Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Street Car Racing?

I was have having a conversation last night with a few mates about all the ins and outs of Street Cars, Opened, unopened etc drag racing

For the first time ever I was forced to do a flip flop :
To be more specific:-
In this day and age, really what is the point of a fast street car. There are no classes, scrutineering or even prizes for that matter at a test and tune so why brag that your car is a streeter other than the fact that you drove it there and hopefully :P home. Andra events are DYO so that is a mute point to I guess.

I have always been a staunch believer in having a fast street car was harder than pulling out seats, NOS and fitting drag rubber etc but as was pointed out to me the day of a geniune traffic light grand prix seems to be a thing of the past. So who cares how fast your car is in street trim other than the plod that gives you the ticket?

I am just wondering if anyone else sees it in a similiar vein these days?

Consider this thread an apology for all those that I might of belittled for going the extra lengths to get the best ET their car is capable of in any way, shape or form

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think your on the money. There is no need for a fast street car unless your into the whole illegal street racing thing. Although it is fun outrunning cars to the speed limit

While it may be fun for those 4 seconds or less getting to above 100kms/hr - thats where your licence is going to disappear.

I wouldnt take the risk getting above 130 on our lovely victorian roads. A year without my license would cost me more than just the ticket price in public transport.

I am getting my torana registered purely so I can drive it to the track and back home again.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Although it is fun outrunning cars to the speed limit
Yea but now with all the 'new' anti-hooning laws and legislation being enforced that is just as 'risky' as speeding.. That was my point aswell when I started losing the arguement, but alas that got shot down too :(

Old 11-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Well it depends on the interpretation of fast street car. Firstly let me say that racing on the street is ridiculous.The population here in Sydney has sky rocketted. The danger has skyrocketted.The chance of a kid running in front of you has skyrocketted.Driver errors have also gone up.
I admit that having good power on the street is an advantage when overtaking or getting out of some dangerous situations. Here though with the amount of traffic it seems my average speed is around 40kays limited by congestion.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you've misinterpreted "fast street car" with some help from various forums? It's more of being able to drive to and from the strip legally than spending big $ towing. Race meets get expensive when trailer hire is involved. It also increases fuel usage on the tow vehicle.

This is my definition of a "fast street car".

It's basically a car that will run down the strip fast (in whatever trim takes your fancy) and drives home all nice and legal. It's about taking that very same car on cruises and drives where ever you like. No collecting dust in the garage. Coming out only on strip or dyno days.

Don't get confused with all the BA/BF/LS1 jargon. They keep creating bracket just to make sure they are the fastest? EG : fastest shoelace I reckon it's : None of this opened/unopened BS.

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 11-04-2006 at 02:51 PM.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

But are you talking people who have built a fast street car to just simply brag or people have built it for themselves to enjoy, I think you can have 2 classes of cars, and personally I like to belong to the 2nd one.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Yea but now with all the 'new' anti-hooning laws and legislation being enforced that is just as 'risky' as speeding.. That was my point aswell when I started losing the arguement, but alas that got shot down too :(
God help the day where we all drive a 4cyl daily or similar, and the only memory of tough street cars are in picture books and films like an extinct mamal.

I think there will be plenty of tough street being legaly driven for many years to come.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

what is the point of a fast street car? I think I need to check your temperature buddy!

For those of us building classics, the thought of NOT having a powerful engine under the bonnet is unthinkable. In a classic car, you want that feeling of oprah winfrey(Fat 1990's Oprah) standing on your chest when you pull into the street, you want that sound coming from the motor as the 8 roars to life, you want your car to be an animal that you can keep controlled and when required on the strip, let it lose.

For some of us, our cars are our identity. They say something about the person we are, they reflect our tastes and choices. I want the girls on Rundle street to go gooey in the nether regions when they see the car, I want the boys in their VK commodores to feel inferior(because they are) and hell yes, I do like the attention.

If I am to be labelled a hoon because im not driving a 3 cylinder fart cannon, then so be it. It will however be a cold day in hell when i alter my lifestyle due to the hand wringing and whining of a group of volvo driving policy makers who would rather keep the media monster satisfied through responding to their tabloid journalism through legislation than address real issues in society.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'll keep making my fast street car thanks. I do it for me, no one else.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Preach it sourbastard, that ИИИИ's gospel brother!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

You guys seem to be missing my point.. It not talking about driving a slow street car, I am moreso talking about is it worth these days getting the most out of your car in street trim... I am all for bitumen ripping streeters but my point was that if you car can go 1/2 second faster on the track do you bother? or do you go ИИИИ the 1/2 a second I want my car to go slower but then list 101 excuses about spare wheels, street tyres and a boot full of tools etc.. THe point I was advocating until last night was the second option, slower but 'everyday' set-ups got my vote, but now I have flipped and can't see the point..

