Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 
Default To Tease, or to Please...

Let's face is, as car enthusiasts, we are all into something a little different. Some love their turbos, others V8's. Some love drag cars, others like their rides to corner. I would like to think this thread doesn't detriorate into an us vs them battle, nor one about which answer is best.

The question I would like to pose is quite a simple one, but no doubt one that some(many??) may find difficult to answer honestly.

Do you own / modify / prepare your vehicle to please yourself? or more as a tease??

The quick answer here that I am sure most will throw out will be to Please themselves.

I would ask that you pause for half a sec, and ask whether you have taken offense at something others have said about your car, or if you have looked at another car with envious eyes, wanting to one day follow in the same footsteps?

If it is merely about pleasing yourself, then should you truely care what others think? If you do, then perhaps you instead guage your pleasure off the reaction of others, & thus more of a "Teaser"?

Last edited by wulos; 07-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: To Tease, or to Please...

To tease, love showing off my BA GT. Specially when sitting next to a Holden/HSV.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both.

My last car was a highly modified Evo 8. Lots of kW at the wheels, handled like it was on rails with a nice comfy leather interior. It also looked the biz and would often be the envy of a lot of other car enthusiasts, and would always cop looks from people as I drove past.

I think a healthy balance of both is what we need.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
burnz
VFII SS UTE

all of my cars have looked bog standard, from outside to inside.

allthou some wern't mechanicly... i like the sleeper look.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I am aiming for both, a pleaser/teaser for the AU V8, but just a plain pleaser for the ute.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

self gratification.... lol

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No better feeling than seeing 2 vn commodore's race each other in the distance. Pull up next to both of them at traffic lights in the GT and they both take off slowly. LOL. Love to tease as I said before.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Purely to please myself , its mine , I worked bloody hard to pay for it and no external influence is going to sway what I do to and or with it .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Ultimately I am rebuilding my car for myself. I really don't care what other people think. I had a vision for my car and I am sticking to it.

I have heard the gammet of remarks - "That's not what Cobra's are suppose to look like", "If it were me I would restore it to original", "why are you doing that? It is not going to look good"...etc etc

Some people won't like it and will tell me so and that is fine...others will love it. Personal taste plays a big part.

At the end of the day, I want to build my dream car, and that is exactly what I am doing...love it or hate it..it is my car, built to my specificiations with my hard work and money.

My boss loves his Holdens and he mods them and is passionate about them. Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate where he is coming from with it.

That being said, whether people restore/drive cars that are to please or tease, I can always appreciate the effort or love of a car from the owners point of view. but some of the comments I have heard, do sting a little...bound to! When you are this passionate about your car or the project you are working on, of course some words carry a little bit of a bite.

Cheers
Col
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

with a big block, it teases and pleases hehe

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

to please myself and no one else
luckily i haven't heard much bad about my car, but if i get offended by bad words about mine or anyone elses car, it is because the person involved has no respect for others. whether they like my car or not is irrelevant to me, but they could at least have the respect not to post pics of it or others as fails, just because they don't have the rocks to build one themselves

so once again, my coupe is there to please me and no one else
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Well my builds have always been around please. Though Im sure some eliment of tease was involved. Though that being said, Ive always made an effort for my builds to have teasing number plates
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Tease no one is interested in a hair dressers Focus.

I bought it to please myself really i dont care what people say about it or if they dont like, they dont have to drive it but occasionally look at it.

I havnt taken offense to anything anyone has said about it i take it with a grain of salt.
But the feeling it gives me when it comes on boost and i grab the next gear and it comes on boost again makes me happy.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

To please. I want the car to my standards, and I want to enjoy it myself. Positive comments from others are always nice but I've done it for me.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I would say both! The Landau started out just for me ..... but love it when people look and take notice which is every time you drive it. Now I take it out expecting to be noticed ( how can you not) But the way I built it was 100% for me ..... the rest is just a benefit. (Don't buy these things if you do not want attention!!!!!) If a Landau purist got upset because mine is so far from original ........ well I definitely didn't do it to make them happy!

The GT 335 ...... total tease and the bonus is I love it Don't get as much attention when driving except for HSV drivers who LOVE sitting at the lights or doing 'drive bys'

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ultimately, to please.

When I obtain something, I look at it and (if it isn't already) imagine how I'd like it to look, and set it as my goal to get it there. I honestly couldn't give a stuff what anyone think's about my car, and I think if people are affected/hurt by others opinions on their car, they shouldn't own one as their will always be people that will pick on your car.

For my next car (Thinking R36 Passat) I wan't to have the sleeper/tease look with it, as I know most people will think it's a TDI Passat. It'll bring a smile to my face everytime I shock the pants of people that try to pick on me for it.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Tease no one is interested in a hair dressers Focus.

I bought it to please myself really i dont care what people say about it or if they dont like, they dont have to drive it but occasionally look at it.

I havnt taken offense to anything anyone has said about it i take it with a grain of salt.
But the feeling it gives me when it comes on boost and i grab the next gear and it comes on boost again makes me happy.
Sums it up for me too..

I love V8's and I hope to be back in one soon, but the 5 has been a great little car.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
MikGan

My first build was to tease. It was fun but when it was all over I wasn't fulfilled. This build is for me, we'll see how it goes.
MikGan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Majestic

Smile Re: To Tease, or to Please...

to please - I don't need the big 22inch shiny rims and the harlequin paint job etc.. (attract attention) I prefer the car to look very tidy, nice clean paint close to factory with plenty of stealthy performance mods. For me, it's all about the driving experience!
450 awkw with big brakes and fully adjustable suspension is what puts a smile on my face : )

Last edited by Majestic; 09-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Majestic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #20
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
but love it when people look and take notice which is every time you drive it
it is a great feeling when people look at the coupe, but i get a bigger kick out of driving past shop windows and seeing it in the reflection, than when people look at it

i guess i get a huuuuuuge kick out of seeing it for myself
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know my cars cool.. cos i rock.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 300c is for me. I always wanted one and now I have it.
I do attract looks all the time though. Also sometimes have people yell out stuff as I drive past. Mostly positive but I have had a few Haters. A couple of months ago a guy drive slowly in the other direction yelled out some negative thoughts about my car. I looked in the mirror and saw him in a early 90s camry with faded paint, lol.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #23
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
must be an XA thing

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I built my car just so it's what I want, simple as that. It please's me, and im sure at some point has teased (BOV's and turbo noises have that effect lol).

I like what i have done, and comments from people make it even better...simple things like questions about what the wheels are to "is that a DOHC motor?).

Nor am i finished, a boss bonnet is slowly takine shape (yes, bulge on a six, suck on that sore-bum, V8 driving snobs), plus a few other things.

As things happen though, just buying a house and a wedding in 14 months means money is tight...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I build my cars to my own taste, at the end of the day im the only one that has to like it! Having said that i do get a lot of looks and even questions from other enthusiasts and even the general public.

I love my XR6T, i want it to go fast (which it does), i want it to corner (which it will soon when my coilovers are installed), and i want it get noticed!
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
must be an XA thing

Old 07-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #27
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm in the "Please me" camp, I've modified my ute to suit my tastes and try to stay away from what everybody else has, in fact thinking about it I doubt you could find another ute that has the same bling.
After saying all of that I do get a sense of satisfaction when people say "Nice ute mate".

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Great thread there Mark. For me its a combination of both. I have the pleasure to look after a car make it as clean and detailed to satisfy me. The XR8 is a normal car in Australia but the fact that for me its mechanically, aesthetically and drives perfect gives me a nice feeling.

But, part of the fun to drive is to tease (plastic red sports car comes to mind), knowing that what I drive is different and not main stream and causes people to give a reaction, its fun. I would say 90% of people driving classics or odd cars is to let the world know they don't want to go with the flow.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like most people on here, I have worked my butt off to get my car and everything I do to my car is to please me. Every morning I walk to my car and it puts a smile on my face because its a symbol to me of everything I have achieved to get where I am today.

But I must admit its pretty cool when people stop in the street to have a look.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
homegrown
hotshot

My Dad always said I was a teaser. Thats why I ve always wanted a V8 coupe. But the thing he never got was that none of my friends would give two hoots about cars. Especially old ones.
I would definately say to Please myself.
Couldnt care what peolpe thought of my car tho much the same as they wouldnt care what I thought of theirs.
Unless someone had a genuine interest in it I would have a chat about it, But I always try and avoid the "Sick Car" clan.