Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-12-2021, 10:05 PM   #91
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I notice that the price for the patches shows AUD $15.00, how long does that last you?
Looks like a fairly big box.

Hope they find a proper needle less treatment, mainly to benefit the kiddies born with type 1, must destroy the parents, maximum stress for sure.

Cheers Billy.
$15 includes 10 of these particular patches, I got 10 days from the first one. I guess the life of each patch will vary depending on exposure to water and sweat.

The most modern way of administering insulin to a diabetic is via an insulin pump. These negate the need for regular injections via a needle/pen.

My parents had to pin me down to administer insulin as a child via a traditional syringe.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #92
prydey
Rob

DFB, pretty sure libre2 sensors can be covered and still scan ok. My daughter uses patches that cover it up and it's fine. Her phone scans it through her clothes too if she's wearing long sleeves.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:07 PM   #93
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
DFB, pretty sure libre2 sensors can be covered and still scan ok. My daughter uses patches that cover it up and it's fine. Her phone scans it through her clothes too if she's wearing long sleeves.
I have been wondering that. My initial use of the Libre was via a group induction with a company rep present, I remember being specifically told not to cover the very center of the sensor. I guess the update to the gen 2 changed that. Thanks for the clarification.
Mustang GT

Old 29-01-2022, 07:09 PM   #94
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm approaching 3 months on these Libre sensors now. Not one single blood test since November 15th!!

And yet, it takes a lot to break a lifetime habit, twenty eight years of finger ***** blood tests. I still catch myself instinctively getting out of bed in the morning and going straight over and pulling my glucose monitor out of the drawer before remembering that I don't have to do those anymore.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #95
prydey
Rob

Great news DFB.

Now we just need cgm's to get added to the subsidy list for everyone.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #96
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

At the risk of sounding filthy, I have never used so few tissues!

Doing 4 - 8 actual blood tests a day meant a lot of fingers wrapped in tissues.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #97
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
At the risk of sounding filthy, I have never used so few tissues!

Doing 4 - 8 actual blood tests a day meant a lot of fingers wrapped in tissues.
Ha, speaking of sounding a bit off, my daughters just suck on their fingers after pricking
Old 05-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #98
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ha, speaking of sounding a bit off, my daughters just suck on their fingers after pricking
Oh good god, no!
Mustang GT

Old 15-02-2022, 07:01 PM   #99
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Had a 3 month check up with the Endo today. I'm normally 6 months with him but that was halved to check in with how was going with the Libre sensors.

Last year, my HbA1c had risen to 8.1 (65) after years of hovering around the 6.8 - 7.0 (51 - 53) range. Three months on Libre sensors and I have managed to lower that number back down 7.3 (56). I'm super pleased this has gone in the right direction, there is an element of shame for me when the numbers are not painting a good picture.

This is a screenshot of my numbers today -

Time for a new sensor today, trying blue patches this time.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2022, 07:25 PM   #100
prydey
Rob

Looking at your graph, you have very good control, especially considering you aren't on a pump. Obviously you've been dealing with it for years but to stay between 3 and 9 is very good.

Great to hear your hba1c is back down under 8.
Old 15-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #101
slowsnake
Banned

Your high readings seem to come on around your mealtimes, but isn't that normal?
2 hours later it looks pretty good to me, well done!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2022, 11:10 PM   #102
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Your high readings seem to come on around your mealtimes, but isn't that normal?
Even a non diabetic graph would look like that to some degree...
Old 16-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #103
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
A normal, non-diabetic persons body will meter out insulin in a natural, as needed way.

A diabetic is attempting to mimic this via injections or pump in a preemptive way. Prior to meals, I need to calculate (and often estimate) the carbohydrate values of the food I intend on eating. Sounds easy? There is more to than that.

Say I want to eat something with 50 grams of carbs. For me on 1 unit to 10 grams, that means I need 5 units of quick acting insulin.

But, lets say I have a pre-meal glucose reading of 10.0 mmol/L? For me that means I need to add a corrective dose of 1 unit to bring my sugar down to a theoretical 7.0 (this is worked out on a 1 unit equaling a 3 mmol/L decrease.).

So in theory, that means I need to take 6 units for this meal. But, again there are more factors.

Lets say this is a lunch meal, that means I will be working and highly active. I then need to account for this otherwise I will have a low reading (hypo) a few hours later. So my 6 units then becomes 3 or 4 units.

And all of that doesn't take into account factors such as stress, other medications, illness and outside temperatures...........all have the ability to affect glucose levels. (Fun fact, Insulin is actually a hormone. When you are stressed, Cortisol as a steroidal hormone will actually raise your glucose levels.)

