Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-12-2020, 07:35 AM   #8221
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_broncos View Post
I have never heard of anything like this over here in the US

well maybe at a hospital or summat but you'd be signing in there anyway if you were a patient anyway.

Signing in at a store?

What is the point of that level of tracing?

We had a thing last February right near me , a pharma company function that according to the news may have spawned 300,000 cases , it took them 10 months to tell us so of what use was all that tracing when you would feel sick a few days after infection?

If you give up that power to trace your movements to a government they will never give it back . No government can be trusted with that.
This is a good insight into America's woes, thanks.

The local governments can barely sort out car rego correctly.

AFAIK a business owner can do what they like, serve who they like if its all within the law.

If it was my own business, and I felt the need to make sure sign in/QR is mandatory then so be it, I am protecting my staff and potentially helping tracing in the event of an outbreak.

I dont actually put my real mobile number in if manually signing in, if poo hits the fan then I am fairly confident ol'Govco will find people easy enough.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #8222
PhilT2

We all willingly carry a tracking device with us which allows the govt to find us anytime they want. It also keeps a record of where we have been. If you think signing into a store is going to give the govt information they don't already have then you are living in the last century.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #8223
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yer min wage is to wrestle some one to the ground ! good way to hype it up
donno bout your back water maccas store but for a small nation we generally have quite a few workers at our stores usually consiting of a few managers , and their first responce to an issue is to refuse service and ask to leave then call the cops , not wrestle to the ground

disclaimer i for one dont like giving any info i dont need to even to the cops

the gov has been advertising they are asking this to happen so not expecting it when entering a store is unlikely , so like me dont go to them , thete are other optionso
yes it can hurt the store , which isnt your problem when asked to fill out the book or leave

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 15-12-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 15-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #8224
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
We all willingly carry a tracking device with us which allows the govt to find us anytime they want. It also keeps a record of where we have been. If you think signing into a store is going to give the govt information they don't already have then you are living in the last century a state of delusion.
Amended for accuracy.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #8225
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

We are travelling back from a family gathering @ Nagambie in central Victoria - it was a party town. No masks, QR codes/sign-ins at venues but no really enforced, hand sanitiser bottles often empty, huge BBQs at the holiday park and some sort of market/party in the centre of town.

As soon as we crossed the Murray into Tocumwal things were strictly enforced again with each pub having a COVID Marshall, appropriate distancing and sign-ins enforced. More masks as well.

Happy to be back over the right side of the border.
Old 15-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #8226
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
We are travelling back from a family gathering @ Nagambie in central Victoria - it was a party town. No masks, QR codes/sign-ins at venues but no really enforced, hand sanitiser bottles often empty, huge BBQs at the holiday park and some sort of market/party in the centre of town.

As soon as we crossed the Murray into Tocumwal things were strictly enforced again with each pub having a COVID Marshall, appropriate distancing and sign-ins enforced. More masks as well.

Happy to be back over the right side of the border.
Nothing enforced in QLD. I was at the convention centre on Saturday. I was asked if I had a ticket. "Yes". OK off you go.

I think you will find compliance is variable.
Old 15-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #8227
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
yer min wage is to wrestle some one to the ground ! good way to hype it up
donno bout your back water maccas store but for a small nation we generally have quite a few workers at our stores usually consiting of a few managers , and their first responce to an issue is to refuse service and ask to leave then call the cops , not wrestle to the ground

disclaimer i for one dont like giving any info i dont need to even to the cops

the gov has been advertising they are asking this to happen so not expecting it when entering a store is unlikely , so like me dont go to them , thete are other optionso
yes it can hurt the store , which isnt your problem when asked to fill out the book or leave

Ya like our cops come if you call them

Anyway , the manager of every store would be calling at least 5 times a day.

We have angry covid warriors on both sides. The never maskers who go into stores unmasked looking to start drama and film it on the phone, and the karens that scold random strangers .

