Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Negative Terminal Clamp Corrosion

This notably occurs when a battery is undercharging - typically from a bad alternator.

What I’m wondering about is why it seems to be ongoing after the situation is resolved? Is the terminal clamp so chemically imbalanced that it forever remains in a state prejudiced towards oxidisation?

It’s a Franco type question, is he un-banned yet?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Negative Terminal Clamp Corrosion

Its is a Franco question, What did Franco do this time?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The answer is here: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...internal_short
Quote:
...This reaction cannot be avoided because the electrodes in a lead acid environment are always reactive. Lead shedding is a natural phenomenon that can be reduced but not eliminated.
Old 18-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s not quite the same AB, terminals are good and battery itself charges/discharges normally.

It’s the clamping part of the car harness’s negative lead which suffers this “runaway” effect where even removal and washing in an alkaline solution doesn’t seem to arrest the decay.
Old 18-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd hazard a guess & say it would be caused by the two dissimilar metals being the lead battery post & the battery terminal, which obviously isn't lead, being in contact with an electrolyte, (even water can be a weak electrolyte).
There's probably some form of leakage of gas, or even the battery acid, between the seal of the battery casing & the battery post.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

My bf xr6 does exactly the same thing,battery and alt are perfectly fine,once it starts getting that fuzz youll never get rid of it without replacing the battery and battery terminal/earth lead.
Ive removed the battery terminal and fully cleaned it(removed the fuzz back to clean metal) and then used bi carb and boiling water to neutralise the acid on the terminal and battery posts,it only comes back with avengance.
I just regularly clean mine.
I have replaced the battery on my bf,made no difference,because i havent replaced the earth lead,its had that fuzz on it so it will always come back......
Had exactly the same issue on my eb ghia v8 as well,until i got new terminals and a new battery,never happened again,it was that bad that it ate the complete terminal away to almost nothing and it snapped off pretty much.
Much easier on the eb,the terminals can be replaced,bf needs a whole new earth lead.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2020, 10:24 PM   #7
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Vaso.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
that’s not quite the same AB, terminals are good and battery itself charges/discharges normally.
From that link (https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ternal_short):

"The terminals of a battery can also corrode. This is often visible with the formation of white powder as a result of oxidation between two different metals connecting the poles. Terminal corrosion can eventually lead to an open electrical connection. Changing the connecting terminals to lead, the same material as the battery pole of a starter battery, will solve most corrosion problems."
Old 19-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I use Vaso.

I started using that about 60 years ago and never stopped.
I rarely have any kind of problem.
I was starting to think that no-one else still used it.
I actually buy petroleum jelly in a 5kg tub as it has many, many uses around the place.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I use Vaso.
Tell us more, no wait, dont.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2020, 12:33 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I started using that about 60 years ago and never stopped.
I rarely have any kind of problem.
I was starting to think that no-one else still used it.
I actually buy petroleum jelly in a 5kg tub as it has many, many uses around the place.
I hear Kiwis prefer natural lanolin.
Old 19-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I hear Kiwis prefer natural lanolin.

Of course they would
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-09-2020, 10:55 PM   #13
.:4:.
Kicking back

I havent had the green occur on my bfs battery, and ive had that car a long time. It used to happen every while on my first car. Before i changed the terminals, id just wire brush them and they'd be sweet for months. On that car due to big cables for amps, i put on gold plated terminals from jaycar, and they stopped the green mess. Plus, being 17 at the time, having a chrome pipe to a pod filter, proper warm air intake, the gold battery terminals. Yep, pop the bonnet, and ****er spec. I just couldnt at the time justify at the time for the gold plated positive terminal with the built in voltage screen.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One of the terminals that dissolved terribly, did include a lead “cap” or sleeve in direct contact with the battery post. It still dissolved.

A common link between the two failures I’ve experienced, other than alternator breakdown, is that both terminals were pressed metal types. Have a few cars with ancient brass terminal clamps, a bit tarnished but still otherwise good.

The forged brass terminal clamps from Projecta, look like they’ll do nicely. I bought a battery cable lug crimper some years back and it lives in my occasional workshop. Worst case I’ll use that to put ends on a cut length of fresh cable.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:30 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This notably occurs when a battery is undercharging - typically from a bad alternator.

What I’m wondering about is why it seems to be ongoing after the situation is resolved? Is the terminal clamp so chemically imbalanced that it forever remains in a state prejudiced towards oxidisation?

It’s a Franco type question, is he un-banned yet?
I'm back from the dead - I ran off, got accepted into the circus as the bearded lady but got kicked out by Michelle from HR because apparently having manboobs, a pedo mustache and wearing a pink dress didn't cut it, so I did a bit of sales repping for Nick Scali, but the product was average, sank some **** with Ken Bruce but he went mad, so I've come back home.

Usually that build up around terminals is from a damaged and leaking battery terminal.

Usually just boiling water that crapola off and get out the battery post cleaner contraption, imagine Satan's fleshlight.

I'm hesitant to use battery terminal coatings just in case they end up creating high resistance joins.

I see you have a DIN battery, real men use VT-VZ Commodore battery terminals, just ask Michelle from circus HR:

https://tridon.com.au/products/Matso...34719/MA100BL2

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-09-2020 at 08:37 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Good to see your Dad un-banned you. He even might have to come along when we all go for post-lockdown borscht, piroshkiy and too many drinks.

I used these terminals, the negative version:

https://www.projecta.com.au/battery-...ged-brass-bolt

Had to spread it slightly, and then drill oversize one side of the fastening holes to allow realigning of the pinch bolt.
Old 21-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
I used these terminals, the negative version:

https://www.projecta.com.au/battery-...ged-brass-bolt
I prefer these:

https://www.projecta.com.au/battery-...ion%20Terminal

Old 24-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Where have they been all my life? Would have made so many things much easier
Old 24-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Where have they been all my life? Would have made so many things much easier
Supercheap used to sell them.

These which also have fuses, can also be very useful: https://www.projecta.com.au/battery-...ution-terminal

Old 24-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Have you seen the similar one with triple fusing, also from Projecta?

Edit: AB is beating me again!
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This joint has some good stuff too:

https://www.swe-check.com.au/product...tribution-unit
This user likes this post:
Old 25-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That clamp you linked is very similar to OEM fitment on the 147GTA Alfa.

Also the first aftermarket one I’ve seen that locked into the indexing holes atop a DIN battery.