Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
foret900

Default Must provide RWC to buyer to sell a car? VIC

Not sure if things had been changed. When I looked on market last year to buy mine, I still saw many private cars without RWC. But when I am tring sell my old one today, I realized I must provide RWC?

foret900 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Must provide RWC to buyer to sell a car? VIC

From what I understand if it's registered you need one, if it's unregistered you don't.

A quick phone call to Vic Roads would tell you for sure.
Old 30-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

you can hand the plates in to vicroads and sell it without a rwc, it has been this way for quite a long time, although many do things incorrectly

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
hardlynormal

yeah, some people will sell the car under the impression that the buyer will get a RWC within 30 days and transfer the car.
normally with cars that are going to fail a RWC and cost the original owner a packet.
Old 30-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep if it's sold registered you need a rwc to transfer rego. If you sell unreg then no need to do a transfer and hence no rwc. New owner would then have to get their own rwc to get it registered.

Like hardlynormal said, many sellers still sell with reg but without rwc assuming the buyer will pay for and organise the roady so the reg can be transferred. Bit of a risky practice if you ask me, for both parties involved.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Powdered Toast Man. Genuine question, can you explain why its risky? I've sold my last two cars with rego and no RWC. I've been doing the rego transfer papers and taking a photo of the buyers licence. So if they drive it all over the place and get fines etc I can prove I wasn't driving. What risk am I exposing myself to?
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
foret900

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Powdered Toast Man. Genuine question, can you explain why its risky? I've sold my last two cars with rego and no RWC. I've been doing the rego transfer papers and taking a photo of the buyers licence. So if they drive it all over the place and get fines etc I can prove I wasn't driving. What risk am I exposing myself to?
Cool. One question, how do you fill the RWC section in the transfer form? There's a "No" option but it reads not a valid option. Thanks.
foret900 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Bought and sold heaps with rego and no RWC .......

A car needs to be transferred to another persons name with a current RWC and transfer form. Who gets the RWC, buyer or seller is not stipulated.

Only once I copped parking fines from the previous buyer (only 6 months ago) ....... was sorted out in 2.5 seconds on the phone stating when the transfer was signed and received a letter saying that the fines were withdrawn after they checked with Vic Roads.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better question is why would someone buy a registered car without RWC - there is no such option in VICROADS transfer form - i ve always provided RWC with every car i ve sold .
I have noticed that quite a few people advertise registered cars without RWC with excuses like lack of time to get one even if it is obvious that some mods on their cars might be questionable.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 30-01-2012 at 11:03 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Bought and sold heaps with rego and no RWC .......

A car needs to be transferred to another persons name with a current RWC and transfer form. Who gets the RWC, buyer or seller is not stipulated.

Only once I copped parking fines from the previous buyer (only 6 months ago) ....... was sorted out in 2.5 seconds on the phone stating when the transfer was signed and received a letter saying that the fines were withdrawn after they checked with Vic Roads.

You obviosly havent read Vicroads transfer form as it clearly states that seller provides RWC when selling registered car.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...erform0911.pdf

Last edited by SumoDog68; 30-01-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 30-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
z80
Banned

I sold a car with no RWC once.

The buyer wanted to haggle and said he would get his own RWC (windscreen,tyres etc)

So I ticked the box that said i provided him with an RWC and actually did no such thing.

It was his problem, I would just say he lost it....not my problem, he signed notice of acquisition and i got a copy.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
You obviosly havent read Vicroads transfer form as it clearly states that seller provides RWC when selling registered car.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...erform0911.pdf
Yes it does say that the seller provides the RWC. ..... but for the purpose of a vehicle transfer ....... the buyer only needs to hand over a RWC with the transfer at VR. Who gets the RWC does not matter to VR .... it is not a dodgy way to do things ..... quite a legitimate (actually illegal? Don't know but have discussed it at VR and they literally do not care as long as all the paperwork is legit. There is no way of getting a transfer without the RWC.
Quote:
Better question is why would someone buy a registered car without RWC - there is no such option in VICROADS transfer form - i ve always provided RWC with every car i ve sold .
I have noticed that quite a few people advertise registered cars without RWC with excuses like lack of time to get one even if it is obvious that some mods on their cars might be questionable.
Because it is an option for a better negotiation on price. I have bought $800 cars registered. Saves the hassle of re registration and I would not have bought the car with a RWC or un registered and the seller would not have sold it with a RWC for various reasons.

