Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #31
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

Snelens, I purchased one of the Hyundai I load vans at the beginning of the year and have been very pleased so far.
Turbo diesel has plenty of grunt. I regularly tow a trailer filled with all the usual tradie tools and sometimes use the trailer to cart sand and the turbo engine handles this with aplomb.

Driving the van is a revelation as well. Compared to my old '99 Hiace, this van drives smoothly and handles well. It does not suffer from the jittery ride associated with torsion bar style front suspension either as these are fitted with a strut type hence the better ride.
Do yourself a favour,drive one.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #32
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snelens
Thanks Dr Smith. I concur. I am hardly ever doing tool work so am happy in the ute. I am over the flash ute stage (have had 3 x XR's) and now love my pov pack colum shift egas. The boys will be happy in new transits but I will do a $ analysis next week.
Also there's one thing I've learnt when buying commercial vehicles over private cars, the comm. salesman expect you to visit them 3-4 times before you buy as they know you're normally comparing very specific requirements.

In your case I'd guess you might have internal shelving/racking so do you need to transfer it over or start new again. At least the Transits have very big cargo volume that matches some of the big euro's like MB Sprinter etc..

Also is vehicle height an issue for carparks etc? One reason I chose the T5 was the lower height (1.95m) in long wheel base which allowed CBD carpark access. Unfortunately at the time to have the same or greater wheelbase in the Ford meant a mid-roof and so over 2.2m clearance (iirc).

Is your current Vito an extra long wheel base because if this not big enough then nothing below Transit/Sprinter/Crafter/Fiat size will offer more. You obviously also have the cab-chassis versions of these same vans before you then get into the more conventional cab-over 3 tonners with box like you see at the hire companies.

I remember taking my old van and parking it next to the potential replacement with measuring tape out and doing comparisons in the yard. Much more easy to compare over spec sheets and what might seem a big/small difference using the calculator becomes more obvious when both are in front of you.

For safety I'd always go the semi-bonneted vans with at least 2 airbags and esp if possible, finances permitting.

At least the shopping is more fun than sox/jocks for father's day, lol.

EDIT: One reason Aust Post didn't stick with Transits when replacing their fleet was for the tender requirement of auto transmissions which the new Transit couldn't offer. Sadly it isn't an option even in Europe. I believe one Ford dealer even considered making this conversion themselves but costs became prohibitive and hence the rest is MB Sprinter history. However there are 150kw tdi and awd versions so Ford Oz pull your fingers out.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 30-08-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #33
Snelens
tryhard

Thanks Russ but the I load is the same size as our MB Vito, which is a tad too small.
The height of the SWB Transit is an issue but I will be keeping a ute with service body for CBD jobs.
Dr Phil, the shopping is the best part. Not the salesman part (commercial guys seem pretty cool) but the decision making of "what will suit us best?".
Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #34
BWald
Starter Motor

I am an electrician and on my 4th transit, an 08 MWB 6 speed diesel. Its an absolute superb engine and goes like a rocket, considering I am close to 3 tonne all up, and I regularly tow 2.3 tonne behind it. However, it is making me nervous to consider running outside of warranty. Anyone who works on it, services it or just generally talks about it, have no nice words to say. I am about to give an Iload a go because I am sick of trying to get in driveways or carparks with such a big van and had a gut full of getting ladders of the high roof. Just going to take my time setting up new Iload and try and utise the 2nd sliding door to its max.
BWald is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #35
Snelens
tryhard

I have decided to go another Vito.
My other Vito has only had rear shocks replaced, tyres & brakes in 5 years.
The transits are too high, the i loads are too small, the toyotas are just over priced crap, the transporters I dont know about but fwd and the large turning circle worries me so its the Vito again.
Why an I load when you can get a 2 year old Vito for the same price and they are so much better? There are some bargain 1-2 year old Vitos out there.
Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post