Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
dave289
Banned

Thumbs down Got done 50 in a 40 zone(fixed camera)can i get off?

just recieved a fine for doing 50 kph in a 40 kph school zone at 3.31pm by a fixed camera .is there any chance of getting off ?

dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

I hate renvenue raising speed cameras but 10kph over is more than just a mistake of 3kph over. I notice that your in NSW, which means your actual speed must have been more than 10 as you guys still have more clearance than us "lucky" guys in Victoria.

Pay the fine and move on.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
dave289
Banned

20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110 what the *uk happened to 60 and 100.me and my mates never got runn over at school cause we got taught how to cross the road properly.thats what should happen these days?now i have to spend more time watching the speedo than the road, leaving me with less chance of spotting the little bugger about to run out in front of me.go figure.and yes i do have kids?
Old 18-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
mrxy8
I Loove Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110 what the *uk happened to 60 and 100.me and my mates never got runn over at school cause we got taught how to cross the road properly.thats what should happen these days?now i have to spend more time watching the speedo than the road, leaving me with less chance of spotting the little bugger about to run out in front of me.go figure.and yes i do have kids?
I Whole heartedly agree. :
mrxy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
I agree with you mate! It's getting to be a joke. You have to pay more attention to actual signs than you do to the surroundings.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
dave289
Banned

the thing that ****es me off the most is the fact it is an exercise in ripping people off more than it is of looking after the safety of children.how do i know this.well there is no flashing lights to warn me of this in this apperent school zone which would let people know and make it more safe for the children.it is much cheaper and of more safety to the children to install flashing lights but instead of doing this they put a speed camera .once again go figure.
Old 18-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
killerjoolz
KillerXR8

Quote:
just recieved a fine for doing 50 kph in a 40 kph school zone at 3.31pm by a fixed camera .is there any chance of getting off ?
last year I got done for 46 in a 40 zone,I was slowing to the 40 and still got done,was a hidden camera in an unmarked cop car parked somewhere up on the footpath......I just paid it and moved on,all you can do......

2009 TWEEKD FG XR8 IN SILHOUETTE
all mods done by Walter Markham from Oztek Performance
killerjoolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The speed zone is in force from 2.30pm until 4pm, so you're not going to get out of it mate.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I drive through 6 school zones on the way to work every morning. The one thing that ****es me off is the last school zone which is a selective boy’s high school (supposedly the smart ones!) and it is on the corner of two 4-lane major roads. There are major bus stops on 2 opposite corners of the intersection. Everyday as I try to drive through this intersection there are between 2-30 boys running across the road trying to get to school, they aren’t late either, just stupid and impatient.
I always drive through there at the 40km/h limit but if I or any other motorist was to hit one of these students, I would go into bat for them. People running across the road need to take more responsibility for them selves. They aren’t 5yr olds they are 13+ and it’s just this particular school.

I also had a very close call with a mother and baby this morning, which probably resulted in new undies for both of them. I was turning onto the onramp for the Sydney Harbour bridge (kinda a major rd FFS!) and this stupid woman was J-walking across the road pushing a pram! How stupid can you get??? I only just saw them and managed to pull up but the lady panicked and pushed the pram in front of my Ute!

Moral of the story – people need to take responsibility for their actions crossing roads. Rarely do you hear of people killed walking on the footpath!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #10
fairBA
Banned

I wonder what would happen if (god forbid) a child did get hit by a car going 40, would the speed be droped to 30 or 20? where will they stop? I dont want to enter the arugment of money raising agian but just a thought. but it does not sound good for you, got enough points?

the people your talking about above should exercise some self responsibility
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

* Every 5km/h above the limit causes a doubling in crash potential etc blah blah.

* The 3.31pm, just outside the school zone time?? Edit, saw Feather's comment.

Dave, agree - too many allowable km/h speed signs, thing is do we knock off the 60's and 90's and stay with 50, 80, 100, 110km/h? COSTA tried that, and his plan has died away, followed the country road safety summit a year or two ago. Going OT.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Whilst (I assume) the majority of the population think it is just revenue raising and as you also mentioned- why not put flashing lights, the answer to this is fairly straight- forward one....
Flashing lights - would that slow you EVERYTIME or would you look and think 'hmm there's no kids around?'

Speed camera - now you have been caught - i'm tipping when you come to a school zone it will remind you a hell of a lot more to slow down- and you more than likely will....

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
fairBA
Banned

solution without fines = Pit lane rev limiter!!
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
* Every 5km/h above the limit causes a doubling in crash potential etc blah blah.
Being an engineering student Physics was one of our major subjects. Friction factors and the weight of certain cars were used whilst experimenting this exact statement.

With brakes adequately working, this statement is nothing but a lie!!
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #15
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I almost bowled over a couple of teenage girls this morning... The were too busy gasbagging to each other to look up and down the road whilst crossing it... They walked straight out in front of me...

This was on a 50km/h major road with heavy traffic, and If I had of hit them I would have been at fault and treated like a criminal... Lucky for them I could see their ignorance to their surroundings, and was on the brakes before they stepped in front of me... If it had of been someone not paying attention, it would be a different outcome.

Pedestrians need to take resposibility for their actions too!