The scolds are usually women. I was in a walmart the other day asking the electronics dude if they had any wifi signal boosters , the kind that plug into an outlet to extend the router signal to the other end of your house.

Some chick literally runs over to us and points at an old man you has a mask but his nose is out. "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT THAT!!!!' she wants the old man arrested or something for daring to have the tip of his nose out.

I pulled my mask down and wheezed at her and laughed . The worker looked at me like oh jesus here we go again

It happens all the time !

The same store I'm walking up to the door a different day , pulling my mask on and this woman walking out pulls hers off and looks at me and says "I HATE THESE F##King masks! " I'm like do I know you?

I wasn't interacting with her , maybe she thought she recognized me or whatever. Why tell me your problem lady?

Whatever minimal level of politeness we had is down around 0.0 now.
Old 15-12-2020, 01:35 PM   #8228
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 14th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

9 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR drops to 3.238%. NSW recorded 3 cases, Victoria, Queensland, SA, WA and the NT recorded 1 each.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.193% and active cases remain at 56.

The UK had a higher 20,263 cases yesterday and -118 deaths after making (another) adjustment..

Just under 195k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,403 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.838% and active cases rise to 40.1% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 73M with the last 1M taking 2 days;
South America passes 12M cases;
The USA completes 222M, India 154M, Russia 83M, UK 48M, Ukraine 5M and Hungary 2M tests.

Only Syria (136); and
Canada (8,119)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 16-12-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 15-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #8229
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have never heard of anything like this over here in the US

well maybe at a hospital or summat but you'd be signing in there anyway if you were a patient anyway.

Signing in at a store?

What is the point of that level of tracing?

We had a thing last February right near me , a pharma company function that according to the news may have spawned 300,000 cases , it took them 10 months to tell us so of what use was all that tracing when you would feel sick a few days after infection?

If you give up that power to trace your movements to a government they will never give it back . No government can be trusted with that.

It’s exactly that level of contact tracing and swift action that lifted SA out of even harsher prolonged lockdown. Quickly knowing where cases have been before it spreads is the reason SA will be able to visit family this Christmas.
God help the US,Biden will have to do something drastic to undo the damage the Cheeto in chief has wrought on the corona virus front.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #8230
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1
Just wear one in side until you’re told not to.

More like don't wear one unless someone in the store says they require it. If they do, that's fine.

Stores should have a sign on the front door if they require you to wear a mask. JB Hi-fi did, so you put one on to go in. Other similar size stores have nothing, so just assume they don't require one unless you are asked. Jeez it can't be that difficult can it?
Old 15-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #8231
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
They have no authority to enforce anything.
I was more referring to the 'NO MASK NO ENTRY' signs at the door of small retailers. Not the enforcing of contact tracing. If the government says you don't have to wear a mask at these types of small retailers, can the shop owner overrule the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Sure, you can sign in with a fake name and number, but they can't check that.
I don't, and will not do that. I really can't understand the point of writing down a fake name and number. All you are doing there is wasting contact tracings time and resources, if it ever comes to it. Writing down fake name and number is much worse than not writing anything down at all!

I will not write my name and phone number on a paper where potentially hundreds of people can see. GAGF'd. I'm happy to use QR code as there's no visible private details that are displayed for all to see.

On a side note, not that I really care too much about this, but as for government knowing exactly where you are/where you've been, as I understand it, if you have your location turned off on a Android based phone (never had, and never will own a fruit phone), the only location data traceable is of the nearest phone tower to your phone. They cannot pinpoint exactly where you are, or where you've been. For example, there's no data that can trace you've been to 123 Smith Street, Smithsville. All they can trace is you are, or were, in Smithsville. If location was on, then they can trace that you've been to 123 Smith Street, Smithsville. Is that not the case?
Old 15-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #8232
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I was more referring to the 'NO MASK NO ENTRY' signs at the door of small retailers. Not the enforcing of contact tracing. If the government says you don't have to wear a mask at these types of small retailers, can the shop owner overrule the government?

