Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2023, 11:24 PM   #2671
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Tide showing signs of turning in the overall grand scheme of things....

Can confirm that tas is in negative growth...starting to get hanger ons looking for work....no you're not worth a thousand buck a day is my response.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #2672
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Can confirm that tas is in negative growth...starting to get hanger ons looking for work....no you're not worth a thousand buck a day is my response.
While I want no ill for anyone in particular I do hope the housing market cools off a bit more. I noticed ~10% drop in the 800+ range but for my mind Tassie houses generally are still inflated. What makes it hard here is limited supply and trades to build in a hurry.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #2673
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I felt some of the last few years’ huge leap in Tasmanian real estate prices was due to people buying with what I call “tourist eyes”, not really seeing or understanding the base dynamics of its population or seeing the large gaps in infrastructure/services (like the Launceston hospital heliport decommissioning, which is a big and festering issue). That naïve market is bound to correct.

Similarly I expect a fall in Adelaide prices, as there’s not much reason most of it should be dearer than a place like Wagga. A lot of civic amenity that people cite as reasons to live somewhere, they under-use; it’s a mantra of self deception.

A shout-out to Yellow Festiva, I think he darned near picked Sydney’s bottom perfectly and his comments on deposit rates are coming true as well. Not everyone in his position would have chosen to share their insights so freely but I for one have appreciated seeing how well focused they were.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2023, 02:05 PM   #2674
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yellow has been sharing his wisdom for years, not just on the housing market either, he's a legend.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #2675
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
While I want no ill for anyone in particular I do hope the housing market cools off a bit more. I noticed ~10% drop in the 800+ range but for my mind Tassie houses generally are still inflated. What makes it hard here is limited supply and trades to build in a hurry.
Tassie houses....yellow tongue floor, pine frame, colourbond clad ,plaster walls.
aluminium windows.

Most look like bags of dog shyte.

Basically a shed lined and insulated.

And they can't build them quick enough at 2000 bucks a sq metre....and more.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2023, 09:30 PM   #2676
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-...ites/102460298

I’m getting tired of the mantra “housing is a right” coming out of young mouths. In addition to disparaging remarks about “randoms”. Most people are decent and honest, statistics bear it out.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #2677
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

I’m getting tired of the mantra “housing is a right” coming out of young mouths. In addition to disparaging remarks about “randoms”. Most people are decent and honest, statistics bear it out.
Absolutely, you want it, you have to work for it, just like all of us have had to.No one said it was ever going to be easy.It seems a lot want it handed to them on a platter.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #2678
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

It must be the way I read the link but I got the impression, access to affordable housing is a right for renters and buyers.
On renting, I reckon it would be bad enough going through the untrustworthy process of leasing and the way real estate agents treat you these days, let alone needing to, then do a similar thing yourself in interviewing these "randoms" to share with, if in fact you are approved to do so by a landlord.

From the article.....As for buying, she said the only way that would be possible for her was with family help.

"I've heard a lot of people are moving back in with their families just to save up enough to get a deposit," she said.

"That's the situation with me really. To even get a deposit you'd have to not be renting."

Don't think I would want to be in this situation facing young renters or buyers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 09:02 AM   #2679
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
It must be the way I read the link but I got the impression, access to affordable housing is a right for renters and buyers.
On renting, I reckon it would be bad enough going through the untrustworthy process of leasing and the way real estate agents treat you these days, let alone needing to, then do a similar thing yourself in interviewing these "randoms" to share with, if in fact you are approved to do so by a landlord.

From the article.....As for buying, she said the only way that would be possible for her was with family help.

"I've heard a lot of people are moving back in with their families just to save up enough to get a deposit," she said.

"That's the situation with me really. To even get a deposit you'd have to not be renting."

Don't think I would want to be in this situation facing young renters or buyers.
It was no different for my generation, a lot moved in with their in-laws to get the deposit together.Nothing new there.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #2680
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
It was no different for my generation, a lot moved in with their in-laws to get the deposit together.Nothing new there.
Not arguing, We all did that, well I didn't, lived in a converted truck.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 09:22 AM   #2681
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

From the article..........

"Her friend from Sydney, who describes himself as being on a "good income", has also had to move into a bigger share house following his rent going "through the roof".

He's spending about a third of his income on rent."

I would have thought that a 1/3rd was reasonable....so what does he do with the other 2/3rds
Old 12-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #2682
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Except it was different.

Why is it so hard for some to accept that buying a house or renting, is much harder financially these days than ever before,
Old 12-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #2683
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’m not suggesting it isn’t more difficult for many, but I chose to highlight a personal choice some people are making which constrains them further.

Plus the notion of what is a “right”; I absolutely believe everyone should have the right to opportunity - and it is from there, they may find their way into their own place. My personal view is that life is entirely a job of sorts, by work of all facets we sustain ourselves (cf Gen 3:19).