Old 11-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #12
rodderz

What I would give to have a fast street car back again.... this 4 cylinder work jobbie ute wouldnt pull your uncle off ya aunty

Hopefully a new car in the new year when the business is all leveled out!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You guys seem to be missing my point.. It not talking about driving a slow street car, I am moreso talking about is it worth these days getting the most out of your car in street trim... I am all for bitumen ripping streeters but my point was that if you car can go 1/2 second faster on the track do you bother? or do you go ИИИИ the 1/2 a second I want my car to go slower but then list 101 excuses about spare wheels, street tyres and a boot full of tools etc.. THe point I was advocating until last night was the second option, slower but 'everyday' set-ups got my vote, but now I have flipped and can't see the point..
Strip and street tyres in my eye ain't real bright but it does save on some mechanical failures. I can see their point to a degree. I know my own car on the strip with a street tyre is useless.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I see what you mean. Is it worth making a distinction between a "track weapon" and a "quick daily driver". In the end the answer is no, there is not real point haveing a car that you are actually racing that is limited by "street use needs" as these street needs will always be a compromise. Things like spare wheels, back seats, suspension that can handle speed humps are all compromises. For an outright race effort all can be removed or replaced with more "race effective" items.

Now, all that said, there is a lot of respect that goes with a true streeter. If you take 2 identical cars it is often easier and cheaper to take the "pure race" option over the fast streeter as these compromises can be simply avoided. Of course, to get the streeter to the same level without compromising the street use requirements requires a lot more cash, thought and often some unorthadox ideas. The mother of invention really.

So is there any value is a "streeter" over a pure race car? No, not really.. but they are probably as if not more respected for the achievement.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #15
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
So is there any value is a "streeter" over a pure race car? No, not really.. but they are probably as if not more respected for the achievement.
Yes. You don't have big $ sitting in the garage you can't enjoy on a weekend without going to the strip.

I could never justify making my XB a 100% drag car unless I raced it every week. Which I don't. That's a lot of $ to have sitting there growing old.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Yes. You don't have big $ sitting in the garage you can't enjoy on a weekend without going to the strip.

I could never justify making my XB a 100% drag car unless I raced it every week. Which I don't. That's a lot of $ to have sitting there growing old.
Yes, but do you turn up at the Xmas tree and cut a 12 or do you get there early and fit drag rubber, remove sway bars, drop pipes etc to cut an 11.. This is my point, I think that if you can drive the car home 'legally' whatever tricks you can do to get that 11 second pass has imho become the way to go...

Old 11-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I'm using my pursuit as a means to advertise my buissness and what it can do for a customers car, I drive my car to the track and change rear tyres only and then race it.

I have tried several things and changed them to a combo that I have proved works, so i can give customers a truthful account of what their mods will do, not the sales brochure pitch of "fit this part and you will gain 13 kw ' etc etc

I also have a 460 ZC fairlane, but that car will be towed out with no pipes etc to race, it will be towed by my pursuit as it is now, at least I know I'll have enough power to tow

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #18
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, but do you turn up at the Xmas tree and cut a 12 or do you get there early and fit drag rubber, remove sway bars, drop pipes etc to cut an 11.. This is my point, I think that if you can drive the car home 'legally' whatever tricks you can do to get that 11 second pass has imho become the way to go...
Plenty of e series owners witnessed what I do. I drive 200k's, swap tyres (spend 10 mins sorting it). Then I ran 11.8, swapped the tyres back and drove the 200k's home. You'll see that on my website in the videos.

I'm yet to try the 393. Can't have the pipes on for that. They're too small for the CI. They're the pipes built for the 351. My whole exhaust system is a jigsaw. It takes less than 5 mins to remove and around 10mins to fit. I'm yet to set the exhaust up for the 393. Money is preventing it.

I never play with the suspension @ all. It's still 100% street legal suspension. I'd like to try one day though.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #19
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
I see what you mean tibbo. Personally, yes, do whatever you can to get the lower time, the fact that its no longer streetable once you alter it at the track to me is irrelevant, for we are no longer on the street, we are at the track, and we play by their rules.

