Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 
Default Driving from Sydney to Melb, Road conditions?...

Hey guys

Going from Sydney to Melbourne tomorrow, and just wondering if anyone know's the road condition's on the Hume Hwy?

Also, what is there to do in a day in Melbourne (except try not to get defected, )?...

I'll more than likely be down towards Mornington Peninsula way, so any idea's on a few good places to visit would be nice...

Unfortunately GOR (Great Ocean Road) is out of the idea's though, haha....

Old 30-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Default Re: Driving from Sydney to Melb, Road conditions?...

Are you going to be in melbourne friday night..?

Could come to this..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319030

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Boring roads, speed cameras, average speed point to point cameras, aerial enforcment.... have fun!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Stick to the main highways and you will be fine ... roads are better in Vic .. and the speed cameras are more plentiful as well.

Some of the Hume drops from highway speed to 60km/h without warning in small towns. There are a couple of rough patches here and there ... but nothing like Sydney's roads though.

Are you driving yourself ... or someone else driving???
I'd say about 12 hours for you ... inc. stops.
The Albury bypass saves a bit of time now as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Stick to the main highways and you will be fine ... roads are better in Vic .. and the speed cameras are more plentiful as well.

Some of the Hume drops from highway speed to 60km/h without warning in small towns. There are a couple of rough patches here and there ... but nothing like Sydney's roads though.

Are you driving yourself ... or someone else driving???
I'd say about 12 hours for you ... inc. stops.
The Albury bypass saves a bit of time now as well.

Me and my dad will be swapping driving shifts on the way down, then I'll be driving back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
Are you going to be in melbourne friday night..?

Could come to this..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319030

Epic interested, and yes, I will be in Vic Friday night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Boring roads, speed cameras, average speed point to point cameras, aerial enforcment.... have fun!

Lol Mike...
Old 30-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Victorian side of the Hume is pretty good, a pretty easy drive really. No effort required there. Once you pass Seymour/Nagambie (or rather, the Seymour and Nagambie turn offs, I should say) there are a fair few cameras though, they're mounted every 5km as you get closer to the city and as mentioned, they're average speed so stick to 110 and you will be just fine. They like to flash too, without actually booking you. I think you'll find it relatively easy to get around Melb in comparison to Sydney. Watch for trams and hook turns!
Old 30-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Stick to the main highways and you will be fined ... roads are better in Vic .. and the speed cameras are more plentiful as well.
fixed for you.

if heading down the peninsular go down to Rye, or before you get there try Arthurs Seat, it's one of the best lookouts in the Melbourne-ish region. Most of the towns along the beach in that region are picturesque. If you're going to be in the Melbourne area, try Mt Dandenong (tourist road) i believe there is a $5 fee now which sucks but it's a brilliant lookout.

If no one in the car understands the concept of hook turns, stay clear of the CBD. If travelling on Eastlink, there are many hidden cameras.

Also try Frankston if you'd like to see the latest style of ug boots.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Danny
GT4.

Hume from Melb to Sydney is fantastic. Two lanes all the way, smooth and very comfortable, albeit a little boring. Did the drive myself back in 07 in a Renault Clio Sport, and had a ball, music, driving snacks stopping for a few smokes (back in the day I used to) and taking the scenery in etc. I liked it.

I don't remember having to slow to 60 on the freeway though, I think that the Hume bypasses most towns now.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Hume from Melb to Sydney is fantastic. Two lanes all the way, smooth and very comfortable, albeit a little boring. Did the drive myself back in 07 in a Renault Clio Sport, and had a ball, music, driving snacks stopping for a few smokes (back in the day I used to) and taking the scenery in etc. I liked it.

I don't remember having to slow to 60 on the freeway though, I think that the Hume bypasses most towns now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
fixed for you.

if heading down the peninsular go down to Rye, or before you get there try Arthurs Seat, it's one of the best lookouts in the Melbourne-ish region. Most of the towns along the beach in that region are picturesque. If you're going to be in the Melbourne area, try Mt Dandenong (tourist road) i believe there is a $5 fee now which sucks but it's a brilliant lookout.

If no one in the car understands the concept of hook turns, stay clear of the CBD. If travelling on Eastlink, there are many hidden cameras.

Also try Frankston if you'd like to see the latest style of ug boots.

Cheers guys...

Accomodation is booked (in Dandenong :/), and i'll probably spend Thursday checking out Melbourne, then Friday I'll be attending the Fountain Gate monthly AFF meet, then heading back up to NSW after the meet
Old 31-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny

It's not all freeway from my understanding in NSW ... it can get down to single lane highways for the Hume ... and a couple of small towns to get through. But the remainder is dual carriageway pretty much.

If i had no time constraints ... I'd take the Princes down the coast ... a much nicer drive scenery-wise.
Old 31-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If i had no time constraints ... I'd take the Princes down the coast ... a much nicer drive scenery-wise.
I would say Nepean Hwy as it is closer to the beach. Either way the OP is going to have to go through some annoying traffic to get to Dandenong without going on any of the toll roads (Citilink, Eastlink, Burnley Tunnel).
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm in Dandenong all the time, it's not so bad if you keep your eyes closed..

and yes the Nepean Highway is good for finding nice beaches, but it's one of the worst roads i can think of for traffic
Old 31-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

I've gotta come through Maryborough first, as I'm picking up a gas kit from another forum member...

and I'll have my eTag with me, so toll ways are no worries!...
Old 31-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
I've gotta come through Maryborough first, as I'm picking up a gas kit from another forum member...

and I'll have my eTag with me, so toll ways are no worries!...
in that case just take the Eastern, which turns into Eastlink just before it goes through the tunnel after Springvale rd, and exit in Dandenong. Just be warned that there are 9 speed cameras (in 2 locations) in that journey, virtually impossible to see.
Old 31-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Quote:
in that case just take the Eastern, which turns into Eastlink just before it goes through the tunnel after Springvale rd, and exit in Dandenong. Just be warned that there are 9 speed cameras (in 2 locations) in that journey, virtually impossible to see.

