Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-01-2024, 10:45 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default couple of non related electronic questions

Q1... for the show/markets trailer we have Id like to hook up some plain LED lights about 5-7Meters how long would they run for off a spare car 12V battery.

Q2 we also run a Square card reader and Ipad for sales, could they run off the same battery?
I have been trying to run them (8hours) off a USB power pack but the Ipad still seems to run itself flat while the power pack still has plenty of charge left.
Old 06-01-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: couple of non related electronic questions

Q1 - depends on the total wattage of the lights but (for example) a 7M string of 12V cluster lights runs out to about 9W so at 12V that's 0.75A so a 450 Ah battery is going to run them for weeks (well 600 hours).
Q2 - as long as they are 12V capable items then yes. Most portable card readers are and the iPad supports an accessory 12V charger that can be used to run it but be aware that most of the 12V Apple chargers only supply 2A which is just enough to run it.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 12:15 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Tonz, I think you're gonna need a bigger battery.

A spare might only be a SLA battery and won't like being depleted more than 50%. Probably in your case worth buying a Lifpo to avoid the hassles.
It will still need charging at the end of the day

As Russell states as long as they are all 12V it should run fine, its when you start introducing an inverter and mixed voltages is when you start loosing efficiency.

I thought Ipads and such used 18V-19V's which makes the conversion less efficient again.

In any of my conversions I like using large cap. lead acid deep cycle batteries.
Offgrid RV's for instance, any good 12V battery bank (s) should be able to supply enough power for 10X the usage per day.

Did you say you are using a Jackery (portable battery bank adaptor)

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #4
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hell no not Jackery

something similar to this
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...webp_QL65_.jpg

but pen to suggestions without selling my grave site
Old 06-01-2024, 12:39 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
hell no not Jackery

something similar to this
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...webp_QL65_.jpg

but pen to suggestions without selling my grave site
Basically the money worth spending is all in the battery I reckon nothing less than 120amphr wide plate given it will run all LED's and all accessories all day before being re charged.
Wide plate type lead acids rarely allow build up between the plates so will last well being constantly recharged and discharged.

good read....

https://www.batteryzone.co.nz/the-zo...ries-explained

I won't suggest battery companies because everyone has their favourite (Century).

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 02:27 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

If you want a car battery to run your electricals for the day then purchase an automotive deep cycle wet cell battery, it can charge off your car if you wish to set it up or just use a battery charger at the end of the day.
I have been running this particular one in the below link in my ranger which runs a fridge/freezer and other electrical devices, has not let me down in 5 years of hard power demands and still going strong.
My experience as a sparky wet deep cycle lead batteries are more robust than AGM or Lithium
https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/products/ns70tx-mf
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 11:42 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Can newer iPads work as newer smartphones do, and supplant the Squarepay type devices?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2024, 11:44 AM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

???? your asking me?