Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default God i love Super cheep

Was down there getting a few bolts (God knows why) and shock to the system they didn't have the ones i needed anyway!!.

anywho, there was some middle aged bloke there talking to the Staff about how they told him to change his oil a 10,000km and he thinks that is too long.

Staff come back with oh well it depends on how much you like your car and 10,000km would be the absolute maximum, the oil you have is a "special" blend and 5000km would be alright, he says he normally does it a 2000km

at this point i had to end the Pain, so said excuse me mate what car is it,
Hyandia Elantra he replies.
Ok, your using a synthetic oil 10,000km will be fine and it's likly the factory service interval aswell. (Didn't bother to mention the viscosity Super cheep staff have advised his to use it probably too thin aswell)

The girl behind the counter then says, Oh no i would run 10,000km on a Elantra defiantly 5000km at the most!!

At this point i smiled politely, biting my Toung on what my qualification are and what i do for a living and walked out.

Old 25-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Super crap auto-don't argue, they know more about your car than you do
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally think 10,000K is too long & 5,000 in the right number for me & my cars!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
Super crap auto-don't argue, they know more about your car than you do
Thats the right oil sir and would you like fries with that? for an extra redback we can upsize to 6 litres.........

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

You know what i love? Spell check... :P

It's 'Super Cheap', or were you referring to Super Sheep from the computer game Worms?

hehe just toying with you mate. You will get people everywhere giving you free advice anywhere you go, just like what I'm doing now

In general i try to avoid this shop like the plague but for basic maintenance items it can be helpful. Funny story!!
Old 25-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a get in-get out kinda store.. Only when there is sales on though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
kircher

I once took a wheel stud in to super cheap to get a wheel nut for it, couldn't find any, so I asked the guy at the back counter and gave him the stud. He went to a stand of nuts and bolts, and found a nut and said "here, this fits". It fit but wasn't a wheel nut. I said "no, sorry that's not a wheel nut", he then said "no, see? look! it fits..." I then had to say "no, it's not a wheel nut". The guy wouldn't listen. I then went to autobarn and the guy there had wheel nuts but gave me one that fit loosely, but was clearly an incorrect thread. I had to ask him if I could look through them myself. I did and found the one I wanted.

Other than that I do all of my shopping at Repco or Auto pro. I haven't had a single problem since. Some of the old guys that work at these shops don't even have to look through reference books to find a part.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
LANKY 1
Are the Supercars on yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I personally think 10,000K is too long & 5,000 in the right number for me & my cars!!
I do mine at 15,000k. cos that's what the book says.

once when i went in to S C was looking for a fuel filter for the XF. the chick at the counter is asking me what type, year etc and come with it doesn't have a special filter. which i knew perfectly well cos that's why i asked were the filters were and not what type i needed

V8 dreamteam
1st: 2012, 2021
2nd: 2015, 2016, 2020, 2022, 2023
3rd: 2014, 2018, 2019
LANKY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze

It's 'Super Cheap', or were you referring to Super Sheep from the computer game Worms?

hehe just toying with you mate. You will get people everywhere giving you free advice anywhere you go, just like what I'm doing now

In general i try to avoid this shop like the plague but for basic maintenance items it can be helpful. Funny story!!

yeah i realized that mistake right after i posted, but in the spirit of Super Cheap i opted to leave it.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I find every place has there ups and downs. Just the other week I was replacing rear wheel bearings on a mates au wagon. Repco wanted $80-90 for EACH wheel bearing. Drove around the corner to Auto One and pick up both for just under $80. I usually find Repco good for everything I need. Supercheap sell a lot of cheap useless parts but they also have their good things like 5.5-6L bottles of oil which saves having to buy two seperate bottles each service.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

The name says it all really!!
Old 25-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #12
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze

LOL

You got to hand it to some of these 'Auto Shops', the staff they employ really have no idea, and because they put petrol in their car, it makes them a car expert.
Old 25-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Yes but if your meant to be giving advise to a customer it should be the correct advise and if you don't know you don't just make stuff up.

You could say this is what I would do and why but I'm not sure.

That's just me thou, but i deal with equipment worth mega $$ so i find it best to know what ya doing before giving a opinion about something.

meanwhile this poor chap has somehow got the idea he needs to change synthetic oil evry 2000km but can go as long as 5000km because the guys behind the counter got there training out of Fast 4's magazine and R31 skyline forums.
Old 25-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every 2000km might be fine if he's only doing that every 12 months.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Yes but if your meant to be giving advise to a customer it should be the correct advise and if you don't know you don't just make stuff up.

You could say this is what I would do and why but I'm not sure.

That's just me thou, but i deal with equipment worth mega $$ so i find it best to know what ya doing before giving a opinion about something.

meanwhile this poor chap has somehow got the idea he needs to change synthetic oil evry 2000km but can go as long as 5000km because the guys behind the counter got there training out of Fast 4's magazine and R31 skyline forums.
Nah they're much more knowledgable then that. Someone's been reading rogercordia's guide to engines again.

