Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
lamborghinifan

Default Help me make a Buy/Sell Decision

Ok, I'm just at a crossroads with my ute, 2004 BA mk2, dual fuel. 4sp auto.
Love driving it, has most of the bits (bullbar, alloys, ipod, tranny cooler, undertray toolbox, spotties) i want, but as i am considering working for myself and will constantly carry about toolboxes, ladders etc, the 4sp just doesn't cut it when it comes to say slipping a quick right hand turn etc, just needs that extra gear with the weight on board.
until now it's mostly been an empty highway cruiser, i've owned it since nearly new, after my grandfather bought it new, and it has 110k on it. it owes me nothing and i am prepared so spend a few say, $2-5k to get what i want.

my questions:
Is it possible/feasible to slot in a 5sp auto, are they much better?

I drove a 5sp manual today, liked it, but i imagine would not be a feasible conversion. Are these a weaker setup, and how do they go with GAS.

Is is better selling (12-14k) and upgrading to say a bf mk2 manual (14-18k), do they come in a 5sp auto? I still like the ba-f shape and interior.

Also to remember is I have had the LPG conversion done. it has well and truly paid for itself, but it is the mixer setup, so a little sluggish. I would probably convert if I upgraded with an injected system.

any thoughts/experiences appreciated

lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
AUIIISR

Ive got a BA MKII XL work ute, 212xxxkms 5 speed manual, still drives brand new, honestly best car ive ever had for a daily, only things done to it are front hubs replaced and rear brakes at 200000, regular services, upgraded H/D rear suspension was the best thing I ever put in it, will take a cube of conmix on the back and hardly faze it. 5 speed is strong enough for me, its done several trips to sydney and melbourne towing cars, no problems 4th @ 100kmh, tonnes of landscape work etc etc. Good utes I'd say the BF would be just as good. Its due for trade in at 220xxx am looking at a 4x4 ranger single cab and deck it out
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
I think adding more gears to your auto wouldn't fix it if the real problem is lack of power due to the gas conversion.
The next step up from your BA 4 speed auto is the BF 6-speed auto, however that conversion requires full re-wiring, new PCM, new propeller shaft, and a whole lot of parts. In other words better to trade it for something, and get another one rather than even thinking about conversion.
The only conversion that is fairly simple these days is to swap in a XR6Turbo from BA into your BA. You would need to replace the gas system to one that suits turbo. You should be able to find an engine & gearbox package from an XR6T for approx $ 4500,
Again, if you sell your ute, and purchase a turbo ute, then fit a sequential gas system you are probably where you want to be? Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
DEVO'S MB XR5T

Well, I reckon if you are thinking of starting your own business you should keep the ute you have. (nothing wrong with it, Reliable) You don't want to be paying off a new ute while getting your business up and running...
But if you have to get a new ute, I would go with an Auto and dedicated LPG motor?
When you are driving and the phone rings, (offcourse on hands free) you would have a free hand to write numbers, quick notes, and at the last minute make that quick right turn!! if you had a manual you might miss out on the client!!
DEVO'S MB XR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #5
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So whats the problem again?....
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

get a 6-speed manual from a turbo...

stronger, and you have 6 gears
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
lamborghinifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
So whats the problem again?....
ha thanks, actually, the bare roots problem is that i probably just need someone to tell me it's actually allright, leave it be.
I have an injected LPG system in my territory, love it, but to change the system is nearly as much as a full conversion. and no rebate this time!
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If it is going to be a work ute ... leave it at that ... to make it a fun throw-around ute and work ute ... while retaining LPG will start costing you.

By all means do some mods ... but a transmission conversion is not going to be easy ... the 5-speed autos are in the FG ... so not really set up for the B-series when i comes to PCM control ... ZF conversion ... PRICEY. Especially for the vehicle you have.

If it does everything perfectly for work ... leave it at that really. Reliability is more important than having the ute spend time off the road.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post