Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 20-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #5491
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Is this proposed vaccine going to be available this year? Next year? The year after?
I think we’re a bloody long, long way out and maybe jumping the gun a little on whether or not it’s compulsory, the legalities and associated moral dilemmas it entails?
By the time it arrives (if?) We all could be “biters or walkers”?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #5492
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Gawd NJNP, I think 2020 will be known as the year of acronyms!
I do a quick google on them.
NJNP relates to pokeman & transvestites.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #5493
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Having said that I'm guessing that you've spent time in all the other states?
Only a wind up mate. Seems to have worked!

Tassie is my favourite (haven't been to WA or NT though) but we are all lucky to be in Australia regardless of where.
Old 20-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #5494
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

220 new cases for Australia and 12 deaths sees the CMR rise to 1.876% although active cases drop to 8,297. NSW recorded 7 cases, WA recorded 4 and Queensland recorded 1 case with the balance in Victoria.

6 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.334% and active cases rise to 96.

The UK had 812 new cases and 16 deaths yesterday for a CMR of 12.892% although we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines.

Just on 44k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,358 deaths sees CMR remain at 3.095% and active cases at 43.7% with the raw numbers still rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA completes 73M, Russia 33M, India 31M, Germany 10M, Bahrain 1M and Argentina 1M tests;
Colombia passes 0.5M cases;
North America passes 0.25M deaths;
Asia records a new daily high with 96,476 cases;

Albania (158), South Korea (297), Libya (489), Lebanon (589), Moldova 626, Ukraine (1,967), Colombia (13,056) and India (69,196) recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #5495
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s OK Martinka, it will be a suppository.

I’m still unsettled by this inference that “a cure” (my summary of the way people are thinking) is just around the corner.
That may be a solution for some, but a potato in the exhaust pipe seems a lot worse than a jab in the arm.
Old 20-08-2020, 02:56 PM   #5496
Bossxr8
Peter Car

News reports today saying the Vic Government asked the ADF to use surveillance drones to spy on people not following covid rules. But the ADF knocked back their request.

Dan must have been so disappointed his police state didn't get them.

HOW MILITARY AIRCRAFT COULD HAVE SPIED ON LOCKED-DOWN
Police would have been sent to illegal gatherings spotted by unmanned military spy planes in a plan rejected by the Defence Force, just days before Daniel Andrews raised concerns with colleagues about troops hitting the streets.
Old 20-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #5497
HIPO
Al

No one worried about Morrison discussing vaxing with Gates earlier this year ???
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #5498
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Gawd NJNP, I think 2020 will be known as the year of acronyms!
Off topic, but acronyms are when the initials still make a word, like PIN (personal identification number).

Anything else is an initialism.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #5499
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Off topic, but acronyms are when the initials still make a word, like PIN (personal identification number).

Anything else is an initialism.
Not quite, I think as long as you can pronounce it in a wordlike manner it counts.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #5500
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You can see it's starting to take its toll on people from a mental health perspective, there's low morale about from the non customer facing staff at work and they're struggling with the isolation.

I guess because they have limited interaction and then they can't do anything post work either so they've got virtually zero contact with others aside from work colleagues and their families.

I'm fine, no big deal but I talk to circa 100 different people a day from everywhere.

Keen on a pub feed when it all comes back, I think the last time I went to the pub/restaurant was in Jan or Feb.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #5501
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m be noticed that malingering unhappiness, too, and not even in Victoria.

Re the pub feed, it might have to be a while yet but BVT is still in my sights…
Old 20-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #5502
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

I've no issue with coercion or the application of sanctions against those who refuse to do something that (by the time it is available) will offer a measure of protection for not only them but for the entire community.

one word for you ...Thalidomide.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #5503
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
I think its a basic human right to not be forced to put something in your body you don't want. Im not an anti vaxer but like a lot of others question the development time of these covid vaccines and will be waiting a bit before i or my family choose to have one.
Well said.

If I had to choose, compulsorily, to vaccinate I would need to choose between a multi national, profit driven, minimum time to market company like AstraZenaca or the Russian "Sputnik" vaccine....

I reckon I would prefer to risk an early adopter experience with the Russian vaccine.
Old 20-08-2020, 11:25 PM   #5504
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Or Vioxx. Merck & Co fabricated data and lied about the side effects of its drug. It's estimated to killed between 50,000-500,000 people from heart attacks. There's a treasure trove of data about how these pharmaceutical companies lie and fabricate evidence to rush products to the market only to have them recalled because they're killing people.

