Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #211
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Social media, and therefore irresponsible individuals, is to blame for much of the panic, hysteria and misinformation being spread.
Social media has given a platform to every wacky idea and conspiracy theory.

Once highly respected professions like doctors and scientists are now being called liars by people with nothing more than YouTube quals themselves.

We now have 911 doubters, moon landing doubters, anti vaxers, chem trail believers etc etc and social media has enabled them to group together and thereby feel more justified in their wild claims.

The current Covid virus problem is being exacerbated by these types of people who somehow 'know better' than the best scientific minds and advice available.

Everything gets questioned ad nauseum and that creates doubt in some leading to fear and panic.
It's time to be reasonable rather than add to the hysteria by making stupid statements based on nothing but gut feelings or as Stuart Littlemore once said "simplistic answers to complex questions"
Thalidomide...
Old 19-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #212
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
What planes?
You mean besides the 83 international flight arrivals TODAY?

Qantas might be canning flights, but they arent the only carrier.
Old 19-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #213
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ya gotta laugh at the contradictory messages from the so called professionals.
Im currently watching Sky News Extra with a Host and three women discussing the biggest issues including school closures, one woman said children should be kept away from school where possible, another woman said evidence from Singapore suggests it has no benefit and we should follow their lead.
Then the first woman said Singapore has been on the front foot and tested 3 times as many people as we have with a population 1/5th of the size so they have a better grasp of whats actually happening, so the second woman says Singapore is different to us so we don't need to do what they're doing.

hang on, where school attendances are concerned they point to Singapore as the test case of how to act, but where testing is concerned they are different to us.

The message im getting from that exchange is that expert advise is acceptable so long as it fits our narrative and capabilities.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-03-2020 at 01:56 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #214
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did I hear on the news today that the UK government is going to be effecting mortgage relief for a few months to help mortgage owners.

Last couple of years has been intense media commentary about housing bubble in Sydney and Melbourne and effect higher interest rates would have on defaults....

This Covid 19 with loss of employment extending what- 6 months-12 months-16 months- has the potential to be devastating on mortgage defaults....

I have a niece who has a wedding photography business- has lost all bookings over the next 3 months and is devastated and stressed as to how she is going to survive in Melbourne....

Time to batten down the hatches, hoard and buy guns to defend the hoarded goodies....oh no- wrong country

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #215
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Did I hear on the news today that the UK government is going to be effecting mortgage relief for a few months to help mortgage owners.

Last couple of years has been intense media commentary about housing bubble in Sydney and Melbourne and effect higher interest rates would have on defaults....

This Covid 19 with loss of employment extending what- 6 months-12 months-16 months- has the potential to be devastating on mortgage defaults....
Yeah, im sorta thinking where Australia is concerned, those 10x annual wage mortgaged purchases we're fine while everything was rosie, now its all gone belly up those people who've driven house prices up through greed and stupidity should suffer the consequences of their decisions.

They cant have their cake and eat it too.

A good time for a reset on that front and Govco gets a free kick at COVIDS expense in letting it happen.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #216
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Let's get back to real life important stuff for a moment

I went and voted in our local council elections yesterday, there were 16 people on the ticket and I said to the electoral lady person that I wanted to be inclusive today and if she could point out to me the black women on the list.

At least I got a hearty laugh.

Us oldies can take social risks because we will all be dead soon from the virus.
Ya old bastard I'll miss you.

But I'll still help bring your demise
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #217
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Rumours are QANTAS has forced staff onto leave without pay.

Can anyone verify?
Old 19-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #218
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

A good time for a reset on that front and Govco gets a free kick at COVIDS expense in letting it happen.
This, a bloody good time to look at the whole system, not one Government would tough negative gearing while it was keeping the place alive..time to go.

We just recently put the majority of our cash into a term deposit and I was sooking about 1.5%..maybe its not that bad as long as the bak stays afloat!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #219
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They cant have their cake and eat it too
You can bet any changes to negative gearing only apply to anyone buying from now on, and if theres mortgage relief, it will apply to investors too. Gotta keep the house of cards propped up.
Old 19-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #220
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Rumours are QANTAS has forced staff onto leave without pay.

Can anyone verify?
Qantas to ground international flights, stand down two-thirds of staff

https://www.theage.com.au/business/c...19-p54bmh.html

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 19-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #221
superyob
Banned

Quote:
'Professionals' or 'experts' are in obeisance to the people who pay them to come up with the 'correct' findings...
Old 19-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #222
superyob
Banned

[QUOTE=b0son;6412964 It's abundantly clear Scott Morrison can only be described as a guy that won a vote. He's no leader....[/QUOTE]

Agreed...
Old 19-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #223
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Anyone else see that page from a book? Something about a virus originating in Wuhan in 2020.

