Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #1
Zxdan
Starter Motor

Question How much rear suspension rust does your LS have?

So, there I was under my 2 month old LX checking out the tow bar that the dealer had fitted, when I noticed all the rust on the rear suspension beam as can be see in the picture. [IMG]
The other side had less rust & you could see some of the original surface. I could not believe that this would be normal state of things! So while I was in Sydney this week, I went down to a dealers yard after hours & had a good look at the 3 Foci that were there. All showed rust to some degree but not as much as mine. Now, knowing that the Mazda 3 & Focus share the same chasis, I checked out a couple of Mazda's & all were perfect.
So, is this just how it is for the Focus & I must lump it or is this a problem that I need the dealer to sort out?
I wonder if the Europe built XR5 has the same "issue".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1605.JPG (110.2 KB, 57 views)
Zxdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

The Fiesta has the same problem - but at the front

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I think mine's like that. Not sure though. But I assume (and it looks like) its just surface oxidation. I dont think its something that will cause structural problems later.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine's clean as a whistle after 7 months and 25000k's
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Forest Bear

I noticed that on my car when I first got it. I think that actual component is the "control blade" itself. I couldn't figure why Ford couldn't paint or coat that bit. It will last the life-time of the car I'm sure but it does look pretty lazy. I'm kind of worried the rust might creep off and "infect" surrounding components.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could try a lanolin based rust preventative spray- it's supposed to be good stuff.
Old 29-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
kuans

The question now is… in the light of this discovery of ‘rust’ or ‘surface oxidation tat appears like rust’ …. We, as focus owners, should expect a car from the manufacturer to be free of rust or any rust-looking material. And we should expect no less than a rust-free car, no matter where the component/s may lie. Of cos having said tat, we must ensure we do not subject our cars to corrosive environments.

Does anyone know our warranty rights with regards to the discovery of rust in a brand new car?
kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
FRA
Mr Focus

Both our Focus are clean, Hatch 17,000km and sedan 50,000km no rust at all
Where have you been driving your Focus?
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FRA is ur Focus a LR or LS model because i know one is a LR, don't know about the other one because in this thread they are talking about the LS model

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post