Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Christchurch Earthquake

As we are now on the New Server, all the posts this morning are lost.

So...

Quote:
New Zealand's opposition leader says one person is dead and police say the exact number of dead is not yet known after Christchurch was shattered by a second major earthquake in five months.

This time the tremor, which struck at 12.51pm (1051 AEDT), was 6.3 magnitude and classed by experts as an aftershock to last September's 7.1 quake. It brought down buildings on two buses, fractured gas and water mains, started fires, and badly damaged phone networks.

Advertisement: Story continues below

A bus crushed by falling building debris in Christchurch. Photo: Getty Images
Do you know more? Text 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764), email us at scoop@smh.com.au or direct message on Twitter @smh_news

As thousdands of shocked people wandered the rubble-strewn streets, the city was shaken during the afternoon by a series of strong aftershocks, as firefighters searched for numerous people trapped in buildings.

Local media reported a backpacker being killed in a van, and Labor leader Phil Goff said he knew there was one person killed in the Pyne Gould Corp building, which collapsed. The rescue of a woman from the shattered roof of the building was televised as scores remained trapped inside.

The cathedral crumbles in the Christchurch quake. Photo: Stuff.co.nz
Prime Minister John Key said he was awaiting official confirmation of deaths after the shallow quake. Police also said they had repoprts of multiple fatalities but could not confirm any deaths yet.

The Ministry of Civil Defence said Christchurch hospital had more than 40 injured people and expected the numbers to rise.

There were also reports that "significant hotels" had collapsed and that two suburbs were beyond repair as the exodus from the city began.

'Fighting for their lives'

Christchurch mayor Bob Parker said: "There are people fighting for their lives at the moment but there are also people fighting for them."

"We're in the middle of an extremely serious situation. We're preparing ourselves for what I think will be a really sad, bleak day for our city but be reassured everybody is doing what they can."

Parker said there were currently people still trapped in cars and buildings, with some being able to phone to say they're trapped.Chr

A state of emergency has been declared, New Zealand’s Deputy Prime Minister Bill English said.

All flights across the nation were initially grounded as emergency crews worked amid the shattered buildings, including the cathedral, to evacuate the city centre and rescue those trapped. Police advised evacuees to go to the nearest civil defence centre.

Amber Armitage said people were wandering around central Christchurch trying to get out but all exits from the city were blocked. There was a strong smell of gas and clouds of dust.

A priest standing outside the rubble of the damaged cathedral told New Zealand television: "It is huge. We just don't know if there are people under this rubble."

Mr Key said: "It is a very populated time with people at work, children at school."

Christchurch Hospital was damaged but is operating and triage centres have been set up at Latimer Square in the city, Spotlight Mall, in Sydenham and Sanitarium at Papanui.

Christchurch resident Sean Scanlon said it was by far the biggest quake since the original September 4 quake. The power was out and phone lines jammed.

Police said the airport had been closed. All flights were initially grounded across the country as the national air traffic control centre in Christchurch was checked. Flights outside Christchurch resumed once that was done.

An emergency service worker told Sky News that numerous people were believed to be in the cathedral tower when the quake hit.

"I spoke to a witness when I got here earlier on," the unidentified worker said. "They said when the shocks happened there was people up in the tower. That's full of rubble. They're probably passed away. I'd like to go in but we've got to wait for search-and-rescue to go inside."

The worker said he had entered the church twice briefly but saw no signs of life.

"I went into the chamber ... with another gentleman with hard hats on," he said. "I yelled out three times 'Anybody there?' Silence there, there was no replies. I've done that twice, 10 minutes apart. I believe there's nobody in there, and if there is they're probably unconscious or passed away."

Christchurch's annual Festival of Flowers is being held in the city from February 11 to March 6, and its popular floral carpet display at the cathedral ended on Sunday.

Australian search team on its way

Australia has sent a 40-strong search and rescue team to Christchurch to help.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard told parliament: ‘‘There is likely to be a lot of searching to do under the rubble.’’

While details remained sketchy, authorities on the ground in Christchurch were reporting ''multiple fatalities''.

Ms Gillard said the images streaming out of Christchurch were ''truly shocking''.

Jimmy Sciascia, who was in a friend's house about 200 metres from the centre of Christchurch when the quake hit, said: ''The focus now is to get out of the city or to get out of the places where the quake happened.

''The roads are jammed. Traffic is moving quite slowly. Everyone appears to be heading out of the city.''

Mr Sciascia said the main city centre where the large buildings were located had been cordoned off by police and only emergency workers were allowed in.

Shallow depth

University of Canterbury Earth Sciences Professor John Townend told Radio New Zealand that today's event was connected to the quake on September 4. He said aftershock sequences did end but any of them could be quite big.

Christchurch is built on silt, sand and gravel, with a water table under it. In an earthquake, the water rises, mixing with sand.

GNS Science said the quake struck 20 kilometres from the city at a depth of five kilometres.

The New Zealand Herald reported that the jolt was felt in the capital Wellington to the north and the city of Dunedin to the south.