On a side note the people at Autobarn in Dural(NW sydney) actually know their stuff. Even the newbie girl knew what she was doin last time i was in there although she probably transferred from another store.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I love super cheap, they have bottom radiator hoses at 8am before i need to get to my business meeting 60km away at 10am.
Old 25-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you expect, 'A' grade mechanics to be working there?
They are briefed by the reps of oil products as to what intervals are recommended, then pass this onto the customer.
Recommending shorter service intervals means more sales for the store and manufacturer.
Capitalism fuels business. They don't give a rats about your car.
Anyone who seeks accurate information from a retail assistant regarding engine servicing is asking for misinformation.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr101
They are briefed by the reps of oil products as to what intervals are recommended, then pass this onto the customer.
Recommending shorter service intervals means more sales for the store and manufacturer.
Capitalism fuels business. They don't give a rats about your car.
Anyone who seeks accurate information from a retail assistant regarding engine servicing is asking for misinformation.
I think you're unfairly tarring a great many people with that brush...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
You got to hand it to some of these 'Auto Shops', the staff they employ really have no idea, and because they put petrol in their car, it makes them a car expert.
They also pay them minimum wage and make give them sales target (I know in retail how could they). You think people who can be making more elsewhere (and not have to deal with moronic customers) would subject themselves to retail?

In all seriousness if a person doesn't know what they're doing, they should learn from someone who does or get it done by a mechanic, becuase what happens is if they get the correct advice they'll stuff it up and then get all angry and blame the person who told them how to do it.
Old 25-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just little things bug me, stuff thats quite simple but causes you a lot of greif .
It was only last weekend i went to auto barn for oil and a new filter . I ask the sales guy if the new drift filters for the ba's were available yet . I Had been waiting for these for a while because drift put magnets in the filters.
Anyway the sales bloke said yep they have arrived and grabbed one of the shelf .
so went home jacked the car and put it up on stands , flushed the motor couple times drained oil and removed the filter , . Went to put the new filter on guess what bloody wrong filter, wouldn't fit .
My choices then was
put old filter back on with $100+ of royal purple oil with the old filter ( no way) , or catch a cab to swap filters easy $70 cab ride there and back .
I couldn't put the old oil back in because it was mixed with the cleaning additives i used to flush the motor.
So i drained the old stale fuel out of my un-registerd motorbike put new fuel it and jump started the bike in and rode it there to swap filters .
All this because some idiot didn't look at what filter he grabbed . So i grabbed the right filter took it to the counter to swap them, then he told me the new one costs more . So i told him to deal with it im taking it anyway and told him the trouble he caused.
All he said was oh not sorry or anything . Some people :
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
I think you're unfairly tarring a great many people with that brush...
Yeah true, my apologies, but in the grand scheme of things, I believe that advice is better sought from a person with the technical aptitude or the relevant technical data, rather than some of the 16 year old casuals at a superbarn.

My missus works at one of these places and more often than not is told that she doesn't know what she's talking about, only to have customer return later to tell her they wish they followed her advice.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #22
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hell no but at the same time they never asked what car it was, suggested maybe have a look in the owner's Manuel where service intervals are listed and "Special blend" it's OK for 5000km Give me break LMAO

Then when someone gave correct information they proceeded to dismiss it, Like sorry, i only work as a Mechanical Contractor in Mining and Oil& Gas Clearly iv got no idea.
Old 25-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #23
n1ck

i cant standing going into super cheap or autobarn
i think bursons and repco are the go most of the time there trained in automotive spare parts or are retired mechanics or at least from some kind of automotive background
Old 25-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #24
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I love listening to the advice given to customers in SC. Personally i like the store, as someone else said its just easy to run in grab something cheap and run out again. Oil, buckets, polishes etc are all good but would not buy any parts from them, filters etc.

Just today i was getting some supply's to clean up the dust over the weekend, next to me was a fairly hot chick wanting to make her car "all shiny". The sales girl gave her a clay kit and a fairly harsh cutting compound. Completley oblivious they both nodded and off she went. The results may be amusing though.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #25
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I believe that advice is better sought from a person with the technical aptitude or the relevant technical data, rather than some of the 16 year old casuals at a superbarn.
Mate you just did it again. I'm 19 now, ive worked in retail since i was 15 and i know a hell of a lot more then most of the oldies i work with. Guess what... im still casual :
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #26
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercheap is ok. Good variety of stuff to buy. Nice price. Today bought an organiser for the back of the car for my 8 year old as well as a couple of other travel things we need. Picked up a couple of other generic things that super cheap seem to have stock.

I don't mind shopping there. 90% of the time I get the things I need and staff are always helpful.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You may aswell go down to your local primary school and ask around in the playground if your going to go to Super cheap for car advice. Probably be about the same.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #28
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You cant expect to have automotive gurus when they are paid peanuts
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #29
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

i love my local supercheap, they always employ wicked hotties and they usually have the random crap i'm after.
Old 25-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #30
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70caprigt3k
i love my local supercheap, they always employ wicked hotties and they usually have the random crap i'm after.
Yeah i agree mate, i only go there for that type of junk. And most of the gals are pretty good looking to boot. Guess thats why they employ em to people like you and me go there :