Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
zdcol71
zdcol71

Default Opinions on daylight saving?

As the title suggests.
I for one, don't understand Queenslands' ongoing fear of it.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Trevor 57
is now there

Absolutely love it.

It just goes to show that Qlders are a bit backward OMHO!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's good once you get over the initial darker mornings and difficulty getting out of bed - that passes after a week or so.

Nothing like lighter nights in summer..especially in the southern states or NZ where it doesn't get dark till 9 or 10pm

I understand there is an overwhelming majority in SE Qld for daylight saving , but not so popular in the northern and central parts of the state
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

love it.....
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah its great, something to look forward to when summer comes around.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

I love it. Was great in Sydney.

But now in WA where they don't have it, it SUCkS. Waste of time having the sun rise so early. Can't stand it.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I live in QLD but spend most of my work time in Sydney/Melbourne. From my experience it doesn't make a huge difference from a lifestyle perspective. If you want the extra hour at the end of the day, then start an hour earlier at work. Most people (office jobs) I work with in Sydney/Melbourne start at 9am, most QLD'ers start at 8am anyway.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
As the title suggests.
It's not the fear of it, it's the stupidity of having it up hear. this is Gods own country up hear so why change the time, we don't need to.
If someone wants to start work earlier you maybe able to organize how to do so.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
Trevor 57
is now there

I was talking to a guy from Brisbane who works/manages in the building industry, he reckons it is no good coz you will have to pay the people overtime and that the workers will get too hot - go figure - FFS.

My mate and I tried to convince him otherwise, but he just wouldn't have it.

I honestly believe that most Qlders don't get it.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

LOVE IT... should be longer...
I love going home and having some day to still do stuff

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
KYSBF

Most QLDs have probably had no real experience with it maybe....
I spent 6 years in Melbourne and loved it, would have it here in a moment. Another factor could be the that while it maybe good for the coastal areas, not so sure out west.
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
LOVE IT... should be longer...
I love going home and having some day to still do stuff
thats the part i like

when i am able i work arvo shift ( 3 -4 hrs a night ) and it is great to get home when the sun is still out

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
As the title suggests.
That is because you live in Brisbane.

The world is round and the coast of QLD slopes west.

The closer you get to the equator the less effect the seasons have as the thickness of the atmosphere (as in angle and therefore distance travelled) changes very little.

There is little, if any, twilight north of a couple of hundred km south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Due to the shape of Australia (look on a globe not a flat map as the projecton model distortion increases the further you are from the equator e.g. Greenland is only 400km wide but looks bigger than Australia) sunrise and sunset are at very different times to the southern areas.
The further north you go the later the sunrise/sunset. Mt Isa is only about 100km east of Adelaide.

So while the city office dwellers and southerners in general love the idea of cool afternoons and long twilights sipping chardonay and pontificating on life, the universe and everything up in the north it is just stinking hot for what appears to be even longer.

Conversley moving the time zones in winter would be better for the northeners as it is cooler and less monsoonal then.

To settle the arguement, why don't we just move the time zone forward 1 hr permanently?

You can have your twilights in summer while we swelter in the stinking heat and monsoons and we can have cool evenings in winter while you freeze your bums off in the dark.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
I was talking to a guy from Brisbane who works/manages in the building industry, he reckons it is no good coz you will have to pay the people overtime and that the workers will get too hot - go figure - FFS.

My mate and I tried to convince him otherwise, but he just wouldn't have it.

I honestly believe that most Qlders don't get it.
I love daylight savings, I get out of bed an hour earlier and go for a ride before work. Unlike you Mexicans who need to fiddle with the clocks to get up earlier.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Absolutely love it.

It just goes to show that Qlders are a bit backward OMHO!
This ^
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

The closer you get to the equator the less effect the seasons have as the thickness of the atmosphere (as in angle and therefore distance travelled) changes very little.

There is little, if any, twilight north of a couple of hundred km south of the Tropic of Capricorn.

Due to the shape of Australia (look on a globe not a flat map as the projecton model distortion increases the further you are from the equator e.g. Greenland is only 400km wide but looks bigger than Australia) sunrise and sunset are at very different times to the southern areas.
The further north you go the later the sunrise/sunset. Mt Isa is only about 100km east of Adelaide.

