Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Guzz226

Default Carefactor for enthusiasts?

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/f...n-s-fpr-future

Dear Bob Graziano,

I would ask that you think long and hard about this decision.

Poor decisions a few years ago saw 888 switch panels to Holden -had Ford kept funding to that Team up the cherished blue oval badge would still be dominating in the Commodore Cup series.

Instead they walked when FoA cut funding - and in doing so Ford handed Holden sustained success they could not achieve by themselves. So you saved a few $$$, but it cost you a lot more than it saved in terms of exposure and success. Whilst that decision was not made on your watch, it is vital to learn from it.

The stakes are even higher this time! The enthusiasts that blindly follow your brand are hurting:
- There are only a handful of Fords left in V8 Supercars. Other options abound with other brands looking to join - will there even going to be Fords at all next year to watch?
- There is still a lack of clarity on your future FPV GT plans eg 2014 model update?

At risk is a core group of repeat customers, spanning multiple generations - do you even care?

Whilst I understand the Falcon decision makes sense economically, it is time to start listening to your customers before you cause further damage -afterall I assume you intend to keep us and transition us over to your 30% increase in models - that won't happen if you stuff it further over the next 3 years as who will buy them if you kill your core?

You need to start doing some positive things now before you do further damage to your brand.

Geez, even Nissan do a better job of looking after their fans! (And they are a 100% importer like you are wanting to be).

Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Default Re: Carefactor for enthusiasts?

care factor for the whiny little tosspot leaving - zero
care factor for ford pulling out - irrelevant . . . it ain't my millions of dollars needing to be spent, so i don't have a say
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

The amount of people following V8SC and then proceeding to buy a new Ford were a minority within a minority.
Old 15-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNQracing View Post
The amount of people following V8SC and then proceeding to buy a new Ford were a minority within a minority.
yup

my dad has been a Ford man for many years, loves to watch V8SC.......... but drives a VW
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Guzz226

I'm not saying that not funding V8SC is killing FoA. The death is clearly by a 1000 cuts.

I am saying they seem to be doing everything in their power to kill the brand and the support they do have.

At what point do they say we need to turn this around and start being proactive about rebuilding the brand, rather than passively killing it off?

Currently it is all negative, bad news stuff - when are we going to start hearing some positives, assuming there are any to share?
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

There are barely any Ford performance enthusiasts buying new cars now anyway so its not going to make much of a difference. Ford will be working on core customers that are buying other cars in the range while trying to attract new people. I dont even know anyone that watches V8 supercars anymore.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Enthusiasts love to buy older cars anyway. We're a minority and only a fool looks after the minority when the majority dont care.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
I'm not saying that not funding V8SC is killing FoA. The death is clearly by a 1000 cuts.

I am saying they seem to be doing everything in their power to kill the brand and the support they do have.

At what point do they say we need to turn this around and start being proactive about rebuilding the brand, rather than passively killing it off?

Currently it is all negative, bad news stuff - when are we going to start hearing some positives, assuming there are any to share?
They are going import only. History in the Australian market with other brands tells them that when you do that, you get hammered in market share. VF being such a good car and a significant upgrade has just made things worse.

The investment in building brand for Ford will be more important once Falcon and Territory have faded away and they have new product like Mustang.

Whatever the case, even with Australians love for imports, I can't believe they would expect to stay anything in the market beyond fifth place for quite a while. Ford imports are very patchy as far as their success in the market. Some on here blame supply exclusively for that, but I suspect its a lot more complicated then that. Mondeo just hasn't been well received by Australians and I suspect Kuga will also struggle.

Right now its all about getting through the next two years. Closing local production with as little fuss as possible and getting new product ready for import to replace them. V8 supercars and marketing aren't going to make that transition any smoother, no matter how much money you throw at it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some may say pulling out of V8 SC's is a positive move. only some die hard falcon fans really care and maybe the rest of the public think V8's are for yobbos and bogans. If your cars manufacturer is associated with yobbos and bogans does that mean your possibly a yobbo or a bogan, which a fiesta driving accountant (sorry V8 loving accountants but it fits) doesnt want to be seen as. Thus not selling the falcon and pulling out of V8s is a positive move for the manufacturer, which may actually increase the brands status.
Speaking from experience there is nothing worse than being abused buy a falcon driver because your not in a falcon, makes them look like yobbos and bogans (now Im sure there are plenty of commodore drivers the same and this fella was the only bad apple falcon driver who just gets around a lot...)but when not in the fun car im in the falcon.
Anyway losing the stigma may actually help

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
WPR1

I'm a V8 loving Accountant who drives a GT!

I think there is a lot to be gained from participation in motorsport - why else would Nissan and Volvo join?

Motorsport can be very positive if you link it to your Brand's DNA through advertising - just look at BMW.

Come on Ford please stick with it, you have a great range of performance cars which you can link to your racing program - especially if the Mustang is coming in a few years!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I am pretty much just backing up WPR1s post.

I think it would be a bad move to drop out of V8 Supercars all together. Even if they just keep the 2 cars and FPR going it would go toward maintaining a performance presence advertising wise. Even if there are no V8 4 door Fords available on the market I am sure there will still be performance versions of Fusion or Mondeo or whatever they decide to use in Falcon's place to spruik using the formula. Plus hopefully there will still be a V8 product available in the form of Mustang (fingers crossed), even if its only a high end niche product.

The fact Nissan and Volvo (maybe) are participating must mean there is still a market to advertise to for this segment.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
WPR1

Plus this is my favourite sport and I want Ford my favourite make of car to take part. To me it would be like the NRL without Parramatta Eels or Canterbury Bulldogs or the AFL without Collingwood or Fitzroy etc.

Ford and V8 Supercars just should be!
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
Guzz226

Re yobbos - every brand of car has drivers that can be described that way. FACT

The intent of my original post was to highlight that Ford appear to be doing everything they can to alienate every group of customer they have that has shown any type of loyalty.

How can they hope to turn around the business by dumping on the diehards?
Old 15-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm afraid I have to say that I'm not really interested anymore, especially since COTF; it's lost all relevance to me.

Sponsor, don't sponsor, what does it matter?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'm the same. V8SC is on a downhill slope and Ford pulling out will just send it closer to the edge. Racing is just too boring for me too even care anymore.

And judging by the pitiful TV rights deal i'm thinking a lot feel the same. The interest just isn't there anymore.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Re yobbos - every brand of car has drivers that can be described that way. FACT

The intent of my original post was to highlight that Ford appear to be doing everything they can to alienate every group of customer they have that has shown any type of loyalty.

How can they hope to turn around the business by dumping on the diehards?
Yeah...It's not like they have any clue about what they are doing does it, just because you don't like the decision does not mean it's not what they want to do, the direction they want to take their business.
Ford suffers from a negative reputation inthe market place, one that has most possibly come from one sector of it's market. It no longer intends to service that sector so must turn its attention to fortifying the desired market.
Volvo, nissan and the new teams when they come also suffer from a market reputation, of not being sporting and wish to adress that. In this country there is one option, opened to them through Car of the future. And with the rise of the cashed up bogan along with mercedes they want a piece of the pie,
Again their PR people, marketers, and management are smarter than we are on here, as Im sure if we knew what they knew wed be doing their job and earning the money they earn.
JP
Old 16-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sorry, I don’t really understand the issue?
Ford will nolonger make or sell a large sedan here, and the closest thing they will have to a performance model is the Focus with extra stripes. What EXACTLY are you asking them to do?
Spend money to pay somebody to put a Ford badge on their COTFodore? Ok, I’ll bite, WHY?
It would make as much sense as asking Kraft to sponsor a car and call it a “Vegemite.”

I understand that as an enthusiast you feel abandoned by Ford, as do many of us, but the sad reality is that Ford HAS abandoned the Australian enthusiast (rightly or wrongly) and wasting money on a couple of Ford badges won’t change that.
Old 16-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #18
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1 View Post

I think there is a lot to be gained from participation in motorsport - why else would Nissan and Volvo join?

Motorsport can be very positive if you link it to your Brand's DNA through advertising - just look at BMW.

Come on Ford please stick with it, you have a great range of performance cars which you can link to your racing program - especially if the Mustang is coming in a few years!
The biggest selling cars in this country do not participate in the V8SC series

The win on "Sunday sell on Monday" is no longer relevant to the vast majority of car buyers

Ford a heading in a different direction .... They want to sell a lot of cars so I'm thinking they will want to take some of the market share from Mazda and Toyota

Enthusiasts like us are a minority group especially in Australia
I don't think motor sport influences car sales as it once used to

The times they are a changing

Last edited by neptune blue; 16-06-2013 at 12:41 AM.
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #19
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldnt it be better for Ford to go back to Formula 1?
Get some international recognition.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #20
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPR1 View Post

No really what have BMW actually competed in recently that was firstly sucessfull and really contributed worldwide to their DNA.

JP

Last edited by flappist; 16-06-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 16-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
No really what have BMW actually competed in that was frstly sucessfull and really contributed worldwide to their DNA.

JP
BMW are in a very different market in Australia to ford
First and foremost they do not manufacture here, they have global platforms and are most probably turning a profit
Secondly I don't think the majority of BMW buyers are influenced by BMW's participation in motor sport
My Brother in law has a 6 series convertible and he doesn't give two hoots about BMW motor sport and neither does his wife who drives the top of the line BMW 4WD what ever that is
He buys BMW's because he's rich and can afford it ....and that's pretty much their market segment.

