Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #31
66GT

It sounds like most of you have come accross my dad whilst driving. Apart from anything involving speeding most of these pet hates sound very familar. He once got pulled over & his excuse was the 100 was the maximum limit, so him doing 55 or 65 for 1/2 hour on a busy single lane section of hwy with limited overtaking opportunities was not his problem as he was doing nothing wrong. The copper tried to explain the high dangers involved as others performed dangerous overtaking manovers etc. The copper was able to use his lights & noise to overtake app. 300 car to catch up & pull him over. He also only uses indicators when leaving his carpark spot at Kmart or when reversing out of the driveway. He has now decided to aviod driving unless necessary as he comes home a mental & physical mess due to the constant abuse & threats he receives. I've tried many times to educate him on how he is endandering others etc he refuses to change. Unfortunitally my only advise is be aware he is still out there.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #32
burkie_21
wild xr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if someone is tailgating you and you don't like it - let them pass. its not your job to correct them. personally, tailgaters don't bother me. just ignore them. 99% of the time it is nothing personal, they are just in more of a hurry than you are and once past will have already forgotten about you. so many people make it personal..

or slow down and really **** them off
Old 13-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #33
zdcol71
zdcol71

Driving pet peeves????, people actually thinking Schnukums the chihuahua can drive, so they let it jump all over their lap or ride shotgun on their shoulder.(and then the morons who giggle and coo cause they think it's soooo cute!!)
Old 13-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkie_21
or slow down and really **** them off

ahh... no. refer to post #5. people who think its their job to correct others on the street are just as bad as those who are doing the wrong thing.

why get involved? why make it personal? just let them go. people that do that sort of thing will eventually do it to the wrong person.
Old 13-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Heading towards a set of traffic lights where both you and the oncoming traffic have green lights, you want to turn left and the oncoming car wants to turn right effectively accross your path yet they dont even slow down they just turn infront of you assuming when you turn left you will stay in the left lane.

People who see a line waiting at a set of lights who race up the L/H turning lane and wait for the drag race when the light turns green to go straight ahead I tend to hang them out to dry if I'm on the front row not really getting infront but leaving them with no where to go as their lane ends.

People who dont think a red light is directed at them.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 13-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #36
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Most of the above come to mind but one of my biggest pet hates is timid pussies who won't pass the rolling road block ahead of them when the opportunity presents itself thus making it doubly hard for everyone following. If you're not going to pass the rolling roadblock then back off enough to leave space enough for the rest of us to pass you and the roadblock one at a time instead of forcing everyone to crawl along behind you or get past you both at once. Not so bad when it's just a couple of cars but when the pussy is following a slow semi or some oblivious grey nomad with a caravan it can get a bit dicey. Then said pussy goes off when we all get to the passing lane and I leapfrog them both at WOT because said pussy has travelled 300m into the dual carriage way without making a move to pass the rolling road block and suddenly decides to finally make a move as I go by so the 5 people stuck behind me can also have a chance to get by as well. If you're going to go then go as soon as you get a chance, not 10 seconds later. Check your mirrors ya peanut and have some consideration for the freight train you've managed to back up behind you.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 13-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #37
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Some very legitimate gripes in here, rancidpunx has summed up most of mine.

The most dangerous and common I see is the slow freeway merging, this happens to me daily. Driving a slow diesel with a heavy trailer I need all of the on ramp to get my speed up, the fools pulling in front of trucks 20kph slower should have their license taken from them.

I'd like to know if driving instructors actually teach this, if freeway merging is not part of the lessons it dam well should be.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #38
TRUBLU4DS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slow vehicles in the right lane on the freeway, cars in the right lane of a 3 lane freeway that decide at the last minute gee i need to be on that offramp & cut straight across the traffic to get to it, not knowing how to merge, taking the whole length of an overtaking lane to get past one vehicle.

Any idiot who pulls in front of a heavy vehicle.

I also experienced road rage a couple of weeks ago in Freo when i was already in a little round a bout & this idiot came flying into it, i just gave him a look & he started chasing me yelling out crap, i just laughed turned up the music & carried on.
So i hate road rage too!
Old 13-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #39
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

oh yeah, another one....

pot holes on main roads with no breakdown lane at night causing your wheels to go into it, therefore smashing or damaging the rim and causing you to have to stop in the middle of the road and put your spare on....
Old 13-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #40
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drivers that unnecessarily drive below the speed limit.
Drivers that ignore speed limits and drive to the speed that suits them. Speed limit signs must only tell the temperature to them.
Idiots that try to overtake you on the left.
Hoons revving their engines and screeching their tyres that always seem to be driving the same boring cars all the time.
Drivers who put their right indicator on when they go straight ahead on roundabouts.
Drivers who don't indicate at all at roundabouts.
Motorcyclists who attempt to break land-speed records on urban streets, (not only is it dangerous, but it's also freaking loud).