And the government wants us to believe a rushed to market RNA vaccine will be safe and effective with no short term or long term side effects. Without doing such studies. Unbelievable. You can't make this garbage up. No RNA vaccine to date has ever been successfully used on a large scale vaccination program.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #5505
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Not a vaccine, and was never made to save lives. Just something to suppress a natural behavior.

Polio, TB, small pox vaccines on the other hand.
All of which wouldn't have been eliminated from the western world if we had idiots running around claiming they shouldn't have to have the vaccine because it violates their personal freedoms.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
7 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #5506
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Not a vaccine, and was never made to save lives. Just something to suppress a natural behavior.

All of which wouldn't have been eliminated from the western world if we had idiots running around claiming they shouldn't have to have the vaccine because it violates their personal freedoms.

How long was spent developing those vaccines?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 02:40 AM   #5507
marty351

https://youtu.be/ftm1hiXgYsA

Extreme...
Old 21-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #5508
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post

Well said...seriously some people.

I think it goes without saying that you wouldnt inject a rushed vaccine developed in Russia or China without it having wide spread trials and studies...does that really need to be spelled out?

I cant see something decent being made within 12 months from here, but has there ever been such global focus?

Some good questions regarding prior duration for vaccines to be produced, but again effort an technology is very different these days and should be more efficient.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 21-08-2020 at 07:46 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 07:37 AM   #5509
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
First days of New Zealand lockdown were unlawful, High Court finds

Wellington: The New Zealand government exceeded its powers telling residents to stay at home in the first nine days of the coronavirus lockdown, the High Court has found.

Public announcements Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and others made between March 26 and April 3 were justified, but went beyond the actual lockdown order made by Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield forbidding congregating, except with social distancing and shutting non-essential businesses.
https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania...19-p55nap.html
Old 21-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #5510
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
So what's the consequence of this? Kicking Ardern out of office would be a good start.

There's a flood of legal challenged going to start against Victoria and WA for their lockdowns.
Old 21-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #5511
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
So what's the consequence of this? Kicking Ardern out of office would be a good start.

There's a flood of legal challenged going to start against Victoria and WA for their lockdowns.
There won't be any consequences because they'll simply say they were acting on the advice they were provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
Not quite, I think as long as you can pronounce it in a wordlike manner it counts.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
You can see it's starting to take its toll on people from a mental health perspective, there's low morale about from the non customer facing staff at work and they're struggling with the isolation.
People need to HTFU. A few months of lockdown is not even beginning to aproach the six years of spending half your nights in an air-raid shelter and living with severe shortages that the WW2 generation had to live through. Not to mention that nearly half the British population lost a family member to the fighting and 30% of the country was under constant bombardment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo
Here's one back. Polio. How you can compare a 'supposed fix' for a bit of nausea with a life saving vaccination beggars belief. The amount of global scrutiny any vaccine that becomes generally available will get will make anything that has come before pale into insignificance.

The anit-vax morons are fond of trotting out Thalidomide and the other pharmaceuticals that have had negative side effects along with the tiny percentage of people who have adverse reactions to the vaccinations but the reality is that we would still be losing tens of thousands to polio, smallpox, diphtheria etc. without the compulsory programs of the 50's and 60's.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 21-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #5512
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

243 new cases for Australia and 13 deaths sees the CMR rise to 1.910% although active cases took a big drop to 5,919. NSW recorded 5 cases and Queensland recorded 1 case with the balance in Victoria.

5 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.330% and active cases rise to 101.

The UK had 1,182 new cases and (supposedly) 6 deaths yesterday for a CMR of 12.847% although we know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines.

Just under 45k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,260 deaths sees CMR drop to 3.093% and active cases at 43.2% with the raw numbers falling slightly. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The UK completes 15M, India 32M and Sweden 1M tests;
Asia records a new daily high with 96,565 cases;

Lebanon (605), Ethiopia (1,778), Ukraine (2,134) and Argentina (8,225) recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #5513
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
People need to HTFU. A few months of lockdown is not even beginning to aproach the six years of spending half your nights in an air-raid shelter and living with severe shortages that the WW2 generation had to live through. Not to mention that nearly half the British population lost a family member to the fighting and 30% of the country was under constant bombardment.
That's an interesting 'You kids have it easy! Back in my day' flex from someone who didn't live through those times

Here's a perspective from 89 year old Nonna, she lived through Italy during their rise of fascism, the heyday of Nazi Germany, German occupation of Italy and the resulting invasion and fighting from both the UK/Americans when they came through as a young girl to early teens by the end of hostilities, the oldest of all her siblings which she was responsible for feeding and keeping herself and her younger brothers alive.

