Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #1
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default New Vic Road Rules - 31 Mar

For the Viccos amongst us, new rules introduced today. I know many on here have commented on that there is no difference between using a fixed device versus an embedded device. Those rules have been tightened, especially for leaners and P-platers.

A summary is:

New Victorian road rules 2023
New road rules are being introduced regulating the use of a range of portable, wearable and inbuilt devices while driving a vehicle or riding a motorbike. The rules expand and clarify a number of rules already in place for mobile phones, and take effect on 31 March 2023.

The rules reflect the significant increase of in-vehicle technologies and other technologies capable of distracting a driver and are designed to help keep people safe on our roads.

The rules are expanded from mobile phones and visual display units to cover:

Portable devices (unmounted mobile phones, tablets);
Wearable devices (smartwatches, wearable heads-up display);
Inbuilt devices (Information, navigation, and entertainment systems, heads-up display that is an inbuilt part of the vehicle);
Mounted devices (Heads-up display, tablet, mobile phone, media player etc if securely mounted in or on a vehicle); and
Motor bike helmet devices.
Rules for L and P platers are different to those for fully licensed drivers – see below.

Drivers with full licences

Learner, P1 and P2 drivers

The penalty remains $555 and four demerit points.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Default Re: New Vic Road Rules - 31 Mar

So if your vehicle has a heads up display or infotainment screen, you're risking a fine every time you drive the car?
Old 31-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Gotta pay for everything somehow,

They should introduce new laws, you only get to vote after you've paid more than $3000 in fines because you've contributed to society above and beyond the normal taxes
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
So if your vehicle has a heads up display or infotainment screen, you're risking a fine every time you drive the car?
only if you adjust it. however you are allowed to adjust the climate settings or volume officer honestly
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Gotta pay for everything somehow,

They should introduce new laws, you only get to vote after you've paid more than $3000 in fines because you've contributed to society above and beyond the normal taxes
Not a bad rule, since I'd qualify. Ask what you can do for your state, not what your state can do for you!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 06:49 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow....clear as mud.

On a mounted device, can't..

Quote:
Scroll on the device (such as scrolling through texts messages, social media, music etc.)
But can...

Quote:
You can however, touch the device briefly to:

initiate, accept or reject an audio call
play or stream audio material
adjust volume levels
use a function on the device designed to assist you to operate the vehicle
use a navigation function
use a function on the device designed to monitor a driver’s behaviour or condition, or
carry out a professional driving task

So if on my mounted device, I scroll to play the next album, have I breached the rules?!

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

This user likes this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

And just like the sheep that we have become, we cop it sweet without a whimper!
Bloody ridiculous it is…. I also pity the poor honest cops attempting to enforce such draconian rubbish
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 07:03 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Bloody ridiculous it is…. I also pity the poor honest cops attempting to enforce such draconian rubbish
I guess they can use discretion on whether they enforce something,

Just like how they picked and chose who they were going to enforce the laws on during lockdown......
4 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 07:27 PM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think very few people will argue against the general idea of prohibiting use of mobile phones / devices when driving. I can't imagine anyone would advocate repealing these rules, but probably could do with a few tweaks.

Realistically, for you to get done, they'd need to produce evidence. And if they have video evidence of you doing it, then you'd have to have been pretty flagrant about it, and probably deserve it?

If you take 3 seconds to change your music playlist, I can't see how they can tell if you only "touched it briefly" vs "scrolling".

I see people texting with phone on their laps every time I head down the eastern fwy....no joke.....they deserve the extra tax IMHO.

Rides (past and present)

Old 31-03-2023, 07:38 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Melbourne's freeways are like driving in the Safeway car park at 5km/h, except they don't have pedestrians to watch out for, if you stack on one of those you're going to bounce off the car in front

If they took it seriously it would have a four figure fine and 10 points, it's made so the fine and points are low enough that you'd risk it.

It's like speeding for 20 over, until last year you could get caught three times, still keep your licence and still be in for just under a thousand bucks, it was the best value speeding fine.
Old 31-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I guess they can use discretion on whether they enforce something,

Just like how they picked and chose who they were going to enforce the laws on during lockdown......
Haha.

VicPol HWP no longer do discretion. It’s guilty until proven innocent, and cause they know it would cost more to fight it in court, against a judge that will take their side, they don’t give a damn if it wasn’t worthy of a fine. Dan Andrews record debt levels because of their incompetence has to be paid for somehow.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 07:42 PM   #12
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to this, there is a 3 month grace period from today, before infringements are issued.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/m...4097154564bdfe

Rides (past and present)

Old 31-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #13
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
nope. as a motorcyclist, I welcome anything that reduces distraction. they don't see us even when they do look.

edit

and it will be cameras not cops
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
nope. as a motorcyclist, I welcome anything that reduces distraction. they don't see us even when they do look.

edit

and it will be cameras not cops
You ride the motorbike, you know the risks so it's on you to ride diligently instead of relying on everyone else to be doing the right thing. Be a cold day in hell when motorcyclists in VIC can claim they've done nothing wrong - maybe you should all wear the Mr whippy high vis vest like all the learners have to and let's ban half face helmets while we're at it too

Typical VIC revenue raising job I reckon.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-03-2023 at 09:46 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 09:58 PM   #15
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don’t really get what the fuss is with these laws, all they’re really doing is catching up with technology that’s been around since 2016.

