Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Libs say if elected will make Geelong Freeway a 110 zone!

Thats official now!

Have been talking about it, now its been made an official promise.

They also keep talking about putting the tolerence up to 10% again, so we can legally do 121 on this highway.

Brax's kronies say "that 121 on that road is a licence to kill!"

Many people slow down for the speed cameras, then speed up again anyway.

He has been on the road to geelong a bit lately.

OPPOSITION Leader Robert Doyle says the speed limit on sections of the
Geelong Road should be increased to 110 km/h.

"When I travel along that road, I think to myself, 'I've travelled on
the Hume (Freeway) and the Calder (Freeway) at 110 km/h and they are
nowhere near the quality or the safety of the Geelong Road', so I don't
understand the argument for it not being 110 km/h in some sections," he
said.

"If we only built a road that was capable of 100 km/h then we
short-changed Geelong. If we built a road that was capable of 110 km/h, why
aren't we driving at 110 km/h?"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg papersp.jpg (14.2 KB, 55 views)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Libs in SA promised to raise a lot of streets from 50 back to 60. Lol, they lost worst than usual but id love to see some of the roads back at 60...
Old 27-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have more chance of falling asleep at the wheel at 99km/h under Bracks' regime than cruising at 120km/h under common sense law... I know who i am voting for!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I will be voting for Mr Doyle!!
Old 27-04-2006, 03:46 PM   #5
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

It was definitely built to be a 110kph road.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 03:49 PM   #6
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Its not what the liberals promise that worries me, its what they dont mention until they are elected.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

All freeways should be 110 minimum!

Police should target those who don't keep left and drive at 90 in the right lane, making us brake the law by passing on the left!

Sooner the speed limit is increased, the less time it will take to get to you desination and your are happier.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Police should target those who don't keep left and drive at 90 in the right lane, making us brake the law by passing on the left!

Sooner the speed limit is increased, the less time it will take to get to you desination and your are happier.
I agree 100%
Old 27-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
XRchic
Hello

I live in SA but I am tempted to change my enrolment to vote, so that my address is in Victoria, and therefore register to vote in Vic, just so that I could vote Bracks out. I would say that he is one of the most hated politicians in Australia, and in the land of tall poppy cutters and politically ignorant voters, that is saying something!

His approach to road fatalities and road safety is digusting and he and his government have totally lost focus of the fact they are trying to save lives, but seem to prefer to focus on revenue raising, quite blatantly, and justify it with lame reasoning about how speed cameras save lives... all the while, the roads in country Vic are pretty bad, and while young drivers need driver training courses... duh!

As for the Geelong Road, I have driven on it many times and I dont think I have ever seen a highway which is more suited to 110kmh+ in all of Australia (and even some other countries where the limits are much higher and the roads much poorer). Some parts of the Hume are disgraceful in condition, but it is 110kmh along a lot of it! Many SA country roads are too narrow, windy and steep and yet are set at inappropriately too high speed limits in my opinion.

The Geelong Road is long, with too many lanes either side to count, it is straight, has great visability, there are no residential areas along the sides, or even that much of anything except for the odd petrol station or exit. In fact, it is so empty, it is boring, I dont see how anyone is more likely to have an accident along it, than any other road... I think even the worst driver, at night, could easily manage 120kmh along it.

I dont even think that this issue is about party politics at all, I think it is about Victoria holding the record for having the Premier with the lowest IQ ever recorded in a politician, Labor or Liberal!

I hope you Vics vote the bugger out, and his fellow idiots, so that I can travel over to Vic again without losing my licence for driving at speeds which are actually legal (and therefore safe?) in my own state!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok.. I have gone through this thread deleting the political 'debate' not relevant to automotive subjects.

The next person who drags it off topic with that can have a few days to think about it. We are tolerant with political debate only as long as it is relevant to this forum. Anything else is not tolerated.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah the libs are so in.....that freeway is the best in Victoria IMO and its only 100. The calder is a bit of a shocker, and the hume is nothing flash.

But who said they slow down for the camera then speed up? I thought they were time dependant not just speed at a point?

That freeway is insane, everone drives so close now, all lanes are full, no flow at all.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

oh and just to add another opinion.

I think that if they 10% rule comes back, it should not be in association with the 110 area's, I know it complicates it a little, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and while its only another 10kph, there are some cars that I would not like to see doing 120kph thats for sure.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:

Well said.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #14
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:

Freeways can tolerate speeds up to 130 km/hr during the day in dry conditions. Most of western Europe with these types of roads are speed limited to 130km/hr. 110km/hr is not enough.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There was ИИИИ all chance I was voting for Ballsacksy anyway, so Doyle's promises are just bonuses!!!
Old 27-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #16
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see Doyle getting in for just raising a certain road to 110km and giving us our 10% tolerance back. He needs to start doing a bit more. He needs to hurt bracks where it hurts most.

But I still fear that the state will vote bracks in once again. The opposition in realistical fact are not that great, and therefore a lot of people keep the person who is there already.

Why can't we have someone who knows how to keep the people happy and make the right decisions for us, and not for themselves:jab:?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

A simple speed limit change wont get doyle in... He would need to make it an open limit for me to vote liberal.... Even then i wouldnt :> . ITs just a cheap grab at getting some votes, and even if he did get in, im sure like most poli's they will come up with some b/s reason why it carnt be done. Sure the road can take 110 easy, and if they did change it back to 10% tolerance it would be good. But if u dont speed u dont get caught
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #18
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:

: So true. Well put LTDHO.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #19
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

The geelong road would be capable of 100km/h easily. Most roads are designed for 90%, which means if limited to 100 km., tne road is capable of 110.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #20
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Granted Doyle is just a small d|ck as Bracksy, but his not as bad, and its more about the party than the person.

When Bracksy called it "his" commonwealth games I was appauled.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-04-2006, 12:17 AM   #21
xfalconz

Here in NSW as with all states there are perfectly good freeways with unexpected limit reductions from 110 to 90 for no apparant reason.
As said before why isnt there a uniform speed on these roads, are they deemed to be unsafe in certain parts so the limit is reduced to 90.
If this is the case why is the freeway not upgraded in these areas to make it safe for 110.
There is strech of road on the F3 freeway, 3 lanes and resurfaced, the best part of the freeway but with a sweeping corner. Can do 110 no prob but the limit drops to 90 and the police sit out of sight past the corner..
xfalconz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
XRated
Shoot.

That stupid Freeway. I got done three times in about five days - 4km/h over, 6km/h and one I deserve 14km/h. 500 bucks for you right there, Bracksy, you cretin. Show me how it is saving lives, because it bloody well isn't.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 12:39 AM   #23
xfalconz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
That stupid Freeway. I got done three times in about five days - 4km/h over, 6km/h and one I deserve 14km/h. 500 bucks for you right there, Bracksy, you cretin. Show me how it is saving lives, because it bloody well isn't.
Getting booked for 4/6 Kmh is f-----d up.
Youd think there would be some allowance for error in thier equipment to prevent such dodgy so called offences.
Anyway politicians always jump on the 'speed cameras save lives bandwagon' as a front for revenue creation.
Old 28-04-2006, 01:37 AM   #24
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Building a road so good then keeping it at 100kmh and slapping Cameras all over it is a joke.
Tolls on Scoresby was not neccesary, the Federal Government was contributing 500 million {up front!} for it before Bracks put tolls on it.
All residential Streets down to a crawling 50 kmh, Not just Scool zones which I agree with.
Shopping Strips on Main Roads down to 40kmh {Going in reverse at 40}.
Cameras On Westgate. Fines up every year with Inflation {I wish my wages went up enough to cover petrol let alone any left for a fine and food for me and my family!}.
Registration up every year with CPI {Again less food for me and my family, and why is it going up? I thought there were less accidents and deaths with all the Cameras Stevie?}
Pensioners Now pay double the Rego they used to. Ok so I dont beleive in having anymore 80 year olds on the road than we need to but there are plenty of good 60 year old drivers and lets face it most of us will be there one day if our parents arent already.
Motorbike Regos Now with the levy..You see it's all money Steve.

The latest Propoganda?? Steve Bracks pretends to match Doyles pre election Speed Camera policy by listing the locations of cameras. Atleast for the Naive which isnt me! All it is is a list with about 30 Streets under each suburb and lets face it we know where they are in our area already and you cannot study areas you dont know. Clear propoganda and if you can remember all the Cameras in your city from this list then you should have a masters in medicine degree at the minimum.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #25
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Thats official now!

Have been talking about it, now its been made an official promise.

They also keep talking about putting the tolerence up to 10% again, so we can legally do 121 on this highway.

Brax's kronies say "that 121 on that road is a licence to kill!"

Many people slow down for the speed cameras, then speed up again anyway.

He has been on the road to geelong a bit lately.

OPPOSITION Leader Robert Doyle says the speed limit on sections of the
Geelong Road should be increased to 110 km/h.

"When I travel along that road, I think to myself, 'I've travelled on
the Hume (Freeway) and the Calder (Freeway) at 110 km/h and they are
nowhere near the quality or the safety of the Geelong Road', so I don't
understand the argument for it not being 110 km/h in some sections," he
said.

"If we only built a road that was capable of 100 km/h then we
short-changed Geelong. If we built a road that was capable of 110 km/h, why
aren't we driving at 110 km/h?"
A political promise never swayed me in a ballot. If had a dollar for every broken promise, I could have a phoon for each day of the week... :hihi:
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 05:31 AM   #26
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfalconz
Youd think there would be some allowance for error in thier equipment to prevent such dodgy so called offences.
Anyway politicians always jump on the 'speed cameras save lives bandwagon' as a front for revenue creation.
Bracksy dropped the leeway from 10% to 3%, and yet no Automotive Manufacturer (that I know of) will guarantee more than 95% accuracy from a speedometer. But it was for road safety, not revenue... Hahahahahahah!!! :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 07:19 AM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

I've never agreed with so much before....

I do think the roads will be a safer place if it was looked at from a different perspective.

If only the government did too!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #28
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Yeah tell me about it. It didn't help that I had changed my gearbox and hence the correct speedo wasn't fitted hence read out a tiny bit. I should've known, but they don't give a stuff and won't change anything.

The sooner Bracksy's out, the better.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #29
xfalconz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Yeah tell me about it. It didn't help that I had changed my gearbox and hence the correct speedo wasn't fitted hence read out a tiny bit. I should've known, but they don't give a stuff and won't change anything.

The sooner Bracksy's out, the better.
\
Do you think a government change will remove cameras in Victoria?
Too much of a money maker may be..
Old 28-04-2006, 12:16 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
\
Do you think a government change will remove cameras in Victoria?
Too much of a money maker may be..
Yeah, that is a fair point. I dont think any govt will remove the cameras... as hard to get rid of as pokies Id say...another evil revenue raiser...wont go there.

However, if the tolerances were increased from 3% to 10% (or, as in SA, 10% + 3kmh, apparently), and some speed limits increased on certain roads in Vic (ie Geelong Road to 110 kmh), then surely that would be an improvement since it would reduce the risk of being snapped by the cameras...

Re the accuracy, well I have tested the cameras, sort of, in Vic. I have a Navman GPS. It gives you a speed of travel from a satellite, which is accurate to the tenth of a kmh, apparently. I was doing 100kmh according to the GPS and went though one of those advisory speed limit things just near Ballarat. I was sitting next to my Dad in the other lane, doing exactly the same speed (well close enough, we were side by side for a few km). The advisory thing showed me as doing 105, while my speedo said I was doing 98!!! It also said my Dad was doing 109!!!! I hope the cameras are more accurate than those things, but I thought they used the same technology to measure the speed... its quite scary. And to think I have lost half of my points in Vic for doing speeds under 110kmh...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post