Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Rent is dead money. Or is it ?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-...-1226883685358

Old 14-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rent is dead money. Or is it ?

I built a house, starting when I was 25. My thoughts is I should have it paid off before I'm 50 all things going well, leaving me to save for retirement (if retirement still exists by that time).
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
This user likes this post:
Old 14-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

its a bit misleading...
It is still supporting the notion that buying your own property (whether you live in it or rent it out) is the way to go, and it is.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Choosing how you live (rent vs paying off to own) does not always come down to the best option for your back pocket.

It's whatever makes you happy.

Everyone knows that it can be financially 'smarter' to buy a demo or a 1yr old car. But some just love the fact they are the first owner and are willing to pay the premium for that 'new car' smell.

In some instances rent may be a better option financially than buying. Having said that, you can show me all the charts and graphs in the world that tell me renting may be better but I will still be paying off a mortgage, even if it means I'm greatly worse off financially.

Why? Makes me happy, allows me to sleep better at night.

Being from old school wog stock it's a pride / security thing as well. No mongrel has the right to knock on my door and move me on.

And that, is bloody priceless in my books.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 14-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #5
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Renting allows you to move on much much easier then owning/mortgage. Also generally rent is cheaper then mortgage payments.
To me having my own place albeit with a mortgage allows savings in the form of collateral from your mortgage payments as well as capital gain from the appreciation over the years provided you get a good cycle and the ecomany is healthy. Downside of owning is being financially responsible for maintenance and repairs.
Each to their own.
Old 14-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #6
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Alternative: don't read single (and highly precise) scenarios that would apply to a poofteenth of the population and do what makes you happy.

My sister and her partner are 33 and 36, they're happy renting forever. They've been in the same place for years.
I'm 28 and want to own a place by the time I'm thirty. But that's because I'm rental cursed and hate moving around.
It's not about what's right financially. It's about what's right with all factors included.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Old 15-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Choosing how you live (rent vs paying off to own) does not always come down to the best option for your back pocket.

Everyone knows that it can be financially 'smarter' to buy a demo or a 1yr old car. But some just love the fact they are the first owner and are willing to pay the premium for that 'new car' smell.

In some instances rent may be a better option financially than buying. Having said that, you can show me all the charts and graphs in the world that tell me renting may be better but I will still be paying off a mortgage, even if it means I'm greatly worse off financially.

Being from old school wog stock it's a pride / security thing as well. No mongrel has the right to knock on my door and move me on.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It might cost more per week to pay my mortgage right now, but by age 40 I want my house to be paid off, then my weekly payments will be $0.
Yes land rates, and maintenance still need to be paid. But I just cannot wait till I have a house that is mine and no one can take from me.
I don't really like moving very often. Once I get my dream house hopefully within a few years, I will be happy there for 20+ years.

Plus does anybody want to be a retired 70 year old who has to pay $400 a week in rent?
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #8
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't read the article but based on my workings I can afford to rent a much nicer place in abetter location then I could afford, someone else is responsible for maintenance.
If I save the money difference between rent and mortgage on an equivalent place, in 30 years over the life of a mortgage I will have saved and earned interest on a lot more than the value of the property would have increased.
The catch is saving that money and not spending it. A mortgage is forced 'savings' for the undisciplined.
I have bought as I want to add value through modification.

JP
Old 15-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

I bet you loved the movie "The Castle" then.........
Old 15-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I bet you loved the movie "The Castle" then.........
LOL, was thinking to myself that this reference would be made by post #10

Loved the movie, and the fact he kept his house

Wonder how it would have ended if Mr Kerrigan was a tenant????

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 15-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
pbk1776
00XR00

Having a mortgage should not be feared by anyone - end of the day - property value goes up and you will never lose.
Old 15-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

Being from old school wog stock
it's a pride / security thing as well. No mongrel has the right to knock on my door and move me on.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 15-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't want to be renting when I'm 70 so..
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
zilo
BANNED

buying a house is fine as long as you aren't too precious about your ego.

buy a small house that you can pay off without relying on it going up in value.

stuff the theatre room, the spa, the fancy taps.

just buy the minimum to stop paying rent and get rid of the bank ASAP.

otherwise you are just still paying rent...disguised as "repayments"
Old 15-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #15
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldn't sleep at night knowing my hard work and labour was paying off someone else's mortgage creating wealth for them, and not for me. I bought my first home when I was 22. I'm now 42, own my own home and would not have it any other way.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

You know what I think...

I think its wonderful that this subject can now be discussed without all the BS directed towards renters.
5 years ago it would be 20 pages of **** slinging about why 'the best time to buy your first property was yesterday' etc. etc. and anything less is certain to see you a busted **** pensioner living in housing commission @70, and considered a leper.

It would appear that people are accepting that renting isn't as bad as its made out to be and comes down to personal choice and not a measure of financial status or image defining.

Most neighbourhoods needs a mix of each.
Owners who take pride in their properties and set the standard, investors to provide accommodation for renters and renters who pay investors.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Benefits for both as well as negatives.