That’s what happens when you get middle age plus people who call YouTube ‘the YouTube’ making laws that relate to tech.

Just wait until Apple release their AR glasses, which everyone else will then follow. How they’ll be able to police those is anyone’s guess. That what these laws should have included.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 10:33 PM   #16
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

I thought the cops in Victoria just shoot you.....
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2023, 10:46 PM   #17
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Don’t really get what the fuss is with these laws, all they’re really doing is catching up with technology that’s been around since 2016.

That’s what happens when you get middle age plus people who call YouTube ‘the YouTube’ making laws that relate to tech.

Just wait until Apple release their AR glasses, which everyone else will then follow. How they’ll be able to police those is anyone’s guess. That what these laws should have included.
So I just read that these cameras catching you on these new laws is supposed to detect whether you are distracted. It uses AI tech. Once it flags you as a potential culprit i.e. distracted, a human then assesses the footage to validate whether you were using a device incorrectly.

So if AI can detect that you are distracted whilst having glasses on, that could be step 1.

What a great time to be alive!

Rides (past and present)

Old 31-03-2023, 11:07 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
You ride the motorbike, you know the risks so it's on you to ride diligently instead of relying on everyone else to be doing the right thing. Be a cold day in hell when motorcyclists in VIC can claim they've done nothing wrong - maybe you should all wear the Mr whippy high vis vest like all the learners have to and let's ban half face helmets while we're at it too

Typical VIC revenue raising job I reckon.
Stop ....
Old 01-04-2023, 06:22 AM   #19
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess you are not a police officer or tow truck operator that has to attend to road accidents where people are ****ing around with screens and have caused an accident - how else would you suggest you stop idiots being idiots

You are great at calling out "draconian rubbish", so how would you fix the problem? - oh wait I bet you can't - just wait until you are hit by one of these inattentive ****-wits
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 08:14 AM   #20
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The intersection of Canterbury and Elgar Rds Surrey Hills, is a camera test site.
Google Street view on the North East (Surrey Park) side of the intersection shows a different style of t which I think maybe one of the new cameras.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #21
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I guess you are not a police officer or tow truck operator that has to attend to road accidents where people are ****ing around with screens and have caused an accident - how else would you suggest you stop idiots being idiots

You are great at calling out "draconian rubbish", so how would you fix the problem? - oh wait I bet you can't - just wait until you are hit by one of these inattentive ****-wits
Ohhh Please Trev, Cry me a river!…. I wasn’t born yesterday, AND I’ve seen my fair share of road trauma!

Look, this is simply another blatant revenue grab…
If they were truly serious about stopping mobile phone use when driving, then I’m sure there’s technology that could effectively block or jam the mobile signal once a mobile phone is in a vehicle?… But there’s no revenue $$$$s for Dan-tha-man in that!

Similar to smoking or even pokies… If they were really so damn concerned about the health or financial repercussions on people, they’d (in the case of smoking) ban the manufacture or sale of cigarettes?… Again, no tax bucks in that is there?
Pokies?… totally ban them (remember they’ve only been legal in Vic for 30yrs!) if they are doing so much damage to society?
Or even speeding?… If they TRULY wanted to totally stop speeding, speed zones interacting with vehicle technology is already out there!… Again, the almighty revenue stream drys up though, doesn’t it?
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
5 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
If they were truly serious about stopping mobile phone use when driving, then I’m sure there’s technology that could effectively block or jam the mobile signal once a mobile phone is in a vehicle?… But there’s no revenue $$$$s for Dan-tha-man in that!
Careful what you wish for.
I travel a number of local freeways here in SA and have noticed recently that whilst passing under particular overhead gantry's a call will hang up every single time.
I do an afternoon run every day down south and after the final stop I use my handsfree to call my Wife to give her an eta so we can discuss what we're having for dinner and when she should prepare it to be ready when I get home, everyday I'd pass under this particular gantry and the call would hang up, at first I figured it was just a phone glitch or reception issue but then it happened day after day to the point where I wait to make the call until after I've passed through it.
I then noticed the same thing happening at other overhead gantry locations and have come to the conclusion that it must be some type of signal jamming device being trialled.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

As much as this is for safety it will be another revenue raiser for the governments just like speed cameras that generate revenue.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #24
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before we get too hysterical. Fines in WA and QLD are double! Lets see how they are enforced, you've been given a 3 month grace period, that's pretty generous I think?

https://mozo.com.au/insurance/car-in...s-in-australia

Quote:
According to GC Law, mobile phones are a contributing factor in 46% of near crashes.

While this can be hard to accurately determine, NSW Government data indicated that mobile phone distraction accounted for 9% of all fatal crashes from 2008-2016.