I don't, and will not do that. I really can't understand the point of writing down a fake name and number. All you are doing there is wasting contact tracings time and resources, if it ever comes to it. Writing down fake name and number is much worse than not writing anything down at all!

I will not write my name and phone number on a paper where potentially hundreds of people can see. GAGF'd. I'm happy to use QR code as there's no visible private details that are displayed for all to see.

On a side note, not that I really care too much about this, but as for government knowing exactly where you are/where you've been, as I understand it, if you have your location turned off on a Android based phone (never had, and never will own a fruit phone), the only location data traceable is of the nearest phone tower to your phone. They cannot pinpoint exactly where you are, or where you've been. For example, there's no data that can trace you've been to 123 Smith Street, Smithsville. All they can trace is you are, or were, in Smithsville. If location was on, then they can trace that you've been to 123 Smith Street, Smithsville. Is that not the case?
GPS, Bluetooth and WIFI hotspots. Even if you have location data off and you access a wifi hot spot, then your location can be know if someone else with location data turned on has been there before you... as it will upload it's geo location and that hotspot now has a location.

Not sure if that extends to wifi that isn't a hotspot. ie does location services tag your wifi with location data if someone with location data uses it???
Old 15-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #8233
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
GPS, Bluetooth and WIFI hotspots. Even if you have location data off and you access a wifi hot spot, then your location can be know if someone else with location data turned on has been there before you... as it will upload it's geo location and that hotspot now has a location.
GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC all turned off. Battery lasts longer that way.
Old 15-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #8234
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Must get annoying unwrapping the tin foil every time you want to call someone...
Old 15-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #8235
PhilT2

The shop owner can within limits, choose who he serves. There would be an issue if he refused service on the grounds you were black, gay, muslim, disabled or female. These are all covered by the Anti-discrimination Act. But kick you out for not wearing a mask, I'm sure he could.

One of the interesting stories on tracing the movement of people is the Skripal poisoning in the uk. Although the Russian agents had long gone, a picture of their movements was built up from airport, railway and shop cctv. Use of credit cards added to the picture. A full history of their every movement was developed. At great expense I presume.

I've had to adjust to the sad reality that the govt really does not give a rat's about me so
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what they know about me.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2020, 09:57 PM   #8236
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I mistrust curation of data, as it may be grossly - yet convincingly - misrepresented should you wish to challenge incumbent authority (eg, pursue an elected office or defend a spurious allegation). I’d be less mistrustful if our data laws were bound as for EU members.

To return slightly to core topic, a neighbour’s brother (in the Irish Republic) is right at that seemingly pivotal 10-12th day stage with coronavirus, where it’ll either bite hard or start to mend. Apparently he’s overweight and underfit. Unsurprisingly, poor neighbour’s on edge.
Old 16-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #8237
mostly_broncos

Quote:
The shop owner can within limits, choose who he serves. There would be an issue if he refused service on the grounds you were black, gay, muslim, disabled or female. These are all covered by the Anti-discrimination Act. But kick you out for not wearing a mask, I'm sure he could.

One of the interesting stories on tracing the movement of people is the Skripal poisoning in the uk. Although the Russian agents had long gone, a picture of their movements was built up from airport, railway and shop cctv. Use of credit cards added to the picture. A full history of their every movement was developed. At great expense I presume.