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could think of for now.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #41
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People doing less than 100kph in the right lane of the freeway.
People who pull in front of trucks that are already on the brakes.
People who won't give a vehicle who's indicating left to change lane a chance to change. They race up behind and round the vehicle up on the lefthand side! I see this quite often, I've nearly side swiped a few with a 20+ tonne truck due to them not watching my indicators.
People who have no idea how to merge. It's not hard to preplan a merge while heading down the ramp.

Having to drive a truck in the left lanes of a freeway, when drivers refuse to do the speed limit. I wished my truck had air horns If only they'd keep left.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 13-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #42
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Drivers who put their right indicator on when they go straight ahead on roundabouts.
In some states it's the law to indicate when exiting a roundabout even if your going straight. It's a stupid law I think.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 13-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #43
silicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
In some states it's the law to indicate when exiting a roundabout even if your going straight. It's a stupid law I think.
Stupid brainwave in NSW from the RTA.
Old 13-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I do 90% country highway driving, anyways my number one pet peeve is when people think its OK to merge onto the freeway doing 70km/h or they're coming out of another road at an intersection onto the 100km/h section, no fail I get this every time I come back from work, some moron thinks its OK to come out and slowly putt up to the speed limit, even though I have to brake to slow down for them, thats an instant fail on the license test.

Or when they come out in front of me and go slow again, when there is no car behind me.

I wouldn't class myself as a good driver, but I don't go around doing stupid dangerous things like that.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #45
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Yes that it true that you are supposed to use your left indicator when exiting roundabout, but I'm coming across a high number of drivers who think you use the right indicator when entering and go straight ahead. There are a lot of roundabouts in my area and as a result I've frequently had to stop for cars for no reason.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #46
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
People who stop suddenly for apparently no reason, then flick on the indicator as they finish making a right hand turn.
Dabbing the brakes on a straight road with no other traffic around. Also people who cant keep a consistent speed.
Hopeless, indicating at a roundabout.
Sitting 10-15ks under the limit on a clear day. (mostly thats just peoples speedos being out, but still). It takes the **** when you do 70 in an 80 zone but then continue to do 70 when it becomes a 60 zone.
Merging its the most frustrating. You use the slip lane to match the speed of the traffic, not trundle down at 60 and wonder why the traffic is hooning past at 100. You give way to traffic already in the lane (there is no "zip" rule for lanes that merge and are lined accordingly), there is no need to wait until the last moment to merge 99% of people will let you in. That really bugs me, having to slow down and wait for somebody to merge who will then hit the brakes as they do so as they **** themselves because their lane has come to an end.
Not checking blind spots when changing lanes. Infact it appears nobody checks their mirrors or indicates until they are about to complete the manoeuvre.
When approaching a passing lane and you indicate to pass only to find the tallywacker behind you has already pulled out and accelerating, especially when that person is control of a truck.
Ethnic drivers doing what they like. (most likely unlicensed.)
Impatience of drivers cruising up a free lane and then "push" their way into a lane of queuing traffic so they dont miss a turn.
Theres probably more just im to tired to think of them right now.
Geez I am an angry driver. However I think these are basic knowledge when in charge of a motor vehicle, and yet there happening every 30 secs on an average drive anywhere.
And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
I knew I forgot another one. Not dangerous or against any rules, but more just not being aware of other road users.
In traffic waiting to turn right at a light you notice the lights go green but then notice cars taking an age to go through the lights and before you know it only 3 cars have gone and its red again. Its just annoying. Same goes for passing lanes and the one slow coach gets past a truck but everyone else is stuck behind hitting the anchors to let the truck merge.
So its the same in Brisbane, exactly as it is here in Melbourne.

I'd like to add a few more:

Hilux drivers pushing in because they can with their size, also coming up and blocking views at intersections seemingly on purpose.

Vehicles who have overtaken me and pull in front without leaving much distance at all. Worse still some slow down, slower than what I'm travelling at.

Vans and tradies (and others) travelling at 10kph or more under the limit in the second lane from the right on a four lane freeway.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #47
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you are in a line of traffic and the car in the next lane comes past, then indicates to move into your lane. You then look behind you and there isn't another car for 100 metres, so they could have pulled in behind you.

