Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Brand New 25 year old car !?! (Brock Commodore)

Hey Guys...

Was browsing on Australian Muscle Car Sales, and came across this one:

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/102330

Quote:
A once in a lifetime opportunity. Brand new VL Group A Plus Pak Brock Commodore. Delivered by Suttons....THIRTY NINE DELIVERY KILOMETRES ON THE CLOCK!! Build No: 3614. Used to make the Biante model of the VL Grp A. Vict. car.

Price:
$150,000

VIN#
8K19WG-J115274L

ENGINE#
VW571002

Specifications:
THIS STUNNING VEHICLE HAS NEVER BEEN ROAD REGISTERED.

LIKE A FINE BOTTLE OF VINTAGE RED IT HAS BEEN STORED FROM NEW IN CLIMATE CONTROLLED CONDITIONS AND PRESENTS AS IT DID ON DELIVERY IN 1987 FROM HDT.

HDT BUILD #3614/070 OF 500 BATHURST HOMOLOGATION SPECIALS THE VEHICLE SPORTS THE HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER "PLUS PACK" OPTION WHICH INCLUDES THE CONTROVERSIAL BROCK POLARISER, FUEL & COOLING SYSTEM MODS AS WELL AS UPGRADED HDT SUSPENSION. THE HDT STAR MOMO WHEELS ARE STILL FITTED WITH FACTORY MINT ORIGINAL BRIDGESTONE RE71 TYRES. THE SPARE WHEEL IS BRAND NEW AND UNDISTURBED AS IS THE MOMO/HDT SPANNER STILL BEING IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

THE STUNNING SILVER/GREY SCHEEL INTERIOR PRESENTS AND SMELLS AS NEW. THE MOMO/HDT GEARSHIFT KNOB IS STILL COVERED IN ITS FOAM WRAP. THE MOMO/HDT LEATHER STEERING WHEEL HAS ONLY EVER BEEN HANDLED WITH COTTON GLOVES. AGAIN ITS BRAND NEW.

INCLUDED (PLUS PACK OPTIONED CARS ONLY) IS AN EXTREMELY RARE HDT FRAMED LITHOGRAPH DEPICTING THE VL SS GROUP/A WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY HAND SIGNED AND NUMBERED BY PETER BROCK. A GLOVE BOX BOOK COMPLETE WITH THE GROUP A SUPPLEMENT AS WELL AS A HDT LETTER OF AUTHENTICITY COMPLETES THE PACKAGE.

THE VEHICLE WOULD IDEALLY SUIT A SERIOUS/HDT/AUSSIE MUSCLE CAR COLLECTOR WHO APPRECIATES AN INVESTMENT IN THE HIGHEST CALIBRE GENUINE UNRESTORED CARS.
What I'm trying to get my head around - is what exactly could you do with a car like this?

It's incredible that someone could spend around $40,000 in 1987 and stick this in a shed. It has delivery km's only (39km)... so it basically has NEVER been driven in 25 years...

So - my first comment is... If the buyer had thrown $40,000 into a savings bank account (with lets say a 5% interest rate) the bank account would read about $135,000 today...

The Seller is asking $150,000... so lets say after negotiation, fees to the selling agent, storage and maintenance on the car, etc he'd probably take home around the same figure... With less risk (surely the buyer couldn't have predicted the rise in aussie muscle cars in 1987... so I wonder what his goal was for his investment?)

Why have something like this stored without enjoying it for all that time?? At the end of the day it is a car... even if it was driven for a 500km year, it would still only have about 12500km on it - and it wouldn't have taken anything away from the 'wow' factor from such a low mile car...

2nd Point... Do you think that anyone who buys this will actually drive it?? If you bought it and drove it - wouldn't it basically be rendering the last 25 years of its 'museum' life pointless...

And also - how would it drive?? Everything has basically been sitting still for 25 years... and perhaps it was started and run every now and again, but anything in the wheels, brakes, diff, tailshaft, etc... all haven't really moved since 1987... Would it be any good to drive at all??

I just don't get it?!?!?!

I'm all for low mile, one owner cars that have been used and looked after all their life...
I think it is fantastic that someone could keep such a 'museum' piece to remind us what things were like all those years ago...

But - I simply just don't get it...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive never understood it either.. i know someone who has a "full set" of Brocks with less than 30k's on each one...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
So - my first comment is... If the buyer had thrown $40,000 into a savings bank account (with lets say a 5% interest rate) the bank account would read about $135,000 today...
Yep and if he'd put that $40k into a nice apartment in a reasonable Sydney suburb in 1987 (pre the huge property boom in 1988) he would have a place now worth around $500k and 23 years of rental income.

With the car if you take holding costs into account that $40k becomes around $70k when you add things like $50 a month for a garage to store it in $14,000 (a very conservative estimate)

Insurance at say $500 a year (but probably more like $1,500) $12,500
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive never understood it either.. i know someone who has a "full set" of Brocks with less than 30k's on each one...
Yeah but 30,000km means they've at least been enjoyed a few times (average about 1000-1500km a year)....

I can understand that more than not being driven AT ALL??
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The owner must have had lotsa $$$ to start with
Who would have thought way back then ,lets spent 40-50K on a new car and park it up for 20-25 years ???

Would the P3 be worth what they are now if every owner who bought new cocooned them away for 30 odd years

What would ya do with something so imaculate like this ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Yeah but 30,000km means they've at least been enjoyed a few times (average about 1000-1500km a year)....

I can understand that more than not being driven AT ALL??
No... 30 k's....

Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Kryton

The worst thing you can do to a car is not use it.
It may be 'brand new' but it would also be buggered at the same time.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
dave289
Banned

I know of a phase3 thats never been registered. Whats that worth ? and with best colour and options possible .
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The cars where built to be enjoyed, no matter the value, heritage or collectability I'd be driving the ring off it day in day out!! Nothing worse than not enjoying the car for it's intended use. 40k down the drain in 87 IMHO.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

A VL Group A was $29,600 in 1987.

Inflation from then to now. Means that $29,600 is more like $80,000 -$90,000 in todays money.

He wouldnt have made much at all!!!
BA-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Same old story, compared to sound investments in property etc cars are crap investments. The return seems ok until you crunch the numbers.

Having said that, thank god someone did do it. What a beautiful beast, a true piece of Australian motoring history preserved perfectly that would probably be otherwise run into the ground or wrapped around a tree. I hope it goes somewhere that it will be displayed so that many may enjoy.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
I know of a phase3 thats never been registered. Whats that worth ? and with best colour and options possible .
Ok, what color??!! Remember, most H3's are accounted for and have been well used.... especially the rare colored ones...

Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

What would need to be replaced to drive it again?
Tyres, shocks, all the fluids, bushes, battery....?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
fairBA
Banned

bet theres a no test drive option for buyers....... might put some dirt on the tyres.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Waste of a good car. Hope someone buys it and drives the ring off it.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
No... 30 k's....
That's nuts man.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The only person that could buy that car are Holden themselves for a museum or display. You cant drive it now so no point in an average person getting it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
No... 30 k's....
Oh... Dear me...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Ok, what color??!! Remember, most H3's are accounted for and have been well used.... especially the rare colored ones...
Vermillion fire.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG I remember these new & so badly wanted one back then.
I can even remember the smell they used to have lol
I dont see why with a bit of work you could not drive this amazing beast & for us older folk imagine the feeling of a new VL Grp A & besides with that POLARISER both the car & our old bones would feel better lmao
I think a car museum would most likely buy it however I for 1 would like to see it driven, enjoyed & well maintained for years to come
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The only person that could buy that car are Holden themselves for a museum or display. You cant drive it now so no point in an average person getting it.
Very unlikely that Holden would be interested in the car - remember, it has the "polarizer" installed......
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #22
snottygobble

yeah whilst it's probably not my style of car, the whole squirreling away a car for four score and five thousand years isn't something i entirely get. maybe i'm getting onto a different topic here but i've seen some private seller's advertising that said car has been in storage for x amount of years, has never been driven in the rain, is washed only with holy water and blessed by a rabi on the sabath etc, etc and i don't understand it. i know that there are some cars that through circumstance end up being in mind condition because a loved one has died/previous owner was fastidious. it's only my personal opinion but cars are meant to be driven and the best place to do that is actually outside, on the road, enjoying what comes from our friend mr sunshine. each to their own i guess.

'it's hard to run when a coathanger beats you on the thighs'
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]
snottygobble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #23
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

There are plenty of car enthusiasts around who would rather polish their pride and joy than drive it, for one of those types of people this would be the ultimate. I dont understand the appeal, i love cars with a bit of a colourful history that has been driven or raced

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

This car and story have been round here before...

I cant see the problem with it, if you spent $600k on a Ph3 4 years ago and tried to sell it now you'd be slightly peeved to find it aint worth that money anymore, yet to have a Ph3 in storage is still a great topic for discussion and bragging rights.
Im gonna take a guess and say that the person who could invest 30k+ expenses over 25yrs into a limited build HDT Commodore would proberbly...
A, Not miss the money.
B, Already have other investments, housing for example.
And
C, Have something to talk about with his mates.

As for using it, again wheres the issue, apart from gaskets, seals and other perishables you would expect to replace on any 25yr old car, the rest is as new.
Thats if they needed replacing in any case.

If you were to restore a rusty 40yr old HO you'd be up for the same + as you'd have to factor in paint, panel, trim etc. etc. and end up with a restored rust repaired rarity.
With this, $140k would see you in a mint, unrestored, Bathurst Homologation model without the rust repairs.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #25
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What a awesome car but i also dont get why it didnt get driven as i do agree even if it had under 20,000kms is same condition it would still get same or cost dollars.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Although its good to see one in such good condition, its also kind of a waste since it will always just be a museum piece and never see the road again most likely
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
Although its good to see one in such good condition, its also kind of a waste since it will always just be a museum piece and never see the road again most likely
Call me crazy but if I had that coin laying around and was after a fine weather weekend toy I would buy it. Give it a good going over to make sure everything is A1 and then out on the road it goes. Look at it this way, you could buy that or a Nissan GTR, I would take that brocky (I bet it would turn more heads too).
Old 07-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So its all well and good for someone to store a falcon and ask a high price, as soon as some one does it on a holden is silly?

Collectors are collectors, people pay obsurd prices for records they don't play, hotwheels that don't escape the pack...who cares....
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #29
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

So how quick were these Brock HDT VL's in their day?

Does anyone know what the stats were for 0-100 km/h, 0-400m, kw's, Nm's, etc?

I suspect that a VE SV6 would probably flog it.....
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Personally if I bought it new, I'd drive it.

Analogy: I buy 2nd hand vinyl records. Not to "collect" as such, but to actually listen to. I have a rare (4000 copies in the world) Nirvana EP which I listen to regularly now I have a turntable. Some cringe at the fact I use & listen to it, but at the end of the day, its a record, its meant to be played!

If you've got the money to buy a "special" car, get out there and use it!

But, others think differently, as has been proven.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post