Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #121
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: V8 ranger raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
C'mon fella, you know as well as I do that Ford will initially milk this for everything its worth.
They're the less equals more profits car company, remember.
If true why haven't they said a peep or do they leak something and let social media go wild?

Nothing like a gotta have product, all the better if they do things that maximize profit for them..
I don't believe cutting someone in on the deal is part of the plan.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #122
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Yeah, I reckon they and some others who seem to know everything else which is going on behind the scenes, know exactly whats coming, but are happy to play dumb on this to prevent sales of the 2.0l Raptor from dying off in anticipation.
As I said last week when news first broke, no one will want a 2.0l Raptor if they can get a V8 version, and certainly not if that V8 somehow makes it into initial production and comes in at a slight premium, no, IMO I reckon the cat escaped the bag too soon and this what if, maybe and all the rest is damage control.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #123
Whistlr

Quote:
So its $36k to modify a Mustang and this is a complete transplant which they expect will cost more.
Surely it'll be in the vicinity of 120k plus, even if they give credit for the 2.0l

Now im sure some will think im just kicking Ford here, but if its 120k or up for a Ranger I don't see how its any different to the argument against the Camaro by some who suggest the premium isn't justified when you can just buy a Mustang for 30k less, well, you can get the bigger RAM for 40k less.
I agree.

Whilst some will still order it despite whatever price I don't think it's meant to be something sustainable - just a one-off to send this platform out with a bang.

The next platform will come with a host of turbo petrol engines that will offer similar, or at least decent performance, but, the simplicity, desirability, sound, and presence of a V8 is a bit of an X factor and huge draw-card especially if price is fair.

This could be a toe-in-water exercise. If demand is good one hopes they may consider the V8 for the next gen Ranger Raptor straight from the factory. Or maybe before that, maybe even something with Wild-Track specs with V8? Or maybe this is a precursor for what's to come? I hope so.

The thing is, the Ranger's a vehicle that sells in massive numbers on a global scale so I can't see why they wouldn't include the V8 as a permanent offering in the next gen. The idea of something in this size/class with such a motor wouldn't be a bad idea when forced induction does tend to suck quite a bit under load.

I'm particularly interested in the design of the next Ranger, as leaked by Wheels. The added aggression is even more fitting of an 8.
Whistlr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 02:21 PM   #124
Whistlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
LOL.
There is no marketing, just a rumor.

All i'm saying is that there's a better way than following what everyone else is doing...

This is a limited edition conversion, no one is discussing wider field of competing with F150...
but,
What if the engineering on the next gen T6 allows this to happen....
What if the yanks say yes please to both V8 Bronco and V8 Ranger Raptor.
I hope so. We now know it does fit so it least people can lobby for it.

If we look at the F150 Ecoboost, it has become popular I think mainly because of the perceived fuel savings, but also due to it's loads of torque from very low rpm. As engines become more efficient, as in more power per litre, it's only natural to reduce capacity, which in turn explains why we can extract from a 2.3 what a 6 litre had a decade ago. The US comparisons of the 2.3 Ranger against it's petrol V6-powered competitors show it's the preferred engine.

My point is the need for a V8 is forever diminishing. But it's there, and when it offers something that isn't wanted (and merely not needed) it is a great argument for added value and profits. There's certainly a case for it becoming standardized.

Who knows what is going on at Ford at the moment. The current gen F150 Raptor is rumoured to be getting the Predator V8 from the GT500 as a send off. We see here the current gen Ranger Raptor is getting a V8 as a send off.

The next F150 Raptor was said to be getting a special version of the 7.3 but don't quote me on that... By my estimation it can easily produce enough power in atmo form to rival the Predator V8. Those bore centres allow massive breathing.

So if the normal next gen Rangers are coming with turbo 6s then I'd expect something with a little more poke from the next Raptor.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #125
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistlr View Post
I agree.

