Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #2221
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Is anyone aware if Australia is currently conducting any of the blind antibody tests?

Very interesting results from both the East and West Coast of the USA, with infections possibly having started a lot earlier than initially thought.
What were the results?

IMHO, when the world has had sufficient time to test and fully analyse ALL available data, I think there are going to be a lot of people and nations with eggs on their faces. That's assuming the truth ever comes out. It took them about 10 years to be certain on the origin of SARS.
The reason China's death count went up by 50% is because they went and back tested and back counted. It will probably keep rising as they continue to back count and back test. Certain countries might be reluctant to do that because they might be afraid of what they will find. CNN has just reported that the first case in the US is now thought to be a lady in California on Feb 6th. Much earlier than initially thought.

"One victim was a 57-year-old woman who died on February 6, and the other was a 69-year-old man who died on February 17, the county said. The county did not name the woman, but Cabello told the Los Angeles Times and CNN that she was Dowd, his sister.
Neither patient had a recent history of travel that would have exposed them to the virus, Santa Clara County Department of Public Health Director Dr. Sara Cody said in a Wednesday news conference, and officials are presuming both cases represent community transmission."

First death was caused by community transmission?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/u...ath/index.html
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #2222
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Elimination is unlikely unless we are fortunate enough that it follows the original SARS pattern and goes away on its own. The more likely scenario is that relatively isolated countries like Australia and UnZud manage to reach a 28 day zero new case state at which point there are some tough decisions to be made at the Government level as to how we approach the new world order which is where my earlier crystal-balling came into play.

I'm frankly against easing restrictions until we reach the 28-day zero case status mentioned above. If a particular State reaches that earlier than others then maybe that could be used as a test case but you'd still have to restrict cross border travel to ensure that you don't cross-contaminate.
You realise you are betting a depression on eradication, something you admit is unlikely.

A depression is going to have an even greater impact on mortality rates but wont be seen till until 50-90 years down the track.
Old 25-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #2223
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
What were the results?

IMHO, when the world has had sufficient time to test and fully analyse ALL available data, I think there are going to be a lot of people and nations with eggs on their faces. That's assuming the truth ever comes out. It took them about 10 years to be certain on the origin of SARS.
The reason China's death count went up by 50% is because they went and back tested and back counted. It will probably keep rising as they continue to back count and back test. Certain countries might be reluctant to do that because they might be afraid of what they will find. CNN has just reported that the first case in the US is now thought to be a lady in California on Feb 6th. Much earlier than initially thought.

"One victim was a 57-year-old woman who died on February 6, and the other was a 69-year-old man who died on February 17, the county said. The county did not name the woman, but Cabello told the Los Angeles Times and CNN that she was Dowd, his sister.
Neither patient had a recent history of travel that would have exposed them to the virus, Santa Clara County Department of Public Health Director Dr. Sara Cody said in a Wednesday news conference, and officials are presuming both cases represent community transmission."

First death was caused by community transmission?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/23/u...ath/index.html

https://news.usc.edu/168987/antibody...ngeles-county/

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....st-ny.amp.html

I’ll leave you to review but the infection on both sides of the US are much more far spread than first thought.

I’ve read somewhere, but not run the numbers myself, that it puts mortality rates below .04%...
Old 25-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #2224
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We're not doing better although the numbers are close (see below for detail).

Australia had 14 new cases yesterday but also 4 deaths so the CMR rises to 1.184%.
NZ had 5 new cases and 1 death so the CMR also rises to 1.168%.
The UK had more than 5,000 new cases and the CMR rose to 13.596%.
The USA surpassed 50,000 deaths and the CMR rose to 5.667%.