Each to their own ...... if you don't want to do it for what ever reason ..... don't. Easy.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes it does say that the seller provides the RWC. ..... but for the purpose of a vehicle transfer ....... the buyer only needs to hand over a RWC with the transfer at VR. Who gets the RWC does not matter to VR .... it is not a dodgy way to do things ..... quite a legitimate (actually illegal? Don't know but have discussed it at VR and they literally do not care as long as all the paperwork is legit. There is no way of getting a transfer without the RWC.

Because it is an option for a better negotiation on price. I have bought $800 cars registered. Saves the hassle of re registration and I would not have bought the car with a RWC or un registered and the seller would not have sold it with a RWC for various reasons.

Each to their own ...... if you don't want to do it for what ever reason ..... don't. Easy.

Main reason for seller not to provide RWC on older car is the cost - costs more
then car itself in case of $800 car.
RWC tester would be very careful to issue a certificate on such a car knowing buyer would complain if some items were missed which could endanger his testers license.
In case of buyer doing the RW himself things are different as he is not going to complain to anyone and now we ve got a car that is not roadworthy on the roads.
So it is dodgy practise in my opinion.
Old 31-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
If the buyer and seller agree and are both happy with it, then its a good sale.
I have sold cars and the new buyer was happy to get his own RWC, as stated in an earlier post when you write up the receipt you put the time and date the vehicle taken and any tickets are not my problem.
Its the same thing a LMCT does.

We purchased my sons BA from a seller in the Country we didn't fancy another 3 hour trip back to pick the car up, so we agreed on a reduced price took the car and told the seller we would get the RWC, he was happy he didn't have to do it...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
If the buyer and seller agree and are both happy with it, then its a good sale.
I have sold cars and the new buyer was happy to get his own RWC, as stated in an earlier post when you write up the receipt you put the time and date the vehicle taken and any tickets are not my problem.
Its the same thing a LMCT does.

We purchased my sons BA from a seller in the Country we didn't fancy another 3 hour trip back to pick the car up, so we agreed on a reduced price took the car and told the seller we would get the RWC, he was happy he didn't have to do it...
There is a reason that first question RWC tester asks is are you selling your car or just bought it :-) and i can guarantee it ll cost more if you are selling ..
Old 31-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #16
Kryton

Quote:
There is a reason that first question RWC tester asks is are you selling your car or just bought it :-) and i can guarantee it ll cost more if you are selling ..
Then that tester is dodgey.
Shouldnt matter what your doing with the vehicle - any DECENT tester wouldnt ask.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so that's why most Vic cars are sold without rego.....!!

since NSW has rwc every year, you don't need to get one just to sell the car. the buyer gets the residue of the rego transferred to himself. oh and RWC is a preset price.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once tried to sell a car with a RWC, then the certificate ran out after I didn't sell it in 28 days............ Learn't a lessson there.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #19
z80
Banned

As long as its not a female computer like my nagging GPS.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Maybe risky wasnt the right choice of word, more stressful or annoying if you sell to somebody who doesnt get the roady and is driving it still in your name. Sure you might be able to prove it wasnt you and that you sold it, but you haven't actually completed the legal transfer as you need the rwc info to complete the form.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #21
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

What most people that I know have done when selling a car in VIC with Remaining REG and RWC is the following:

Firstly, take the car down to your usual/local mechanic and have them run their eyes over it telling them you're planning on selling it. Might cost ya a 6pack or ten mins of your time for him to give you a quick idea - without needing to get a RWC at that time. Then, you will have a bit of an idea as to what might need replacing (and perhaps a bit of an idea on costs).

12 Months Rego is worth say $600... so if there is 6 months left its worth $300 etc etc... and your RWC costs are approx $yyyy
Now you can advertise your car for $xxxxx with RWC and REG, or $xxxxx without (price - $yyyy RWC costs approx - $remaining REG) or close enough.

