Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Default GM caprice cop car is faster....because they ignored the ford PI LOL

http://jalopnik.com/5644254/gm-claim...-ignoring-ford

Basically because the ford PI is a year away from production they have said that the caprice is faster...typical GM head in the sand mentality

Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Gm is a joke. Typical propaganda and not much substance. Refuse to admit to facts and selectively pick and choose criteria to ensure victory. It's no wonder John Z Delorean came from their ranks; he may have been far too ethical for them.
I'll wager that if his stainless steel DMC12 POS was a time machine, the British government might go back in time to get some of their money back.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Ive read the whole article now. he chevy is indeed a tiny bit faster o-60 and quarter mile but the PI walks around it on the track. I get the feeling though that GM and Ford arent giving the cops what they want. A utalitarian rwd V8 thats robust and easy to repair. I get the feeling that although the ford and chev may pick up a few sales here and there the DOdge will get the gong in most cases.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

compared to other companies, GM comes across as an underhanded sort of company.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see the Caprice catching the Taurus SHO on an icy freeway with heavy winds... hmmm not going to happen. The Charger AWD Hemi would also be a nice weapon on the highway.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Wow, if only articles here in Australia were that unbiased. If it were carsguide or the like, it would just read:

"GM Caprice Police car bestest in the whole world. Nuffink else comes closer. All hail Mightee General Motors."

(Yes a bit of an exaggeration, but i made my point)
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The PI is a Taurus right? Maybe you need to consider that this is really only full-sized cars, hence why it's a Caprice participating and not a Commodore .. hence why GM dismissed the midsized Ford as a competitor.

Have any police departments in the US actually purchased the PI yet? Might be a hard sell as most American police departments seem fixated on larger vehicles.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

GoAuto referred to the Ford car as "the 2011 PI" but their article contains none of this crap about GM "winning" any "contest".

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
The PI is a Taurus right? Maybe you need to consider that this is really only full-sized cars, hence why it's a Caprice participating and not a Commodore .. hence why GM dismissed the midsized Ford as a competitor.
a) There is no police pack Commodore GM could compare for the US

b) Taurus is very far from midsize. Its almost 2 tonne.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might also be this reason:
Quote:
Ford will take orders from the Crown Vic through March, and won't start building the new Police Interceptor sedan and utility until December 2011. Yet it wanted to take part in the Michigan State Police trials, to give agencies a sneak peak of how well the new models would perform.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Having read the full version of that Jalopnik article, it would seem that the console mounted trans shifter on the Caprice is going to be a deal breaker for quite a number of Police departments.

Surely they could have worked this out - doesn't the base spec Commodore ute come with a column shifter option?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #12
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to note the commodore barely beats the old Crown Vic in the times.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Having read the full version of that Jalopnik article, it would seem that the console mounted trans shifter on the Caprice is going to be a deal breaker for quite a number of Police departments.

Surely they could have worked this out - doesn't the base spec Commodore ute come with a column shifter option?

The ute hasnt had it since VE, and is sorely missed.

The column-shift will be the biggest issue out of everything. I dont think Chevy will have a problem selling Australian made cars as US cop cars, but they will have a big issue selling cars with no column shift.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

wtf is with the yank fascination with column shift? and FWIW, the VS commodores wouldve been the last with column shift, possibly earlier......
Old 25-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
wtf is with the yank fascination with column shift? and FWIW, the VS commodores wouldve been the last with column shift, possibly earlier......
Prob fitting all their gear might cause issues.
Old 25-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #16
Bobman
Regulator

Have to say, the Ford Police Interceptor looks pretty good. More suitable to police work than the longer Caprice I would think. Comes in AWD as well.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/fordpoli...ery/photos/all

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If Holden plough on without a Column shifter for Caprice PPV, they will lose many potential orders.
Ford have gone the distance with Taurus Interceptor and have an interior that works for police
and has local (USA) electronic equipment.

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The news has been quite lite on how the Caprice orders are going. But doesnt look like it will be much. According to the Port, they are expecting 4500 in the first year.

http://benicia.patch.com/articles/co...through-benica

Whereas Carbon Motors say they already have reservations for approx 16000 cars.

http://www.autotalk.com/carbon-motor...s-states-7141/
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
The news has been quite lite on how the Caprice orders are going. But doesnt look like it will be much. According to the Port, they are expecting 4500 in the first year.

http://benicia.patch.com/articles/co...through-benica

Whereas Carbon Motors say they already have reservations for approx 16000 cars.

http://www.autotalk.com/carbon-motor...s-states-7141/
Bob, those figures from carbon Motors are only responses from police officers
saying that they would consider supporting the purchase of a Carbon Motors E7.
There have been no firm orders placed by any Police department, Carbon Motors needs venture capital....