In terms of cases per 100k pax, Australia is now slightly ahead of NZ at 39.265 (NZ 39.705) but the mortality rate per 100k is almost identical at 0.464 (NZ) and 0.465 (Australia). NZ has conducted slightly more tests with 2.95% of the population tested (Australia 2.84%).
I think you are when you take into consideration weve been in total lock down for coming up 5 weeks no businesses operating except essential services.... supermarkets etc,

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 25-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #2225
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What realistically is an infection rate that means limited if any lockdowns and therefore normal or near normal business ,public facilities , health centres, schools , sports and entertaiment etc, operations .No chance of a life for most approaching normality until then .

It'd have to be proven to be almost zero wouldn't it ? . And given how contagious this is we'd need a really effective treatment for the big majority of those still getting sick with or without a vaccine.

Is there a vaccine for stupid ...a certain leader of the free world needs it quick after his disinfectant craziness yesterday ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 25-04-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 25-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #2226
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Restrictions in Sydney appear effectively over in many facets. People seem to be congregating, visiting, going out, whatever. Roads are busy. The Asian grocers I visited on Thursday were preferring cash (funny, that). Enforcement will soon become a game of cat-and-mouse if the government tries to clamp down.
Old 25-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #2227
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Is there a vaccine for stupid ...a certain leader of the free world needs it quick after his disinfectant craziness yesterday ..
Common vaccine ingredients or disinfectants:

Thimerosal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal

Formaldehyde
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

Google Patents:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US10105389B1/en
Old 26-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #2228
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking about CMR's is not reflective on how potent it is. I bet a lot of the people who died, were heading that way regardless of the virus. Eg, poor Jude was in palliative care for months, then dies testing positive for covid 19. Anyone who dies right now, and tests positive, will have their death wholly attributed to covid 19, and that's simply not the case
Old 26-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #2229
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Talking about CMR's is not reflective on how potent it is. I bet a lot of the people who died, were heading that way regardless of the virus. Eg, poor Jude was in palliative care for months, then dies testing positive for covid 19. Anyone who dies right now, and tests positive, will have their death wholly attributed to covid 19, and that's simply not the case
Not true. Underlying health issues are being counted as part of the statistical analysis but it doesn't matter if they were 'heading that way' - if the virus is the cause of their premature death, then it's a valid count.

You do realise we're all 'heading that way' don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping
You realise you are betting a depression on eradication, something you admit is unlikely.

A depression is going to have an even greater impact on mortality rates but wont be seen till until 50-90 years down the track.
I guess that depends on how long you think it will take to reach the 28 day zero new case mark. I would have said it should be less than 6 months to achieve that but then you get cluster outbreaks like the NSW nursing home that then screws with the stats.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 26-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #2230
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Speaking of which.

Australia recorded 20 new cases yesterday (12 in NSW), 1 new death and the CMR rises to 1.1954%. From what we saw on the media reports last night, the locals aren't learning much about isolation and social distancing. I'm going to start graphing the States but I can already tell you that NSW has the worst looking curve.

NZ recorded 5 new cases, 1 death and the CMR rises to 1.232% (*passing Australia).

The UK was under 5,000 new cases but still over 800 deaths and the CMR rose to 13.694%.

The US had another almost 39,000 cases but less than 2,000 deaths but the CMR still increased to 5.663%.

Elsewhere, Russia, which had been doing really well, recorded almost 6,000 new cases.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #2231
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
I would have said it should be less than 6 months to achieve that but then you get cluster outbreaks like the NSW nursing home that then screws with the stats.
Therein lies a related problem, care workers are often “casuals” and not tethered to a particular facility or group of patients. I further maintain genuine suspicion that some who provide home care could be doing the Uber thing and loaning their credentials to friends or family.

Ironing out these two items would be a good start, but I’ve seen personally only one spot check on home care in four years (and ironically, it was on a bloke whose blood should be bottled).
Old 26-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #2232
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Completely agree, if someone is terminal or managing a very poor health situation then while Covid may be the final contributor that results in their passing, it has hardly the root cause of their death.

Attributing thousands of deaths based on suspicion or instruction as is being exposed by many doctors in the US is also inflating the numbers.
Old 26-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #2233
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not true. Underlying health issues are being counted as part of the statistical analysis but it doesn't matter if they were 'heading that way' - if the virus is the cause of their premature death, then it's a valid count.