Whilst some will still order it despite whatever price I don't think it's meant to be something sustainable - just a one-off to send this platform out with a bang.

The next platform will come with a host of turbo petrol engines that will offer similar, or at least decent performance, but, the simplicity, desirability, sound, and presence of a V8 is a bit of an X factor and huge draw-card especially if price is fair.

they may consider the V8 for the next gen Ranger Raptor straight from the factory. Or maybe before that, maybe even something with Wild-Track specs with V8? Or maybe this is a precursor for what's to come? I hope so.

The thing is, the Ranger's a vehicle that sells in massive numbers on a global scale so I can't see why they wouldn't include the V8 as a permanent offering in the next gen. The idea of something in this size/class with such a motor wouldn't be a bad idea when forced induction does tend to suck quite a bit under load.
Now that the Americans are part of the program, the whole landscape shifts,
they have been begging for a performance Ranger Raptor since before launch
and now that the things is getting real sales traction, they will want to press
on with more high end models. Bronco and the new power trains it brings may
be the perfect time to bundle a lot of changes.

F150 Raptor has been a huge success, Ford PR man Mike Levine tweeted that
Ford sold more F150 Raptors than Chevrolet sold corvettes, more than 18,000 last year.

Don't know about the 7.3 in F150 Raptor, the whole reason 6.2 went away
was due to CAFE and too much fuel consumption.....

Last edited by jpd80; 08-01-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:51 PM   #126
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The so called spy photo is a total laugh. It was a US Ranger with an ecoboost 2.3. Because it didn't rattle like a diesel it was suddenly a V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Here's a crazy idea, what if the V8 has been engineered to load from underneath....
what would that do.....
Reduce build cost considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7
So would this be 4wd or 2wd, Raptors are built to go off road, so what driveline will suit Coyote, just can't see current 4wd setup taking V8 power. Hope i'm wrong, this (v8) might sway me into one.
Ranger already uses the 10R80, same as Mustang. Driveline is already there.

And no one in their right mind is going to compare a limited edition off road racer beast ranger V8 with a bloody Ram. What a stupid thing to say. 2 totally different vehicles for 2 completely different purposes
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #127
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, off road racer beast, no one will be going far in to the Simpson with 80l of ULP feeding a V8 with any enthusiasm, it's best quality will be traffic light drags and a decent sound track.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #128
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Lol, off road racer beast, no one will be going far in to the Simpson with 80l of ULP feeding a V8 with any enthusiasm, it's best quality will be traffic light drags and a decent sound track.
As you should well know very few people go off the main roads in any car without carrying spare fuel.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #129
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
As you should well know very few people go off the main roads in any car without carrying spare fuel.
And as you would know, not many people who buy 120k limited edition 4x4's go tearing through the desert, never mind with a handful of Jerry cans strapped in the tray.
It'll be like all the other Raptors you see, polished to the hilt and not a stone chip in sight.
But it'll sound alright, like a RAM...

Last edited by BENT_8; 08-01-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #130
Whistlr

Quote:
And as you would know, not many people who buy 120k limited edition 4x4's go tearing through the desert, never mind with a handful of Jerry cans strapped in the tray.
It'll be like all the other Raptors you see, polished to the hilt and not a stone chip in sight.
But it'll sound alright, like a RAM...
A V8 Ranger Raptor will do a good job of attracting the superficial crowd, and the Ram can be viewed in that way as well but to a much lesser degree. The Ram does have the advantage of being a genuine workhorse, and is more readily available. Obviously the better choice for work but that's where it ends.

C63 buyers won't be phased or deterred by the fact an E300 is the more sensible choice.

It's why I don't think the Raptor should be compared to the Ram because the Raptor V8 would be a one-off, limited run, and it's exclusivity will mean Ford won't have issues selling every one of them.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #131
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A V8 Ranger Raptor will do a good job of attracting the superficial crowd, and the Ram can be viewed in that way as well but to a much lesser degree. The Ram does have the advantage of being a genuine workhorse, and is more readily available. Obviously the better choice for work but that's where it ends.