Book is old, like 80's old.

Saw it on FB but can't find it now, wondering if it was legit?
Saw that too. Interesting.

Last edited by PridenJoy; 19-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #224
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

As if this virus pandemic isn't tough enough on a bloke, some guy on TV plans to expose his stimulus package to me missus...again
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #225
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Saw that too. Interesting.

Yeah, only if you read the circled bits. The rest is wrong. Broken watch is right twice a day is the best way to describe it.
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #226
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

The mental gymnastics and backflips are if anything priceless:

1. China tells WHO there is little risk of person to person transmission (fact January 14)
  2. Wuhan virus, officially recognized by WHO as COVID-19 (yes it did originate in China in 2019)
  3. WHO, everything is OK and under control, as Virus spreads across the globe
  4. In the global pandemic race, Australia wins by declaring a pandemic before WHO
  5. We declared a pandemic first, and we've had 2 weeks head start
  6. No need to close borders = borders closed
  7. I'm off to the footy, but not tonight
  8. AR, AFL, NRL, Festivals (just about everyone) seeking government bailouts
  9. No cash handouts, as cash handouts being discussed
  10. Let's have the all the NRL teams move to FNQ
  11. Relying on the best medical advice, CMO "Australian's should prepare for the virus to spread" (and GovCo can't understand why people are panicking) Cognitive Issues perhaps?
  12. Everything is under control = this could take 6 months to resolve
  13. Rush on TP, no need to worry amply supply, working 24x7x365, weeks later still no TP supply
  14. Groups of less than 500 people are perfectly Ok and safe (does this mean the virus cannot count beyond 499?), but groups of 100 people are safer
  15. Social Distantancing, 1.5-metre distancing is OK, which now becomes 1 person per 4 square meters (at least Australia has sufficient land area, and luckily my house meets the new criteria, suggested wife sleep outside)
  16. Don't listen to social media, only listen to GovCo
  17. Sunrise Channel 7: Is hand sanitiser better than soap?
  18. Just wash your hands!
  19. We're flattening the curve, maybe they'll take the bumps out of our roads next?
  20. No need to panic = cops in the supermarkets
  21. Hoarding is un-Australian, and we're going to get you
  22. $750 million rescue package for the Airlines - the next day Qantas sacks (sorry stands down) most of its workforce
  23. Schools will stay open they're safe because Singapore says so (I guess the UK and most of the world doesn't trust Singapore?)
  24. Tasmania closes its borders, succession from the Commonwealth is next objective
  25. Qld Government votes itself a break for 6 months (full pay off course)
  26. Courts close, criminals rejoice
  27. Overseas illicit drug supply in disarray, now facing ruin because international flights have stopped
  28. Racist to call it the Chinese Coronavirus, what does that mean for a "Boston Steamer"?
  29. RBA, rates become 0.50%, then 0.25% do I hear 0.00%?
  30. Massive fines for breaching self-isolation, potential new revenue stream for the states
  31. The world's eyes are on Tom Hanks, he recovers and is now forgotten about

It's been very busy, and we've only just started!
7 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 04:19 PM   #227
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yeah, only if you read the circled bits. The rest is wrong. Broken watch is right twice a day is the best way to describe it.
Also important to note that the original edition of the book referred to the bioweapon as Gorki-400.

For the 1989 edition onwards, the novel's bioweapon was renamed Wuhan-400 (likely due to the end of the Cold War).

Hardly an accurate prediction of what we are currently experiencing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 05:14 PM   #228
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
How good are they? I'm looking forward to their non flexibility causing a ****load of mortgage defaults and they all flood the market with repossessed houses

The damage that this will cause is immense if we cop huge numbers of casual job losses, imagine if the hospitality industry closes.
I remember when Whitlam stupid total incompetence destroyed my old mans business and many other business went under back in the day, then when Keating destroyed the old mans business again as well as all the rest, that went like wild fire everyone got caught out because they had no money to pay you for the work that you did or they would not pay you. I don't remember the government giving a toss to anyone.
I remember watching the News at times and we knew what was in store for us the next day, no one is going to pay you and you had no work.

I remember getting shafted all the time as well working for the old man and not getting payed for 6 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks you name it and below the going rate, worked 7 days a week 10hr and 12hr days at least. payed half rate and for 8hr work only.
So I learned to save money and when working for myself I could handle 3 months out of work, you could always find work but it was not worth working for $3hr in your hand after tax and all if you were lucky or it cost you to work or you never got payed for a job and if I were to try get the dole I would of just been told to f off directly as your a contractor.
On top of all this people said what's the problem man in total ignorance and I would say well come on lets see you deal with such in reality, 1 week without pay and they would have a total spack attack the good for nothing bludgers would go on strike, it would be oh me oh my being hit with reality f that's savage, when most are living in a fantasy world.

And people are worried about no work for 3 months everyone should be able to deal with that, if not they will have to dig into there Super. hard times ahead.
Old 19-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #229
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

One thing is certain folks; we are screwed because the virus will come and go but the fallout from the economic wreckage will impact us all for much longer then the virus.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #230
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
The mental gymnastics and backflips are if anything priceless:

It's been very busy, and we've only just started!
And the biggest question is .... now that Tasmania have "closed their boarders", how do we keep it permanently closed off from the rest of Australia?
Old 19-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #231
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
And the biggest question is .... now that Tasmania have "closed their boarders", how do we keep it permanently closed off from the rest of Australia?
Careful, if roddy1960 reads that, you'll be given a lecture on how relevant and important Tasmania is. And be asked to show some respect.

4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 09:36 PM   #232
DaveD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fm-bnk.jpg (100.0 KB, 267 views)
4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #233
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Couldn't agree more.

Tasmania far better in many ways.
Old 19-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #234
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im currently watching Sky News Extra with a Host and three women discussing the biggest issues including school closures, one woman said children should be kept away from school where possible, another woman said evidence from Singapore suggests it has no benefit and we should follow their lead.
Then the first woman said Singapore has been on the front foot and tested 3 times as many people as we have with a population 1/5th of the size so they have a better grasp of whats actually happening, so the second woman says Singapore is different to us so we don't need to do what they're doing.

hang on, where school attendances are concerned they point to Singapore as the test case of how to act, but where testing is concerned they are different to us.

The message im getting from that exchange is that expert advise is acceptable so long as it fits our narrative and capabilities.

Everyone is just saying whatever suits their opinion at the time.

Scotty from marketing said kids should attend school because they are often asymptomatic.
The next day said kids are banned from nursing homes and somewhere else because they're usually asymptomatic and vulnerable people need to be protected
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #235
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Fun fact: who here knew/knows that Victoria and Tasmania actually share a land-locked border?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 19-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #236
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Careful, if roddy1960 reads that, you'll be given a lecture on how relevant and important Tasmania is. And be asked to show some respect.
Well, Tasmania has a problem. From the Tasmanian government web site they receive about $5.2B in funding from the Feds. How is that money going to get across the "closed" boarder? Speedboat it across Bass Straight like a drug runner does?
Old 19-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #237
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope we come out better on other side but this time we're about to feel the pain unlike the GFC where we relatively cruised through. There is no cushion and I think most people know it was not roses before this.

I actually was made redundant back then but that was when I lived at home to and it didn't really matter much to me.

Now 10+ years on I have a mortgage but I have been putting heaps into extra payments so I have a very healthy redraw and whatever is left of my super by then if I need to tap it.

Unfortunately others live week to week and that's where the real damage will be done. They were already doing it rough.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 01:15 AM   #238
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Unfortunately others live week to week and that's where the real damage will be done. They were already doing it rough.
Not helped at all by a combination of rental growth relative to wages, casualisation and wage stagnation. If UBS are right and houses do fall by 20%, maybe overall living costs will go down, people will start spending and the economy can recover quicker.

High house prices have been great for landlords, but have been a drag on the economy for the last decade.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 02:03 AM   #239
bungarra

Given the millions that GovCo has given already to big business and the other billions lined up, why does GovCo not just say, we have a population of 25 million, ~14 million taxpayers, anyone who paid tax in the last two years, here is 1 million dollars go kick start the economy.

I know the smart people will pay off the mortgage which frees up money for the banks and from the average punters pay packet.

Many will go out and buy new gadgets for the house etc as we can not go far for holidays with borders closed, so promote holidays in home states, especially in regional areas.

A few would go stupid, that's life and a few would save some and when able to travel, would go on holidays to other states, a nice holiday in the Tasmanian Republic maybe.

I know, it's not how business want their hand outs.

Surely that would be better
Old 20-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #240
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Not helped at all by a combination of rental growth relative to wages, casualisation and wage stagnation. If UBS are right and houses do fall by 20%, maybe overall living costs will go down, people will start spending and the economy can recover quicker.

High house prices have been great for landlords, but have been a drag on the economy for the last decade.
House prices are certainly a problem but I doubt it is the problem of the workers I was talking about.

People working casual jobs where they might have otherwise been PT or FT jobs is a big problem and has been before this.
Closed Thread