Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Chunka
Starter Motor

Default Clear water dripping underneath BF RTV Ute

I have been starting to think about cleaning and deodorising the a/c evaporator on my 2008 RTV.
A YouTube video showed injection of a dedicated foam product to do this and it seemed to be successful. The guy put a tube up the ac condensate pipe to squirt this foam product.
So, I started looking underneath the RTV for anything that looked like an a/c condensate pipe.
No success. So I put the a/c on full, waited a bit and then looked underneath.
Sure enough water was dripping steadily out, actually from around the exhaust pipe. Itwas much further back than I expected though. Further back than the protection plate, so it wasn’t running down that. I reckon the point it was dripping would be in line with the rear of the seats.
Right now I’m not sure whether this is ac condensate, engine condensate or what. And why is it dripping so far back?
Any ideas?
Cheers..Chunka
Chunka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Clear water dripping underneath BF RTV Ute

sounds like it is in the chassis tube and is running back from there, I thought they were on the firewall
Old 14-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Look above the gearbox...literally.
Thats the hole.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2020, 12:34 AM   #4
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been a while since I have looked at the BA /BF / Territory air box. Yes the water drip is above the gearbox, but I would have thought you would have better access to the AC evaporator by flipping out the glovebox, and pulling out the air filter, or lifting out the fan motor, and spraying towards the centre of the car where the AC evaporator sits.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Chunka
Starter Motor

Thanks, they give me some avenues of attack.
Incidentally I have emptied 3/4 of a can of Glen 20 already both inside the cab with ac on recirc and also from outside into the inlet vent. Made a huge difference to the smelll, reducing it considerably. (Previous owner was a big smoker). But I would like to try and clean the Ac evaporator . There’s got to be a lot of crud in there.
Old 15-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Start at the source. Remove wiper arms and scuttle trim, then wiper motor assembly. Wash out scuttle thoroughly.

While scuttle is still open, remove the glovebox, debris filter mesh panel and blower motor. You will find several hours of cleaning with wet cloths and a light dilution of antiseptic household detergent now possible in this exposed area, but commence with a good vacuuming.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
Chunka
Starter Motor

Thanks Citroenbender,
I carried that out today, that is removing the wipers, scuttle, glovebox, cabin filter. And cleaned it.
My next goal is to get access to the evaporator coils so I can apply a detergent foam to clean them via an application tube. One option is to come in from the front under the windscreen into the vent. This brings the tube to the top of the blower rotor. A question. Is the blower waterproof from rain etc coming from the outside vents? Surely it must be?

I am trying to avoid getting underneath, finding the ac evaporator drain hole and having to insert the tube into it.
Old 22-09-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s an upturned lip in the scuttle pressing, from memory, and as you would have seen the intake is blinded from direct (forward oncoming) air flow; it is buffeted sideways.

The fan is easy to remove, take it out and be horrified at what colour the white blades have become. With that out and the recirc door propped open (if the operating rod can be released) you have modest visibility towards the evaporator core.

I think there is further a small lip around the blower opening, such that water getting in that far is directed towards the evaporator bottom, where it would eventually drain out the HVAC’s central rubber spigot.
Old 22-09-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Chunka
Starter Motor

Thanks Citroenbender,
I’ll give removing the blower a go.
Re the recirc door operating rod, would it normally be able to be released?
Old 22-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It may be possible; I had the dash out so it was easy. If you can unclip it at the HIM end then you’re sorted.
Old 22-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #11
Chunka
Starter Motor

Could I put the key in the ignition and open the recirc door by pressing the button?
Old 22-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

With the engine running, definitely. But with the fan disconnected I’m not so sure.
Old 22-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunka View Post
Thanks, they give me some avenues of attack.
Incidentally I have emptied 3/4 of a can of Glen 20 already both inside the cab with ac on recirc and also from outside into the inlet vent. Made a huge difference to the smelll, reducing it considerably. (Previous owner was a big smoker). But I would like to try and clean the Ac evaporator . There’s got to be a lot of crud in there.
I bought a car from a heavy smoker. Give it time. After a few months all the smell will go. Just takes a bit of time. That’s all..
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #14
Chunka
Starter Motor

Yes the smell is gradually reducing thank goodness.
On another matter I have discovered one inlet manifold bolt (front of front lifting lug) is sheared off and the next one (Rear of front lifting lug) was loose. Lifting point was therefore rattling around, which is how I discovered the problem. Is there a history of inlet manifold bolt issues with these engines?
2008 Barra BF lpg RTV ute
Old 23-09-2020, 12:30 AM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

I have had some loosen a bit over time...not shear off.

Also had a stinky smokers car...it goes away eventually but the first blast of a/c is usually best avoided. I hate Xmas trees and artificial stinky smells but that car I emptied a few spray bottles into.

Even a blow out of compressed air through the filter hole will get a lot of crap/dust out of the evap area.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Clear water dripping underneath BF RTV Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I bought a car from a heavy smoker. Give it time. After a few months all the smell will go. Just takes a bit of time. That’s all..
Smell doesn't go , you just get used to it .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #17
Chunka
Starter Motor

I had a look at the blower today with a view to removing it. Glovebox door removed, electrical connector disconnected. I assume then that it’s a question of removing the 3 Philips head mounting screws at 120 deg on the blower and it will drop down with no need to remove dash?
Old 28-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s basically it.

Don’t try to power it up un-mounted, blower motors have a lot of torque and will often flip about the place while smashing themselves up.
Old 28-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
Chunka
Starter Motor

Thanks for the tip !
Old 28-09-2020, 10:54 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This stuff can often kill the smell: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...1g/342508.html or https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/166509.html
Old 29-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #21
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It may not "drop" out and needs some wiggling to get past the dash plastics but the 3 screws is all you remove.
Old 30-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #22
Chunka
Starter Motor

I got the blower out. It was pretty easy. Clean also because I had given it a foam treatment shortly before. Plenty of muddy brown liquid came out of the drain.

The blower rotor though didn’t spin as freely as I would have liked. Not stiff but not completely free running either. I tried to get the rotor off the rusty shaft in the hole I could get access to the bearings but no luck I’m afraid. Any thoughts?