The vast majority of Australian buyers want small to medium size fuel efficient low maintenance cars that don't cost much to run or buy

Motor sport participation for the overwhelming majority of car buys in this county has no relevance to their buying preferences

Ford have done the research. Don't be surprised if they introduce more "small performance" cars in their line up that won't rely on motor sport for marketing

Last edited by flappist; 16-06-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixed quote
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
I can't believe they would expect to stay anything in the market beyond fifth place for quite a while.
Profits over volume. As long as they are making money as opposed to losing money, which is what has been happening, it doesn't matter to them that they're "languishing" in 5th place or lower on the Australian market. Volume isn't anywhere near as important as profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
Mondeo just hasn't been well received by Australians and I suspect Kuga will also struggle.
Mondeo is struggling because it's a "big car" compared to the Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla and Hyundai i30, respectively the top 3 sellers Australia wide in March. Ford Focus is a regular top 20 performer, and I would expect the Ford Kuga to do likewise due to the popularity of the small/medium SUV segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Ford will nolonger make or sell a large sedan here, and the closest thing they will have to a performance model is the Focus with extra stripes. What EXACTLY are you asking them to do?
You're forgetting the Mustang.

They could still participate in V8 Supercars with a Mondeo shell over the control chassis.

Quote:
I understand that as an enthusiast you feel abandoned by Ford, as do many of us, but the sad reality is that Ford HAS abandoned the Australian enthusiast (rightly or wrongly) and wasting money on a couple of Ford badges won’t change that.
They may have dropped the Falcon, but I fail to see how they have "abandoned the Australian enthusiast". The Mustang is coming, and it is highly likely that whatever replaces the Falcon in the line-up will also have a "hero" variant.

I get the feeling that even if the next gen Taurus SHO due in 2016 is faster than anything FPV has ever produced, some peope here will still lament the fact that it isn't a Falcon ...
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
They could still participate in V8 Supercars with a Mondeo shell over the control chassis.
Umm, yes they COULD, that’s what I said. The supposed beauty of the COTFodore is that any idiot with enough money can stick a badge on one and go racing. So Bathurst could be won by a Delonghi Nespresso, or a Hungry Jacks Whopper. But you still haven’t explained WHY Ford would want to do that?
The WOS/SOM rationale was stretched thinly enough when the FPV GT and the Ford V8SC were cosmetically identical, based on the same platform, shared the notion of “V8 heritage,” AND tapped into the SAME demographic.

Don’t get me wrong, some of Ford’s global FWD cars are superb, I DRIVE an XR4, and the XR5 Turbo was awesome. Without the Falcon, Ford may yet expand the Mondeo (/Fusion) range to include the more powerful EB engine. Point is there is little relevance between V8SC and a Mondeo.
And no, I haven’t “forgotten” about the mythical Mustang, it would be a bit hard with all the threads devoted to it. If you want to prattle about the Mustang, go to one of the many threads already dedicated to it, or better yet wait until there is a scintilla of evidence. Ironically, that would make even LESS sense. IF as the dreamers claim, Ford plans to sell V8 Mustangs down under, AND they decided that motorsport was again a good promotion, they’d want to see Mustangs racing, NOT some crappy COTFodore with a Ford badge.
Old 16-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #24
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see coffee machine race.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #25
Guzz226

Current COTFodore (I liked that!) mean 4 doors only, so no Mustang
Old 16-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Spend money to pay somebody to put a Ford badge on their COTFodore? Ok, I’ll bite, WHY?
It would make as much sense as asking Kraft to sponsor a car and call it a “Vegemite.”

Abandoned? Australian 'enthusiasts' weren't buying enough Aussie made Fords, its the enthusiasts fault for not supporting the brand. Ford a business, out to make a profit, not lose money so they can sell one car a day to an enthusiast. If/when they bring the Mustang here are they still abandoning Aussie enthusiasts?
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #27
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Abandoned? Australian 'enthusiasts' weren't buying enough Aussie made Fords, its the enthusiasts fault for not supporting the brand. Ford a business, out to make a profit, not lose money so they can sell one car a day to an enthusiast. If/when they bring the Mustang here are they still abandoning Aussie enthusiasts?
would you like some panadol - brick walls tend to hurt
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

With out the core enthusiasts supporting performance and high series Falcons,
I recon Ford would have killed falcon off years ago......but,

Can anyone honestly guarantee that Falcon and Ute sales won't fall even lower by Christmas time?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoiler (guess only)

Davidson to join Polestar Volvo Team as head driver
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #30
nstg8a