Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #31
jason_85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFairlane
Yes the petrol auto is very gutless and makes a lot of noise without going anywhere, the petrol engine is from the astra but is detuned to allow better fuel economy. However the manual diesel model is a great car to drive. They have a nice modern interior, the exterior looks modern and stylish.
They arent as bad as some people point out, theres just a few bad stories that get taken out of context and exaggerated a fair bit which happens with all cars.
Agree. We test drove both petrol and diesel. The mrs only wanted auto so the diesel was def the way to go. The auto diesel is a nice combo. Yes the Cruze is priced slightly higher than some other rivals but when you compare the features of all the price is comparable if not better (eg some "Standard" cars in that range they advertise don't come standard with all the airbags/saftey pack which was neceassry for us)
jason_85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #32
mark300

my dad has one as a company car and it is by far the worst car ive ever been in. we took it to wollongong on the weekend (i wanted to take the falcon but dad said he would rather use the work car and works fuel!!! bad choice).

whenever you try and overtake someone its a gamble, theres just no power at all when you need it, and its slow off the line! when we were coming home up mt ousley out of wollongong, i was half expecting us to just stop in the middle of the road. at one point we nearly got run over by a B double going up that hill.

its a CDX with the 6 speed auto box, which is another problem, there are just too many gears and it can never make up its mind on which gear it wants to use, its so bad we have to drive it in manual mode.

while it may have saved us about 120 in petrol for the weekend, i would have rather taken the falcon and had the power and comfort!

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #33
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to build the curze here. GM are making 20000 a month in the US, and only selling 8000 per month. And they get theirs for about $17000.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...12-cruze_N.htm
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #34
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a CDX petrol auto for two weeks recently in QLD. The main problem for me is the performance. A 1400kg car needs alot more balls in my opinion. I think it was bordering on unsafe. You cant make gaps in traffic, merging onto a freeway is scary, and the auto seems to be setup for fuel economy and wants to stay in 6th no matter what. The trans makes a BTR feel refined. Shifts are slow and rough, it rolls back in drive and forwards in reverse. Dont bother trying to drive one if you are over 6 ft tall either, very uncomfortable. Fuel economy averaged 10.4L per 100Km, mostly freeway.

Every car has negatives, thats true. But these things have more negatives than positives! Both our Fords do everything better, can be bought with spare change, and even my heavy v8 Fairlane barely uses more fuel.

I'm sure the diesel would perform better, but tbe Cruze is still like a mid size car with the practicality of a small car.

But, as the marketing says, go better!
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #35
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the pleasur of having one as a rental over the weekend. Quite opssibly one of the worst cars I have driven in a while.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #36
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good too hear I'm not alone. On the previous trip we had a Yaris 1.3 Auto. That was a more comfortable and enjoyable drive than the Cruze!
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #37
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly I would not put any credibility on that first complaint. Car would not start,, Hmmm, Did it crank over? was it totally dead? did he leave the lights on? was it just no starter motor? Does not even mention if it's petrol or diesel version.
I got a CDX diesel auto a couple of months back and so far it's been great.
Build quality is certainly far far far better than the SX teriitoty I had.
As a comparison the SX territory had over 12 warranty repairs in the first three months of ownership. And one of them was not only serious but it took ford over 9 months to get right. Search for lower control arms in the terry section. And for some real fun search for "lower ball joints".
That said it does not stop the territory being a great car, so much so that I traded the SX in for an SY, which was also great, apart from ford "decontenting" the model.
So one crank posting up a spurious comment followed by a couple of other vague comments with no substance should not be taken to mean that a particular car is crap in totality.

edit: when looking at the cruze t came down to a short list of the focus diesel and the cruze diesel, however the focus diesel equipment level was a total joke. You can't even option leather seats on it.
Old 15-12-2010, 10:47 PM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If people research properly, they'd see that there are better alternatives.
For the price, the Cruze is a reasonable car. It is not meant to be best in class.

I have spoken to many pro-Holden people who wanted a Cruze. They don't care that Mazda, Ford or Honda make better cars. For the price and the badge, they love the car.

I think the Cruze already looks tired. I await the new Focus with much anticipation.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #39
BigBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau

In saying that though, I dont hold these type of websites in high regard in deciding what is good or bad
I agree totally.
Never having heard of this site I had a look at some of the rest of it.
There are statements like:
QUOTE: "Avoid these companies: Honda Australia , Mercedes Australia , Ikea"

No reason given and no examples of poor products or services given to back up this statement.

Sorry but the complaints about the Cruse may be valid but the site has zero credibility as far as I can see.

Peter.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #40
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
If people research properly, they'd see that there are better alternatives.
Interesting point you raise there, can you provide some examples of the better alternatives?.
When I researched it came down to a short list of two, the focus diesel and the cruze diesel. Focus lost due to lack of equipment/trim levels, can't even option leather on the diesel version.
Is my research lacking somewhat?
Not meaning to have a go by any means, just trying to learn something.
Old 16-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #41
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worst part about the petrol Cruz was the gearbox. It just didn't know what it wanted to do.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #42
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Say what you want, but the facts are they are out selling the Falcon, and killing the Focus and probably out sell the Fiesta, Mondeo, and Focus added together.
Old 16-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #43
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nobody here is making any points about bad sales, popularity is not an indication of quality as the Australian public proves month after month. I don't think anybody here (including yourself) would say the Cruze is a better car than the FG Falcon.

Arguing something is more popular means nothing to the enthusiast/consumer; we aren't trying to sell anything, we are the ones who get to enjoy it.