You do realise we're all 'heading that way' don't you?.
Was wondering the point of u posting CMR figures?

If someone dies from poor health, and tested positive from covid 19, I guess it helps inflate numbers for a better story?
Old 26-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #2234
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dumb question of the day is how do people who do not know they have the virus or show any symptoms pass the virus on?
Wouldn't the main way to pass it on to be coughing onto other people or your hands and touching things others will touch.
If you are not coughing then how are people still spreading it?
Old 26-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #2235
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
My dumb question of the day is how do people who do not know they have the virus or show any symptoms pass the virus on?
Wouldn't the main way to pass it on to be coughing onto other people or your hands and touching things others will touch.
The best example of asymptomatic transmission I can think of is the choir from the church in the US. Although nobody had symptoms and they all observed some degree of reduced contact eg not shaking hands, after choir practice 45 of the 60 members contracted the virus
Old 26-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #2236
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
asymptomatic people is one of the main reasons for social distancing. That is why restrictions won't be eased straight away as its likely there are still many people with the virus who are unaware.

Every time you touch your nose or mouth and then touch something else there is the potential to transfer the virus.

sneezing and coughing are natural body reactions to foreign particles in the nose or throat. People sneeze and cough all the time.
Old 26-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #2237
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

8 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #2238
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Completely agree, if someone is terminal or managing a very poor health situation then while Covid may be the final contributor that results in their passing, it has hardly the root cause of their death.

Attributing thousands of deaths based on suspicion or instruction as is being exposed by many doctors in the US is also inflating the numbers.
If we follow your (flawed) logic then the actual root cause of death is being born.

You are talking about two entirely different things. Terminal illnesses will (in Australia at least) be recorded as a cause of death even where Coronavirus is present based on the guidelines issued to health practitioners.

However, we aren't talking about people with terminal illness, we are talking about those who have some underlying medical condition that makes them more likely to die from the virus if they contract it.

Those underlying medical conditions include asthma (11% of the population); cardiovascular disease (18.3% of the population) and CRD (23.2% - although that includes some of the asthma patients) all of which people can (and do) live with for decades.

If they then contract the virus and die earlier than they otherwise would have then the virus is the cause of death not their pre-existing condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit
If someone dies from poor health, and tested positive from covid 19, I guess it helps inflate numbers for a better story?
As above.

Based on earlier comments about thinning out the weak from the herd (which I don't endorse), perhaps we should just euthanise anyone with an underlying medical condition that might increase their chance of dying if they contract Coronavirus so that we can improve the statistics. By the best estimates I can get that would be roughly:

7.4M who have a diagnosed CRD;
1.5M living with cancers;
4.2M with Cardiovascular diseases: and
4.2M who are immunocompromised.

Some of the cancer patients will be in the immunocompromised group but certainly not all as there are other reasons for that condition.

Let's round it out an even 15M (which will include children) or a nice round 60% of the population.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 26-04-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 26-04-2020, 01:20 PM   #2239
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

As mentioned earlier, I've had a look at the Australian State by State data and while the longer term view is not dissimilar to the overall pattern for Australia, the shorter terms has quite a bit of variation.

The first two charts are new cases reported by State for the last 14 days (divided into the 2 larger and four smaller States excluding ACT / NT where there aren't enough cases to draw a pattern.

Finally the 2nd order trend lines for the larger States - this time these have been extrapolated for the next 3 days based on the current trend but as a modelling tool that's not a whole lot of use except as a rough indicator of which way it will head based on the past trend.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 26-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #2240
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
If we follow your (flawed) logic then the actual root cause of death is being born.

You are talking about two entirely different things. Terminal illnesses will (in Australia at least) be recorded as a cause of death even where Coronavirus is present based on the guidelines issued to health practitioners.