NSW
In NSW the fine for getting caught using your mobile phone while driving is $362 and 5 demerit points. If you’re in a school zone the fine jumps up to $481.

VIC
In VIC the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $545 (now $555) and 4 demerit points.

QLD
In QLD the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $1078 and 4 demerit points.

NT
In the NT the fine for getting caught using your mobile phone while driving is $500 and 3 demerit points.

WA
In WA the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is up to $1000 and 4 demerit points.

SA
In SA the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $534, plus a $60 victims of crime levy, and 3 demerit points.

TAS
In TAS the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $344 and 3 demerit points.

ACT
In the ACT the fine for getting caught using your phone while driving is $511 and 4 demerit points.
For me, I'm glad they have clarified that its ok to use it for:
  • use a function on the device designed to assist you to operate the vehicle
  • use a function on the device designed to monitor a driver’s behaviour or condition, or
  • carry out a professional driving task

There is quite a bit of flexibility there IMHO. Means its ok to use it for things like TorquePro and Forscan data monitoring.

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #25
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Careful what you wish for.
I travel a number of local freeways here in SA and have noticed recently that whilst passing under particular overhead gantry's a call will hang up every single time.
I do an afternoon run every day down south and after the final stop I use my handsfree to call my Wife to give her an eta so we can discuss what we're having for dinner and when she should prepare it to be ready when I get home, everyday I'd pass under this particular gantry and the call would hang up, at first I figured it was just a phone glitch or reception issue but then it happened day after day to the point where I wait to make the call until after I've passed through it.
I then noticed the same thing happening at other overhead gantry locations and have come to the conclusion that it must be some type of signal jamming device being trialled.
It hangs up your call, then you not thinking do a redial and bang, here's your fine, it is revenue raising if they are trying to catch you re dialling

If you think about all the money the modern motorist has to shell out just for the convenience of owning a car, Rego, stamp duty, insurance, parking, parking fines, driving offences ( too numerous to list ), then you combine that by the number of cars on Australian roads and Clive Palmer is suing for pocket change in the big picture, they really make too much already.

I know they are trying to save us from ourselves, but really if its still happening whatever they do to combat it is not working.

Like mentioned in a above post there is tech that can kurb it that would cost a lot less than a new speed camera, but that doesn't top up the piggy bank for them to use on their next tax payers trip.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 02:00 PM   #26
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m sure there’s technology that could effectively block or jam the mobile signal once a mobile phone is in a vehicle?…
I hear schools are going to start implementing this jamming tech. Residents near by are not happy because it might affect them

That tech is not feasible for a car, its not illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving provided its done safely, and also passengers would be affected. Imagine hoping into an uber and having your mobile phone jammed when you are trying to organise your night out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Why would they want to jam calls? Its not illegal to make calls hands free. Its the texting, instagraming, facebooking they want to stop.

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-04-2023, 02:13 PM   #27
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

That tech is not feasible for a car, its not illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving provided its done safely, and also passengers would be affected. Imagine hoping into an uber and having your mobile phone jammed when you are trying to organise your night out.

Why would they want to jam calls? Its not illegal to make calls hands free. Its the texting, instagraming, facebooking they want to stop.
Just thinking about it with all the tech they are throwing at us with new cars, It could be made to be that when you enter a car that the phone will not work unless its in a fitted cradle or mount, and then options could be limited while its in its mount, there are ways around these problems, we also know there will be people that will find a way around it too, but if done right it would still limit the phones use inside a vehicle.

Im sure ride share vehicles could adapt with cradles for each occupant if need be.

Its just a though, but with the right tech introduced they could stop the problem dead rather than spending the millions they do in campaigns saying that it reduces the problem, just spend the millions actually fixing the problem once and for all.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #28
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

For me, I'm glad they have clarified that its ok to use it for:
  • use a function on the device designed to assist you to operate the vehicle
  • use a function on the device designed to monitor a driver’s behaviour or condition, or
  • carry out a professional driving task

There is quite a bit of flexibility there IMHO. Means its ok to use it for things like TorquePro and Forscan data monitoring.
How does this overhead camera differentiate what task you’re actually undertaking when touching either, a legally mounted phone or a built in touchscreen?…
Does it have “honesty finger” AI technology?
How do you PROVE (if you contest the charge) that the function you were carrying out was a legal one?
Got up for gigs, the whole thing!
Old 01-04-2023, 02:21 PM   #29
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw the news report of the trailer mounted cameras.
There was no mention of fixed cameras.
My experience is so many drivers use the devices while stopped at the lights.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2023, 02:33 PM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How does this overhead camera differentiate what task you’re actually undertaking when touching either, a legally mounted phone or a built in touchscreen?…
Does it have “honesty finger” AI technology?
How do you PROVE (if you contest the charge) that the function you were carrying out was a legal one?
Got up for gigs, the whole thing!
I agree. The ones I've seen take a footage from the front, so they never see whats on your screen. Lets see how it stacks up in court. I think we are still going to see very few penalties issued for mounted devices.

Its the blatant, texting on your lap, or holding the phone whilst driving that will cop it.

Rides (past and present)