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It amay seem harsh and I don't agree with them but you did the speed, you got caught, you knew the rules, you ain't gonna get out of it. I just got done recently for doing 56 in a 50 zone in Fliders street Melbourne at 11 on a tuesday night, now that's annoying. But I am going to pay it and I didn't start a thread here on ways to get out of it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
la2or
Your Hero

Isnt it 10% over? so 50 in a 40 zone is like 25% over the limit.

i agree. Driving 50 with eyes on road and ready to stop is safer than 40 with the speedor flickering going nuts
la2or is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You got done by a boxed Camera with let me guess the three warning signs before the camera. In a School Zone with those 40 Lights that flash on the side of the road. !!! Dude
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #19
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Pedestrians need to take resposibility for their actions too!
bingo! exactly what no one will do, therefore it is ALWAYS the fault of the motorist
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #20
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The only way that you should try and get off is if you dont think that you were not breaking the speed limit. If you are sure that you were NOT speeding, then fight it. But if you know that you were over the limit, take it on the chin. And yese pedestrians need to take more responsibility when crossing roads. But you cannot expect a 5 year old to be accountable in a 40k school zone. All the parents out there will know exactly what I am saying.
Old 18-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #21
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my primary school was on the highway with just a refuge island to save us from trucks. no one ever died. kids are too soft these days.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #22
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
my primary school was on the highway with just a refuge island to save us from trucks. no one ever died. kids are too soft these days.
nah its cos they are too fat and slow these days

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it is possible , last one I beat cost me 5k in legal fees... can you afford it ? and sorry I know there is a webpage but perhaps someone else has the url .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #24
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
You got done by a boxed Camera with let me guess the three warning signs before the camera. In a School Zone with those 40 Lights that flash on the side of the road. !!! Dude

like i said earlier no flashing lights.four lane major road with trucks that must have obscured my view .still dont know if it was a fixed camera or not.i have driven this road before and never noticed any sign or signs relating to this.i am going back to check the area and may take some photos.
Old 18-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
theunfairadvant

You can try Aussie Speeding Fines Website

In a school zone i see people speeding at 100km/h down in a
40km/h zone all the time one day accident is going to happen.

You get caught by a fixed camera and there is more than enough signs and warnings for you to slow down but you didn't. Pay the fine and move on.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 01:09 PM   #26
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was the non-school period limit? 60km/h? If you are anything like me and don't have kids I don't have a clue when school is on or not (kids always seem to be on holidays anyway). I rely on the flashing lights .. especially if I cruise through after about 9:15am - no obvious plethora of 4x4s dropping off kids. I'd just argue as the sign is subjective - ie. school days - and you don't know exactly what days are school days, and that you were actually traveling BELOW the normal speed limit?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go baby Go
Whilst (I assume) the majority of the population think it is just revenue raising and as you also mentioned- why not put flashing lights, the answer to this is fairly straight- forward one....
Flashing lights - would that slow you EVERYTIME or would you look and think 'hmm there's no kids around?'

Speed camera - now you have been caught - i'm tipping when you come to a school zone it will remind you a hell of a lot more to slow down- and you more than likely will....
Right and Wrong. Flashing Lights that work only while it's "School Days" at "School Zone Times" would make drivers alot more aware that they are entering a school zone, I have cruised through zones many times watching traffic around me too reliese after that I went through the school zone.

Also means that you know that the cameras say its 8:35am where your clock may say its still 8:28am and you go stright through thinking your two minutes early.

Just because your caught by a camera, isn't going to stop you in the future, you can have my word on that, because after being caught doing 108 in 100 zone on the ring road in melbourne (with 6 lanes and hardly any traffic), I'm now losing my license for 6 months.

I think school zones are good for primary schools, but with them being around Secondary/Colleges and even TAFEs/UNIs some places its not teaching people that the roads are there vehilces and not them to just walk all over except where we provide crossings.

Thats what else annoys me, people who cross 5 metres back from a crossing with lights and all because there too F&ucking lazy to walk a little futher! :togo:

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #28
dave289
Banned

i live in sydney where until recently there were no flashing lights in school zones at all.now they have them in some schools and not others ,but next week there will be one where there was not before.so its a lucky dip as to which schools have them and which dont.the other problem with having no flashing lights at these times means some people dont no what time of day it is and will drive at 40 kmph when it is outside of these hours making it frustrating for other drivers.i could go on about this but have something better to show as i have taken some photos of the crime scene and am getting them ready for you guys as i type.

there are flashing lights there and three (very clearly (not) marked) signs.i will show you shortly(downloading photobucket).this road is also used by many large trucks that would help obscure your vision.it was not easy getting a coulpe of these photos either with the busy traffic .but i lived.

photos shorthly
Old 18-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #29
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the thing that ****es me off the most is the fact it is an exercise in ripping people off more than it is of looking after the safety of children.how do i know this.well there is no flashing lights to warn me of this in this apperent school zone which would let people know and make it more safe for the children.it is much cheaper and of more safety to the children to install flashing lights but instead of doing this they put a speed camera .once again go figure.
Another Great point!!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #30
dave289
Banned

this shot is taken from the lane i would have travelled in to turn left at the lights. and i will show you a shot of the previuos two signs and flashing lights after this shot.

and another

and a picture of all three signs if you can see them all.the flashing lights are somewher behind the pole.i did not see these flashing lights and am not a dope.it is possible a large truck was ahead of me to help obscure these huge(daimeter of no more than ten centimeteres) lights buried behind the pole.

also even if a light truck was turning left where the silver merc 4wd is then you have no chance of seeing this already obscured sign.