Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-07-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
BlackLS

Default Another Focus buyer!

Hi Guys,

Just ordered my Focus LX hatch manual in Black Sapphire with thanks to RATT.

I mainly wanted it as I wanted something that was pretty stylish, good on petrol, could handle and something that is unique. Preferably a Ford.

I was tossing up between:
mazda 3
LR focus optioned up
n15 pulsar hatch sss with a DET conversion and worked
ba falcon XT
new astra
fiesta
corolla

I didnt really concider the latest corolla, something about the front and its shape I don't like...

Astra - The new Astra I liked, they really look the part. But they are becoming very common on the roads and I want to be different. I have also been told that the Focus has it on top of the Astra performance wise.

N15 Pulsar SSS DET- I have a soft spot for these cars, love the shape of them. I know they are a bit common, but that wouldnt stop me buying one and using the left over money to modd it to the max. Thing is that the SSS is classified by insurance companies as a "sport" car and charge accordingly. Being only 18, this makes it a tad expensive for me. If I did go down the turbo route of the SR20DET by by any chance of getting insurance until I'm at least 21...

BA Falcon XT - Way too common, eats petrol, it has handsome yet boring looks, but great performance.

LR Focus - Wanted something more newer and "fresh". New Focus promises marginally better fuel economy and more power as well.

Fiesta - Girls car...joking :
I was really impressed by this car and suprising roominess and performance. I would recommend it to anyone in the market for a small car.

Mazda 3 - Basically the same as the focus in terms of performance, great looks... I still wanted a Ford tho...

Winner - Focus LS - Fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

NICE! Congrats! Did you get any options?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Amazing the sheer volume of new Focus buyers!! Congratulations - looks like I might have to start selling shares in the club to get rich!!! Tim, where's our chequebook?
Old 28-07-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
Forest Bear

Would you mind sharing the delivery estimate the dealer gave you if any? I done the deal at Binks Ford Foostcray (Vic) on July 19th and so far they can't even give me a delivery time. I bought a silver Zetec hatch auto. It's probably a sheet of metal coming out the mill for all I know.

The rego and insurance is due in September on my trade-in 2001 Astra. It's got 3 thousand ks until it's 60k service. I'm not going to pay for any of it since its a done deal. I'll just dump it on their door step the day the rego expires.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 01:44 AM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Nice choice. The Mazda3 SP23 Hatch with Leather and BOSE pack is about the only vehicle good enough to tempt me away from the Blue Oval.

I love my LR though. Not quite how i want it.............yet. But it'll get there.
Old 28-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Well done Argon, they are a beautiful piece of machinery. I'm excited, and get some photos up when you get your hands on her (if you ever come home from driving that is).

Also, I notice you're a Sydney sider, if you enjoy coming on cruises, we have the Eurofordclub. If you're going to the All Ford Day on Sunday, you'll see us there too!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #7
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
NICE! Congrats! Did you get any options?

No, everything stock, but looking for aftermarket susp and rims once the stokkies are worn. Also looking at a slightly deeper sounding exhaust, not loud. Scuff plates, mats etc ill get when i'm ready from the dealer.

Forest Bear, i was told i should have it mid august

back2thefutura, yes, they are a georgous car.

and Timmeh, I love my cruises, so much so i'm organising one... http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=15433 ...Thanks for the invite!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Forest Bear, i was told i should have it mid august
Fingers crossed that ours are both on the same boat! I've been told August too. Got an update from my dealer today - "The status has changed, but no ETA yet".

By which I assumed it was something like:

Gone from "Sitting in a paddock in South Africa"

to "Being loaded onto ship"

or similar. I know I picked an "uncommon" configuration (Automatic CL sedan w/ safety pack), but it seems bizarre to me that even though I've ordered and paid a deposit, my dealer wasn't able to get me an allocation for 2-3 weeks! Surely if there is an actual order made, they would build it and ship it out for me, rather than continuing to pump out cars seemingly at random, causing dealers to fight over them....
losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

They allocate monthly so depending on when you order, depends on how long to go until your next allocation. In between they try to secure extra stock from the buffer.... but there ain't no buffer no mo... too popular
Old 01-08-2005, 06:47 PM   #10
streetsweet

Hey guys,

Test drove a CL sedan over the weekend and was very very impressed. Great transmission ( manual ) and a hard revving little engine. Am yet to test drive the Fiesta...has anyone done a direct comparison?

The Fiesta gets a 74kw engine with 146Nm torque and weighs 1038kg ( Zetec )
The focus CL gets 107kw with 185Nm torque and weighs 1283
Old 01-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You'll notice it feels VERY much like a small Focus, really uncanny. Not quite as refined and rides a little worse, but all round a brilliant little car. Definitely worth the drive. Either way, each car is pretty much the best in their calss, Fiesta easily so.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #12
noshe83
Starter Motor

Well after singing up for my car on June 22nd I finally get my Ford Focus LX Sedan TOMORROW! I annoyed the hell out of the dealer and after constant nagging they got me one at last! Its been hellava wait and I hope it worth it. Never bought a car without test driving it! Hmm..I dont think I am going to sleep tonight!

If you ordered a car in mid July expect a months wait I guess. They should start to become more availavlbe now! Will post pics ASAP!

Hehe....I am sooooo bloody exited!!!
noshe83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 10:06 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Damn we're going to have to increase the server space to cope with all these new Focus owners!!!!! SWEET!!

I assure you you'll love the drive of the new Focus. They've received great reviews from every media source and I'm yet to hear a genuinely bad review... a sign of a good car I guess!!! Congrats!!
Old 02-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Where are most of these new focus owners located?!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshe83
Well after singing up for my car on June 22nd I finally get my Ford Focus LX Sedan TOMORROW!
Well? Did'ya get it?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Had the chance to pilot an Auto CL sedan around today, had just come off the delivery truck so I took it for its delivery check drive.

What can I say - fantastic. My only real complaint about the car (and its more just me being picky) is that the passenger side of the dash looks and feels like a big useless lump of plastic, which I guess it is but it sort of looks a little larger than it should be. But as I said, thats just me whinging and the interior is still better than the LR one. (that said, the LR one suits me just fine too, it's by no means worst dash in the world)

Saw Jeans Blue in the flesh today too on an LX hatch and its a VERY classy looking colour. A little darker than it looks in the brochure and if I was choosing a new Focus I would most definately pick Jeans Blue as the colour - bewdyful.

So anyone who has one of these on the way will be very impressed.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:20 AM   #17
noshe83
Starter Motor

I got it! I got my New Ford Focus LX! At last! Already done 302 Km's! I love it! Will have pics tomorow! It was worth the wait guys!!!

Naush
noshe83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #18
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Awesome, noshe83! Can't wait to see photos of your new toy

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 04:22 PM   #19
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshe83
I got it! I got my New Ford Focus LX! At last! Already done 302 Km's! I love it! Will have pics tomorow! It was worth the wait guys!!!
Lucky sod! Congrats!

I emailed my dealer today to get an update, but they still can't give me an ETA (Ordered 9th July). Very frustrating.... All I have to go on is "August".
Old 05-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

LOSFP...

That is a disgrace.

The dealer should have a fair idea when its suposed to land in the country...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
LOSFP...

That is a disgrace.

The dealer should have a fair idea when its suposed to land in the country...
Far out do you ever stop whinging about stuff like that?

Understand that the dealers are in the same boat as you are, if they dont have the information, they cant tell you.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #22
matt99999999999

LOSFP
I ordered mine 5th July my dealer told me i still have a couple of weeks to wait.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:30 PM   #23
Fuss

Default Given A Focus CL

Hey guys, I am going to admit to being a newbie for the Focus. I have just inherited a brand new CL Focus 1.8 Sedan. Unfortunate circumstances leading to owning it but it is here now. It has now got 1230k's on the clock and would like to know what you would suggest in terms of tyres/wheels and any perfomormance improvments. I have to say that after moving from the EL wagon to this I am impressed with the handling and even the power (god forbid I should say that about the CL 1.8) that this little beast has.

Oh yeah, it is Deep Russo Red (the burgundy colour) but still looks cool.
:
Looking forward regular visits.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura

Understand that the dealers are in the same boat as you are, if they dont have the information, they cant tell you.
Me whinging... Whatever you think.

My dealer knew when my car would be arriving a long time before we got it..

They dealer should be atleast able to hand over a sido number and have a fair idea when the vehicle will be docked... And dont tell me I dont know nothing because I probarly know more then you (having a dealer background which you seem to make out you have all the time, parts boy). :

If they cannot give you atleast a Sido number tell them to stick it as you'll never know when you might receive it.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
And dont tell me I dont know nothing because I probarly know more then you (having a dealer background which you seem to make out you have all the time, parts boy). :
I won't tell you you know nothing. I'll tell you you're a whinging PITA that thinks he knows everything.
There are things I know about dealers you don't and vice versa. Frankly I dont care what you do or do not know, but coming on here and shooting your mouth off because the dealer cant tell you when the car is coming doesnt make it arrive any quicker. It just makes you look like an impatient idiot who cant handle delay.

As for me "making out" that I have a dealer background, Yup i worked in parts, i know a lot of people in dealerships, i know my way round one and i know a bit about how they work. Forgive me if I try to help people out by sharing what I know. :
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 06-08-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:27 PM   #27
buickman
buickman

Good choice. The new Focus's styling especially the sedan & simularties with the Mazda3 has given it good write ups in the motoring mags. Plus Ford has priced them well this time round in their class division.should be a winner for them.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #28
losfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura

I'm going to assume this applies at least partially to me too, as I've been guilty of wondering aloud in this forum just when my Focus is getting here. I'd like to explain myself a little better if I may.

Here's the brief timeline:

- Sat 9th July, order the car.
- Mon 11th July, was told that I have an allocation, but not ETA.
- Mon 18th July, was told that they were having trouble finding me a car, may be Sept/Oct before I get it.
- Tues 19th July, was told that they have finally found me a car, which should arrive "in August"
- Mon 1st Aug, was told that the "status has changed", but still no ETA.
- Fri 5th Aug, still no ETA

Now, the reason why it might look like I'm a whinging bastard ;) is:

1) I don't really know a lot about cars, so I don't tend to post about other topics other than the new focus.
2) I'm in here trying to work out if others are in the same boat, or what to expect.
3) I've never bought a new car before, therefore the whole allocation / shipping process is completely new and mystifying to me

Which is why I hunt down any posts talking about people receiving their new cars and post in them to see if I'm getting the rough end of the stick, or whether we're all in the same situation.

Communication is the key here, I've learnt that people can usually handle a bit of bad news as long as you explain everything and keep them in the loop. To their credit, my dealer has been pretty good at emailing me every few days (even it's to say "nothing has changed"), but I still struggle to understand why no one can tell me where my car is, and when it's arriving. Obviously there's been a breakdown in communication somewhere there.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:24 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah Losfp hes talking about me...

Dont worry about it. Just try and get a SIDO number for your car then ring 13FORD and ask them...

The dealer can get a rough idea on when it should arrive providing they aren't telling you stories...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:27 AM   #30
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Nah Losfp hes talking about me...

Dont worry about it. Just try and get a SIDO number for your car then ring 13FORD and ask them...

The dealer can get a rough idea on when it should arrive providing they aren't telling you stories...
Yeah because CRC then call me and I find out for them if possible. I assure you guys though that the Dealers quite often have nothing more to go by than "August", as there is no ETA given from the shipping company until it is actually on board a vessel, which is out of our control. We order the cars to arrive and then once the vehicle is placed upon a vessel, within a few days we have a rough ETA for when it will dock, then allowing time to clear customs, when it might arrive in the Dealership.

I believe those getting "August" MAY know more within the next few days if there has been another vessel that has just left Durban with their vehicle on board, but keep at it with your Dealer and they'll be certain to let you know as soon as they possibly can. They hate not having info for you as much as you hate not hearing updates I can assure you!!!