Again to share housing, it’s almost two-three decades’ stale experience but you weren’t subject to the agent's oversight in such a personal way - the lessee was held ultimately responsible by the letting agency.

In Sydney at least, the traffic makes many longer commutes diabolical, this is incredibly wearing. Even if you are to choose a motorbike as a way to speed that up (via lane filtering when cars stationary) the lack of bike awareness makes it genuinely dangerous.
Old 12-06-2023, 10:55 AM   #2684
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In addition to disparaging remarks about “randoms”.
That quote is clickbait... it isnt quoted in the article itself so there's no context attached to it. Plenty of people live in share houses with people other than their friends.

Sharing rooms is unusual for the Aus housing market. These aren't frat boys in a college dorm comedy. These are grown-*** adults in Australia. I'd bristle at that too TBH.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 10:56 AM   #2685
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Except it was different.

Why is it so hard for some to accept that buying a house or renting, is much harder financially these days than ever before,
Why is it different?
I've been through it, my kids been through it and now my grandkids are going through it, don't see any real difference.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 11:02 AM   #2686
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last week (?) on ABC mainstream radio they introduced some bloke as the owner of 78 houses ...
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 11:10 AM   #2687
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
From the article..........

"Her friend from Sydney, who describes himself as being on a "good income", has also had to move into a bigger share house following his rent going "through the roof".

He's spending about a third of his income on rent."

I would have thought that a 1/3rd was reasonable....so what does he do with the other 2/3rds
A fair bit of it would be for food, transport, training and clothing not to mention utilities on the rental.
I couldn't imagine what office workers would have to spend on just clothing alone being an outside mudder.

Old 12-06-2023, 11:11 AM   #2688
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
Last week (?) on ABC mainstream radio they introduced some bloke as the owner of 78 houses ...
was it Joe Hockey ?

2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #2689
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkxlxm View Post
And presumably he's renting them out to people who need rental properties...?
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #2690
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
And presumably he's renting them out to people who need rental properties...?
I thank him for his service or am I in the wrong thread.

4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 01:37 PM   #2691
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there were less people like that bloke buying properties for 'investment' - ie speculation - there would be more houses available to buy for people who want to buy their own home.

When Costello/Howard cut capital gains tax in half that only made it more attractive for the 'investors' - ie speculators - to buy more houses and at the same time it made it more difficult for the person who wanted to buy their one and only home to live in.

If the '78 houses' bloke built those 78 houses he has increased the number of houses available to rent, but I would imagine he has bought pre-existing houses, so he and all the others like him are making it harder for people to buy a house to live in.

I can't remember how close that Costello/Howard decision was to the next election ... it's a dog-eat-dog world.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 01:58 PM   #2692
tbro4123

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
When you want to build and grow, you have got to pay. Wait for the QLDers to start investing in the Olympics, see what happens then.

Sorry mate, but there is no such thing as the "Olympic Games", its all a conspiracy.

It's actually the "Anna Games"!!!!

Your welcome!

Terry
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 02:52 PM   #2693
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
Sorry mate, but there is no such thing as the "Olympic Games", its all a conspiracy.

It's actually the "Anna Games"!!!!

Your welcome!

Terry
Get excited Terry! Mate of mine was on the phone to me when the announcement was made, was crying as this was the "dream come true". Fast forward 2 years, same friend now saying "You can have it..." The reality hitting home when people realise they have to pay for stuff.

And the big migration will come with a cost. Better start raising taxes....

https://au.news.yahoo.com/state-aust...021200120.html

Works out to be about $600k a house. Not bad I suppose.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #2694
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

It is harder for each generation. Adult life is delayed, family formation is pushed back, and those that do get on the property bandwagon are more heavily indebted for longer (into their 50s and beyond) than their grandparents, generating ever more billions in fees and revenue for the banking system. It’s an everything bubble: Housing is just the most obvious indicator.

But then, the younger generations are always an easy mark to criticise: travel, phones and Bernard Salt’s avo on toast comments come to mind. So why do I say its getting harder?

Labour market
- loss of trade training opportunities (CUBBIES not withstanding)
- move to a service economy
- increasing casualization and loss of manufacturing jobs
- more contract and temp jobs

Early adult Debt load
- useless degree almost a pre req
- five figure HECS debts
- loss of the cheap car market with increasing safety features and decreasing user serviceabiliy
- What young white collar earner can afford a used ranger or hilux?

Ongoing immigration
- Each year, Government allows another few hundred thousand people in, some via immigration, some via student visas that stay on after graduation and gain permanent residency. This subsidises housing demand, and prices rise. Bankers lend out ever bigger sums and the circus goes on.