Another specific example (Dandenong Bypass into Perry Rd) where 2 lanes turn right and most traffic goes left in Cheltenham Rd a few hundred metres ahead. So you need to be in the left lane. You look in your mirror and see people move to the right lane, turn right and then look to change lanes into the left. They were in the correct lane to start with, why leave it? Which brings me to another one. If you are looking to change lanes and are alongside another car, it is expected you yield to the other car and slot in behind. In my opinion you can choose to get let in by yielding and indicating in advance as the car behind is much more likely to let you in, or choose to get blocked by attempting to push in ahead.

In heavy traffic, choose your lane earlier - even if it means getting held up a little and you won't miss the turn you need to make.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #48
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Drivers who slow down from as far away as 200m as they approach green lights! These lights do not have cameras but it is as though for these drivers their world will implode if they don't catch the red light. I can understand taxi drivers needing to revert to these tactics to try and make a few extra bucks.

If you want to improve traffic flow - get these fools off the roads.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #49
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Yes that it true that you are supposed to use your left indicator when exiting roundabout, but I'm coming across a high number of drivers who think you use the right indicator when entering and go straight ahead. There are a lot of roundabouts in my area and as a result I've frequently had to stop for cars for no reason.
Correct. You always indicate Left to exit a round about, no matter where your entered. This includes going straight across. No signal when entering but indicate left as you leave. It appears AFF is not immune to incorrect roundabout practises.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 13-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #50
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Idiots that try to overtake you on the left.
there are many situations where that is not illegal.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:35 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
Driving Pet Peeves. What really ticks you off?
Too many to mention.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #52
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerritoryTurbo
I think this one is going to get some replies, hehe.

Getting stuck behind someone on a single lane road doing 20 km/h under the limit and when you get to an overtaking area they do 10 km/h over...

Passing you on a dual carrage highway and pulling about 2 metres in front of you after they've overtaken you. You've got all this room and you have to cut me off...?!

Being a motorbike rider...red light runners make me shudder.

And of course the fav...tailgaters

OK thats enough...lol
+1 except for tailgaters I just pull over and let them past
Old 13-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #53
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The general pityfull attitude displayed by people on the road...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 13-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #54
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
- people who flash you after you legally overtake them

This is often done by truck drivers as a way of letting you know you are past them and it is safe to pull back in. Not common amongst car drivers now but some still do it (I do). It may be an act of courtesy.
Old 13-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #55
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
This is often done by truck drivers as a way of letting you know you are past them and it is safe to pull back in. Not common amongst car drivers now but some still do it (I do). It may be an act of courtesy.
your not alone on that one I do the same

my pet hate is i have our club stickers on the EL and every moron out there wants to race you

had one the other day a guy in a beet up old thing took off hard at the lights i just took off normally he planted the foot got wheel spin of the line
funny thing was the fact he had an unmarked car behind him lol

and people driving so slow i feel like i can walk bloody faster

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #56
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Too many to mention.
I’ll second that. It would probably take me all day to mention everything that irks me, however, I will mention one thing.

People who break my golden rule of overtaking…

If you overtake me, go ****ing faster than me.
Old 13-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #57
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I know what you mean, and that's not what I have a gripe with. It's when people people seem to think that you have no right to overtake them, and once you're back on the left in front of them they proceed to flash their high-beams and gesticulate at you for the next couple hundred metres. kind of strange. I could understand it if the move is in any way dangerous or you cut them off or something, but for no reason? some people are strange...

I think its probably where they think they're already doing the speed limit (but their speedo is out by 5-10 or whatever) so they're doing the self-appointed-copper thing mentioned in another post...
Old 13-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #58
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

people that dont look at the traffic on a roundabout untiul they get to the roundabout ... ie. stopping, even when there's nothing to stop for.
Old 13-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #59
Falconxr68

Quote:
Originally Posted by silicon
Stupid brainwave in NSW from the RTA.
I'm not sure but that might be only when the roundabout is a large one, you get what I mean?
Old 13-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #60
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I know what you mean, and that's not what I have a gripe with. It's when people people seem to think that you have no right to overtake them, and once you're back on the left in front of them they proceed to flash their high-beams and gesticulate at you for the next couple hundred metres. kind of strange. I could understand it if the move is in any way dangerous or you cut them off or something, but for no reason? some people are strange...

I think its probably where they think they're already doing the speed limit (but their speedo is out by 5-10 or whatever) so they're doing the self-appointed-copper thing mentioned in another post...
Ok, with you now and you are right, no need for that.

I think the roads would be a happier place if everyone would just concentrate more on what they are doing and worried less about what others are doing.

Like the guy that did a U turn, and caught up with me at the next set of lights to have a go at me for having my fog lights on and that it was against the law. The sad thing for him is they were not on, the park light on Mini's are in the upper half of the fog light. He wouldn't even back down when I explained that, guess he does not like looking like an idiot. Personally I think he is a prime candidate for a chill pill.