Residents say it lasted about a minute.

GNS duty seismologist Bill Fry said the acceleration of today's earthquake was larger in Christchurch city than the magnitude 7 earthquake last year.

"Instantaneously, they would have felt the greatest amount of shaking today. But the duration would not have been as long."

The earthquake happened at a shallow depth of five to six kilometres below ground.

In the city, the acceleration measured the same as the force of gravity.

In September, the largest acceleration felt around the city was on its eastern side, and this measured 0.8 times the force of gravity.

Today's earthquake did not last as long as the September quake, but Dr Fry said its duration had not been confirmed yet.

Destruction everywhere

Kay Cowlishaw said there was destruction everywhere.

"There's just water pouring out and sewage, the whole garage is filled with water. There are cracks in the road."

A visitor to the city, Philip Gregan told AAP over the phone: "It was incredibly violent, very very scary.

"We're all standing out on the street with sirens going off around us.

"Oh no, there's another one," he said while on the phone. "I want to get out of here."

Tarmac on the road was cracked and water mains had burst, flooding the streets.

Nathan, a Melbourne surgeon attending a medical convention in Christchurch, said he had seen major destruction around the city following the quake, which was followed five to 10 minutes later by a strong aftershock.

He feared there would be fatalities, including at the cathedral in the main square where the steeple had been destroyed.

"I'm over here at a convention in Christchurch and just in the middle of a session, you know, the speaker was speaking and suddenly the ground shook, and glass was breaking and it was really quite frightening," Nathan told radio 3AW.

"Fortunately nobody from our convention appears to be severely hurt but there's a lot of major destruction here in Christchurch.

"I don't know if you know the church in the centre of town, the steeple has fallen over. I'm certainly fearful that there will be some fatalities among that, and a lot of the buildings just adjacent to the city square, the awnings of buildings have all fallen down and a lot of buildings around here, it looks pretty shaken up. All the water mains have burst. There's water seeping up through the roads. It's a fairly scary place to be right now.

"The road has been buckled up, just like looking at bits of liquorice sort of burst up on the seam. It really is quite incredible."

Buildings fall on to cars

He said buildings had fallen on to cars, while "lots of second storeys have fallen onto first storeys".

"I guess a lot of us now don't know what to do. Some of us were thinking to go down the hospital to help out but we were told not to leave the area because it's not safe," Nathan said.

Jared Cummings, from Melbourne, was on the phone to his father, John, in Christchurch just as the earthquake hit.

"He said '****' and all I heard was nothing and then I heard my mother crying in the background," Mr Cummings said.

He tried to call emergency services in New Zealand but couldn't get through, before talking to his parents again.

"They were OK but their house was destroyed, massive cracks in the retaining wall."

He said his sister in Christchurch said there was huge damage to roads and bridges.

Dunedin resident Katie Brock said she could feel the earthquake and the aftershock.

"In Dunedin, the quake felt like a side-to-side roll, which seemed to last a long time," she said via email.

"Time enough for me and my workmate to look at each other, say: '****! It's an earthquake!'; think about what do do, and then stand under the door frame until it stopped.

"A little while later there was another aftershock. Not so strong, but freaky after the first one."

Sky News footage also showed people being taken from buildings and others running down the streets that were filled with rubble and parts of fallen buildings.

One man named Michael in central Christchurch, holding a bloody tissue to his nose, told Sky News he was hit by rubble.

"I've just gotten a bash on the face," he said.

Australian thoughts with quake victims: Swan

Deputy Prime Minister Wayne Swan said the thoughts of Australians were with the victims.

"We hope that there is good news," he told Parliament today.

Foreign Affairs Minister Kevin Rudd said there were deep concerns about the loss of life and serious injuries.

"For the people of Christchurch this just isn't fair," he told the National Press Club in Canberra, ahead of his address on foreign policy.

"The damage is large, it's the middle of the working day, and the earthquake has not been deep from the surface."

Mr Rudd referred to Australia's solidarity for its Kiwi friends at "a horrible time" for the people of Christchurch.

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott said his thoughts and prayers were with the people of Christchurch.

"Millions of Australians have family and other links across the Tasman," he told reporters in Canberra.

"This is a very sad time and our hearts are with the people of New Zealand."

Mr Abbott said it was important the Australian government responded appropriately to the disaster.

"I'm sure that we will be only too happy to meet any requests for assistance the New Zealand government might make."

Last September's quake

The epicentre of last September's quake was 40 kilometres west of Christchurch at a depth of 10 kilometres.

About 100 people were treated at hospital with earthquake-related injuries but no one was killed.

The quake caused causing billions of dollars of damage.

The first jolt, at 4.35 am on Saturday, September 4, lasted about 30 seconds.

Four days after that earthquake, GNS Science warned that aftershocks might continue for some time.

The city has been shaking regularly since, with aftershocks up to 5.1 magnitude recorded.

Christchurch is the largest city in New Zealand's South Island and the country's third largest.

New Zealand sits on the so-called "Ring of Fire", the boundary of the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates, and experiences up to 15,000 tremors a year. It averages at least one a day that is magnitude 4.0 or stronger.

