Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving while talking on a mobile phone

As we all know (because we have been told over and over again on TV) talking on a mobile phone while driving is extremely dangerous.

But WHY is it dangerous?

Because you do not have both hands on the steering wheel?

Well how come drivers of manuals do not crash every 5 seconds?
Or drivers who operate any of the other 40 bazillion gadgets in modern cars?

Because you are not primarily concentrating on driving?

Well how different is that to 100dB of doof doof or having a car full of peers or children?

And of course as soon as you put on an emergency services shirt you are instantly safe talking on a phone even though in many cases you are actually concentrating of your two way radio, things happening outside in all directions and other events within your vehicle.

Apparently as long as the ACTUAL phone is not touching you it is safe.

To quote the altitudinally challenged Westralian........WOT THA?

Now I see there are several ads on TV for new bubble cars showing operating a phone while driving that must be perfectly safe because it is on TV despite one ad showing a girl looking every direction except at the road and the other showing the phone control being operated by hand.

So what is the truth?

Have we been scammed yet again by the politically correct nanny agenda?

Or is this just a secret plan to kill off bubble car drivers......

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get pinged did you??!!!

LOL, the only possible plausable reason would be lack of attention due to extended periods of time looking at the phone and not the road.. i.e texting... or simply holding the thing against your ear and lacking basic car control.. otherwise its a crock.

Old 21-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think its just another distraction, but then again so is the stereo, passengers, frank walker from national tiles, etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HSV should get pinged for their new interactive data log feedback thingy... what a massive distraction...

Old 21-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Get pinged did you??!!!

LOL, the only possible plausable reason would be lack of attention due to extended periods of time looking at the phone and not the road.. i.e texting... or simply holding the thing against your ear and lacking basic car control.. otherwise its a crock.
No, not at all. I just started to get bombarded by these new ads on TV and thought it was a bit strange that the scroobies et. al. had not had them banned.
Old 21-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me thinks a lot of people out there can't drive with both hands on the wheel any road.

The lowest common denominator must be up held at all times for us to be politically correct.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ive always felt it as being a joke. I simply cannot see how talking on a mobile phone is any more distracting than talking to the person in the passenger seat.
What im trying to say with that is, if you focus on actually driving instead of phones, passengers, speedo readings, etc then the risk is negligible. But being able to do this in the first place comes down being at least remotely competent in driving. Something that doesnt seem to be a requisite with quite a few people (and thats with their full attention)....

In addition comparing talking on a phone to DUI is just plain BS. You can control how distracted you are by a phone (or whatever), you cant control how disorientated alcohol/drugs make you.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't you ever noticed people on freeways who are wandering in their lane or in the fast lane doing 10-15 kays under the limit, then when you get past them they're yakking on the mobile.

For whatever reason talking on the mobile is a distraction to drivers, they're thinking about their conversation and what the other persons saying and then responding to it. They're not thinking about their driving and being aware of their surroundings.

As opposed to resting your hand on the gear lever which takes no thought process. So it's not just about having both hands on the wheel. Authorities are now even talking about not letting motorists use a hands free kit.

So then the arguement is, how come we can talk to our passengers without being ditracted? I dont know. All I know is that people talking on the mobile while driving are a danger and akin to driving with 0.05% according to some studies.
Old 21-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Almost everday I get caught behind some knob using their mobile phone in their hand, and they need to change gear and hey presto no hands on the wheel. Watch them drift all over the place.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
3vXT

Its dangerous because it divides your cognitive abilities and your attention. For that reason it is just as dangerous as any other distraction that forces you to perceive information and formulate an appropriate response (CB radio's, conversations with other passengers etc...).

It's got almost nothing to do with the physical act of handling your phone or other devices. You don't need to formulate a response to loud doof doof music but I'd guess that its distracting in other ways. You don't need to formulate a response when you are adjusting the air con.

As for the emergency services point, just because something is legal doesn't mean its safe (and vice versa). Just because something is on television doesn't automatically make it safe or unsafe, legal or illegal. Of course you already know that but we don't so please tell us again.