So if there is say $1000+ difference in the price, it might not help you sell the car because it will be perceived that there are issues with the car that need sorting.... I would have thought $500-$800 difference assuming there are no major issues is fair enough, though if you want the car sold and you want less headaches and running around, then a $300-$400 difference might suffice...

To avoid getting the RWC and not selling the car (as Gobes 32 described), then its sensible to wait until you have a buyer, and take a (non-refundable) deposit ($500.00) for the car. This way you know they are serious about buying the car because they've laid down some cash, and you can use that cash to get the RWC wheels turning...

If it costs you more than you thought for the RWC - then thats a bit of bad luck for you - you should have looked into it a little more - but at least you know the car is sold for the agreed price...

If the buyer pulls out - for any reason - then you've got their deposit money (or what is left) and you can continue trying to sell the car...

As for the transfer stuff - people don't really understand that Registration doesn't mean you OWN the car anyway.... its simply a contact point for someone in reference to the car. This is exactly why on VicRoads paperwork it reads somewhere Registration is NOT title of ownership (or something like that).

So - you still need a BILL OF SALE - which is more important than registration transfer paperwork anyway... At the end of the day if the rego expires you can always register the car again... but if you have no Bill of Sale or Contract of Sale... then you're going to have problems registering the car at all...

*Note* If the car has a short amount of remaining reg - or you trust the buyer, you can leave the car registered in your name anyway and let them drive away in it. Legally they're driving a registered car, even though its still registered to you. VicRoads don't like this, but it's actually not illegal...
If the buyer heads down the hume at 200km/h you will receive the fine, but all you need to do is sign the rear of the fine (or a stat dec) and nominate them as a driver - and then it's not your problem...

And if this is the case - and they are stuffing you around, then cancel the registration or report the car as stolen... but thats only a last resort if they are playing games...

Feel free to pick my response apart or correct me if I'm wrong... but the above has always worked for me and people that I know...
Old 31-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once upon a time i might have considered a car with no RWC, but these days if i`m looking at second handy`s, and i see a car without a RWC ,to me that generally means red flag, it may have some problem/s that will cost serious dollars to fix, and also may not be immediately visible!
so i won`t even consider it, just not worth the hassle.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
ZcAmbo

Out of most of the cars and truck i RWC its usally the buyer getting the rwc usally the seller knows whats wrong with the car but does not want to spend the money on it therefore selling it with out a rwc. The other few we get in are people who have just bought a car or truck with a rwc from the seller but want it checked out to make sure that rwc was not dodgy.
Ive sold quite a few cars never had a problem sold it with reg but i keep the number plates until the show me a copy of a rwc cert issued for that car then gladly hand over the plates.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #24
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Main reason for seller not to provide RWC on older car is the cost - costs more
then car itself in case of $800 car.
RWC tester would be very careful to issue a certificate on such a car knowing buyer would complain if some items were missed which could endanger his testers license.
In case of buyer doing the RW himself things are different as he is not going to complain to anyone and now we ve got a car that is not roadworthy on the roads.
Oh dear ..... refer to DAVWAY above ..... BUT I do actually find it way way way easier to tell the RWC bloke that I just bought the car and need a RWC for it. For one ....... I know the blokes who do it so they are comfortable in doing it. Not a dodgy one either by the way. Instead of having someone coming back to them, if I was selling the car with a RWC I supplied, then having the new owner carry on like a pork chop about non RWC things which is very much a thing that happens.

I did it once ...... bought a car with a RWC, there was a few things that were bad and went back to the bloke who did the RWC. He didn't appreciate it much and I was a more of a pain to him than if I was getting my own roadie for the car I just bought. In this instance I just want the RWC so I can transfer it to my name ........ and before anyone starts ....... it is near on impossible now to get a dodgy one these days. Too much for the RWC blokes to loose.

