Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The price of petrol

On the weekend I filled up with ultimate at Nambour, $1.31/litre. Down the road povvo unleaded was $1.16.

Two questions.

1) What happend to the $2/3/4/5 per litre by Xmas "its the ent of the world as we know it"

2) Who will holden's spin be if it drops below 99c/l ?

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
gozza

I just paid 1.26 for unleaded - I remember 2 Christmas's ago, people saying it will be $2 a litre. I never submitted to that "the end of the world" consensus.
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The frightening thing is how quickly things turn around at the moment... i do agree though, people who panic normaly come off second best.... i wonder if the performance car market will make some form of recovery? I looked at a GT-E or F6X for the mrs on the weekend..
Can't wait to see Holdens spin if petrol drops below 99c though!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

haha yeah i had to have a giggle when those petrol stations in nsw are selling for 99c a litre! I know it's a BS saving of like $1800 after the whole thing is said and done but hey, it's still laughable

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In June, Dodge ran the same sort of thing here. $2.99 per gallon guaranteed. Well it's like $2.49 here, national average is lower, and as low as $1.98 in Texas... the thing is... who really knows where the price of oil will be in the future. I believe even OPEC did not know it would go this low. Even though they try to control the supply to "stabilize" (yeah right) the price!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Sprint XR8

In the US, Ford have just rehired 1000 workers to add a third shift at the F-150 plant. They cut production too deeply in reaction to the high fuel price.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I bet we never see Petrol for under a $ a litre ever again, the thing with the ppl cutting prices in sydney was a protest of independants against the supermaket chains and they even admitt they cant keep doing it
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
I bet we never see Petrol for under a $ a litre ever again, the thing with the ppl cutting prices in sydney was a protest of independants against the supermaket chains and they even admitt they cant keep doing it
I remember during the Gulf War (first one) petrol went from 46c to 84c and there was "end of the world as we know it".

Six months later petrol was 46c again.

The price of petrol is artificially high but the petrol companies have a huge problem that we all now know about. They HAVE to produce.

You cannot turn a refinery or well off and on as required, they tend to not like that so if the price is too high demand falls and people look at alternatives which will cost the profiteering oil companies $lots as they have nowhere to store the excess.

Please note that if the $AUD was still in the .90s USD petrol would be under 99c/litre......
Old 03-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I've only ever payed less then $1/L for petrol once in my life. I can't imagine it any other way :
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Please note that if the $AUD was still in the .90s USD petrol would be under 99c/litre......
That depends if the AUD is high compared to other currencies too. If it's just high compared to the USD, then oil will also be high compared to USD. The USD is picking up against all other currencies and commodities, so oil and the AUD are down compared to the USD. Oil and AUD to each other probably haven't moved a whole lot. it sounds confusing, but USD is not a constant.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Nope Aussie dollar is down against everything, give it 6 months and PK will be all over the radio talking about how the AUD is correcting our ecconomy and insulating us from the ecconomic blowout.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
That depends if the AUD is high compared to other currencies too. If it's just high compared to the USD, then oil will also be high compared to USD. The USD is picking up against all other currencies and commodities, so oil and the AUD are down compared to the USD. Oil and AUD to each other probably haven't moved a whole lot. it sounds confusing, but USD is not a constant.
Well....

1) Oil prices are always given in USD.
2) The only mony worth less than ours is kiwi dollars and some third world pesos.

In May I went to China and was getting 7.3 HKD now it is something like 4.3.....
Old 03-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
I've only ever payed less then $1/L for petrol once in my life. I can't imagine it any other way :
mmmmwhen I bought my first V8 I was paying 29 cents a liter....at the time everyone used to say if it ever goes above 50 cents people will stop driving cars

Filled the FPV up this morning with 98ron and was thinking to myself 1.39..geee thats cheap, then I thought about how we got brain washed into paying high prices. :evil3:
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

[QUOTE=flappist]Well....

1) Oil prices are always given in USD.
QUOTE]

True however directly irrelevant. AUD fuel prices are based on the Mogas 95 price (TAPIS OIL PRICE) which dosnt directly move with the movements in the USD. The Singapore stocks are only starting to rise now even though the price per barrel in USD has been down for awhile. Hence we are only seeing price decreases at the pump now. (Less 2 weeks of price gouging by the oil majors)

I think though that OPEC is determined to have a price between $70 USD and $90 USD (their statement today) so it will rise probably another 5% or so.

