Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #1
64xm

Default tig welders

Hey guys lookin to buy a tig under $2000.
Wondering what you guys are using and have found worth buying.
I have been looking at the uni tig 200amp ac/dc does anyone have one?
Cheers
Brendan
64xm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Timbo_021

Default Re: tig welders

I run a Token Tools pulse ac dc. It welds pretty nice, although I haven't used to many other machines.. One thing I don't like is the trigger is too big and bulky. Everything is adjustable though except preflow, but that's no big deal I think.
Timbo_021 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_021 View Post
I run a Token Tools pulse ac dc. It welds pretty nice, although I haven't used to many other machines.. One thing I don't like is the trigger is too big and bulky. Everything is adjustable though except preflow, but that's no big deal I think.
Thanks timbo ill check that one out.
How many amps is the machine you have?
Do you have a foot pedal?
Have you done much aluminium with it?
Thanks
Brendan
Old 04-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #4
Timbo_021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64xm View Post
Thanks timbo ill check that one out.
How many amps is the machine you have?
Do you have a foot pedal?
Have you done much aluminium with it?
Thanks
Brendan
200 amps max. Got a pedal with it, works very well. Have done a fair bit of aluminium now, almost laying dimes like a pro :p. Think it cost 1400 with 3 year warranty. I also got 4 metre leads, comes in handy when doing big pieces.
Timbo_021 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo_021 View Post
200 amps max. Got a pedal with it, works very well. Have done a fair bit of aluminium now, almost laying dimes like a pro :p. Think it cost 1400 with 3 year warranty. I also got 4 metre leads, comes in handy when doing big pieces.

Checked out their website.
Theres an 8m lead option which I like and you can also get a 5yr warranty.
Did someone recommend this machine to you or did you just see it and go thats what I want?
I think ive nailed it down to these 2 machines they both seem better than the uni mig and others around the same price range.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 PM   #6
zilo
BANNED

I bought a Chinese one and it works fine.

Just waaaaay too many features for what i wanted.

Cost was $1350 with a box of rods, bits etc.

Then there is the half size argon gas...from SupaGas..hundred bucks extra.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 12:06 AM   #7
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I bought a Chinese one and it works fine.

Just waaaaay too many features for what i wanted.

Cost was $1350 with a box of rods, bits etc.

Then there is the half size argon gas...from SupaGas..hundred bucks extra.
Thanks mate I get gas for free and most other parts to like collets tungstens and stuff.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Great topic , on my "TO DO " list
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
Great topic , on my "TO DO " list
Yeah ive got a dc scratch starter and a 250 amp mig but I want a bit nicer machine to use. I'd love a higher end machine but I cant justify the cost for the amount of use its going to get.
I thought about getting a decent dc high frequency 200 amp tig but I will eventually regret it and fall into buying an ac aswell so mays well get one now.

The uni tigs have a 3 year warranty which sort of tells me they back their product or they plan on them being for mostly backyard users or figure people cbf following up on the warranties
Old 04-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Everlast 230ex is just over 2k(comes with pedal reg and starter kit)and has every bell and whistle, a bit dearer than the unimig but comes with a 5yr warranty and have pretty good after sales back up.

Me I have a 210ext and matching water cooler... green is nice

Dont waste your time with anything less than a "E" sized argon bottle, they use more per length of weld compared to mig(not crazy amounts just a bit more due to the speed/time to do the weld)

Last edited by XP6; 04-04-2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added in link
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Everlast 230ex is just over 2k(comes with pedal reg and starter kit)and has every bell and whistle, a bit dearer than the unimig but comes with a 5yr warranty and have pretty good after sales back up.

Me I have a 210ext and matching water cooler... green is nice

Dont waste your time with anything less than a "E" sized argon bottle, they use more per length of weld compared to mig(not crazy amounts just a bit more due to the speed/time to do the weld)
Hi mate have you had your welder very long?
Are you using it for work or just hobby use?
5yr warranty is good
Thanks ill check them out.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 AM   #12
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Only had mine since late last year just on my 3rd bot of gas, cant fault it yet.
Have managed to weld 6mm aluminum with it pretty easily... its the thin stuff im having trouble with.
TIG's are very versatile compared to mig/stick but the learning curve can be pretty full on, it woukd be good to have a teacher but I live in a regional town and the tafe here isnt focused on hands on stuff anymore... but hell if you want to learn how to do a spread sheet yer in luck :(
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
64xm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
Only had mine since late last year just on my 3rd bot of gas, cant fault it yet.
Have managed to weld 6mm aluminum with it pretty easily... its the thin stuff im having trouble with.
TIG's are very versatile compared to mig/stick but the learning curve can be pretty full on, it woukd be good to have a teacher but I live in a regional town and the tafe here isnt focused on hands on stuff anymore... but hell if you want to learn how to do a spread sheet yer in luck :(
keep at it mate. Have you checked out weldingtipsandtricks.com

I tig weld stainless most days of the week and all the teachers always used to say anyone can weld the thick stuff.

You gotta keep your gaps tight. You want to aim to always be able to fuse them together unlike a mig where you can have a big gap and get away with it. Tig is a lot more prep work to make it easier. Keep your tungsten sharp to a point for mild and stainless. Or rounded for aluminium.

Those machines look good too wish I could have a shot on both machines haha ahwell ill bite the bullet on one of them