Just once I'd love to see you start a thread that isn't loaded with idiotic sarcasm.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Haven't you ever noticed people on freeways who are wandering in their lane or in the fast lane doing 10-15 kays under the limit, then when you get past them they're yakking on the mobile.

For whatever reason talking on the mobile is a distraction to drivers, they're thinking about their conversation and what the other persons saying and then responding to it. They're not thinking about their driving and being aware of their surroundings.

As opposed to resting your hand on the gear lever which takes no thought process. So it's not just about having both hands on the wheel. Authorities are now even talking about not letting motorists use a hands free kit.

So then the arguement is, how come we can talk to our passengers without being ditracted? I dont know. All I know is that people talking on the mobile while driving are a danger and akin to driving with 0.05% according to some studies.
So what you are saying is that according to some studies it is perfectly ok for Police or Ambulance drivers to have a BAC of 0.05?

Surly not.

These studies that show this, they were not done by the "Ponds Institute" or "Sunsilk Laboratories" were they?
Old 21-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

All I can say is the only four road accidents I have involved in the last 16 years were caused by idiots on mobile phones running into the back of my car while I was stopped at red lights (3), and give way signs at intersections (1). Talking on mobile phones while driving can kill people and I would like to see the penalties increases and the phones seized.

The Mythbusters did the tests too and showed how driving performance deteriates when teh driver is distracted by using mobile phones.
Old 21-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
nstg8a

16 years ago? jeez have to be unlucky to be rearended by someone using a mobile in 1994...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of you are missing the point here.

IF driving while talking on a mobile phone is so dangerous why are these new cars being advertised with "phone capability"?
Old 21-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

IF driving while talking on a mobile phone is so dangerous why are these new cars being advertised with "phone capability"?
Because 1: It's not illegal yet. and 2: The Government isnt looking down on manufacturers for installing it (ads showing cars speeding anyone?).

As a result, like any normal company they will provide a feature that has the potential to increase their sales. And will continue to do so until either of the above happens.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Exactly.
I think the pilots would call the problem divided attention. Some people when they have
the phone to their ear and concentrating on their phone conversation lose awareness
of what's happening around them but equally some don't.

I think Ford in the USA is becoming a bit worried that it's new driver friendly voice commands,
phone interface and BLISS red light detection systems may start running foul of legislators.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hands free phone installations in new cars are different to using a phone up to your ear.

The use of phones by emergency services is for operational reasons, life and death related. They go through defence driving courses and 9times out of ten have two people sitting in the front of the car.

The average driver (particuarly) young twenty somethings are very easily distracted.
(Watch how in a shopping center they are focused on their phone call or texting that they dont even notice people right infront of them and walk into them or see them at the last second).

If you honestly believe talking with your phone up to the ear does not provide a distraction then so be it.... obviously you dont notice the amount of people talking on phones and how the majority of them weave all over the lane, drive through red lights, dont indicate when they have too, either drive too slow at 40kmh or speeding like mad because they are so ingrossed in their own little world.

A few weeks ago i came up behind a P plater (young female) at the lights.
Talking on the phone. Lights turned green. It took her a good 15secs to move and then she only goes to 40kmh. In heavy traffic too. Eventually I had enough and gave her a long blast of the horn, which woke her up to the fact someone was behind her.
She then moves into the right turning lane without indicating and into maccas.....

Another one (females sorry) drove a good 5km while talking, made 3 turns without indicating, was speeding the whole time 20kmh above limit, braked heavy at each red light, finally drove through a red light a good 10secs after it had changed.

I have used a UHF and strangely dont find it as distracting talking on it then talking a phone. Then again as a former holder of a pilots licence I am used to flying plane and using a radio. Try and fly an instrument approach in bad weather, talk on radio, read a chart, look at instruments over and over.... And why does one make sure they do it properly and not get distracted with other things? Cause ones life depends on it...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant say i have seen the adds a link would be nice or knowing what brand so we can look them up