The act of getting own RWC for transfer is not dodgy BUT if you do not have the warm and fuzzies doing it that way ...... you do not need to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
once upon a time i might have considered a car with no RWC, but these days if i`m looking at second handy`s, and i see a car without a RWC ,to me that generally means red flag, it may have some problem/s that will cost serious dollars to fix, and also may not be immediately visible!
so i won`t even consider it, just not worth the hassle.
Yep .... agree with this too. I would prefer to buy a car with a RWC for the above reasons. Especially if the price is up there and a newer car.

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 31-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #25
80rs

I have bought a fair few cars without rwc before and most of them had the roadworthy failure sheet. An example was a 2000 festiva that i bought with a failure sheet and a quote for repairs from the mechanic which totaled nearly $800. I did all the things required on the list for just over $100 because i had the ability to complete the repairs which a lot of people dont. I would rather trust my own judgement and get a car cheaper without a roady than unregistered.
They sell plenty of registered cars at the auctions every week without any roadworthy
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I have mostly sold cars without RWC. The rego transfer form is filled out by me and the buyer leaving out the RWC section, I take my copy along with the reciept of sale to VR, they note the new buyer in their system and the car is taken out of my name, then they send a letter to the buyer advising they have 28 days to provide a RWC. Have lost count of the number of times I have done this with no problems at all. Easy really.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #27
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

I've bought two Fords, (incl, my EL V8 wags) from car yards, with Reg, minus a RWC, and fixed the issues myself, as I wanted to used genuine parts, and be sure that the problems were fixed to my standard, not to a car yard's 'cheapest way possible' standard.

I can state, that if Vicroads doesn't get a RWC, and the seller has handed in their copy of a transfer form,
Vicroads will then send a letter of Demand to you the new owner, asking for you to provide a RWC within 14 or 28 days of the letter,(can't remember which), or they will suspend the vehicles rego, until you provide them with the RWC, and pay them the transfer fees.

Thats definitely what happens.

I always rather buy cars with Reg, as it's $$$, and time, to go through the Vicroads re-reg process, plus then the reg and number plate isn't original any more, and it's $$$, to get the original number back, if you can get it.

AND generally, RWC's are ALWAYS more expensive, for the PRIVATE seller of a car, as the tester will be more pedantic, as opposed to them knowing that you're the new owner of the vehicle.
It's an unwritten rule of sorts.

(note, it's a different kettle of fish, for dealers, with an in-house RWC licence, or small dealers, with tie's to a 3rd party mechanics business, with whom they may do 'deals', to ensure repeat business.)

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it

Last edited by SPArKy_Dave; 01-02-2012 at 02:56 AM.
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #28
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Quote:

..... it is near on impossible now to get a dodgy one these days. Too much for the RWC blokes to loose.
Hehehehe.............. I'm not say'n nuth'n ........

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #29
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy
I have mostly sold cars without RWC. The rego transfer form is filled out by me and the buyer leaving out the RWC section, I take my copy along with the reciept of sale to VR, they note the new buyer in their system and the car is taken out of my name, then they send a letter to the buyer advising they have 28 days to provide a RWC. Have lost count of the number of times I have done this with no problems at all. Easy really.
According the the VicRoads transfer form:
"(seller must) give the buyer a RWC issued in Victoria no more than 30 days before the date of sale"
"(buyer) must submit this form with the relevant documents (eg. RWC) and applicable payment within 14 days of sale"
"Date of Sale - refers to the date of transfer or delivery, when the buyer acquires the vehicle from the seller"
The RWC is valid for 30 days, but the documents must be presented within 14 days .. unless you don't write the date on the form when the car is handed over .. which means "technically" any offences incurred are "technically" the original owners problem ..

From your description sounds like it's all a bit rubbery?

Transferring a registered car without a RWC might have been OK years ago - basically a gentlemans agreement - but these days I just hear too many stories of people never bothering to transfer rego into their own names. Too much to lose for to little cash-in-hand benefit for me. Probably explains why I haven't sold a registered car privately for about ten years?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #30
ZcAmbo

You can still transfer a registered car into another name with out a rwc but you have 28 days to supply a rwc or the registration on the vehicle will be suspended by vic roads until a rwc is produced.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post