C63 buyers won't be phased or deterred by the fact an E300 is the more sensible choice.

It's why I don't think the Raptor should be compared to the Ram because the Raptor V8 would be a one-off, limited run, and it's exclusivity will mean Ford won't have issues selling every one of them.
I bet they're all pre-orders with deposits well in advance so that Ford knows exactly how many to build.

Perfect timing if Mustang interest is starting to wane...
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #132
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Agreed, I think people are missing my point here, be it by mistake or by choice.

As I said earlier, a V8 raptor is a great idea, it will sell and will provide work for a workforce, no argument from me there.
My intention wasn't to compare it to the RAM, I was simply saying that if its a simple case of having a V8 equipped ute, then the RAM does it for a lot less, but this isn't about just a V8 ute, its about giving a certain number of Ford fans what they desire.
Im simply asking why is it suddenly ok to offer a ute at a huge premium when the same argument couldn't be had for a sportscar if all its about is giving a fan base something they want.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #133
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I think this is great and was interested till I realised it has a real possibility of cracking 100k easily. In this price bracket you be better off buying a Ranger (not raptor) with a blown motor (not uncommon) and getting the conversion done and have plenty out of 100k left over.
Not a new car I know but better value for money...and lets be real, who actually uses a Raptor for high speed offroad? Is the suspension really necessary? Such activities would land you in lockup in this country for hooning!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:22 PM   #134
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

There are very few that will take a raptor off road, hell there are few who take normal rangers off road now as it is, but as has been Said, a v8 raptor will def be a sell out dependant on the final price, I reckon this is the most exciting news in the ranger space in a long time !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #135
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty cool this is a thing now.

I wonder what will be cheaper, a Raptor with a V8 conversion, or a Ram 1500 Hemi with some serious off road mods.
I think v8 offroaders are cool and I want one, but damn 100k+ and going off road is scary.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #136
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
I think this is great and was interested till I realised it has a real possibility of cracking 100k easily. In this price bracket you be better off buying a Ranger (not raptor) with a blown motor (not uncommon) and getting the conversion done and have plenty out of 100k left over.
Not a new car I know but better value for money...and lets be real, who actually uses a Raptor for high speed offroad? Is the suspension really necessary? Such activities would land you in lockup in this country for hooning!
LOL, 20 years ago:
1. FPV too dear, so I'll get an old blown up taxi and put a V8 in it.
2. FPV suspension and brakes Do people actually use them at track days.
3. substitute RR for latest FPV Falcon if you drive it fast, it's a hoon's car..

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:31 PM   #137
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im simply asking why is it suddenly ok to offer a ute at a huge premium when the same argument couldn't be had for a sportscar if all its about is giving a fan base something they want.

I haven't read all the thread but I presume the sports car you're referring to is the Camaro? If it is, I suppose one reason the argument doesn't hold up is because there is a direct competitor for the Camaro in the Mustang at a much lower cost. GM would have done the sums and decided it didn't stack up despite what fans wanted. For a V8 Ranger in Raptor guise there's no obvious direct competitor.

Also, just how accurate is the Wheels article?
Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #138
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, I think people are missing my point here, be it by mistake or by choice.

As I said earlier, a V8 raptor is a great idea, it will sell and will provide work for a workforce, no argument from me there.
My intention wasn't to compare it to the RAM, I was simply saying that if its a simple case of having a V8 equipped ute, then the RAM does it for a lot less, but this isn't about just a V8 ute, its about giving a certain number of Ford fans what they desire.

You say you’re not comparing it to RAM and yet you say if you want a V8 ute the RAM does it for a lot less. If you’re not comparing them then why bring it up?

Raptor and RAM aren’t the same kind of ute. And you have no idea what the premium is. Might be huge, might be reasonable.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:08 PM   #139
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
You say you’re not comparing it to RAM and yet you say if you want a V8 ute the RAM does it for a lot less. If you’re not comparing them then why bring it up?