HOWEVER I am certain the crazy $150 USD prices were only ever a result of speculators. Most are now broke or out of business so hopefully its back to more stable and reasonable prices.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

Don't forget that the 99c/l that the independants had was E10, not regular unleaded. Good on 'em for trying though.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #16
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Just seen on the local news PP $1.16, so there might be a chance but i doubt it will go as low as a buck a ltr
Yeah i remember starting out paying 30c a litre them were the day's, even then i would hunt around for cheap fuel LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #17
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

hey, BP's ultimate used to be a flat rate 10c per litre more.... same with caltex, same with shell.

why was bp's ultimate 12.5c more on the weekend???

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #18
The Mighty Red

I cant understand why petrol hasnt gone back down to $1 per litre......the price of oil has dropped something like 40% in the last 6 months so why hasnt the price of fuel done the same .
Old 03-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #19
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
I cant understand why petrol hasnt gone back down to $1 per litre......the price of oil has dropped something like 40% in the last 6 months so why hasnt the price of fuel done the same .
I bet it's because the oil company's bought it at the higher price and need to recoup there money, funny when they buy at the lower price and cost go up the price rockets up straight away
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #20
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

All the talk about paying $2 a litre or more by xmas was just plain and simply scare tatics! Things like this are on a cycle!, they go up to a point where people think the end of the world is looming, then a few months later, things start to fall again! its just how the world works lol!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yay another petrol price thread :togo:, there was one afew weeks back on the drop in prices.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:49 AM   #22
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
All the talk about paying $2 a litre or more by xmas was just plain and simply scare tatics! Things like this are on a cycle!, they go up to a point where people think the end of the world is looming, then a few months later, things start to fall again! its just how the world works lol!
The bottom line is nobody really knows. If the trend is going up, as it was, the pundits predict it will get even higher. When it goes down, they predict it will keep going down. I seriously don't know why they get paid to do what they do. Could it get to $2 a litre? absolutely! The car manufacturers aren't betting these low prices are here to stay, and believe they will go up again. OPEC want to the price to increase, so they will cut supplies even more. The countries that are members of OPEC want to be paid more for their oil, so they will put pressure on OPEC to cut supply until it gets back up there. Yes, the price goes up and down, but look at the long term part of the pattern. People tend to only look at short term.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
In the US, Ford have just rehired 1000 workers to add a third shift at the F-150 plant. They cut production too deeply in reaction to the high fuel price.
Sounds strange. The US economy in total freefall is absolutely drilling the US automakers now, just as much as the high price of oil did. Total US sales are down something like 30% in the past few months, even Toyota is down 33%, more than anyone. I can't see how Ford would be increasing production now as its not going to pick up anytime soon. Whats your source on this.

Any reduction in oil price is just being replaced with the failing economy, which is actually making a bigger dint in sales than what high oil prices did.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #24
Sprint XR8

Article: Ford Rethinks Truck Pullback.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1225...googlenews_wsj
Article: Ford Adding Shift At Dearborn Plant To Support 2009 F-150.
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/n...150/index.html
Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
Its because the AUD has dropped in value as much at the Oil price.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #26
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Its because the AUD has dropped in value as much at the Oil price.
No it hasn't. AUD is currently around $0.67, thats about a 30% drop from $0.96. Oil has dropped by over 50%. Where is the difference going?

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #27
Sprint XR8

Article: F-Series Powers Ford To Highest Retail Share In Two Years.
http://uk.sys-con.com/node/733782
The F-series sales have actualy fallen the least of all fords models -16%, and remains the number one selling vehicle in the US, 43,324 sales in oct08.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #28
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
why was bp's ultimate 12.5c more on the weekend???
In the smart state, well in Brisneyland anyway Ultimate is always 12-14c more, its expensive fuel but in my case its the only fuel that stops that pinging in the Windsor.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oil companies are greedy sod`s with out any doubt, but for every dollar of petrol sold 50% ends up in the governments piggy bank for the bowser price, then 10% for gst on top i`m guessing, if it was`nt for the population having a winge and goin outa buisness the polly`s would`nt give a rats, too me whats even more laughable was during the high price time some polly`s were talking about a 3 cent per litre concession, oh joy quick break out the champagne 3 cents a litre, it would surprise me if the price went past $2.00 a litre because the knee jerk reaction people stop buying fuel and car`s, my bet is they will try for a comfort zone price and will try and keep it under $.2.00.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Still $1.45 here.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post