Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Default What do Aussies know of the 427 Cammer??

I was having a conversation with a friend about the 427 SOHC "Cammer" Ford engines from 1964-5. I was wondering what Aussies know about this engine and if any ever made it over there? Also, is there any desire for this engine there, especially since there are a few places making new bits?

Thanks for any insight that you can impart on this.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Mr X
mustang pilot

Never made it here.I read somewhere that it was the most powerful Detroit V8 ever built-not sure if thats true.Its an awesome looking thing though.

http://www.supermotors.net/articles/...sue01-a2-1.php

http://phystutor.tripod.com/stang/engines/427sohc.html

Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It never officially made it over here, but there was one in a mk1 Cortina drag car. Australian Muscle Car mag did a story on the Cammer IIRC, and also i think there is a guy in western NSW who is making alloy cammer blocks too.....
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Any ford fan worth his salt should be lusting(in vain) for one of these. There's a bloke somewhere in aus who's recreating them but you need some sort of massive income/lotto win to afford one. All I know of them is it's a SOHC mid 60's V8, big cube, 400kw+ ball-tearer, commissioned by Henry Ford II to defeat the chrylser hemi426. Given an unlimited budget, fords design team created the motor affectionatly known as the "cammer", but it was banned before it could be used in racing. Since then it's been a "holy Grail" of ford motors..
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

...only that I want one for my XB... :evil3:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I tell a lie, it was used once in NASCAR before it was outlawed. Just read the quoted power figures:616hp and 657hp with single 4 barrel and twin 4 barrel carburettors respectively.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
damoose

Seen a picture of one of these once
the cam chain or belt (cant remember)
must have been a nightmare as it was so bloody long.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Assassinbm

I vaguely remember reading somwhere years ago the timing chain was about 6 feet long.......
Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

certainly looks big enough to pull a tank :P. Anyone know which magazine had that article? i've got it around my house somewhere - i remember reading it with my mouth wide open lol

nvm i found scans of it

http://www.supermotors.net/articles/...sue01-a2-1.php
some really good info purely on the engine itself..

Last edited by Fev; 10-08-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Correct, 6 feet long, it created problems when high revving, and it was hard to tune or get good timing from it. it also had a system of idlers that was pretty complicated and "probably" prone to breaking down.
the motor is based off the FE sideoiler but houses SOHC heads and has the oil journals for the centrifugal cam in the block plugged up and in place is an idler driving one timing chaning and another chain running off the idler driving the cams. I believe the oiling system oils the crank first and the cam and drivetrain second. not sure, i know the FE sideoiler oils lower sections of the engine block before anything else(and there is a topoiler of similar block design too?) but the cammer i dont know if it was changed to facilitate the SOHC heads.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Is that the same engine thats was put in Bill Bourkes XW?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
fat289
fat289

There's 1 going to be running at the Muscle Car masters in a factory lightweight Galaxy this year in Apendix J
Just under gone a groundup rebuild , last time it raced it was at Sandown before the mods to turn 2 were done - man tyre smoke everywhere
Wagga car

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Is that the same engine thats was put in Bill Bourkes XW?
No, that was a regular 428 Cobra Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat289
There's 1 going to be running at the Muscle Car masters in a factory lightweight Galaxy this year in Apendix J
Just under gone a groundup rebuild , last time it raced it was at Sandown before the mods to turn 2 were done - man tyre smoke everywhere
Wagga car
If its the car I'm hopefully thinking of, its one hell of a car. Bloody loud to!
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

there is 3 in Australia, the Bowdens there is one in a 34 hi boy and 3rd is somewhere...?

427 is an impressive motor, its a shame NASCAR killed it. Imagine if it was developed more.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

Read an article in a magazine about the cammer a few years back, can't remember all the details.
A couple of things I do remember though, Ford built about 30, 2 door fairlanes fitted with them, (along with 'glass fronts) for drag racers. They were called Thunderbolts, and apparently good for 11sec. quarters out of the box.
Ford also built a couple of altered wheel base '65 mustangs and fitted them with cammers to do the rounds of the drags as promo cars.
Ford also had the engine available as a crate motor in the mid 60's (if you knew the right person), for about $3,000 (alot of money back then, you could buy a new Mustang for $2,500).
As far as Aussie cammers go, I know the Pirotta brothers had a chopped Cortina drag car fitted with one, although I haven't seen or heard of it since the mid 80's.
427 Cammer, 7 litres, 700 horses, at 7000RPM.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The motors where available from ford spare parts for around 2,300-3,000$ which came as a complete crate engine, not sure on transmissions though. The altereds where mustang show/drag cars that I "think" where sold as per NASCAR rules and regs, something to do with the fact that for a car to compete in whatever race, the car or engine package had to have been available(as it was in the racecars) on the street for the public. Can anyone shed more light on that aspect?
As for the engine itself, there where several variants of it, the cammer being the most sought after, but essentially based off the same block as the sideoiler FE, which was a good performer in NASCAR until the hemi 426 stormed in, prompting ford to manufacture the cammer. It's also interesting that the engines real CUI capacity is only 425.1 cubic inches, it was called the 427 as that was the maximum engine size NASCAR allowed.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