So there is a lot to get right, and wrong, in attempting to maintain good control. One miscalculation of carbs or working a bit harder than anticipated can sometimes show up via a hypo or hyper reading. And this is why the graph swings up and down.

The above is done every single meal, every single day. A person with a functioning pancreas has all this done for them, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #104
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I have a coworker friend who is long term diabetic on Insulin and Metformin who always struggled with diet and glucose control until he went on Ozempic pen, started at at baby dose 0.25 mg and progressed to 0.5 mg and bam, his readings went to 5 or 6 and stopped spiking above 7 or 8.

I was so impressed that I asked my doctor if it was worth a shot, my condition had slowly worsened last year to fasting 16 and peaks over 21. Since January, I have progressed to 1 mg Ozempic dose per week with Metformin and seen my fasting fall to 9 this morning and a peak of 13 during the day and this is my third week at 1 mg Ozempic, to say that I’m stoked is an understatement.

Back to GP on Friday, hopefully i can avoid insulin for now but who knows.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 09:16 PM   #105
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A normal, non-diabetic persons body will meter out insulin in a natural, as needed way.
Most normal people are headed for type 2 diabetes/insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome etc.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2022, 09:21 PM   #106
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Most normal people are headed for type 2 diabetes/insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome etc.
Most?

Got some stats (from a credible source) to back that up?
Old 04-03-2022, 05:40 PM   #107
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I had to have a MRI done today, which had been booked for a few weeks now. Guess what had to be removed prior to the procedure? Yes, my 3 day old Libre sensor.

And guess who delayed ordering his next supply earlier this week?

And now guess who's back to doing blood tests until my order arrives, most likely Monday or Tuesday next week now?

To be honest, I didn't even think about about having to remove the sensor until late last night. These things can only be applied once and last 14 days. So I basically removed and binned a brand new senor at $92.50 a pop. Combine that with actual out-of-pocket costs from the three scans and travelling fuel, today was an expensive one. They bloody better find something this time!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2022, 05:44 PM   #108
prydey
Rob

You could try writing to them and explain the situation. They may credit you one?
Old 04-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #109
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
You could try writing to them and explain the situation. They may credit you one?
I'm not sure it's worth my time considering it's not Libre's fault and I elected to have the MRI, just a annoying and disappointing turn out.
Mustang GT

Old 28-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #110
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I am pretty disappointed with Abbott / Freestyle at the moment.

I ordered another two Libre sensors on the 10th of March to take advantage of their free shipping offer. Three weeks later and I'm still waiting for these, to the point that I had to make another order to ensure I had some in stock.

Following the DHL tracker, the package is listed as delivered on 16th of March, yet I did not receive any notifications that they were out for delivery or that they had been delivered. Nor has anyone at home received them.

My first attempt to contact Abbott was via their online enquiry form, which for some reason would not send. Of course Abbott do not list an email address on their Contact Us page, or have a direct an appropriate phone connection to delivery matters, only stating to use the tracking system in my account page. When I did manage to get someone on the phone, they said they would make enquiry's with DHL and would receive an email update at the close of business on the 24th March. I hate not had an email.

Tonight I discover that the DHL tracking lists the item as "Held". Again, no contact with either DHL or Abbott regarding this. So I am left to assume that it is being held at the local depot?

Very frustrating and stressful, especially considering this is an expensive medical necessity.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #111
prydey
Rob

That's pretty poor. Being the items they are they should be sent registered post to a pharmacy for you to pick up, or at least get signed for which I realise is becoming obsolete.

Our supplies all get ordered through the pharmacy. They contact us when they arrive.
Old 28-03-2022, 08:44 PM   #112
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's pretty poor. Being the items they are they should be sent registered post to a pharmacy for you to pick up, or at least get signed for which I realise is becoming obsolete.

Our supplies all get ordered through the pharmacy. They contact us when they arrive.
I will enquire tomorrow when I visit my pharmacy.

Otherwise, I will have them delivered at work.
Mustang GT

Old 29-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #113
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I am pretty disappointed with Abbott / Freestyle at the moment.

I ordered another two Libre sensors on the 10th of March to take advantage of their free shipping offer. Three weeks later and I'm still waiting for these, to the point that I had to make another order to ensure I had some in stock.

Following the DHL tracker, the package is listed as delivered on 16th of March, yet I did not receive any notifications that they were out for delivery or that they had been delivered. Nor has anyone at home received them.

My first attempt to contact Abbott was via their online enquiry form, which for some reason would not send. Of course Abbott do not list an email address on their Contact Us page, or have a direct an appropriate phone connection to delivery matters, only stating to use the tracking system in my account page. When I did manage to get someone on the phone, they said they would make enquiry's with DHL and would receive an email update at the close of business on the 24th March. I hate not had an email.