While the British were hiding in their bomb shelter Nonna was scouring the battlefield for dead horses to cut up or killing and eating people's pets that escaped to feed her family, or stealing what she could from farms and begging for food from British and American soldiers while caught up between four countries fighting a war in her backyard.

Yet she's absolutely against all the lockdown restrictions and is concerned about it's effects on our youth from the perspective of employment and inability to go out and enjoy themselves - she accepts her own mortality, that she's at the end of her life and it's not fair that she's being used an as excuse by a government for draconian measures, no one asked her about her thoughts.

So yes while I'm sure the people who lived through WWII faced tougher challenges, I'm interested in their perspectives on having their freedoms curtailed by their own government and what they think having lived through a war fought against authoritarian governments that killed an estimated 50M-70M people.

Does anyone else here have relatives who lived through that WWII period and are still alive to tell their stories?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-08-2020 at 12:46 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 12:42 PM   #5514
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

So because people went through shocking times during WW2 that people are now soft if they are struggling mentally with lockdown and isolation etc?

Especially as people have considerably different circumstances that can make the lockdown far harder than for others.

For mine that's a very unsympathetic opinion and strange comparison but you are entitled to it.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #5515
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Typical extreme comparison that gets thrown on people who don't want to do exactly what the government tells them to do. Talk about brain washed.

And no i'm not anti-vax. Just want to know it's 100% safe and effective before i'd even consider it. And the proof will be in the pudding over time, not just in clinical trials that can be manipulated.
6 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #5516
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's an interesting 'You kids have it easy! Back in my day' flex from someone who didn't live through those times

Here's a perspective from 89 year old Nonna, she lived through Italy during their rise of fascism, the heyday of Nazi Germany, German occupation of Italy and the resulting invasion and fighting from both the UK/Americans when they came through as a young girl to early teens by the end of hostilities, the oldest of all her siblings which she was responsible for feeding and keeping herself and her younger brothers alive.

While the British were hiding in their bomb shelter Nonna was scouring the battlefield for dead horses to cut up or killing and eating people's pets that escaped to feed her family, or stealing what she could from farms and begging for food from British and American soldiers while caught up between four countries fighting a war in her backyard.

Yet she's absolutely against all the lockdown restrictions and is concerned about it's effects on our youth from the perspective of employment and inability to go out and enjoy themselves - she accepts her own mortality, that she's at the end of her life and it's not fair that she's being used an as excuse by a government for draconian measures, no one asked her about her thoughts.

So yes while I'm sure the people who lived through WWII faced tougher challenges, I'm interested in their perspectives on having their freedoms curtailed by their own government and what they think having lived through a war fought against authoritarian governments that killed an estimated 50M-70M people.

Does anyone else here have relatives who lived through that WWII period and are still alive to tell their stories?
Jeff next door lived through the biltz of Birmingham and, later on as a teenager, dodged Stukas dropping bombs when he was in the Merchant Marine towards the end of the war. His attitude is that this isn't comparable to the hardships of WW2, but he is supportive of the current government measures.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #5517
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Jeff next door lived through the biltz of Birmingham and, later on as a teenager, dodged Stukas dropping bombs when he was in the Merchant Marine towards the end of the war. His attitude is that this isn't comparable to the hardships of WW2, but he is supportive of the current government measures.
NSW current government measures or VIC ones because they're two completely different animals, we're acting like 7 different countries at the moment.

NSW has gyms, hospitality and sports, there's no limitations about how far you can exercise away from home and what you can leave your house for.

VIC has everyone's at home on unemployment benefits or you have work home work home work home work home.
Old 21-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #5518
marty351

Quote:

Yes. My father was born during an air raid on Bristol in 1941.
A bomb came through the ceiling, whilst my grandmother was giving birth, bomb didn't explode and here I am.

It took many walks with my grandfather to find out what what exactly happened that day, and needless to say, when you can see the eyes of a tail gunner of a doomed bomber opening fire and spraying **** everywhere,
5 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #5519
HIPO
Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlkumcRf6w
Old 21-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #5520
leesa

Quote:

Your nanna is under the impression that the youth aren't at risk from this virus, but your nanna is wrong.

https://twitter.com/DipshikhaGhosh/s...43571197341697

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread