Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > New and Classic Ford Association of Australia Inc

New and Classic Ford Association of Australia Inc A Queensland based club for all Ford models of all ages of Show “n” Shine standard.

Old 17-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
wanneroo

Default starting

Just need some recommendations re my fairmont EF

I have had a new fuel pump installed, however if I proceed to start the car turning the ignition key quickly as normal, the motor cranks but wont start, If I change this to turning the ignition on not cranking the motor allowing for the dashboard instrument gauges to settle and read such has the fuel level etc I wait 3secs then crank the motor it starts, no problem this is every time so I wait 3 secs and all ok

Can anyone explain whats going on? is this a fuel line pressure issue? OI have always cranked the motor right away before no problem this has been like this for a good time A new fuel pump was decreed responsible however I,am just fascinated to why it behaves this way the new pump doesn't fix this
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: starting

Hi. The fuel rail isn't holding pressure, could be a number of reasons. Leaky injector(s) letting fuel into inlet manifold. Leaky fuel pressure regulator letting fuel flow back to tank and the non return valve in the pump letting fuel flow back through the pump to the tank. To test all 3 requires a pressure gauge between pump and fuel rail, install gauge and turn on key and see if pressure rises and then turn off key and see if pressure drops. if pressure drops close fuel return line and turn on key and see if pressure rises and turn off key an see if pressure drops, if not it is regulator, if it does it is injector or pump so block hose at inlet to fuel rail and test again. nodrop means injector(s) or a drop in pressure means pump. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
wanneroo

Many thanks Michael that's a great help
Old 13-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
wanneroo

Hi Micheal re your last post to me I had been using 91 octane fuel I switched to 95 my starting issues cleared for this last three months no problems just last week its commence3d this no starting only after a lot of cranking then it will go for a couple of weeks no problem you just cant rely on it anymore I have clocked up 300.000 km I was told my injectors are the most likely culprit by the RAC so iam on the verge of buying a complete set idling is ok but a little lumpy I take her out of drive at the lights on red etc to take the load off I would appreciate your comments
Old 13-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #5
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate could be a silly question but did you change your fuel filter when you changed the pump . If not then the filter could be pretty blocked thus causing strain on the old pump rendering it U/S and now causing issues again.
Just a thought.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
wanneroo

thanks for the input my mechanic changed the fuel pump so I presume it was checked
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #7
wanneroo

here once again re starting up my EF fairmont I have had new injectors fitted it still refuses to start after a couple of hours not all the time, I took it in to my mechanic he cant find any problem, he said she runs well he said he would have to keep the car three days which is not possible, he suspects fuel flooding
Whenever I start the car when it does start that is which is 90% of the time I always have a strong smell of fuel and a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust I have explained this but its sort of ignored, I cant get anywhere at all, Fuel pressure and codes are OK he said if it was these things it wouldn't run, like it does it idles well and drives very well going to the supermarket or anywhere else and park up its unpredictable I am a little lost with this I thought a smell of petrol and a puff of black smoke each time it starts would be enough to diagnose a remedy
Old 02-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
wanneroo

Here once again re starting up my EF fairmont I have had new injectors fitted it still refuses to start after a couple of hours not all the time, I took it in to my mechanic he cant find any problem, he said she runs well he said he would have to keep the car three days which is not possible, he suspects fuel flooding
Whenever I start the car when it does start that is which is 90% of the time I always have a strong smell of fuel and a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust I have explained this but its sort of ignored, I cant get anywhere at all, Fuel pressure and codes are OK he said if it was these things it wouldn't run, like it does it idles well and drives very well going to the supermarket or anywhere else and park up its unpredictable I am a little lost with this I thought a smell of petrol and a puff of black smoke each time it starts would be enough to diagnose a remedy
Old 28-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #9
wanneroo

i start my EF car from cold drive 3km and park for 1 to 2 hours then it wont start I have to push gas pedal to floor just spent $700, computer checks ok codes all reset new TPS, map sensor, oxygen sensor, coolant sensor, new HT leads, and plugs, new ignition module back to original problem spelled out above no one can diagnose this problem if I drive 15km and park up for 1 to 2 hours it starts no problem