Cheers, I'll be sure to keep those camera's in mind when I'm going past...

Cheers again guys...!!
Old 31-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
I would say Nepean Hwy as it is closer to the beach. Either way the OP is going to have to go through some annoying traffic to get to Dandenong without going on any of the toll roads (Citilink, Eastlink, Burnley Tunnel).

I was meaning from Sydney to Vic though .... I have no idea where the Nepean Hwy is up here ... or if there is one.
Old 31-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #17
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Quote:
I was meaning from Sydney to Vic though .... I have no idea where the Nepean Hwy is up here ... or if there is one.

As far as I know also, there is none in NSW (well, at least from the 'gong up to the Qld/NSW border)...

I'll report back with some pics when I return... Will be good to meet a few aff member's down in Victoria too!
Old 31-08-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
Matty4
Banana

It's an easy drive (if a bit boring).
I did it back in May when I picked up the Volvo from Sydney.
I left Lidcombe at 10.30 and was home by 8.00 that night, with 3 stops for food and fuel.

There are a couple of towns you have to slow down for in NSW (Holbrook and Tarcutta are a couple, but Tarcutta is getting a bypass built ATM). After that though it's divided to the border and then all the way into Melb (and 110km/h zone too!!)

BTW, the speed camera in the Eastlink tunnel is on the uphill stretch, just after the 1km Ringwood bypass exit signs
Old 31-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

school holidays allready??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #20
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I left Lidcombe at 10.30 and was home by 8.00 that night, with 3 stops for food and fuel.

There are a couple of towns you have to slow down for in NSW (Holbrook and Tarcutta are a couple, but Tarcutta is getting a bypass built ATM). After that though it's divided to the border and then all the way into Melb (and 110km/h zone too!!)

BTW, the speed camera in the Eastlink tunnel is on the uphill stretch, just after the 1km Ringwood bypass exit signs

Ah sweet!!... So i'm looking at roughly 11~ish hours from my house - Vic...

Nice and easy.!!

Yeah, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the 60km/h zones along the Hume on the way down....
Old 31-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ohh ok haha we are talking about different Princes . There is one in VIC that goes from Melbourne to Dandenong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon

Yeah, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the 60km/h zones along the Hume on the way down....
No need to keep an eye out once you cross the border.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:

there are six in each direction, and they're on rails so they can be moved to different spots.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
there are six in each direction, and they're on rails so they can be moved to different spots.
What, in the tunnels?
I've been using the tunnels pretty much every day since they opened and since I got done one night when they reduced the speed limit to 60 and I was doing 64 the Infringement notice gave me the exact location of the camera in the tunnel. Since then I always look for it at it hasn't changed its location once. There's no way they could move them to a different location within the tunnels because of all the other overhead equipment, like signage, exhaust fans, fire protection equipment etc.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
What, in the tunnels?
I've been using the tunnels pretty much every day since they opened and since I got done one night when they reduced the speed limit to 60 and I was doing 64 the Infringement notice gave me the exact location of the camera in the tunnel. Since then I always look for it at it hasn't changed its location once. There's no way they could move them to a different location within the tunnels because of all the other overhead equipment, like signage, exhaust fans, fire protection equipment etc.
This email was circulated a few years back, it was claimed to have been written by someone who worked on the road:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude talking about stuff
The locations are as follows :
WELLINGTON ROAD ROWVILLE OVERPASS BRIDGE BOTH DIRECTIONS 6 CAMERAS 3 IN EACH DIRECTION.
These camera's are mounted high up in the honeycomb design of the underbelly and special attention has been given that they not be seen from either direction.

GREENS ROAD DANDENONG OVERPASS BRIDGE BOTH DIRECTIONS 6 CAMERAS 3 IN EACH DIRECTION. Conditions of installation same as above.

EASTLINK TUNNEL RINGWOOD 12 CAMERAS 6 EACH SIDE.
These cameras are located at station box B22 and can move on special slide rails that allow them to be moved forward or backwards between station Box B22 and B35. these are expected to raise the most revenue.

FRANKSTON FREEWAY TO GREENS ROAD OVERPASS DISTANCE 17 STRAIGHT KMS (IDEAL DRAG STRIP).
This area is of major concern for the State Government, at this stage no legislation has been passed for the installation of cameras in either direction until you hit the Green Rd Bridge. Signs have been erected along this 17km strip that indicate 'Speed cameras operate in this area' in both directions but nothing is operating. The Government does not want to project itself as an immediate cash cow and as a result will not introduce them until next year at this stage.They have placed into the road when the bitumen was poured, electronic trackers which are a new system of detection that works like the ones on the Geelong Freeway that measure you by Time Vs Speed.These are still being tested and measured for accuracy and efficiency. It is possible that random mobile units may be deployed or hand held speed guns used as it is feared that this strip has become nick named the Dandy Dragstrip by the road crews.
i can tell you that the mrs has personally (inadvertently) tested the Wellington Rd cameras, they seem to be working just fine
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Cheers guys.... After the EB V8 Wagon blowing smoke just as I was getting onto the freeway, and then turning around (only 5 mins from home thankfully) and getting the EB Fairmont, I have safely made it there and back!!....

Tarcutta and Holbrook actually aren't that bad, as it gave me an excuse to pull over and have a little break