As for Holden's Caprice PPV, at last count Holden had less than 200 orders.
Not saying that won't get much better sales numbers but evidence from USA suggests a big
surge in Crown Victoria sales as PDs begin dumping unloved Chryslers and going back to CVPI.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #20
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
As for Holden's Caprice PPV, at last count Holden had less than 200 orders.
Not saying that won't get much better sales numbers but evidence from USA suggests a big
surge in Crown Victoria sales as PDs begin dumping unloved Chryslers and going back to CVPI.

Where did you get the 200 from JPD. Holden are going to be severly dissapointed if they cant get great numbers, especially with the all money required for engineering the LHD Caprice.

Not to mention the viability of the whole operation if they are booking a car carrier every month, just to take a few hundred cars over. My guess would be that after the carrier dumps off 3000 japanese cars here, it loads up 200 police cars, detours to japan, picks up 2800 japanese cars, and dumps the load in america. Sounds alot like another GM folly.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #21
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
compared to other companies, GM comes across as an underhanded sort of company.
Only GM could produce the Holden blimp which got free publicity at sports events when other companies had to pay for the privelage to appear on TV. That was very underhanded and laws had to be written to prevent repeat offences.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they get more soon.. Holden has just started up the 2nd shift & employed 100 new people this month.. Holden arn't selling that many more Australian built cars at the moment & ford have planned down days too. What are they going to do with all these cars they must be builing with 2 shifts working now?? Hope these orders start coming in soon or they'll be in big trouble..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
As has been said, it is a pain for the cops having a console mount shifter as it takes space that can be used for all the other gear and electronics. We had the same sort of thing with the first Mercedes Sprinter that had a floor mount t bar shifter, prevented the fitment of a console for all the other crap we carry. The later Merc's had a dash mount shifter which was much better for equipment storage.

Quote:
Where did you get the 200 from JPD. Holden are going to be severly dissapointed if they cant get great numbers, especially with the all money required for engineering the LHD Caprice.
Engineering for LHD would not have been that much, they have been selling LHD commodores and statesman in the Middle East for years. The whole VE range is already engineered for LHD and has been from day 1.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #24
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I hope they get more soon.. Holden has just started up the 2nd shift & employed 100 new people this month.. Holden arn't selling that many more Australian built cars at the moment & ford have planned down days too. What are they going to do with all these cars they must be builing with 2 shifts working now?? Hope these orders start coming in soon or they'll be in big trouble..
Isnt Cruze starting up soon?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'd say the cruze has made the second shift start up more then the Commodore. Holden don't sell enough Commodores anymore to warrant a second shift.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Isnt Cruze starting up soon?
yeah started last month, in dealers around march..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
yeah started last month, in dealers around march..
There are building Cuzre now (November) to send to dealers in March?? I'll admit I know nothing about how building cars works, but that sounds really wrong to me... 5 months from start building to being in dealers?? Where are they going to put all those cars & having cars with a 5 month old build date, before you even start selling??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
There are building Cuzre now (November) to send to dealers in March?? I'll admit I know nothing about how building cars works, but that sounds really wrong to me... 5 months from start building to being in dealers?? Where are they going to put all those cars & having cars with a 5 month old build date, before you even start selling??
13 oct..
quote from GMinsiders andrea grant holden human resource...
the referance is to the stamping of panel, doors, bonets, yada yada...
Quote:
Hi all

To clarify... this event was the opening of the South Body Shop facility, which saw Mike Devereux and our Government colleages push the button to officially start the line.

We've still got a way to go until retail production of Cruze begins - expected timeframe is towards the end of the 1st quarter of 2011.

Thanks to all at GMI for your continued interest in progress on Cruze.

Andrea

and the line workers today

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...15/3066068.htm
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Edit,

Here you go, it was October 20 so nearly a month ago: LINK
Caprice PPV orders have begun but only a few had been received so far. The article gave
a number lower than 200 but also added that Major Police departments like Los Angeles
hadn't placed any orders yet. I'd expect that that lowly 100 number has significantly grown.

LHD Caprice and Commodore were originally developed for Middle East market and then
incrementally adapted to USA specs, I suspect Caprice PPV was an early sales plan revisited
after Pontiac G8 was canceled.

It's very early day yet for the Caprice PPV, it's only fair to just wait a bit and see
what rolls in next year. If there's still only small amounts by March April 2011 then
I'd say the LWB Caprice and Statesman are history in this country.

Last edited by jpd80; 16-11-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
boris

Howz the strong aussie dollar going the effect the cost of the caprice in US?
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post