- This constant demand for ever more housing has increased our population by 10 million or so since 1995, keeps builders and unions happy, and makes some well connected very rich indeed. Existing homeowners see their valuations (and their rates) increase year by year, so provided they're in front on the mortgage (or have none at all), they're mostly happy.

Cumulative inflation
- if our money wasn't constantly being devalued, we wouldn't see people speculating in assets, trying to get ahead. People speculate in investment housing because its been pretty much a sure thing, since 2001 and capital gains tax changes.

- People speculate because our money is being devalued, and we're always told that a little inflation is a good thing. Except CPI constantly undercuts the true rate of inflation, and understates how much purchasing power is lost each year. Inflation is cumulative. And those few million underemployed in the casual labour market (aka Roy Morgan stats) won’t appreciate their costs going up in double digits each and every year.

- An economy with a sound currency should be producing gentle deflation, which means gradually increasing purchasing power. This means that saving is worthwhile, which we simply can’t have. Plus, the money supply is not easily expanded, as is needed in times of war, and it looks like we may be at that time again.

Constantly in debt throughout adulthood, with less opportunity, our money losing value, and working to pay interest to faceless bankers sounds like slavery to me. Is this what we want for our next generations?

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 08:14 PM   #2695
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
It is harder for each generation. Adult life is delayed, family formation is pushed back, and those that do get on the property bandwagon are more heavily indebted for longer (into their 50s and beyond) than their grandparents, generating ever more billions in fees and revenue for the banking system. It’s an everything bubble: Housing is just the most obvious indicator.

But then, the younger generations are always an easy mark to criticise: travel, phones and Bernard Salt’s avo on toast comments come to mind. So why do I say its getting harder?

Labour market
-loss of trade training opportunities (CUBBIES not withstanding)
-move to a service economy
-increasing casualization and loss of manufacturing jobs
-more contract and temp jobs

Early adult Debt load
-useless degree almost a pre req
-five figure HECS debts
-loss of the cheap car market with increasing safety features and decreasing user serviceabiliy
-What young white collar earner can afford a used ranger or hilux?

Ongoing immigration
-Each year, Government allows another few hundred thousand people in, some via immigration, some via student visas that stay on after graduation and gain permanent residency. This subsidises housing demand, and prices rise. Bankers lend out ever bigger sums and the circus goes on.

-This constant demand for ever more housing has increased our population by 10 million or so since 1995, keeps builders and unions happy, and makes some well connected very rich indeed. Existing homeowners see their valuations (and their rates) increase year by year, so provided they're in front on the mortgage (or have none at all), they're mostly happy.

Cumulative inflation
-if our money wasn't constantly being devalued, we wouldn't see people speculating in assets, trying to get ahead. People speculate in investment housing because its been pretty much a sure thing, since 2001 and capital gains tax changes.

-People speculate because our money is being devalued, and we're always told that a little inflation is a good thing. Except CPI constantly undercuts the true rate of inflation, and understates how much purchasing power is lost each year. Inflation is cumulative. And those few million underemployed in the casual labour market (aka Roy Morgan stats) won’t appreciate their costs going up in double digits each and every year.

-An economy with a sound currency should be producing gentle deflation, which means gradually increasing purchasing power. This means that saving is worthwhile, which we simply can’t have. Plus, the money supply is not easily expanded, as is needed in times of war, and it looks like we may be at that time again.

Constantly in debt throughout adulthood, with less opportunity, our money losing value, and working to pay interest to faceless bankers sounds like slavery to me. Is this what we want for our next generations?

Too many subjective propositions there with no factual references.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2023, 08:49 PM   #2696
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

https://www.thatslife.com.au/

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 12:06 AM   #2697
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Why is it different?
I've been through it, my kids been through it and now my grandkids are going through it, don't see any real difference.
That you don’t understand it is a shocking reflection of our education systems teaching of Maths. .
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #2698
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
That you don’t understand it is a shocking reflection of our education systems teaching of Maths. .
My maths is good but the person who stated his remark will say I'm just a baby boomer who has had it too good.
Just because my opinion is different does not mean it is wrong, no need to put people down.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #2699
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
My maths is good but the person who stated his remark will say I'm just a baby boomer who has had it too good.
Just because my opinion is different does not mean it is wrong, no need to put people down.

Cheers
Maybe go back and read post# 2662.

I've never said boomers, or any earlier generation, had it easy or 'too good'.

The facts don't lie though. House prices have risen much much higher than what wages have over the same period. There's a myriad of other financial differences also but they all point to the same thing.

Financially, it's more difficult now.
Old 17-06-2023, 11:14 PM   #2700
zilo
BANNED

ANZ raises mortgage rates out of the RBA cycle by 60 basis points.

It's over 6% for almost any mortgage.

wow....how does anyone pay a 700k mortgage now?

2 users like this post: