Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Default Setting up for Super Sedan

Hi all... Was thinking of setting the car up for super sedan class of drag racing... I am wondering if any body is running a super sedan falcon or simlar because i wanted to know the proces of obtaining a licence and log book and so on.. I also wanted to know aboutthe inspection and performance testing of the vehicle aswell.

I have a copy of the rule book and i think i have most of it under control.. I am planing on having a key for the boot to stay in the boot lock permanantly for easy access to the book and a triangle on the rear bar to indicate the batter is in the boot and so on... I will be leaving the interior out and also installing the cage.. All the small bits like overflow bottle should be an easy fix..

Any help would be great

Tony..

VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
reece1
reece1

hi tony have a look on the andra website, there should be a license form there you can download and fill out. pretty sure you have to get a medical also. as for tech inspectors they should have a list of contacts. best thing though is the rule book. have a good read of it. and there maybe some more people with better info on the dragster website.
hope this helps. i setting a car up for super sedan also. have fun
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Kewl thanks.. Yeh i will poke around abit more.. I just have alot of trouble with keeping a car like this on the street . e.g police hate me, not practicle so i think the drag scene will be the way to go to get my fix... Do you know if super sedan cars paricipate on wednesday night street meets? What car are you building there mate?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
reece1
reece1

you can keep it street rego depending on what you do. not sure about wed night meet i sure you can there seem to be plenty of super sedans out there on wed night from time to time.
i building up a xy for street and strip fun. its in the priject section. still got plenty to do. but its happening. do a project thread on you car transition to super sedan
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeh i havnt been to the track for a couple of month and just cant remember ss/a cars on wed but i think so. Well the reason i want to take the rego off is because i keep on getting defected and i cant enjoy the car without looking over my shoulder looking for the cops... Should be a fairly easy tranformation to get it there and will be fun to get the wheels up!

Good idea for a thread ill get onto that as soon as i sort out everything!

Ill ckeck out you thread to cheers

Tony!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Looking forward to seeing your car build up.

What model Falcon is it?

I'm about to get mine all sorted too for a little SS action.

Regarding Wed nights, I think you'll find that you can only run with mufflers on. Look at the WSID website calendar and you'll see quite a few Friday night ANDRA meets where you can go for it.

There's lots of little things like steel plates under your harness mounts, oil filter stops, dipstick springs etc, but as you've seen, the rule book covers it all.

You going a 4 or 6 point cage?

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Its an xa falcon 4 door in wild violet man... Yeh i had a read of the book and it does not go into too too too much detail but i get the basics of it all. Like i said im still thinking of all options and see what hapens.... In a perfect world we would all have a tough street car and a drag car on the side wouldnt we?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I also had called the wsid line and got a lady that was not realy helpfull and she went on to tell me car 11.00 and slower can only race and that the track is not preped at all. She alo went on to say is that no cars on wed use slicks which i found VERY hard to believe.. Not sure what the go is.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the wed meetings and ask the questions - you can then speak to the scrutineers and track officials about what they want. How fast are you thinking you will run and what are you using? Rules for NOS and forced induction are different from nat asp.
Another option is to get a hold of one of the official scrutineers phone number and tow the car around to their place for them to go over the whole lot and start your tech inspection. Most fellas are only too happy to be helpful and get you on the track.

I hope it's the xa in your avatar! Go the xa!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeh thats not a bad idea mate! Im running n/a and should be going mid to low 10's.. Its a basic build realy 393 c4 9 inch untubbed. I will speak with my engine builder about what path to take if i say yes. We will do a cage some chassis connectors and may tub it depends on how far i take it.. I think i will do what you say and poke around on a wednesday night and see what kind of answers i get. cheers
Old 17-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
Yeh thats not a bad idea mate! Im running n/a and should be going mid to low 10's.. Its a basic build realy 393 c4 9 inch untubbed. I will speak with my engine builder about what path to take if i say yes. We will do a cage some chassis connectors and may tub it depends on how far i take it.. I think i will do what you say and poke around on a wednesday night and see what kind of answers i get. cheers
Your best bet would be take it to the track first and if you do run a sub 11 pass the andra people will come running up to see you and steer you in the right direction, at least thats what I did back in the mid 80s, I still get a laugh out of it now when I think back, "Hi Vic Melli"

https://www.facebook.com/DragRacingT...2067110055900/

http://www.cacklingpipes.com/100825_...250810_025.JPG

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

The faster youve gone the worse your attitude
Rural 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau351
Your best bet would be take it to the track first and if you do run a sub 11 pass the andra people will come running up to see you and steer you in the right direction, at least thats what I did back in the mid 80s, I still get a laugh out of it now when I think back, "Hi Vic Melli"
Sorry, but i disagree. You put the officials off side by not doing the right thing. They have memories (some of them anyhow). You also run the risk of having to do some things twice on the car. Do it properly from the beginning.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

That is a good point you make... If you go down on a wed and run a low 10 with just a seat belt you are asking for trouble.. Im still tossing up what i want to do with the car. e.g race or make it more street legal..
Old 19-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is a good point you make... If you go down on a wed and run a low 10 with just a seat belt you are asking for trouble.. Im still tossing up what i want to do with the car. e.g race or make it more street legal..
It looks like a great car, why not just tame it down and make it more streetable and just buy a set-up race car? that way you keep your toy on the road, It will also probably be cheaper as second hand racecars go cheap.

Old 19-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Yeh well looking at cars for sale, there are $20,000 rolling shells thats are fully set up for race and just need engine and box.. Im in 2 minds because i think race and then the weekend comes and i see all the guys cruising around and i think to my self that il will stick to the street... I need to find a manifold that will suit the heads because there is no way i would get it under bonnet just by taking away the spacers... That would be the first step.
Old 19-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #16
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Why don't you just run a smaller scoop for the street? I know what you're saying about keeping things under the bonnet - it's downright hard!

I run a high-rise + 2" spacer and my carby is flush with the top of the bonnet. If you just ran a small 2 1/4" tall filter and smaller hornet scoop for street duties it should be OK. A JR or K&N still flow OK. Then when I hit the strip, I either just remove the scoop and use a 5" tall filter....with the option to refit your taller scoop. Your XA bonnet would have more room than my XD too.

When I first had the ANDRA officials hit me up it seemed all OK until I went back the next week! One guy took great pleasure in giving me a hard time and stopped me from running that meet until I got a heap of other things fixed up. So approaching them and getting someone from scrutineering to look over your car might be a good thing too.

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeh you make a good point there trublu but i was looking a total solution because i think having a "stock" looking car will be enough for the police and others to say ahhh hes ok its just a stocka but abit loud... so i would run my old 12 sots, standard bonnet and move the 2 guages on the outside in.. I will end up possibly putting a few more muflers on to to shut it up... I just want to drive and not get hassled... i am not out for trouble just for a cruise
Old 21-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #18
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

good luck with everything

ill be racing Super Sedan this season as well for the first time. cant wait

Sandtrap Motorsport's BF XR6T wagon -- to tow around the Capri ^^^

www.facebook.com/SandtrapMotorsport
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
Rural 351
1000+ passes

Quote:
Yeh you make a good point there trublu but i was looking a total solution because i think having a "stock" looking car will be enough for the police and others to say ahhh hes ok its just a stocka but abit loud... so i would run my old 12 sots, standard bonnet and move the 2 guages on the outside in.. I will end up possibly putting a few more muflers on to to shut it up... I just want to drive and not get hassled... i am not out for trouble just for a cruise
All the best with the car we all do things differently, I guess if it was me I would run drag radials, pull off your carbie spacer and run a std bonnet even gear it up a bit do some sorting out at street meets then when its sorted, put it in race trim then get your tech inspection licence and log book, By now you will know the car real well and go bracket racing

https://www.facebook.com/DragRacingT...2067110055900/

http://www.cacklingpipes.com/100825_...250810_025.JPG

XA coupe naturally, aspirated Cleveland, full exhaust, 98 oct pump gas, drag radials, Manual trans, 10.664 132 mph

The faster youve gone the worse your attitude
Rural 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:
I need to find a manifold that will suit the heads because there is no way i would get it under bonnet just by taking away the spacers... That would be the first step.
are you running the chi 3v manifold? you can get them machined down to fit under the bonnet. i got mine done a few weeks ago, hopefully i won't have any hassles closing the bonnet, but apparantly they fit.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #21
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeh i spoke with my engine builder and he said he has taken over an inch off 1... you running a dominator patter?
Old 24-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:
Yeh i spoke with my engine builder and he said he has taken over an inch off 1... you running a dominator patter?
nah mate.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #23
xw 427
BIG CUBES=POWER

cut down chi manifold will fit under the bonnet,but expect to lose some power.
Old 25-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeah thats the pan mate... Power loss is ok for the road. When power cruise and events like that come up i will space it up and put the scooped bonnet back on and should be good to go... Sweet!..
Old 30-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #25
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Where have you been driving it to get hassled?

I drive my XW most places during the day and night and haven't any problems yet, I have that massive 4in reverse cowl bonnet plus five Autometer gauges outside and loudish exhaust.

Maybe the baby seat in the back gives me some good luck "he aint a hoon, he's a family man taking his kid out for a drive" the Police think...

Rather than turns yours into a weekend racer tame it down, fit a normal driving seat, smaller scoop (possibly reverse cowl 4in high is legal) and a less noisy exhaust.

Cheers

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #26
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Hi Roy, I have been driving it in my area man... 1 time i was doing a drop off with 2 people in the back and the other time i was by my self just in my suburbs... I was thinking that to Roy, put a baby seat and then 2 wedding ribbons always straped to the car hahaha...

Yeh i have sorted out a plan and to get it legal... Im gone throw the 12 slots on with a standard bonnet and a smaller exhaust system. I will keep the scooped bonnet and when the time comes just space it up and it will be back to its full potential.

As long as i can get away with it to go for a cruise im fine.. When power cruise and the like comes along i can just swap it all back and go and have some fun.

Any feed back would be great Roy

Cheers
Old 01-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #27
HP-0351
1409hp 1190lb.ft 18psi...

Yeah it's amazing what you can get away with with ribbons attached!

My brother has a Blown 67 Mustang with 6/71 hanging out of the bonnet and it never gets pulled up ribbons on or not!

Go with the stock bonnet and perhaps a little wider front convos for the street to keep it legal?

Either way they will be simple swap overs when it comes time to race it at WSID.

Cheers

The Daily 2003 BA GT Falcon http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11367185

The Weekender: 1971 Twin Turbo XY Falcon
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....=twin+turbo+xy
HP-0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Seems like the best way there Roy.. Mind you i saw Peter from Platinum Bodyworks cruising his xw last night with big scoop and spooled diff along with a stock set of 12 slots.. I must have had abit of bad luck but its all about getting back up and out on the street so i will change these things and try again! Cheers
Old 01-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #29
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP-0351
Where have you been driving it to get hassled?

I drive my XW most places during the day and night and haven't any problems yet, I have that massive 4in reverse cowl bonnet plus five Autometer gauges outside and loudish exhaust.

Maybe the baby seat in the back gives me some good luck "he aint a hoon, he's a family man taking his kid out for a drive" the Police think...

Rather than turns yours into a weekend racer tame it down, fit a normal driving seat, smaller scoop (possibly reverse cowl 4in high is legal) and a less noisy exhaust.

Cheers
Agree with you Roy, mine isnt exactly a tame street car, its pretty loud even with mufflers and resonators, not to mention a 6 point roll cage and sparco racing seat.
I drive it very slowly on the street and dont drive in the usual places where you should expect tp be picked up, just last wednesday I ran a 10 second pass at wsid, swapped tyres and left, on our way home we stopped at maccas on the M4, as is our usual routine with my group of mates, at the time the hoon squad was there on their break, 5 unmarked typhoons in the car park, I pulled in first in my usual easy slow fashion, and even with race numbers on the windows I didnt get hassled, one of the older officers actually came over and had a chat about the car, complimented me on it and with a "have a safe night" went on his way..

Sometimes its all about attitude, in saying that its just good sense not to go to overboard with visual mods, mine has no scoop at all, and the cage is very stealth..

Good idea to make the car a little more toned down VioletGT, its not like you need a drag setup for street cruising, I bet you cant even use half the power on the roads..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Yeh i know what u mean and never give the police any attitude at all when they pull me over i just agree and go along with what they tell me... I see ALOT ALOT ALOT of loud cars but all apear stock even bikes e.g harleys.. So i think even if i cant keep it down to a legal point as long as it apears stock and a tad loud im sure they will turn the other way.. BTW i saw an xa in silver with a manual go a 10 on the 29th july at wsid was that you?