A Qantas spokesman said a Sydney-Wellington flight was diverted to Auckland. Another Melbourne to Auckland flight was being held back in Australia while other flights departing Auckland were put on hold, he said.
I don't know what to say, except that I feel for New Zealand. Just when they were getting back on their feet, this happens.

Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been watching this on TV - there is some pretty major damage & looks like dozens of probable fatalities. Our thoughts & prayers are with our Kiwi cousins.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
CJR09
RPO 77

just confirmed 65 so far :( felt it here in Invercargill 600K's away...

still have to account for a couple of family members...

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm gonna start building my ark.

Floods, Cyclones, Bushfires, Earthquakes....Far out!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
max
LWBforME

Yes, it is very sad and tragic. My deep sympathy for the people of Christchurch. They have been living this trauma for months. With the nonstop seismic activity going on for a long time, I think the area is a topgraphical work in progress. It would be difficult to continue living there in such circumstances.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

It has been a big one alright,i've been watching this live on tv over here in Nz just as soon as it was aired and the scenes of devastation are un real,the reporters would keep apologising for the graphic scenes as they were live and un edited,I saw some bad scenes that are not very nice.As the above post says there has been confirmed 65 people dead and many more are expected to have lost their lives,a very sad day in history today.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Dear Christchurch

Whatever you need, and for however long you need it, we've got your back.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Dear Christchurch

Seconded.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Got some step cousins in Christchurch. No one in my step family can get hold of them. So fingers crossed.
Old 22-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Mother Nature is having a field day of late...My thoughts go out to everyone in Christchurch.

Lets hope there are no more casualties. :(
Old 22-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

hope what ever family i have left in NZ are safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not long back from Christchurch,bought my old mum home as shes at her wits end and needs a break.It was simply terrifying when it hit and all things considered we were lucky to be able to get home a couple of hours drive from Christchurch,thankfully the main bridges are all intact.Thoughts to those there,many have a very long night ahead and ive no doubts tommorow will be very sad as they get amongst the rubble.Fwiw if any of you Aussie guys are trying and not able to get in touch with people in Christchurch if need be pm me names.numbers and i will try from here,phones are working off and on in many places.
Old 22-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Possibly inappropriate in this thread; but you're a nutter!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Poor Christchurch!!, lets hope they find more survivors in all that mess
Old 22-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My heart goes out to our NZ counterparts

Hope all our members are safe as well as your families

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Dear Christchurch

Here here
Thoughts are with our mates across the Ditch
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

speechless
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was down south for the September quake and that was bad enough but this is just at another level. Time of day sure doesn't help.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
nstg8a

it certainly shaping up as one of the worst ever, now we have to hope the aftershocks dont get too crazy... there will be a lot of very weak buildings just waiting to topple.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thought's and prayer's are with those in Christchurch,
Such a lovely place, We visited there last October and spent a day there, loved the big old building's and the Catherdral which unfortunetely took a big hit, very sad.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Spudz27
Call me Spud

My thoughts go out to those affected. Seeing as this is Ford Forums, came across a picture of an AU XR6 or 8 that very nearly fell of the roof of a multi story carpark.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/gallery-e...9987048?page=5
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

I wish i was there to help them.My thoughts go out to all the people affected.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was in Christchurch last month, a really nice clean city, shame. Here is a photo of the Cathedral I took last month:

http://img541.imageshack.us/i/imag0516e.jpg/
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #24
XR8putts

It's a dark day in our history, the tv footage is surreal. My family down there is accounted for and safe. Unofficially 125 people have been rescued alive from the rubble, let's hope that number climbs because there are still many missing.

God defend New Zealand.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #25
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Shocking stuff, all my family members are accounted for but had some close shaves.

Mum's cousins truck disappeared into a hole that opened up and another cousin had a roof collapse on her. Scary stuff.

All the best to our kiwi mates. Christchurch is a beautiful city.
Old 22-02-2011, 10:17 PM   #26
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661

Floods, Cyclones, Bushfires, Earthquakes....Far out!
they did say 2011 was the end didnt they?
but yeah this is shocking, one thing after another !
Old 22-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sheesh I use to see pics etc of Italy when they had them ... This is way to close to home..
Great that at these times we can help from both sides of the ditch...
Tomorrow is going to be one sad day for the city of churches unfortunately..
Very nice city...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #28
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My thoughts and best wishes to all those people that were caught up in this. Also there friends and family ...
Old 23-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #29
FgNewbie
Australia

Except it would be selfish, I'd say stop the world I wanna get off

I was empty & speechless watching the breaking news
When will mother nature's madness end :(

It was reported very early that Australia is a friend waiting to help

My thoughts and prayers are with Christchurch and everyone affected especially those still buried
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #30
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Does anyone in NZ know how Team Hutchinson Ford, in the CBD, faired? - I worked here for a few years before coming to Australia and haven't heard from my old workmate that keeps in touch.

Also news of the University - my son is there. Not in the City Centre so better off and probably OK.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post