Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
sleek7

Default A word of caution when working on our cars

Hey Guys,
So I had blown my drivers side fog light last week and thought today being a day off would be a good day to replace them.
Got the car up on stands and took off the air direction blocker thing to get access to the rear of the light. As I glanced at it I noticed a few cobwebs hanging around in there, I had a quick look and couldn't see anything but thought id just give it a quick check with my little LED torch I keep in my car before putting my hand in there.
Upon having a better look with some light I then spotted a decent size redback spider sitting with its egg sack not far from where my hand would have gone. A little Mortein sprayed in there and shortly after the spider dropped out.

Anyway, just a reminder as we head into summer to take a little extra care when getting your hands into the nooks and crannies of your car as there can easily be unwanted nasties as I discovered today

Last edited by sleek7; 02-11-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for the heads up, I'm almost scared at what I might find in parts of the LTD when I start to pull it apart, there seem to be cobwebs made on certain parts of it, that as soon as you get rid of them, they appear again! Mainly right between the passenger side front & rear doors where the door meets the window, and on the rear corners where the tail lights meet the bumper. There's got to be a critter living there somewhere, haven't found him/her yet though!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
3vXT

Spiders are ken2903's kryptonite.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Valid8
COOGES

Yeah, after I had the ZC brought down from Sydney every morning new webs would appear from underneath. So I got fed up and sprayed heaps of insect spray under there and lots of redback looking spiders absailed down in agony, big females tiny males. Glad I didnt have reason to reach under.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Do you run screaming from the shed like a little girl aswell????
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
2002au
Define definitive

happened to me aswell-was putting diesel in our old hilux. any way open the little door flap thing, then went to open the fuel cap and there was a HUGE spider sitting in there.

frightened the crap out of me lol
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the reason I set one of those bomb thingo's in my garage every 3 months, any nasty creature living anywhere near or under my cars die, and considering I have been driving home from work with a spider or two before, this has become part of the normal routine..

On a strange side note, I also discovered that setting the bombs off actually seem to kill cane toads too
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
there seem to be cobwebs made on certain parts of it,
I would have thought that's all that would be holding a 1984 LTD together?

(fyi I'm just having a lend )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
On a strange side note, I also discovered that setting the bombs off actually seem to kill cane toads too
Where's the fun in that? There is oh-so-much fun to be had with golf clubs and a piece of wood + 9" nails / lawn mower / firecrackers (where legal)
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
This is the reason I set one of those bomb thingo's in my garage every 3 months, any nasty creature living anywhere near or under my cars die, and considering I have been driving home from work with a spider or two before, this has become part of the normal routine..

I have allway's wondered about them, do they actually work well ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you should see my brothers' new girlfriend flip out so bad over any kind of insect, got freaked out hardcore and ran away from a "slater" freaked out and fell over at the sight of a danny long legs, went ballistic when one of those neck click bugs (that jump) was on her clothes, demanded a shower immediately it is funny as watching my 11 year old daughter show her a bug in her bug catcher thinamebob its priceless

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #11
sleek7

slightly off the main topic, but if someone could PM me explaining how to get access to the fog light bulbs that would be great. Tried following the steps in the tech guide but just cant for the life of me get the assembly away from the bumper :/
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, every morning when i go to work i notice cobwebs on my rear bumper overider, i brush it off and its always back the next day. My lane must be home to a spider
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I would have thought that's all that would be holding a 1984 LTD together?

(fyi I'm just having a lend )
Is that why my back bumper fell off when I removed the cobweb that was hanging from the back tailight attached to the bumper!!!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
nstg8a

Quote:
lol, im the same...

my garage has two automatic flyspray dispensers in there, plus i bomb it every 6 weeks or so.

the garage also seems to be the point of entry for any unwanted 8 legged guests getting into the house, so a lot of defence there saves the stress of waking up to a huntsman doing laps of the bedroom walls.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #15
kinksta
Luxojet

It is amazing how something so small can frighten so many people...
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
It is amazing how something so small can frighten so many people...
It's amazing how something so small can KILL so many people....
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #17
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I've got a huntsman living in the external part of the passenger side door frame.

It's safe as long as it stays outside.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

YuK!! Spiders!!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Do you run screaming from the shed like a little girl aswell????
...and then the crying starts.

I'm probably not that bad really. I'm not scared of the harmless looking ones but the 'angry' ones freak me out a bit.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yeah they're killers alright.