Tonight I discover that the DHL tracking lists the item as "Held". Again, no contact with either DHL or Abbott regarding this. So I am left to assume that it is being held at the local depot?

Very frustrating and stressful, especially considering this is an expensive medical necessity.
So after 6 days, I got a reply from Abbott saying the two sensors are being held at the local Post Office. Although they don't state which one, I have an LPO two blocks away, a business center and a main street post office. Of course, no note was left to give me any of this information.

Now I have the pleasure of visiting each of these places and attempt to convince them the item is mine. Extremely annoyed.
Mustang GT

Old 29-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #114
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
So after 6 days, I got a reply from Abbott saying the two sensors are being held at the local Post Office. Although they don't state which one, I have an LPO two blocks away, a business center and a main street post office. Of course, no note was left to give me any of this information.

Now I have the pleasure of visiting each of these places and attempt to convince them the item is mine. Extremely annoyed.
You would at least think that they'd send it with a tracking number.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:42 PM   #115
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Just to follow this up, on Wednesday I went to my local LPO and asked if they had a package for me. Well, yes they did and it was literally minutes away from being sent back to Abbott. Apparently they had sent out two reminders for the package, which I did not receive. Someone along the way is not doing their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

I enquired about ordering Libre through my trusted pharmacy, once again the fact that I don't qualify for subsidies with regards to Libre means I loose out again. You need to be under 21 or considered a senior and subsidized to be able to have them ordered through a chemist, so my only outlet for these items is direct from Abbott. Apparently I'm not the only one to complain about delivery issues from Abbott.

From now on, I will be having them delivered to my workplace.

And to cap this saga off, I now have another unrelated order lost in the DHL system. I was left a "Undelivered Item" note in the letterbox, with no obvious contact details or where to find the item. Completely unbelievable and incompetent customer service from DHL, not good enough in this age of online ordering.
Mustang GT

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 02-04-2022 at 11:52 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2022, 08:37 PM   #116
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Starting to have a little fun with the patches........

Mustang GT

Old 12-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #117
prydey
Rob

Why not. Change it up.
Old 17-04-2022, 08:51 PM   #118
prydey
Rob

https://jdrf.org.au/jdrf-australia-w...t1d-community/

Some great news for those with T1D.

Apparently Labor have also agreed to the deal, which means regardless of who wins the election, CGM's will be subsidised, either partly or fully, from July 1.

Details are a bit light on at the moment but hopefully it will mean some much needed financial relief for those on CGM's.
Old 17-04-2022, 08:53 PM   #119
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
https://jdrf.org.au/jdrf-australia-w...t1d-community/

Some great news for those with T1D.

Apparently Labor have also agreed to the deal, which means regardless of who wins the election, CGM's will be subsidised, either partly or fully, from July 1.

Details are a bit light on at the moment but hopefully it will mean some much needed financial relief for those on CGM's.
Finally!
Mustang GT

Old 17-04-2022, 10:24 PM   #120
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's really sad to see that they only let under 21's, preg, elderly to qualify when you think about it a person at the age of 21 and over is still very VERY much in need of these!!!!,
right at possibly the worst financial time in their life they mostly have left home so all the bills that come with that are there a lot at uni so will really be struggling to make ends meet.
they'll be going out etc etc probably the worst time to take it off them..

if they don't let every one have access to these the government will still have a lot of old diabetics in the future on welfare due to complications eyes/heart/kidneys

it makes sense to keep the tax payer healthy so they can keep their hands in our pockets rather than ours in theirs... lol lol

from memory i went from averaging around 12-14 HBA1C every 3 months when younger to in the 8's with a pump at the age of 25
then got censor's when they came out and sometimes in the 6's now

for me now it's all about knocking the peaks off my CGM graphs i have a very bad habit of bolusing after i eat or sometimes forgetting to bolus the CGM and pump are a god send for me

i'm the opposite of DFB FGXR6 i get up in the morning literally like i don't have T1 i wouldn't transition into normal life when and "if" a cure ever comes as i already sort of live like that it's been my biggest down fall a bad habit that i'v never been able to shake

also DFB FGXR6 the hole on the libre is not supposed to be covered thats why some of the patches have a cut out it's like a breather hole for the plastic part it only needs to a tinny cut out if doing it yourself i sometimes still work in building industry and casually in boilers in the power industry so i was knocking these off easily
i found rock tape to be the easiest cheapest most accessible and taking your T-shirt/singlet off is the worst culprit to ripping them off

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker

Last edited by jakkes; 17-04-2022 at 10:33 PM.
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: