Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dealers

Not that I do this very often :hihi: but I'm going to have a whinge. My gripe is this.

I visited my dealer recently for an evaluation on my car. To cut a long story short, I got told that my car is worth mid to high teens. In the words of the salesman "The car is not worth much because it's just an AU XR6" I found this an interesting quote for my 3 year old falcon. Considering when I bought the car from the same yard, I had the big pitch about the VCT, IRS, leather, sunroof, Premium brakes, Premium Sound and the fact it was a ford exec vehicle. That couldn't speak highly enough of the car when they were trying to flog it. Tickford engineering, now that’s something special. Now I'm considering trading it, I get "Its just an AU XR6" Do they not care about tickford like they did when I was buying the car.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, I've heard they are one of the worst yards for trade in prices in Canberra. The other dealer is better.

I know trading, you get bugger all, but basically telling a customer that their car is a box, is not the way to win a future sale.

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate that’s it’s a used car with low kays and its not a BA, but maybe give me a little more that what I can get a forte for. I do actually take pride in my car and care for it.

Home of the good deal. Bwhahahaha.

For the record, I was just after an evaluation. The box will be staying put.

Has anyone had experiences like that before. Dealers suck

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Unfortunately Bucky you've come across what EVERY AU owner gets slugged with at times like that. No matter how good it may be, a dealer will still only pay what its worth to them, and add their premium on top of it.

As for the sales pitch - well, there's a reason car salesman suffer from a cliche.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I guess thats the reputation the AU has got. Its definately a buyers market these days with the high number of used cars hitting the market over the last couple of years. I agree that dealers can be pricks sometimes though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its true. But if a S2 forte is selling for $14,000, no options, would you take $17,000 for your AU 3 XR?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Trade in prices are lower than ever before, but remember that newer prices are also lower than ever before. I think the only true way for an enthusiast to part with their pride and joy is to endure selling privately. Sorry to hear your story, please remember there are good Dealers out there doing awesome things and there are also good Dealers in a bad position with trade in prices no matter how nice they want to be.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Its true. But if a S2 forte is selling for $14,000, no options, would you take $17,000 for your AU 3 XR?
No, I'd bring it over here. Tradein prices seem to be higher than the city areas here. If you were really serious about it (which i know you're not), I'd take it back to stock - take all your AWC gear off it, swap the wheels back, and sell that stuff on here or somewhere else. It doesnt affect your tradein value in a good way unfortunately.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Their moto is "Home of The Good Deal" I think thats kind of ironic.

Anyway, was just after an appraisel. I got it, now I'm cranky so now the car goes back into the garage until it dies. Or I die. What ever comes first
Old 08-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A salesman is a salesman is a salesman. Thats his job,make you pay as much as he can and still make you go away happy and give you as little as he can and still make you go away happy. If you had a BA I think he would still find things to say that would devalue your car. Fact is most people who go to trade at a dealer still go away thinking they've screwed the dealer when in actual fact it is the other way round which makes us keep going back. Do we REALLY believe there is such a thing as screwing the dealer?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geeze I wish we could screw the dealer. When i was looking at cars, he started to talk up the GT they had in stock. I can only imagine what they said to him. "Nah mate, its just a series 1 GT. Now if it was a GTP, then you would get more, sorry but the best we can do is X $'s"
Old 08-08-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
XHII V8S

Sorry to hear the story,

I can agree that there are some dealers out there that are trying to do the right thing, but most are pricks. I bought my ute two months ago, told it was fully serviced etc. I took it home, pulled it apart, dirty aircleaner; the engine took one litre of oil; brown coolant. Two weeks later my horn died, and now the clasp on the passengers side seat belt is so loose it would let go in an accident. After having the cooling system flushed I was told that for the age of the car it was disgusting, taking more than 10 minutes to flush all the gunk out, and that it would have to come back again for another flush. I was going to go back to the dealer to have the horn fixed, but after seeing how dodgy it is, I'm not going to bother. I know its a used car but geez what a *****. The icing on the cake though is that I had the car valued at $16000 and i only paid 14000 for it!
-Pioneer HU
XHII V8S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I hear ya Bucky. The salesman sells you on a dream, telling you how awesome it is and whatnot. Then, when it comes to service time and you want to make sure they look after it right they tell you "It's just a car mate". "Just a car". That's pretty insulting when esepcially with your car they can see your very proud of your car and give it the best of everything. Lowball trade-in offers aside, picking on your car like that is not going to get anyone a sale.

Your primary dealer you've done business with before should look after you. If they can't give you the price you want they should at least be nice about it.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #12
oldracer

I hear ya as well Bucky and dealers are dealers and they all suck but Ford dealers suck more than most, these three vehicles below were all bought from the one dealer in Geelong and I traded my series 1 XR8 in for a Magna VRX for $1800 more than the Ford dealer would give me and my inlaws traded their AU's in for Camrys because of the same reason. In my case I was after a trade for a V8 Fairlane Ghia when my XR was at about 60K's and the used car manager wouldn't even get back to me because he knew I would be pi..ed with his insult that was a trade value. Time passed and I went to Mitsubishi and I am very happy with my treatment and product.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It becomes a frustrating exercise.

I remember when we traded my dads 97 futura in 2002 with 55,000 on the clock for a new SR wagon. The other dealer straight up gave us $15,000 trade. The futura was stock and was in poor condition. Stained seats, the steering wheel was flaking, cracked centre console and a few other things wrong with it. I figure $15,000 was a good trade on a 5 year old falcon that never saw a sponge or polish. But on a 3 year old XR, 2 thou more !!!! Anyway, having to play ball with dealers is a painful exercise. But what can ya do. They are the ones with the really cool cars.

Anyway thanx for your replies. I just had to get it off my chest.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Geeze I wish we could screw the dealer. When i was looking at cars, he started to talk up the GT they had in stock. I can only imagine what they said to him. "Nah mate, its just a series 1 GT. Now if it was a GTP, then you would get more, sorry but the best we can do is X $'s"
You should've said that. I've worked at Ford dealers and seen some people pull some awesome type deals when they take control of the situation. At the end of the day it's you paying for the car. Be reasonable, and every cent or option you can screw them for on a deal, go for it. Don't be shy, and don't fall "the best we can do B/S". Go to a few dealers and play them off one another. Yes, they do talk to each other, but someone will go that one better to get the deal you want. You don't have to pretend your their best mate either, a common trap that we all fall for. Once your in their comfort zone, your easy pickings. Your paying for it, your in control and don't worry about what they might think of you. It's a shop selling you goods. They're not there to do you favours cause your a great bloke. Once you do the deal, most couldn't give a rats what you think.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your right. When I bought the focus I said straight out the price I wanted to pay based on a quote from elsewhere, what colour and what inclusions. In the end they agreed and everything went smoothly and never had a problem. The saleman even asks me how the car is going and whether theres any problem each time I pop in to the service department.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 PM   #16
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The AUI XR8 with body kit & 17's I purchased recently set me back less than 12 grand. It is in excellent condition with no dents or damage inside & out & has done 120000 km.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #17
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother went through this charade with dealers a couple of years back.

After insulting his intelligence with a ridiculous trade in offer on his pristine EL XR8 my brother then sold his car for $3000 more privately, then organised his finance for the balance of the cost of the new one he wanted.
He went back to the dealer with cash in his pocket and they almost fell over themselves trying to sign him up.
Because he had been dicked around before he then went to a 2nd dealer to see if they could better, then a 3rd as well.
After the 3 dealers finished trying to cut each others throats to get the sale ( it was close to the end of the financial year as well) he ended up getting most of his accessories and his rego paid for as well !
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #18
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
an enthusiast to part with their pride and joy is to endure selling privately.

Will agree in selling privately for the best price

Sorry to hear your story, please remember there are good Dealers out there doing awesome things and there are also good Dealers in a bad position with trade in prices no matter how nice they want to be.
I reckon if you got a trade in price for your Zetec for the lastest model Zetec at a Ford dealer the insult on what they would offer you would send you into shock.

ghiaman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I reckon if you got a trade in price for your Zetec for the lastest model Zetec at a Ford dealer the insult on what they would offer you would send you into shock.

ghiaman
Most likely yes. I plan on doing it soon too - like Bucky, Im just curious. I have no intention of moving up..............yet.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #20
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Anyway, was just after an appraisel. I got it, now I'm cranky so now the car goes back into the garage until it dies. Or I die. What ever comes first
That's the spirit Bucky! I'd rather run the AU into the ground then get screwed up the blurter with resale.

Yes folks, keep the AU jokes coming. :
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #21
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Its not just the AU's though. It is a Ford thing

Early 03 BAGT 38k on the odo to trade to a MKII GT maybe a P... 33k after the intial offer of 29k nearly lead to fistycuffs... the owner is the CEO of a large company and wasn't impressed.. He was told to sell it privately... He now drives a Lexus..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #22
K1W1 Dave
Still alive & kicking

[QUOTE=Racecraft]Its not just the AU's though. It is a Ford thing

As advertised here on tv
BA falcons 05 base models selling for $12000
What are our cars goin to be worth in a few more years ?.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:52 AM   #23
B.J(inCanb)

Bucknaked I went to the same dealership 2 years ago to trade the AU in on my GT-P, the AU is still in the driveway and they didn't get the sale. Purchased the GT-P in Sydney and I drive past the dealership and wave.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #24
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Yeah I got screwed by a dealer on my ED Fairmont way back.

Purchased for 16k within a year sold for 8k(to the same place). I just couldn't get any better at the time and the car did have reasonable good mileage on it.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Home of the good deal.
Lol northside or southside :p
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:22 AM   #26
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
Yes, they do talk to each other, but someone will go that one better to get the deal you want.
Which dealers talk to each other? Most cut each others throats to get the deal rather than tell each other what they are doing.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #27
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

At the dealerships I've worked at, they knew within a few hours if somebody had been to the other dealers comparing quotes. I have known salesman who used to ring the other dealerships.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post