Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #1
h20melon
Starter Motor

Default Which towbar do I have?

Hi,

I bought a 2014 TDCI LX wagon earlier this year on the basis that it tows 1600kg with 160kg on the ball.

But I'm a little confused by the sticker in the drivers door. It mentions that I can tow 1600kg when using the load leveller part no. MA-19L009-A, which I recently purchased second hand.

But it also mentions that I can only tow 1200kg with 120kg on the ball if I'm using gooseneck MA-19B011-A. My gooseneck has the chain attachment just under the ball.

There isn't any numbers on the gooseneck and the dealer said that I can tow 1600kg because it is a diesel.

I did find a number on the towbar behind the little tow cover - MA19A009BC, whether this helps.

Does anyone know? The owners manual doesn't help either - The difference between the standard and heavy duty tow packs is just the load levelling kit.

Thanks.
h20melon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Which towbar do I have?

As explained in your owners manual...

There is only one tow bar, one goose neck and ball for Mondeo (well one for sedan/wagon and one for hatch) but makes no difference to towing. Regardless of which tow bar, unless you have trailer brakes, the max you can tow is 750 kgs. With trailer brakes 1200 kgs, then if you add the load leveling kit you can tow 1600 kgs. its explained on page 158-159 of the owners manual.

MC Mondeo Towing.JPG
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
h20melon
Starter Motor

Thanks GTLEGEND

I have been doing more research and have found that my towbar is the same as in this eBay item https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MON...-/293599341824 who is claiming it is only a 1200kg version.

This other eBay item shows a different towbar for the Mondeo and shows the sticker for 1600kg
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Towbar-t...g/114376177285

Note in the 2nd one it is bolted on with about 12 bolts whereas mine only has 6. Also the gooseneck is attached directly onto the crossbeam whereas mine has vertical plates down from the main crossbeam.

I don't want to go and tow close to 1600/160kg and find it breaks. Have people towed this weight on the type as in the first eBay link?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

The second eBay link is for an aftermarket towbar, the first is genuine Ford.

I would only go by the manufacturers recomendations who have obviously engineered, crash and other various tests the vehicle. Who knows what sort of testing the others have done.

The only available towing parts from Ford for a 2014 Mondeo are listed below:

Hatch towbar: MA 19A009 AB
Wagon/Sedan towbar: MA 19A009 BC
Goose Neck: MA 19B011 A
Load Levelling Kit: MA 19L009 A (2.0L DURATORQ DI OR 2.5L DURATEC-ST (220PS) - VI5)
Towing Module: AM2J 19H517 AC
Wagon Wiring: AM8S7J 15A416 AA
Sedan/hatch Wiring: R6 145 D
Tow ball: U0 19B012 A
Hardware Fitting Kit: MA 19H009 A

As per the owners manual the load limits are below. So the only difference to be able to tow 1600 kgs is with the load levelling kit, otherwise its 1200 kgs (with braked trailer of course).

MC Mondeo Towing 2.JPG
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
h20melon
Starter Motor

Thanks again GTLEGEND.

A well detailed response