ooopppss i wet my self again
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I remember one running around Melbourne in a tough 32 or 34 coupe in the very early eighties...
And It WAS a cammer.. trust me!... At the time I had a side oiler with tunnel port heads that was going in a cusso... And I was simply in awe when the thing took off down Epsom Rd... A note like no other!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )

Last edited by Charliewool; 10-08-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome engine.

Just like the chrysler HEMI, Nascar killed the fun for another good motor...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
Pistol
pistol

Joe Pirotta used to own a 64 cortina with a blown crammer making over 1000 horse power and for many year's this car ran 8's with factory leaf rear spring's it was only a few year's ago they put in a full link rear end raced it once or twice then put it away . allthough i did hear through the traps they sold the car less eng
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

They also use/used these and the other FE engines in top fuel racing I think. Not sure if I'm correct, I could be talking about something else.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #23
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

They could be brought as a 'crate motor' from a ford dealer as indicated above. They were a true hemispherical head arrangement & were delivered complete along with cast iron headers, and delivered 600HP on Super petrol. This is how ford achieved homoligation for racing.

The engine raced for two years and swept the field and it was then factored out of contention to maintain some competitiveness with GM and Mopar.

The big issue was degreeing the cams due to variable stretch in the six foot long timing chain over the rev range.

This motor along with the DOHC & the 429 Shotgun were fords killer engines of the 1960's.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Man
Read an article in a magazine about the cammer a few years back, can't remember all the details.
A couple of things I do remember though, Ford built about 30, 2 door fairlanes fitted with them, (along with 'glass fronts) for drag racers. They were called Thunderbolts, and apparently good for 11sec. quarters out of the box.
Ford also built a couple of altered wheel base '65 mustangs and fitted them with cammers to do the rounds of the drags as promo cars.
Ford also had the engine available as a crate motor in the mid 60's (if you knew the right person), for about $3,000 (alot of money back then, you could buy a new Mustang for $2,500).
As far as Aussie cammers go, I know the Pirotta brothers had a chopped Cortina drag car fitted with one, although I haven't seen or heard of it since the mid 80's.
427 Cammer, 7 litres, 700 horses, at 7000RPM.
I thought the Fairlane Thunderbolt was fitted with a normal 427, not a cammer.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #25
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.allford.net.au/

eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #26
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Good to hear this engine is known over there.

I've read a number of sources of info on this and it seems the most popular contention is that the engine never raced in NASCAR. When Chrysler got wind of what Ford had built they complained to NASCAR saying that if the Ford engine was allowed to run they would pull Chrysler products from NASCAR, which at the time were riding a wave of awe due to the dominance of the 426 Hemi. Without the Hemi for the Ford to eat up it would seem like the Cammer eating the rest of the field would be no comparison and not an interesting race.

Bascially after that it was sold as a crate engine for Drag racing.

As for the long chain issues, there were some kinds of guides in specific places along the chain travel that were there solely to control "chain whip".

I had never heard this engine brought up here before and didn't find any topics about it while doing a search on the forum so I didn't know if anyone even knew about it there or if an engine ever even made it to Oz. Nice to hear it's legend has not been bound by the pond. Even cooler that someone there is reproducing them.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #27
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

triple 7's 777! i pretty much read buy everything i find with these things in them

how about the 494 can am engine any info on that one ??

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I thought the Fairlane Thunderbolt was fitted with a normal 427, not a cammer.
Sorry, you're right, went and looked up another article, apparenty they only built one with a cammer, the rest were all 425 horse, 427's. Still fairly cool though!
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #29
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

The normal 427 runs a normal pushrod setup, the cammer uses two chains, one from crank to idler, the other chain running off a smaller gear from idler and around to the cams. The blocks where the same so as to keep costs down, but oil journals and other bits and bobs where altered. These are the differences that must be made to turn sideoiling FE into SOHC FE, so no easy task by any stretch of the imagination.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #30
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Just noticed the cammer pics with belt rather than chain setup, and one less idler(right hand cylinder bank) wonder how much work was involved in removing internal chain and idlers etc?
Game. Reinvented.