I guess it really comes down to your priorities in life, and where you want to be. Mine involves bundaberg rum, the beach and a tropical backdrop. A few bikes and cars thrown in for good measure.
Old 15-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
Having a mortgage should not be feared by anyone - end of the day - property value goes up and you will never lose.
It's like anything, it depends how long you hold onto it, long term you usually can't go wrong. I'm an Estate Agent and i've seen plenty of people losing money buying and selling. The usual problem I find is young couples deciding to re finance within a couple of years of home ownership.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Old 15-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #19
BHDOGS
Banned

Buying a house is fine and watching it go up in value is fantastic but if you cant afford to buy a house it doesnt really matter either way. Lets me honest i doubt any 22 year old could afford to get a mortage for a 300,000 house these days. Reminds me of my father in law buy a house buy a house always ****ing in my ear thats good you paid 50grand for your 350,000 house you now live in find me one for 100,000 and ill buy it till then its someone else mortgage i gotta pay.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rented a house for a little over 2 years. Although it provided a roof over our heads, there was never any full security, the owns could of sold up at any time. My neighbour rents his place and in the time I have lived next door to him (4.5 years) he has seen the house sell twice. Luckily he maintains the place as if it was his and the new owners kept it as an investment property, but even he says he must have a plan B at all times incase of a sudden change in the market.

In the 2 years I rented I paid a little under $40K off someone else's mortgage. I'm grateful I had a roof over my head but that $40K would of taken a nice slice out of my current mortgage
Old 15-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

ok i have over 600 000 in equity in good ol sydneys west , and still have a mortgage , and i'm not happy about it cause im 45 , and will have a mortgage for 5 more years, my house is 14 years old , we built it . it is starting to age , it needs new carpet , the timber floor could be replaced . the bathroom and kitchen arent new anymore , the roof tiles are aging and the driveway wont last forever , nor the retaining walls . but i'm supposedly infront cause i have equity , and thats true
but where do i buy , if i sell and buy ? the relestate agend will take a good 25g , then i will pay stamp duty on the next purchase . will i then be debt free ?
if i buy an older house will it need renovating , we all know the answer .
i have a friend age 37 , who bought a unit 6 years ago , he also owns a bike , a brand new xr6 , and recently gopt married and now has 2 baby children . his wedding cost 60k , his car was a ute , he borrowed against the unit top buy it then sold it and got the xr6 . then when the 2nd child came along . realised he needs a house . doing sums he had 20k equity . he looked around for the cheapest houses in sydney and at best was looking at a 400k mortgage , and a wife who cant work cause childcare takes her wage . this guy wanted to see the world so did . 3 times , how else would you ever do it without having a job and paying for the trip . nothing wrong with that .
he just sold and is now renting a house .
dont call him a dill , cause i dont think he is , he couldve just slogged away trying to pay off a house for 40 years since age 22 if he'd wanted

Last edited by gtfpv; 15-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't even know if I'll own a house, I want to get a nice 5th wheeler caravan and a rural property as a base.

Cause when it all turns to **** for me I can move on easily.

Not keen on owing the bank any money, because you become a slave to your employer for the next 30 years, I'm an opinionated guy and if I don't like something I say it how it is, so hell if I'm ever going to be held hostage by an employer and a bank.
Old 15-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
drew1491
290 BF XR8

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on coli-over installation. 

I'm in the process of buying my first house now, I'm 23, I've rented in the past (in 2 different houses/situations), it sucked and I don't want to do it again.
I can't afford to do it on my own so I am buying it with a close family member who will also live in it, the way I see it is even if we live in it for 3-5 years then sell and buy something else its a great start.

The minimum payments on the mortgage will be the same as I was paying in rent in my last house, pretty much a no brainer.

BF XR8 in Bionic
Back burner for now

NL Pajero

Camping/adventuring vehicle
Faded paint and smells funky

Honda CBR 300R
Daily
Old 15-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #24
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Renting is up to anyone who cannot afford to buy otherwise and doesnt want to be tied down to a mortgage for 30years. Personally for me, I'd prefer to own my own home and have it paid before Im 40. I have been lucky and blessed enough to be able to take advantage of some good fortune and am on the verge of paying my house off hopefully within 3 years if all goes to plan.

Its not easy but I think if you are dedicated and controlled with your spending, live within your means, you CAN get into the buying game.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

knock a shazza up

get cheap house for life

straya
7 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 03:48 AM   #26
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
Buying a house is fine and watching it go up in value is fantastic but if you cant afford to buy a house it doesnt really matter either way. Lets me honest i doubt any 22 year old could afford to get a mortage for a 300,000 house these days. Reminds me of my father in law buy a house buy a house always ****ing in my ear thats good you paid 50grand for your 350,000 house you now live in find me one for 100,000 and ill buy it till then its someone else mortgage i gotta pay.
Not true, plenty of young guys earning big money over here in WA. My boy just bought a house. 300K, your dreaming , what house can you by for that.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 16-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Radelaide you can get plenty of live able places for $300k

we even got electricity now
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #28
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Not true, plenty of young guys earning big money over here in WA. My boy just bought a house. 300K, your dreaming , what house can you by for that.
A few FIFO boys are onto a good thing. Fly up to Mackay region for work earning good money, then fly back to home where the house prices are/were cheaper.
One of the guys at work is a bit younger then me. Maybe 24?, he has worked in the mines for a few years, bought a house in Ipswich not long after starting and he will have it paid off in no time. Does a few days overtime and doesnt have any expensive hobbies, no partner, no children.

Even in Mackay the house prices have dropped, some new houses are below build price.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 16-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #29
pbk1776
00XR00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
It's like anything, it depends how long you hold onto it, long term you usually can't go wrong. I'm an Estate Agent and i've seen plenty of people losing money buying and selling. The usual problem I find is young couples deciding to re finance within a couple of years of home ownership.
That's right - we bought our first place 2 years ago - from my parent's investment property. So we're cheering
now because the equity gone up - we are thinking of getting another as an investment for the kids.
Old 16-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #30
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbk1776 View Post
Can I just say to people that the above is definitely not true. Always research your purchase as best you can.

Prices have risen in Oz for a long time (for a number of reasons) but past behaviour isn't always indicative of future behaviour.
Closed Thread