Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2020, 09:43 AM   #241
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Everyone

The forum rules are quite clear...

1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, politics, sensitive or controversial subjects except at the discretion of the admin team.

If you want to post that sort of stuff then try Facebook.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #242
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Good to see business is doing their part in combating COVID-19. My household is now getting bombarded with junk-mail telling me how supportive they are and will continue to be. I will keep these flyers for future reference.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #243
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

With all the Aussies trapped OS rather than them trying to arrange a private plane why can't the government step in and use one of the many hundreds of grounded local planes or something from the military?

It would stop the possible profiteering that will happen.

Whole bunch of Aussies stranded in Peru, yet the US and Mexican governments have already flown their citizens home.

Nothing could be worse then the prospect of being stranded in a country for an indefinite period of time with possibly quickly diminishing funds and unstable social situation.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 20-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #244
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ya gotta laugh at the contradictory messages from the so called professionals.
Im currently watching Sky News Extra with a Host and three women discussing the biggest issues including school closures, one woman said children should be kept away from school where possible, another woman said evidence from Singapore suggests it has no benefit and we should follow their lead.
Then the first woman said Singapore has been on the front foot and tested 3 times as many people as we have with a population 1/5th of the size so they have a better grasp of whats actually happening, so the second woman says Singapore is different to us so we don't need to do what they're doing.

hang on, where school attendances are concerned they point to Singapore as the test case of how to act, but where testing is concerned they are different to us.

The message im getting from that exchange is that expert advise is acceptable so long as it fits our narrative and capabilities.
You've got to laugh at the government and health agencies. Not one message about how the population should build its immune system while the government waits for its corporate masters, the pharmaceutical industry, to make a vaccine to 'save everyone'.

Pharma has zero interest in people getting healthy, fighting off illness and sickness, they profit off people being sick, that's their business model!

I'll take the government seriously when they tell people to build their immune systems by eating healthy, taking vitamins and minerals, stop eating and drinking the poison in foods and water.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #245
Work Horse
Budget Racer

They have no vaccine for Covid 19 as yet but when they do it causes autism.
Old 20-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #246
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
You've got to laugh at the government and health agencies.
Donald Trump announced he's making chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine available to treat Covid-19 in the US. They're antimalarials which have had some early clinical trials done, with significant success.

You can get them here too if you can find a GP willing to prescribe them off-label. $20 for a box of 100 tablets. 1 course = 10 tablets.

I wonder how our government will respond....
Old 20-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #247
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Donald Trump announced he's making chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine available to treat Covid-19 in the US. They're antimalarials which have had some early clinical trials done, with significant success.

You can get them here too if you can find a GP willing to prescribe them off-label. $20 for a box of 100 tablets. 1 course = 10 tablets.

This clinical trial is being done in Wuhan, no media coverage.

Maybe because a natural product cant be patented government and industry has no interest because no money can be made from it.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533
Old 20-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #248
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
This clinical trial is being done in Wuhan, no media coverage.
The first clinical trial on chloroquine was done in Wuhan too. Chloroquine has been around for decades so is off-patent.

Other countries are replicating the chloroquine work now, not the vitamin C AFAIK.

I have both at home, but I know which one I will turn to first if I get sick.
Old 20-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #249
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

GovCo hasn’t been talking about vaccines or cures much at all. Finding a cure is a bit like watching the evening channel 7 news, every week on-queue they have some new story about a revolutionary cure for cancer being developed and it is just around the corner (just around the corner = 5 years away).

Not ruling out Trumps claims but there needs to a consistent approach and willingness from numerous Health departments to trial these drugs and then quickly either confirm or not confirm. Unfortunately the “not invented here and must be junk” mentality prevails amongst some of the medical fraternity.

Last edited by cheap; 20-03-2020 at 12:54 PM.
Old 20-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #250
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The first clinical trial on chloroquine was done in Wuhan too. Chloroquine has been around for decades so is off-patent.

Other countries are replicating the chloroquine work now, not the vitamin C AFAIK.

I have both at home, but I know which one I will turn to first if I get sick.
Me too, it wont be the pharma product. 3 out of 5 pharma drugs rushed to market have been recalled because of adverse or deadly side effects. Think Vioxx.
Old 20-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #251
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Good to see business is doing their part in combating COVID-19. My household is now getting bombarded with junk-mail telling me how supportive they are and will continue to be. I will keep these flyers for future reference.
Got to love the emails from the banks talking about how they are there for us all in these hard times

What a load of farking garbage. CBA already refusing to pass on the emergency interest rate cut to variable rate home loans, only passing it on to loans locked in for 1, 2 or 3 years.

Profiteering in an emergency. Keep it classy CBA
5 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #252
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chloroquine is not a new drug. It gets prescribed to people going to countries with malaria.

Hydroxychloroquine is a less toxic version of it (prolonged use of chloroquine has side effects; fewer issues with hydroxychloroquine).

Trial paper here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/186B...IlWSHnGbj/view

Works especially well in combo with azithromycin (antibiotic)
Old 20-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #253
superyob
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrtwXqqc6g

My Sharona parody...
2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #254
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have work in Sydney next week- booked an apartment in Sydney CBD with balcony, called a skyview apartment or whatever situated above level 25, separate bedroom, lounge etc.

$135 per night, I loaded on another night for ****s and giggles after the hearing-one benefit of Covid 19- cheap accommodation!!!!

After I have done the work stuff next week I will be buggered- I plan to sit on the balcony and drink a bottle of red and view the sci fi covid 19 scene down below....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 20-03-2020 at 02:56 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #255
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
With all the Aussies trapped OS rather than them trying to arrange a private plane why can't the government step in and use one of the many hundreds of grounded local planes or something from the military?

It would stop the possible profiteering that will happen.

Whole bunch of Aussies stranded in Peru, yet the US and Mexican governments have already flown their citizens home.

Nothing could be worse then the prospect of being stranded in a country for an indefinite period of time with possibly quickly diminishing funds and unstable social situation.
Ain’t gettin me on no plane without a fight, diminishing funds or not!
No TP, flour, rice, pasta or chocolate chip cookie punch-ups here!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
5 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #256
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

During the bushfire crisis, we had so many queries from gringos, from Canadians, even from the local Ticos, regarding if the fires were affecting our families and friends back home, and wishing us luck... Genuine sentiments too.
Now, it’s “Hey Charlie, how ya off for toilet paper? You Aussies are feckin nuts”
Both examples from typical sensationalist media of course!
To an extent, they are correct though... Australia HAS gone nuts
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 20-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #257
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Got to love the emails from the banks talking about how they are there for us all in these hard times

What a load of farking garbage. CBA already refusing to pass on the emergency interest rate cut to variable rate home loans, only passing it on to loans locked in for 1, 2 or 3 years.

Profiteering in an emergency. Keep it classy CBA
Having said that, I believe they did also increase the rates on some savings account well above the rate drop (so, totally opposite to what they would assume to do).

First time a bank has done that in Australian history apparently.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Old 20-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #258
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
During the bushfire crisis, we had so many queries from gringos, from Canadians, even from the local Ticos, regarding if the fires were affecting our families and friends back home, and wishing us luck... Genuine sentiments too.
Now, it’s “Hey Charlie, how ya off for toilet paper? You Aussies are feckin nuts”
My boss in japan said it was the same there a while back.

It’s happening everywhere
Old 20-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #259
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Current numbers for Australia: 876 positive cases, 7 deaths, 46 total recovered.

But those numbers are very much false!

With the way we are limiting the testing, the real number of positive cases would be closer to 3 times that!
Old 20-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #260
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Current numbers for Australia: 876 positive cases, 7 deaths, 46 total recovered.

With the way we are limiting the testing, the real number of positive cases would be closer to 3 times that!
Well, someone on the radio predicted around that much by today.

With the rate it's spreading the prediction is 24,000 by mid April.

Old 20-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #261
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:

So, 876x3=2268 pos cases with 7 deaths, that would make the fatality rate of only 0.38%.
Old 20-03-2020, 09:38 PM   #262
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Was it ever sane? Not in my lifetime
Old 20-03-2020, 09:47 PM   #263
yakcam
I drank what?

Quote:
Ain’t gettin me on no plane without a fight, diminishing funds or not!
No TP, flour, rice, pasta or chocolate chip cookie punch-ups here!
Rather be there than here. Hopefully it won't be too long before I drop a hook off your shores in my little sailing adventures.
Old 20-03-2020, 09:56 PM   #264
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

With the rate it's spreading the prediction is 24,000 by mid April.

The number of confirmed cases is currently doubling(or near enough) every 4 days. I put some of the figures in an excel spreadsheet and at the current rate, the number would be in the range of 40-70,000+ by mid April.
Hopefully it won't continue to increase at the current rate though, it could mean 1-2million cases by the end of April.
The big question is, how long before the country is put in to lockdown? We are fast approaching the number of cases that caused other countries and now, some US states to be shutdown.

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member

Last edited by turbo4; 20-03-2020 at 10:12 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2020, 11:23 PM   #265
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
So, 876x3=2268 pos cases with 7 deaths, that would make the fatality rate of only 0.38%.
The 7 deaths reported are 7 of the 876 recorded positive cases. These people were tested, found to be positive, and have then passed away. I believe this to be correct.

A serious question, and I don't know the answer, and I doubt anyone could even answer this question..., but, have there been any deaths from Covid that have not been officially recorded?

Could there be deaths from Covid that have been missed because the deceased have not/were not tested (either before or after death), and therefore were not officially on the positive list? Has everyone over the age of 70 who have passed away in the last couple of weeks, from Covid like symptoms been tested for Covid?
Old 20-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #266
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a smoko on Newcastle beach today for 15 minutes and was shocked at how many people were on the beach and in the water within .5 metres of one another. Message not sinking in.

In Sydney next week I will be forced to work with 3 people within .5 metres of me for 4 days from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm... 🙄

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 20-03-2020, 11:58 PM   #267
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A serious question, and I don't know the answer, and I doubt anyone could even answer this question..., but, have there been any deaths from Covid that have not been officially recorded?
Here's a another question. How many of the 7 that have passed would have been in a much better situation if they had of caught the regular flu?
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2020, 12:27 AM   #268
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're mixing up CFR and IFR. IFR is the fatality rate when you extrapolate to all the undiagnosed cases. The flu mortality rate also goes down when you look at the IFR.
Old 21-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #269
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
The 7 deaths reported are 7 of the 876 recorded positive cases. These people were tested, found to be positive, and have then passed away. I believe this to be correct.

Could there be deaths from Covid that have been missed because the deceased have not/were not tested (either before or after death), and therefore were not officially on the positive list? Has everyone over the age of 70 who have passed away in the last couple of weeks, from Covid like symptoms been tested for Covid?
I doubt it. Anyone displaying any COVID-19 symptom, one of the first things is testing for COVID-19.
Old 21-03-2020, 05:41 AM   #270
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

but given that the mean time to die is about 2 weeks (I heard this somewhere - so probably wrong)
Then the 7 deaths should be compared to total cases 2 weeks ago - what % is that ?
Closed Thread