I've had to adjust to the sad reality that the govt really does not give a rat's about me so
I don't spend a lot of time worrying about what they know about me.
The Skripal thing is fake news . Practically the plot of a movie . An entire country can just go shoot someone they don't like anytime they want. The theory that they would concoct a sharks with laser beams plot straight out of an Austin Powers movie that then predictably doesn't work is ridiculous
Old 16-12-2020, 12:59 AM   #8238
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
welcome to the 90s. May as well get a Nokia
Old 16-12-2020, 07:19 AM   #8239
PhilT2

Quote:
The Skripal thing is fake news . Practically the plot of a movie . An entire country can just go shoot someone they don't like anytime they want. The theory that they would concoct a sharks with laser beams plot straight out of an Austin Powers movie that then predictably doesn't work is ridiculous
So you definitely believe that govt's don't ever do anything stupid?
Old 16-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #8240
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
I don't think he actually said anything of the sort so don't try to hijack the discussion with your own agenda.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #8241
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I see NSW has recorded the state's first locally acquired coronavirus infection since a hotel quarantine worker tested positive at 1.30am on Thursday, December 3.

Mr Hazzard said the man "drives vans carrying international and other aircrew back and forth to the airport" and the company is based in Alexandria, in Sydney's inner city.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...-case/12988866

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 16-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #8242
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT December 15th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and 0 deaths so the CMR remains 3.238%. NSW recorded 5 cases, NT 2, Queensland & WA recorded 1 each.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.193% and active cases remain at 56.

The UK had a lower 18,450 cases yesterday and 506 deaths.

Just under 200k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,612 deaths sees CMR drop to 1.818% and active cases drop to 39.9% with the raw numbers rising and now over 6.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
The USA passes 17M cases;
Europe passes 20M cases;
The USA completes 224M, India 155M, Saudi Arabia 10M, Portugal 5M, Japan 4M, Bangladesh 3M and Sri Lanka 1M tests.

Only Syria (150); and
Mauritania (296)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #8243
mostly_broncos

Quote:

I think if russia wants some guy dead they just shoot him with one bullet.

If the usa wants someone dead they use a 90,000 hellfire missile shot from a drone .

In fact the ridiculous over-complicated nature of this botched killing makes me think its probably a made in the USA false flag.
Old 16-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #8244
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Funny you mention this, last year, I heard a news report on 2 high ranking CIA officials who were apparently attacked using microwave technology by russina agents in Sydney.
I don't recall hearing anything further to the story but it seemed straight out of James Bond to me.

Sorry back to Covid.

Old 17-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #8245
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Two more positive cases in Sydney's northern beaches area.

Has sparked concern about border closures, especially WA closing its border to NSW residents.

Apparently 100s of people are being urged to isolate for 14 days, even if their test returns a negative result.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...9-2c52f9eb6a8a

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 17-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #8246
PhilT2

The vaccine has arrived in California but ICU's are filling up and extra body bags and cold storage has been ordered.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/5000-body-...ry?id=74741632
Old 17-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #8247
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Two more positive cases in Sydney's northern beaches area.

Has sparked concern about border closures, especially WA closing its border to NSW residents.

Apparently 100s of people are being urged to isolate for 14 days, even if their test returns a negative result.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...9-2c52f9eb6a8a
I’m sure many of those potentially impacted are thinking “We’ll isolate after Christmas”…

I can see this one getting out of hand faster than a Honda S2000 on a wet sweeper.
Old 17-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #8248
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m sure many of those potentially impacted are thinking “We’ll isolate after Christmas”…

I can see this one getting out of hand faster than a Honda S2000 on a wet sweeper.
Hopefully not. The Gold Standard State will snuff it quickly!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...07-p56l6e.html
Old 17-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #8249
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Hopefully not. The Gold Standard State will snuff it quickly!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...07-p56l6e.html
"Gold Standard". As judged by people from that very state. No bias there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #8250
leesa

Quote:
I think if russia wants some guy dead they just shoot him with one bullet.

In fact the ridiculous over-complicated nature of this botched killing makes me think its probably a made in the USA false flag.
Do you have any concept of plausible deniability? What do you think would happen if russians pulled out a gun and shot their intended target in a foreign country?

What is with americans who are unable to accept the scientifically-backed version of events and instead substitute their own fantasy-based version despite it going against all evidence? Does everything have to be a conspiracy?

4 users like this post:
Closed Thread