Raptor and RAM aren’t the same kind of ute. And you have no idea what the premium is. Might be huge, might be reasonable.
Ok, tell me, what does a V8 Raptor do that a 2.0l Raptor cant do?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #140
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mate if that’s your reasoning then we should scrap every other car maker and just drive around in Kia’s...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 PM   #141
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Mate if that’s your reasoning then we should scrap every other car maker and just drive around in Kia’s...
Oh look, a Kia joke, how original, should reap a ton of 'likes'

It has nothing to do with my reasoning, but it goes to getting to it.

Just answer the question.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:39 PM   #142
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
The exhaust note for starters..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #143
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
The exhaust note for starters..
Yep, that's 1..

Im gonna help Adamz Ghia out here and say it'll also get from zero to whatever quicker too.

Anything else?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 PM   #144
Whistlr

Quote:
Has nothing to do with my reasoning, but it goes to getting to it.

Just answer the question.
Its all about the swagger, street cred, the sound as you're motoring along. These things alone are satisfying to those who appreciate them.
It also has way better acceleration and it'll suck through fuel properly - none of this coast a little bit here, sip a little bit over this crest, watching the gauge like a Prius owner.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:05 AM   #145
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Its all about the swagger, street cred, the sound and as you're motoring along. These things alone are satisfying to those who appreciate them.
It also has way better acceleration and it'll suck through fuel properly - none of this coast a little bit here, sip a little bit over this crest, watching the gauge like a Prius owner.
Right, now we're getting somewhere.

So lets bring it all together, a V8 Ranger Raptor will accelerate quicker, sound better and draw attention.

Now, what does a V8 RAM do as compared to say a Triton/Navara/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/BT50.

My guess is....it will accelerate quicker, sound better and...draw attention.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:52 AM   #146
Whistlr

Quote:

So lets bring it all together, a V8 Ranger Raptor will accelerate quicker, sound better and draw attention.

Now, what does a V8 RAM do as compared to say a Triton/Navara/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/BT50.

Yes there's overlap between the Ram and the Raptor, the former is more of a workhorse and has good luxury appointments, the latter would be more sports orientated, rowdier and more dynamic. It would be a lot more exclusive being a one off limited run that wouldn't really upset the long term forecast in sales for the Ram, or anything else for that matter. I don't think anyone here is dissing the Ram, but I'm sure we're all excited at the prospect of having a stonking V8 in what is considered one of the best/most popular sports utes on sale.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #147
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgetting price, it would be interested to compare the Ranger Raptor with the 5.0 to the F150 Raptor equipped with the 3.5lTT ecoboost.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:17 AM   #148
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
but I'm sure we're all excited at the prospect of having a stonking V8 in what is considered one of the best/most popular sports utes on sale.
Yes, the same sort of excited that a Holden/GM fan would get at the prospect of having a stonking V8 in a GM badged RHD sports car available in Australia...

It'd certainly be worth the premium...to a diehard fan of that brand..

I get it guys, I think its fantastic, im just highlighting the hypocrisy.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:44 AM   #149
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love v8,s ....but this would just be a "niche" vehicle for those people that really want one , it's not going to be a big seller because who can afford to run a 4wd aerodynamic as a brick v8 Ute round town picking up bits and pieces ? And as said who can afford to trash a 100k+ Ute in the bush? ....til just be a once a week joy ride in your toy Ute......which if that spins your wheels then why not

Wonder how the numbers would stack up for Ford ?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #150
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ram: 3-point turns to get out of suburban underground supermarket carparks... it did sound great as i watched and listened with the V8 reflecting off all that concrete...
The Ram provides a full-size interior that no Triton/Navara/Hilux/Ranger/Dmax/BT50 will match and that's one thing I would prefer..however this is a Ford forum... and, well....you know.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-01-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post