Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Townsville to Melbourne drive

So i'm going to drive from townsville to melbourne and was after advice on what route to take? i have done the drive before but only used the coast roads. i am looking at using the inland route to save some km's and was wondering what the roads would be like for a perfomance sedan, any dirt etc? those that are truckies or have travelled the road what's the condition like at the moment?how is NSW with all these floods around? cheers for the help, i leave on monday. Mitchel highway or the A7?

these are the two routes i was looking at taking

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ed=0CBAQ_AUoAg

I cant link the other route but it was through emerald, roma, st george, dubbo, wagga wagga, albury, lilydale

Last edited by fordomatic; 14-03-2012 at 08:43 PM.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Townsville to Melbourne drive

When I used to do Nth Qld weekly the only way I'd go was down to Gladstone, across to Goondiwindi then Dubbo down the Newell hwy.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
When I used to do Nth Qld weekly the only way I'd go was down to Gladstone, across to Goondiwindi then Dubbo down the Newell hwy.
cheers mate, just curious why you skipped the A7? i've driven the newell plenty of times, just never the A7 so im a little concerned about the road conditions as i don't know them.
Old 14-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

OK, I give up. What's the A7 ?
Old 14-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let me know how you go! Am hopefully gonna drive to melb from Townsville later in the year! Was planning going coastal to Brissy to visit people and then inland via wagga ....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Let me know how you go! Am hopefully gonna drive to melb from Townsville later in the year! Was planning going coastal to Brissy to visit people and then inland via wagga ....
will do mate, hardest thing is i need 98 fuel due to the tune in the car. im thinking of doing what GasOlane suggested as i know that whole route very well, and he is a well seasoned interstate driver . it's just i save 300km by going the A7
Old 14-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno how well youll go via Aramac finding Premium around there?
Place was almost a ghost town when i visited it in the late 90s.

Servo at Torrens creek (least there was last time i was there).

Havent measured the distance to barcaldine back to Charters Towers... Take a jerry can just in case!

The other downside (?) is lack of scenery out there! But... at least there is bugger all traffic, but beware that road goes through cattle country and cows wander the road. (no fences) oh and sometimes sheep!!!! dunno if they run sheep out there anymore though??? God i miss my trips

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
OK, I give up. What's the A7 ?
emerald~walgett
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few weeks ago the roads around cunnamulla / St george still had water running over the road, but assume they would be no issue now. But as I found out at the time, the worst thing is the quality of the information you get (and how quickly things can change). Depending on how things pan out, the BOM site
http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/rainfall/pme.jsp indicates there might be a bit of rain activity around that area on Sunday (who knows about monday).

If going down that way, just be careful of all the goats. 20 times more prolific than the kangaroos and 20 times dumber (if one is stuck on the wrong side of the road to the rest of the pack, it will get back to them no matter what).

Also did Mackay to Melbourne a few months back. Turned inland at Rockhampton, thru miles and onto goondiwindi etc. Roads were good, very little wildlife, very little traffic and most of the way was posted 110 kmh. I guess what you save going inland sooner, you lose on quality of roads and greater wildlife encounters.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done Rocky to Syd on inland roads and coastal roads, and have always found the coastal roads to be a bit faster, and the roads a bit better. The roads between North QLD and Brisbane are quite bad on the inland run.
FPV414 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
emerald~walgett
Ah, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
But as I found out at the time, the worst thing is the quality of the information you get (and how quickly things can change). Depending on how things pan out, the BOM site
http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/watl/rainfall/pme.jsp indicates there might be a bit of rain activity around that area on Sunday (who knows about monday).
Ah, you just don't know where to look Try http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/desktop.html for NSW and updated very regularly, at least twice daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Also did Mackay to Melbourne a few months back. Turned inland at Rockhampton, thru miles and onto goondiwindi etc.
Oops, I said Gladstone when I meant Rocky

FWIW Tully to Melb can be done in just under 43hrs with a speed limited Truck going the way I mentioned before.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
will do mate, hardest thing is i need 98 fuel due to the tune in the car. im thinking of doing what GasOlane suggested as i know that whole route very well, and he is a well seasoned interstate driver . it's just i save 300km by going the A7
I too was running a 98 tune in my Ute when I went from Newcastle to Mackay. Didn't have a problem on the A5/Newell. Just made 1 or 2 extra stops in Qld as I wasn't sure on the towns. Noting that I was able to get from Newcastle (Maitland) to Boggabilla on one fuel tank despite a loaded Ute Love the 80L tank.

Quote:
When I used to do Nth Qld weekly the only way I'd go was down to Rocky, across to Goondiwindi then Dubbo down the Newell hwy.
Did the same route until I got to Narrabri (where the Kamilaroi hwy meets up with the Newell) and headed home via Gunnedah, Willow Tree (where Kamilaroi meets with the New England Hwy).

Will travel the same route again when I go back up in the next few months.

Never travelled the A7 so can't comment!