And i agree i wont answer my mobile while driving at all i will how ever pull over to answer it if i can

plenty of other things around to distract a driver just like the chickies walking around in their titty tops ect ( i think i need to watch the road a tad more LOL )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one I like is the clowns driving with the phone on loudspeaker and holding it to their head anyway like its legal or something, find they are a lot worse as they are focused on trying to get the phone in the right spot to hear and talk as well as drive
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
jeez have to be unlucky to be rearended by someone using a mobile in 1994
It was the high profile head of a large organisation in Perth and he was aghast that I had stopped while turning left to let pedestrians cross on the green lights (as the law requires there being no walk signals) - he actually argued that they should not have been there and I should have run over the pedestrians rather than let his BMW run into the back of me. Unfortunately, the mobile was also too chunky for me to shove it down his throat. He also tried to get out of paying for the damage although he was in a company car and on a massive salary. It took more than a year for his insurers to settle.

Actually, all but one of these accidents was more than 10 years ago so maybe with experience drivers have actually got better at driving while talking on mobiles. But I have also changed my job so my daily route to work in recent years mainly involves freeway driving with few intersections etc. Certainly mobiles have also got easier to use as well and that may be a factor.
Old 21-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I have actually seen a tradie on the freeway driving his FJ40 tray top steering with his knees while talking on his mobile and taking notes. I guess it's no worse that those you see eating their breakfast, cleaning their teeth and applying makeup etc while driving but........ I can't wait to see the teeth cleaners rear-ending somebody and choking on their electric toothbrush.
Old 21-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
The same reason that they advertise 0 to 60 times that if used would be considered hooning, bhp that if used would result in excessive speed or illegal loss of traction, and in some cases top speeds that are well in excess of legal road speeds.

Actually I might be more attracted to a car advertised as mobile phone call proof (i.e unable to send or receive cellphone calls).

Last edited by aussiblue; 21-11-2010 at 04:00 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Depends on what you mean by 'capability' my Focus has voice activated aswell as being able to dial from the headunit and obviously make and receive calls without touching the phone. Whilst i dont use it all that often (maybe 6-10) times since i bought the car, i dont at all find it distracting.

I was only yesterday following some twit in a 4WD with a trailer (irrelevent though) he had his phone on loudspeaker and he was all over the shop at one stage drifting halfway into the lane next to him. So yeah IMO if you have to 'touch' the phone then yes they are a distraction, along with anything else similar to a mobile phone.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Several studies show cell phones are a leading cause of car crashes. It is estimated that cell phone distracted drivers are four times more likely to be in a car wreck. According to a Harvard University study, cell phones cause over 200 deaths and half a million injuries each year.
http://www.car-accidents.com/cell_ph...accidents.html
Old 21-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFcIpzF7pc

Done on Mythbusters.

Driving and talking to a passenger is different to a mobile phone since the passenger can see the road ahead and can detect when to talk and when to keep their trap shut.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vFcIpzF7pc

Done on Mythbusters.

Driving and talking to a passenger is different to a mobile phone since the passenger can see the road ahead and can detect when to talk and when to keep their trap shut.
So all the passengers were male?
Old 21-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what you are saying is that according to some studies it is perfectly ok for Police or Ambulance drivers to have a BAC of 0.05?

Surly not.

These studies that show this, they were not done by the "Ponds Institute" or "Sunsilk Laboratories" were they?
Next time you catch a plane, ring the pilot on his mobile just as he's landing if you don't think it's a hazard.
Old 21-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Next time you catch a plane, ring the pilot on his mobile just as he's landing if you don't think it's a hazard.
Yes... Because landing a plane and driving a car are the same......

Old 21-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It's actually appears more dangerous than drunk driving:

Quote:
After controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, the study concluded that cell phone drivers exhibited greater impairment than intoxicated drivers.
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety

http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCog...ssment2003.pdf
Old 21-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes... Because landing a plane and driving a car are the same......
You could argue that driving a car would be harder than landing a plane. While pilots have many minutes to prepare for and then perform the landing, drivers usually only have seconds to make decisions which could be life altering.

As discussed earlier mobile phones can be distracting with people doing the wrong speed or not being able to keep to their lane, so responding to a hazard where you only have one or two seconds is going to be a lot more troublesome than extending the flaps or lowering the landing gear.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post