnt a bell end, but even if i knew the answer I'd always ask the question why. If the answer was 'it's because i was told to do it that way', thats not good enough really. Yeah it might be the correct way of doing something, but if you dont know why it is the correct way of doing something, it is a bit silly.
So i may sound like a bit of a bell end, but the first thing i would say to a new apprentice was. Their job is not to make my job easier. It is to learn and make jobs get completed faster.
So i wasnt lounging about, i was still working just as hard, once one job was done off to the next.

Anyhoo, so my ex apprentice got back to me today. Yeah it was a bum PIR. He did me proud, the PIRs in that place are crap, so he put up a poly box and drilled it out for a clipsal 753r. They grow up so quick....