PS Good luck with the trip! Drive safe

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

ok fellas, thanks heaps for all the advice. i am going to drive down to rocky and then jump on the newell from there, through goondawindi etc etc. i just cant trust the fuel or conditions on the inland route.

where could i stay from rocky on the way to goondawindi? i'm only doing 10-12 hours a day as i don't want to drive at night in this car (roos)
Old 15-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

depends ont the type of trip you are doing, if you are just wanting to get there, the shortest way there would be the inland way, Townsville, hughenden, winton, barcaldine longreach,Emerald Charleville down to Cunnamulla bourke down to Hay Echuca etc
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
where could i stay from rocky on the way to goondawindi?
Taroom or Miles would be your best bet, just check the net for Motel/Van parks etc.
Quote:
i'm only doing 10-12 hours a day as i don't want to drive at night in this car (roos)
Sheesh, some people have no sense of adventure
Old 15-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ok fellas, thanks heaps for all the advice. i am going to drive down to rocky and then jump on the newell from there, through goondawindi etc etc. i just cant trust the fuel or conditions on the inland route.

where could i stay from rocky on the way to goondawindi? i'm only doing 10-12 hours a day as i don't want to drive at night in this car (roos)
Plenty of accom on the way.

Take a satnav so you know how far to the next town and can find alternate as required, a UHF to get any updates on the road, a Telstra mobile (the others don't work well away from the coast) and a 20 litre jerry can just in case.

Have fun.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

what car is doing the trip? curiosity
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
Matty4
Banana

I did Melb to Bowen last Sept. With 2 drivers we did Melb to Yaamba (Rocky) in 22hrs. Spent the nigh there and continued to Bowen next day.

Going home 2 weeks later took the same route home (from Rocky down the A5 to Taroom, Miles, Goondiwindi then the Newell to West Wyalong, left to Wagga and Albury then the Hume to Benalla and then Midland Hwy through Bonnie Doon (we're goin ta.....), Yea, Yarra Glen then into Lilydale.

Stayed in Banana 1st night and then Forbes 2nd night.

I was in my Terri that is also tuned for 98, had to use 95 a couple of times but at constant cruise it wasn't an issue. I had a bottle of octane boost if I could only get 91 and needed it, no issues at all. Next town with 98 I topped up.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 15-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
what car is doing the trip? curiosity
My other car, VY clubsport Don't shoot me down, i like the car but i hate there forums, i feel at home here and i still have the ford as well, just not going to take it.

I have all my stops sorted now, Wandoan or miles the first night, i will just stay at caravan park. at a mates to catch up in dubbo the next day, wagga to see more mates again the next night and then into lilydale on the fourth day.

Nice and easy trip really as i have done brissy to townsville countless times and i always do that in 1 day, it's about 16 hours.
Old 15-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #20
754DXB
Starter Motor

Did Brisbane to Townsville a few months ago and for what it's worth, if you have an iphone most fuel companies have apps that list what fuel is available where. Worked well to plan our ride north and any route changes along the way. Have a safe drive.
754DXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you ever get a gt and do you know what that manderin one for 30 on car sales is like
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
did you ever get a gt and do you know what that manderin one for 30 on car sales is like

I got sick and tired of looking mate, i reckon i looked at about 15 and none where what i wanted in the end. I wasn't willing to pay 33-38 for an immaculate BA when immaculate VZ HSV's where going for 25-28 at the time. I ended up buying the clubby because the guy was super desperate to sell. It was one of the cleanest cars i had looked at and he had 25 on it, i offered 18 and he took it, best buy of my life. i have been offered 25 for it up here in townsville. I still want a BF GT as it is the car i truly want (my dream car). i just have to wait until im on my feet again as i bought another investment property recently, maybe in two years or so.

I haven't seen that manderin one.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
My other car, VY clubsport Don't shoot me down, i like the car but i hate there forums, i feel at home here and i still have the ford as well, just not going to take it.

I have all my stops sorted now, Wandoan or miles the first night, i will just stay at caravan park. at a mates to catch up in dubbo the next day, wagga to see more mates again the next night and then into lilydale on the fourth day.

Nice and easy trip really as i have done brissy to townsville countless times and i always do that in 1 day, it's about 16 hours.
I wont shoot you down, I beleive VY and VZ is best commondore they made, they have all the little detail done to them. Its what I would buy if I was looking at holdens. Great choice.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #24
Big Bird 17

Watch the road conditions around Moree and Narrabri,i went thru there in early January and there were a lot of potholes.Since then there has been another major flood in Moree so i'm guessing there will still be a few in that area.Apart from that enjoy the trip.Ya gotta love a road trip!
Old 16-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
Watch the road conditions around Moree and Narrabri,i went thru there in early January and there were a lot of potholes.Since then there has been another major flood in Moree so i'm guessing there will still be a few in that area.Apart from that enjoy the trip.Ya gotta love a road trip!
Cheers mate, that's what i was looking for, someone who had driven it recently.

i shall enjoy thoroughly