Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #1
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Dog keeps eating shoes - any help/ideas

hey guys, i have my puppy for about 3 months now and he has a thing with eating shoes my mum is getting real sick of it but no matter what we do he doesnt stop...

does anyone know of anything we should try, i was thinking there might be a spray that dogs dont like and maybe i could spray the shoes or sumthing....

Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Try Vinegar. Dogs hate it! Works on where they pee so might work on stopping the shoe biting too!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

spray some citronella around them, cats hate it too
Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah my kelpie did that when he was a pup. Ruined about 4 pairs of slippers, 1 pair of shoes and countless shoelaces. He just grew out of it.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

start wearing chocolate shoes
Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #6
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
start wearing chocolate shoes
then ill eat my shoes...

ive tried smakin him with the shoe or smaking on the ground near him but nothing works... i like some of the ideas about the vinigar and citrus ideas or whatever

so far hes eaten My new Globes, destroyed mums new runners, and tore up 2 pairs of thongs and 1 pair of slippers and my work boots... and its not as if we leave em on the floor there on a shoe rack
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Keep the shoes away from the dog?

Give Dr Harry a call.

Oo\===/oO
Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sprinkle some pepper on the shoes.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Duke
The Duke

Keep the dog outside and give him a pair of steel cap Blundstones, perhaps your old tap dancing ones, should keep him busy for a while.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Falconfan

Some dogs will grow out of it, if they don't it is usually because of boredom. What breed is the puppy? There is a bitter spray you can buy from vets that is odorless (you could use vinegar, but then your shoes with smell like vinegar... :togo: ). Spray it on the shoes and eventually your dog will start to associate the bad taste with the shoes and steer clear of the shoes!

Hope that helps.

Red Cars are faster..

Black cars are cooler..

But Yellow Cars are just plain better!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

They usually do this out of boredom but also because as puppies they are teething just like a human baby and chomping on a shoe is soothing for their gums. You might like to try getting a doggy snack kong - you can buy them in a pet shop or Kmart has them as well I think, you fill them with some dry dog biscuit pieces and it usually keeps them entertained for a while. It might pay you to get him some other cheap toys to play with as well, knotted ropes, heavy rubber chews and other stuff like that. Don't buy anything that he is likely to swallow either, cause they don't know any better at that age. Oh and by the way I wouldn't admit to smacking him, the way things are nowadays some nutter is just as likely to report you to the RSPCA for that, just joking, but then again. :

Good luck!!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try the odurless spray as others have said. We just keep our shoes inside and the dogs outside
Old 11-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Try putting some tobasco sauce around the shoes. ie. on the inside cushion. He'll bite one and never go near it again.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
You might like to try getting a doggy snack kong - you can buy them in a pet shop or Kmart has them as well I think, you fill them with some dry dog biscuit pieces and it usually keeps them entertained for a while.
lol reminds me of when we got my dog one. He got the sIIIs that he couldn't get the food out so he threw it off of the balcony onto the road

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hes a jack russel, he has got an old shoe to play with and a heap of new dog toys it dont stop him, might try that spray...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
putput14
Starter Motor

I think Russ has hit the nail on the head. Keep the shoes out of the way until he passes this stage, and in the meantime give him plenty of other toys to play with and encourage him to use these rather than the shoes... i actually find peanut butter works well in kong toys and i can keep any one of my dogs amused for hours while they try to lick it out of the middle of the toy..
The other thing i am thinking is that if he has an old shoe to play with maybe he just thinks that any shoe is fair game.... just a thought, but we have always kept our shoes off limits at all times, and have never had a problem..
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same problem with my puppy.

Shes just over a year old and nothing stops her, she gets anxiety when we go out.

She has eaten DVD's, phone cords, countless bags, chair leg and my personal favourite when we locked her out of the room, THE WALL !!!!!!!!

She is a stumpy tail cattle dog, shes not as bad as she used to be, but some times she still trashes the joint.

So your lucky its just a couple of shoes
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Old 11-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #18
Falconfan

sounds like one of our little terrors, Red Cattle X Staffy, he just loves to tear stuff up when you're not home! Did mums entire mattress in one day...

Red Cars are faster..

Black cars are cooler..

But Yellow Cars are just plain better!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

closed at thread starters request
Closed Thread