Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Buying a car....whats your first priority?
Brand Loyalty (Would buy ??????? regardless) 7 17.95%
Resale Value (How much will i lose in the future and if i need to sell quickly) 1 2.56%
Reputation & Reliability (Manufacturer history over a long period of time) 11 28.21%
Safety Features (If the worst happens i want the best protection and features for myself and family) 3 7.69%
Features & Accessories (Want as much as i can with my budget) 13 33.33%
Impulse Buy (Looks great and just want to feel good about myself) 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default BUYING A CAR......What do you look for???

After a thread was posted last night about what car to buy with various responses and opinions, i'm just curious what members first priority is when buying a car? Either new/demo/used. Lets just imagine that you have a budget and have the money so price is not one of the factors, and you have narrowed you choice down to 3 - 5 cars.
Personally, i always look at resale value first, as from my experience resale reflects reputation and reliability, which equates to supply and demand. But for this post lets have both.

1. Brand Loyalty (Would buy ?????????? regardless)

2. Resale Value (How much will i lose when i trade up, and how quickly can i sell if i need to in a hurry)

3. Reputation/Reliability (Manufacturer has had a proven track record for many years not just recently)

4. Safety Features (As long as myself and my family are best protected if the worst happens, that is my priority)

5. Features (Want as many accessories, extras and manufacturer freebies as i can get with my budget)

6. Impulse Buy (It looks great and will be a real head turner and if it makes me feel better about myself that can only be a good thing)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Well if i'm buying used the first thing I look at is condition.
Or price.
Old 14-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normally price or features, Manual/V8/Sunroof etc.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I went with #3 as i expect #4 to be included in it's reputation, i don't go looking for knick knacks and do dads.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crash damage.. bodgey written off repair jobs........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Condition/price. If it's in good Nick and the price isn't ridiculous, I'll consider it over cheaper but less maintained vehicles.
I don't go on "reputation" so much, when I got my BA I knew they had their problems, mainly with brakes and that dreaded trans cooler issue, the brakes got replaced within 6 weeks and I never bothered with the cooler issue as it never needed it. I got 80,000klm of virtually trouble free driving out of the car, despite it's tarnished reputation.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say Brand Loyalty .... but
that is for the family primary drive ie My car.
The approach is this:
Drive all the competitors and look at the features and dollars, if the Ford is not the best buy then defer my purchase.

For my Wife's car I reason a little differently.
I prefer a Ford, and will not buy a Holden - but may choose something else based on Pricepoint for features vss my subjective opinion of the manufacturer (she currently has a Mazda)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
glavas

i only buy, new Brand Loyalty pays a big part i only buy commodores but i also have a wrx as a run about when i go driving through the hills. who cares about reslae anyway you buy a car to enjoy it not stressing out about money. Safety Features is another thing i dont even worry about id rather die in a crash then be left with injuries and eating through a tube.i sell my cars when they hit 50000km wich takes me about 8-10 years. i have a e2 maloo,09 wrx,05 calais ls1 and a 09 ssv wagon.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

None of the above.

The number 1 thing i look for in a car is its ability to meet my needs or "fit for purpose".

Old 14-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I have three things that I need. Needs a 6/8, manual and RWD. Seeing as something other then a Commo or Falcon is quite expensive and I prefer buying new. It then comes down to the car I can live with sitting inside.
Old 14-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
i only buy, new Brand Loyalty pays a big part i only buy commodores but i also have a wrx as a run about when i go driving through the hills. who cares about reslae anyway you buy a car to enjoy it not stressing out about money. Safety Features is another thing i dont even worry about id rather die in a crash then be left with injuries and eating through a tube.i sell my cars when they hit 50000km wich takes me about 8-10 years. i have a e2 maloo,09 wrx,05 calais ls1 and a 09 ssv wagon.

You buy brand loyalty, so you only buy commodores, but you have a WRX

And you are posting on a ford forum.......you suffer from a serious identity crises.....

Back on topic I am with 4Vman, I buy cars that fit my purpose and imtended use, my daily driver and parts getter is a 4X4 which I dont have to worry about when parked at work or the shopping centre and I also use to take the kids camping, fishing and to go hunting in.

Toys are both Fords.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Second hand I look at condition and if it's been serviced properly...

New.. What extra I can get as in brake upgrade.. Not too interested in carpet protectors etc.. I can buy them anytime.. It's the big ticket items I look for...
Once having a car with GOOD brakes I find it hard going back to "just" good enough !!!!
Same with handling / wheel package...
Stability control, air bags, curtains etc / safety features are right up there too...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe

You buy brand loyalty, so you only buy commodores, but you have a WRX

And you are posting on a ford forum.......you suffer from a serious identity crises.....

Back on topic I am with 4Vman, I buy cars that fit my purpose and imtended use, my daily driver and parts getter is a 4X4 which I dont have to worry about when parked at work or the shopping centre and I also use to take the kids camping, fishing and to go hunting in.

Toys are both Fords.
i said brand loyalty pays a big part but not everything. a wrx is better on hilly roads then a commodore im not all one eyed. and why can i not post on ford fourms? i had a f6 in 2007 bought it to see what the fuss was about. i got rid of it after a year. good power but hated the steering wheel.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

call me one eyed, but of that list, i picked brand loyalty. obviously i check a lot of other things as well, but when i'm looking to buy a car, i only look at fords.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

New- Brand loyalty.

Used- Service history, overall condition and value for money.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=4Vman]None of the above.

The number 1 thing i look for in a car is its ability to meet my needs or "fit for purpose".[/QUO

Same hear.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What ever looks cool, but ids still low kms and cheapish.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gk
5. Features (Want as many accessories, extras and manufacturer freebies as i can get with my budget)

6. Impulse Buy (It looks great and will be a real head turner and if it makes me feel better about myself that can only be a good thing)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
These two, in order.

The Fiesta is slow, but the stereo kicks *** for something thats factory, has tweeters in the front doors, decent mids, MP3 compatability and an auxiliary input, in a car that set me back $18,000 new at the time.

I like having all these cool gadgets and a top quality stereo.

In my price range, at the time the Fiesta was best in class, brand loyalty is good and all but if a competitor has a "better" product for the same cash, then I'll go for it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post