However, we aren't talking about people with terminal illness, we are talking about those who have some underlying medical condition that makes them more likely to die from the virus if they contract it.

Those underlying medical conditions include asthma (11% of the population); cardiovascular disease (18.3% of the population) and CRD (23.2% - although that includes some of the asthma patients) all of which people can (and do) live with for decades.
As I said in a terminal or very poor health situation, I’m happy to be criticised but comparing that to being born, unless born with a life threatening condition is beyond a stretch.

I’m not suggesting we return to situation normal or do nothing to prevent the spread, but in my opinion (I understand you don’t agree here, that’s ok) we need to start relax some restrictions as I’ve posed before to return to some normality for the majority of the population.

Those who are diagnosed with those conditions that put them in the vulnerable arena should continue to isolate and take precautions inline with current policy.

We could take this isolation and shut borders method with the seasonal flu (I’m not saying Covid 19 is the flu) and likely safe hundreds of vulnerable people’s lives, but we balance it out like many other risks in life and balance it off lifestyle and freedoms.

I respect where your coming from Russ, life is precious and these are difficult things to balance, I don’t envy our PM or any world leader in this situation as the review of how this was handled will never be fair to the weight of the decisions made at the time.
Old 26-04-2020, 02:12 PM   #2241
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://vitalitymagazine.com/article...aviolet-light/

Trumps uncle, John, was an accomplished scientist. He was also close to Nikola Tesla.
Old 26-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #2242
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

Trumps uncle, John, was an accomplished scientist. He was also close to Nikola Tesla.
After that presser the other day I thought to myself "This is it, this is the moment that his followers finally see that he is a complete moron"

But no.... That hasn't happened.....
Old 26-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #2243
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Alright for Donald!... He tested negative!

https://youtu.be/ZkffnHnaPAU
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 26-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #2244
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
[YT]d5QRXSbugU8[/YT

I'm not seeing how that makes trump smart.

My Uncle was an excellent carpenter, all I can do with wood is burn it.
Old 26-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #2245
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

sneezing and coughing are natural body reactions to foreign particles in the nose or throat. People sneeze and cough all the time.

Yeah, it’s a great time to be a hay fever sufferer haha, I get looked at like I’m a leper when I have a sneezing fit.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #2246
nstg8a

Quote:
Let's round it out an even 15M (which will include children) or a nice round 60% of the population.
Would save everyone having to social distance I guess....
Old 26-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #2247
superyob
Banned

Quote:

If they then contract the virus and die earlier than they otherwise would have then the virus is the cause of death not their pre-existing condition.

As above.

Based on earlier comments about thinning out the weak from the herd (which I don't endorse), perhaps we should just euthanise anyone with an underlying medical condition that might increase their chance of dying if they contract Coronavirus so that we can improve the statistics. By the best estimates I can get that would be roughly:

7.4M who have a diagnosed CRD;
1.5M living with cancers;
4.2M with Cardiovascular diseases: and
4.2M who are immunocompromised.

Some of the cancer patients will be in the immunocompromised group but certainly not all as there are other reasons for that condition.

So if someone has a serious but non fatal gunshot wound which gets a toxic infection and that person dies, what is the cause of death???
Old 26-04-2020, 04:37 PM   #2248
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
After that presser the other day I thought to myself "This is it, this is the moment that his followers finally see that he is a complete moron"

But no.... That hasn't happened.....
Nope, Trump supporters understand exactly where the US and the World would be at if Hillary had one 2016. At war with just about every country, economies destroyed and so on.

I do recognise your inability to see this however, TDS is debilitating for some. Only 8 plus years to go before the Demoncrats have a snowball chance of hell getting back in power.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #2249
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
So if someone has a serious but non fatal gunshot wound which gets a toxic infection and that person dies, what is the cause of death???
Doesn’t that vary by jurisdiction? I think it’s got to happen within a year in NSW.
Old 26-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #2250
superyob
Banned

So would it be the infection that caused death in NSW???
Closed Thread