Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default New United Premium100

Has anyone else tried this? I put a tank in in Albury today and OMG, it was RUBBISH.

I had serious issues with it, without exaggerating I would estimate that I lost 50-60rwkw on this fuel. The issues were so serious in fact that If I gave it to it in first it wasn't able to rev out all the way. I had to back off, let it drop into second and then go. Anything over 1/2 throttle would make it bog down and just go nowhere.

Economy was also despicable, I got near 500k to a tank of BP Ultimate on the way up but only 300 on the way back. I reckon a Hyundai Getz could of taken me on the 1/4, it was THAT bad.

The servo I got it from was reasonably new looking and before anyone says "Must have been a bad batch/rubbish in the tank/filter" I filled the tank in Woodend with BP Ultimate, got 5 k down the road and all my power was back and she was apples again.

Here's a link to their website http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/index.asp?pgID=65

I know it's 10% ethanol but I just haven't experienced fuel this bad before, I gave it a boot twice with this stuf and tried to stay out of it as much as possible until it was gone, the detonation under WOT was scary.

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stick to BP Ultimate, it's the best!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Stick to BP Ultimate, it's the best!
That, my friend, I shall be doing :
Old 16-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
husky510

It was probably just a bad batch!!!
Old 16-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Coulda been "factory seconds" from Shell Optimax Racing fuel

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Shell or Ultimate.. thats all that goes into mine..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

hmmmm, never had problems with their 95 or their 98. Wierd.
Old 16-11-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

I know it's 10% ethanol but I just haven't experienced fuel this bad before, I gave it a boot twice with this stuf and tried to stay out of it as much as possible until it was gone, the detonation under WOT was scary.
Thats interesting Russell, you would think that the higher octane would be of benefit in this regard but obviously not, I too will stick with Ultimate.
I have no idea how Ford recommended 95 with the AU XR8's.

Out of interest what were they charging for this stuff in comparison to Ultimate.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #9
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Their 95 Octane running a 98 Tune with no Pinging or Loss of Power & it actually Runs Smoother than other 95 Octane non Ethanol Fuels.

I Tried BP Ultimate a few Times & had the same thing happen with it as you Describe.

So Who Knows, I would Imagine the Fuel was a Bad batch as this would Explain your Woes (it may even have been stale).
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Thats interesting Russell, you would think that the higher octane would be of benefit in this regard but obviously not, I too will stick with Ultimate.
I have no idea how Ford recommended 95 with the AU XR8's.

Out of interest what were they charging for this stuff in comparison to Ultimate.
Price is comparable between the two, both around 10cpl more than regular.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:24 AM   #11
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Has anyone else tried this? I put a tank in in Albury today and OMG, it was RUBBISH.

I had serious issues with it, without exaggerating I would estimate that I lost 50-60rwkw on this fuel. The issues were so serious in fact that If I gave it to it in first it wasn't able to rev out all the way. I had to back off, let it drop into second and then go. Anything over 1/2 throttle would make it bog down and just go nowhere.

Economy was also despicable, I got near 500k to a tank of BP Ultimate on the way up but only 300 on the way back. I reckon a Hyundai Getz could of taken me on the 1/4, it was THAT bad.

The servo I got it from was reasonably new looking and before anyone says "Must have been a bad batch/rubbish in the tank/filter" I filled the tank in Woodend with BP Ultimate, got 5 k down the road and all my power was back and she was apples again.

Here's a link to their website http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/index.asp?pgID=65

Cut and paste your post into their feedback line.............

Here's the link :

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/contact.asp
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

I use nothing but Untited 95 from the same servo in the AU and it's hit and miss. For example, filled up the last week on it and it was real good. Filled Friday to go to Sydney yesturday and was just like Russell experience. I get better experiences more than the bad ones.
Old 16-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #13
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I have met the management of united when they were a new company.They were nice enough blokes. Contact them..they should be able to help..good people I thought..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Question :

Would the Engine ECM need an update / edit for more than 10% ethanol fuels?

Whether it be premium / ultimate or not?
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #15
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I find my car runs better on Vortex 98 rather than Ultimate. My mates supercharged SV6 and his AUIII XR8 ute also run better on the Caltex Vortex 98 rather than BP Ultimate.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I have actually contacted them, I really wanted this fuel to be good.
Old 16-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd have to side on bad batch. I couldn't imagine that a fuel they want to sell Australia wide at a premium price would be that bad across the board.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe coz the fuel has a lower energy state is why you noticed a difference, requiring high comp ratios or ECU work. If you were able to raise the the compression of the engine, by way of pistons, more boost more timing etc etc then you will get the full benefit of the Ethanol blended fuels. Except maybe 10% which will just give you lesser fuel economy.

Unless of course it comes from the factory with a higher comp ratio, but ECU work would most likely still need to be carried out to get the most from the Ethanol fuels.
Old 16-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPK-250
Maybe coz the fuel has a lower energy state is why you noticed a difference, requiring high comp ratios or ECU work. If you were able to raise the the compression of the engine, by way of pistons, more boost more timing etc etc then you will get the full benefit of the Ethanol blended fuels. Except maybe 10% which will just give you lesser fuel economy.

Unless of course it comes from the factory with a higher comp ratio, but ECU work would most likely still need to be carried out to get the most from the Ethanol fuels.
I wouldn't like to run any more compression on pump than what I have now, mines is at 11:1.
Old 16-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #20
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So even with your 5%-10% increase in power due to your car being red you still couldn't drag off a Hyundai Getz at the track....

Last edited by Melz; 16-11-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
So even with your 5% increase in power due to your car being red you still couldn't drag off a Hyundai Getz at the track....
I reckon your ute might of even had a shot.
Old 16-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I reckon your ute might of even had a shot.
Thats sad if you can't beat a ute that doesn't have a motor in it.... I would be complaining too
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 05:51 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sugar belongs in my coffee not my car !!
Old 16-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #24
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Stuff them Russell...you need bp ultimate..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Stick with Ultimate, it may have well been just a bad patch of fuel but Ultimate work's a treat.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #26
krt10
eskyman

your problem is you went to united. they are the whores of the petrolium industry
Old 16-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I will be staying with Ultimate after this, it just proves to me that it is a far superior fuel.

It will be interesting to see their response to my email though.
Old 16-11-2008, 08:58 PM   #28
Headsex
headsexTuned

Hey Russell,

I have a XR6 Turbo, tuned to the likes of 380rwkw or so.

Initially I tuned my car to run on Shell Vpower Racing (the 100 stuff).. Obviously because that has been pulled, I switched to the United Premium 100 stuff you talk off.

I Did however have to pull 1 degree timing at about 4750rpm in comparison to the shell 100, but overall, It allows me to run another 4-5 degrees timing over Conventional 98 fuels, and give me the likes of 30-40 extra rwkw at the same boost level as i would with a number 98.

In the past, when my car was tuned to 98 octane fuels, I tried a tank of shell 100, and noticed exactly what you described, it felt flat, and very lacking.. But This is linked to the fact your car is tuned for 98, rather than 100. If you had a full tank of 100, and got your tuner to retune it to suit 100, they will find they can wind some more timing into it accross the whole rev range, and as a benefit, more power

This is very well known in the xr6t community.. But yes, would require you to have a 98, and a 100 tune programmed into your flasher box.

ohh.. And I dont use Anything but 100.. I had to put ultimate 98 in once, it rattled its head off as you can imagine, and needed me to switch back to my 98 tune.. (which is the same boost, just less timing), and you can feel hell of a difference.

Old 16-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #29
dreadly
Banned

Caltex 98, or moblie synergy 8000
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #30
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

the problem with any ethonol blended fuel is that its stoich rating is different, your afr's would have leaned out to somewhere near 13.5 with it, which is also why it would have caused detonation cause it was just too lean.

Any normal standard car would have tuned around it if the o2's are in good working order, being that your car has been tuned, who knows if the adaptive learning has been turned off to some point. A lot of tuners will turn it off under certain load conditions cause with a large duration cam closed loop will cause hunting issue's and so on.