"Redback spider bites rarely cause significant morbidity, and deaths are even more rare. On Australian record only 14 deaths from redbacks have been recorded. A significant proportion of bites will not result in envenomation or any symptoms developing. It is believed that thousands of people are bitten each year across Australia, although only about 20% of bite victims require treatment. Children and the elderly or those with serious medical conditions are at much higher risk of severe side-effects and death resulting from a bite. No deaths have been reported since the introduction of antivenom in 1956." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

"There have been 27 recorded deaths in Australia in the last 100 years from funnel-web spider bites. Bites from Sydney funnel-web spiders have caused 13 deaths (seven in children). Since the antivenom was developed in 1981[5], there have been no recorded fatalities due to this species."

Be careful (don't go playing with them), but don't be needlessly scared of them.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm with ya on that one. I can spot them a mile away, and by then I'm usually another mile away
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
Yeah they're killers alright.

"Redback spider bites rarely cause significant morbidity, and deaths are even more rare. On Australian record only 14 deaths from redbacks have been recorded. A significant proportion of bites will not result in envenomation or any symptoms developing. It is believed that thousands of people are bitten each year across Australia, although only about 20% of bite victims require treatment. Children and the elderly or those with serious medical conditions are at much higher risk of severe side-effects and death resulting from a bite. No deaths have been reported since the introduction of antivenom in 1956." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

"There have been 27 recorded deaths in Australia in the last 100 years from funnel-web spider bites. Bites from Sydney funnel-web spiders have caused 13 deaths (seven in children). Since the antivenom was developed in 1981[5], there have been no recorded fatalities due to this species."

Be careful (don't go playing with them), but don't be needlessly scared of them.
Thank you for that, plenty of people think all spiders kill, so they all must die. Which is sad.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
kinksta
Luxojet

Quote:
Not true mate. Speaking from personal experience (bitten by a white tail and redback) their bites are not always fatal, in fact rarely fatal. Alot of people can have bad reactions to the bite, but rarely die (here in Oz).

Mind you getting bit by a Funnel Web may be a little diff out in the bush alone...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Mm, just swapped some doors (that were out in the bush for a week), removed the underdash and layed out wiring that navigates through the deep dark parts of the body and trim...not a single eight legged bastard in sight which was quite amazing. Probobly have one sneak up while driving....but the eight legged ones are better than the zero legged ones.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
NFURY8 Ute
Formerly Quick 5.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek7
Hey Guys,
So I had blown my drivers side fog light last week and thought today being a day off would be a good day to replace them.
Got the car up on stands and took off the air direction blocker thing to get access to the rear of the light. As I glanced at it I noticed a few cobwebs hanging around in there, I had a quick look and couldn't see anything but thought id just give it a quick check with my little LED torch I keep in my car before putting my hand in there.
Upon having a better look with some light I then spotted a decent size redback spider sitting with its egg sack not far from where my hand would have gone. A little Mortein sprayed in there and shortly after the spider dropped out.

Anyway, just a reminder as we head into summer to take a little extra care when getting your hands into the nooks and crannies of your car as there can easily be unwanted nasties as I discovered today
thats lucky, i was washin the ute the other day n i shoved the hose between the body and the tray out wash a redback the size of a 50c coin onto my wifes shoe, lol natural reaction was to stomp on her foot.

FIERY you have the right idea about puttin a bomb in the shed or under the car

For Go:
custom exhaust, BPR CAI

For Show:
Power bolge hard cover n spoiler, bonnet n hard cover decals, 20'' CSA RAZORS, Pedders Ultra lows
NFURY8 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have allway's wondered about them, do they actually work well ?.
Yes they do, haven't had a nasty creature in doors for ages and it must linger for quite a while cos have found a few toads on their backs not breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Where's the fun in that? There is oh-so-much fun to be had with golf clubs and a piece of wood + 9" nails / lawn mower / firecrackers (where legal)
I am not getting close enough to whack one with any form of weapon but I have been known to look like a crazed woman chasing whilst mowing :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick 5.4L
FIERY you have the right idea about puttin a bomb in the shed or under the car
yep for sure, works without dramas and it seems to kill for quite a while after the fact which is always good.

I honestly don't care if they are harmless or can not kill, I hate creepy crawlies so they are not allowed in my house, garage or cars
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #27
Mad Maxine

I'm guessing the cane toads are eating the insects that have been poisoned, but that's just a guess.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine
I've got a huntsman living in the external part of the passenger side door frame.

It's safe as long as it stays outside.
So did I ... until he crawled up my arm the other evening in the Territory while doing a ton on the M7 ... man was that interesting. Bugger was the size of my hand as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #29
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ive actually never found a spider in my cars, what I have found is wasps nests though. Very annoying. But spiders tend to die quickly around me, unless its a long-leg, they kill other spiders
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a spider behind my side mirror which will not vacate, I pressure hosed the hell out of it and though surely i thought it was gone, woke up the next morning to see yet another cob-web, good heads up though, now where did i put the mortien
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post