For others though, I guess its more of a personal decision, and what they want to achieve, which determines how they go about it. If someone wants to prove to themselves that my car goes xx.xx in street trim everyday mode, that is their decision. Some people think, as I drive my car like this everyday, I want to see what my everyday car can do, in everyday trim.

For others, they just want the lower time, and thats fine too. It depends on the persons reasoning.

Comparing two cars in two different trims though, is probably like comparing oranges and apples, and no doubt leads to much bad blood between competitors.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #20
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole point of drag racing is to win/go fast. Why cripple your car and times? I don't see the point in doing it.

I tried exhaust on and off with my old 351. It made no difference. The only benifit is exhaust off I could hear what the car was doing better through the helmet.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #21
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I think if the numbers bug bites you start trying what you can,untill recently I hadn't used slicks, I have never had my crappy 2.5" pipes off yet,weight reduction? I think Ill try them all once I fix my crappy clutch. The trap is you always want to go faster so you spend/swap/change in a never ending merry go round but that's the fun of it isn't it
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #22
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I think if the numbers bug bites you start trying what you can,untill recently I hadn't used slicks, I have never had my crappy 2.5" pipes off yet,weight reduction? I think Ill try them all once I fix my crappy clutch. The trap is you always want to go faster so you spend/swap/change in a never ending merry go round but that's the fun isn't it
Spot on. Once it bites, it bites hard Oh how my wallet and wife hate me. The bank loves me though. Least someone does.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #23
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I think if the numbers bug bites you start trying what you can,untill recently I hadn't used slicks, I have never had my crappy 2.5" pipes off yet,weight reduction? I think Ill try them all once I fix my crappy clutch. The trap is you always want to go faster so you spend/swap/change in a never ending merry go round but that's the fun of it isn't it
Couldnt have said it better, built a 378 combo in an XC and that was fine... for a while. You get sick of chasing all the lighter cars, Toranas ,Capris etc, so go that route. Its a never ending circle, but theres nothing else like it
Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, what I'd have gave for an engineer to have said yes to my old 351C in a cortina Formalities are kill joys. I didn't want to pay $10k for someone elses engineered race failure.

Wouldn't mind a V8 capri either. I have trouble reaching the pedals in a capri though. They are always just out of reach $ wise.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #25
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Oh, what I'd have gave for an engineer to have said yes to my old 351C in a cortina Formalities are kill joys. I didn't want to pay $10k for someone elses engineered race failure.

Wouldn't mind a V8 capri either. I have trouble reaching the pedals in a capri though. They are always just out of reach $ wise.
I still kick myself for not buying an engineered capri for 4 grand two years ago,and with all the money I've spent on the XA something like thats out of reach for now, but running a quick pass in a full weight falcon is just as impressive if a little slower
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #26
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
I think that if you can drive the car home 'legally' whatever tricks you can do to get that 11 second pass has imho become the way to go...
Racecraft, I understand what you are saying, and I feel the same way. Why do people sandbag a run by doing it in "street" trim?

I'll be pulling off the tailgate, the spare wheel, tools, all the shi t e inside the car, as well as the front swaybar before i go to WSID tomorrow night.

...i dont drive it that way on the street, but I dont do a burnout to prep my tyres everytime i pull up to a set of traffic lights either :P

Go hard or go home :sm_headba

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #27
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I remove my spare and Jack, the way I drive to the track is how I race the car.
Weight is 1910 kg with driver and helmet 1/2 a tank of Fuel; it was weighed on an accreted truck bridge in Brooklyn.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #28
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

i would of thought for street you would keep everything steet, except maybe takin the jack out and the spare, so i mean you can sit down the street and say my car pulls a 13 to someone and be able to take it somewhere staright away and be able to do that. i may be wrong but thats the way i look at it.
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #29
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
I remove my spare and Jack, the way I drive to the track is how I race the car.
Weight is 1910 kg with driver and helmet 1/2 a tank of Fuel; it was weighed on an accreted truck bridge in Brooklyn.
When i ran at Wizard a few weeks back i had mine on the bridge during scru and it weight in at 41**lb's, nothing removed and a full tank. Add another 9ok's for me and it's pushing nearly 2oookg's.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #30
duncanwhite

Default 4wd

I agree. Next car I want to get a MWB ~1985 landcruise and drop a v8 in. That way the power can be usefull.
duncanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post