So while the city office dwellers and southerners in general love the idea of cool afternoons and long twilights sipping chardonay and pontificating on life, the universe and everything up in the north it is just stinking hot for what appears to be even longer.

Conversley moving the time zones in winter would be better for the northeners as it is cooler and less monsoonal then.

To settle the arguement, why don't we just move the time zone forward 1 hr permanently?

You can have your twilights in summer while we swelter in the stinking heat and monsoons and we can have cool evenings in winter while you freeze your bums off in the dark.........
I was in McKay a few years ago over summer, and for the life of me I could not understand why you lay around at 5.00 in the morning with the temp high and the humidity high, why not get out of bed and go to work early and knock off that 1 hour earlier, you are proving you don't get it.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Daylight savings is great for bbqs and beers after work....

I look forward to it every year... ;)
Old 05-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:

This is the line I like. "Appears"
DLS has failed in WA again because so many people argue that it is hotter during DLS. I love all the BS that people come out with.

"I'm a farmer - I get up with the sun and stop when its dark. DLS means that I have to work longer hours and my cows will all stop breathing and the sheep will start climbing trees".

The subject has been rasied over here again, and will for a long time to come.

(oh yeah, in case you can not tell - I like DLS)
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
Trevor 57
is now there

I really love this one "my curtains will fade coz we have an hours extra daylight"

Oh FFS!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
MOTORE
1969 Ford XW Project

I think it's great especially since it's over summer.
MOTORE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it. I reckon SA should be EST anyway. That way we would get 30min all the time and 1.5 hours in DST.

Bring it on!
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Cool beers after work while the sun sets on a 35degree day, that's why I love DLS.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

HATE it, DESPISE it, PEEVES me off something fierce!

And NO it has nothing to do with stupid curtain rubbish!

No matter what reasons anyone has 'for DLS' or 'against DSL' each think the other party are mad. So no matter what I say to explain WHY I hate it so much means 'jack' cause the next person who disagree's with me means the same. Its proven time and time again... just look at the messages above?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 05-10-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Forgot my reason!
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
Trevor 57
is now there

Well there must be some intelligent reason why it annoys you so much, mind sharing?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #25
aye you
The Origional, The Best

annoys me, living in darwin it makes it that much harder to get anything done if i have to call the eastern states.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
HATE it, DESPISE it, PEEVES me off something fierce!

And NO it has nothing to do with stupid curtain rubbish!

No matter what reasons anyone has 'for DLS' or 'against DSL' each think the other party are mad. So no matter what I say to explain WHY I hate it so much means 'jack' cause the next person who disagree's with me means the same. Its proven time and time again... just look at the messages above?
In other words, you don't have a reason - right?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was in McKay a few years ago over summer, and for the life of me I could not understand why you lay around at 5.00 in the morning with the temp high and the humidity high, why not get out of bed and go to work early and knock off that 1 hour earlier, you are proving you don't get it.
Would that be somewhere near Mackay?

I have explained the physics of the problem.

If you investigate daylight saving world wide you will find that it is common above the Tropic of Cancer and below the Tropic of Capricorn but quite rare close to or in the tropical zone.

So either the whole rest of the world does not get it or you don't get it.....
Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
This is the line I like. "Appears"
DLS has failed in WA again because so many people argue that it is hotter during DLS. I love all the BS that people come out with.

"I'm a farmer - I get up with the sun and stop when its dark. DLS means that I have to work longer hours and my cows will all stop breathing and the sheep will start climbing trees".

The subject has been rasied over here again, and will for a long time to come.

(oh yeah, in case you can not tell - I like DLS)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

What do all the blue bits have in common?

Why should WE have to change our ways and inconvenience ourselves just so YOU can have some leasure time and you seem to find it difficult to work out what time to make interstate phone calls?

None of you seem to like my winter time zone change. It would be great for us and I do not care if you freeze to death or have to drive around in the dark just like you do not care about us.......
Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #29
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, over here on the other side of the world, I don't like DLS - because I have to get up reeeeeely early to watch the commencement of Bathurst - such is life.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #30
davessleepin351
anti-zombie specialist

heheheh he said hoe...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi...asses-DST.jpeg