Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 
Default Driving Pet Peeves. What really ticks you off?

As per the title, what really gets to you the most?

To begin, i'll mention one of mine: I can't stand it when i am towing with my car trailer, and someone pulls out in front of me forcing me on the brakes. They take off, leaving me to struggle up to speed again. (usually, there is no one behind me, so it wouldn't have hurt them to wait)
Even worse when it comes to stopping, and they pull out in front of me at the last second, reducing my braking distance at an intersection etc

And now i hand it over to the good folk of the forum........

Old 13-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot of people will probably say this, but tail gaters. Nothing annoys me more.

Oh, and people who don't use indicators at round abouts, and in general really.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

people with ricer mods :| and truckies on the F3 who go and force you onto the grass while nearly hitting the limiter at WOT doing 160km/h trying to get away.... the truckie got pulled up at the northbound weighbridge and fined $800
Old 13-11-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Old people doing 10k's under the limit. In my old XC it doesnt too much like cruising at 50 in 3rd OR 4th and even worse at 40
really shits me to tears
Old 13-11-2010, 01:21 AM   #5
05_ENFORCER

SAC's (self appointed coppers)

Who cares really, just stay in the left lane and everything will be OK.

There is no need to make everyone do the speed limit when you are in the right hand lane blocking those pesky speeding overtakers.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
BigCav
OzFalcon.com.au

people who dont indicate till there half way done changing lanes

nothing worse then waiting behind a slow car for 2 k's and getting to a overtaking lane, putting on your indicator in anticipation to find the car behind you is half way into the lane attempting to leap frog you without indicating like its a bloody race.

excuse me me v6 commodore but im in a v8 fairlane, ill just overtake you once your done and slow down to **** you off deliberatly afterwards
Old 13-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. When I’m stuck in a huge traffic jam and assume there must be a big prang up ahead, only to find out that the jam is being caused by rubberneckers gawping at something on the side of the road.
2. Trucks, ****** little diesels, and grandmas, who don’t keep to the left at traffic lights. They dawdle away from the lights, and before you get anywhere near the speed limit, you’re at the next set of lights.
3. Drivers that can’t merge at speed. Simple message really, if you can’t merge, stay off the fekking freeway.
4. People that don’t indicate at roundabouts, so you have to try and guess what the fekkers are doing.
5. Motorcyclists that ride between the lanes. You won’t think you’re so clever when I open my door!
6. Drivers who breakdown and just leave their car blocking traffic.
7. Fekking morons who don’t allow a driver with a breakdown to pull off the road.
Old 13-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
TerritoryTurbo

I think this one is going to get some replies, hehe.

Getting stuck behind someone on a single lane road doing 20 km/h under the limit and when you get to an overtaking area they do 10 km/h over...

Passing you on a dual carrage highway and pulling about 2 metres in front of you after they've overtaken you. You've got all this room and you have to cut me off...?!

Being a motorbike rider...red light runners make me shudder.

And of course the fav...tailgaters

OK thats enough...lol
Old 13-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
Cooper69S

if I thought for long enough I could come up with a long list...
some I can think of:
- people not indicating properly at roundabouts esp 2 lane ones (people indicating right from the left lane when you're alongside them then you realise they're actually going straight ahead... phew)
- people who don't cross the line while waiting to turn right at the lights. lights go red again and they stay put. have previously sat through 4 changes of lights without moving when people do that
- left-foot-brakers who ride the brake pedal so when following they effectively have no brake lights
- people tailgating while I'm obviously overtaking the slower traffic in the left lane and am already travelling maybe <5 over the limit
- people who flash you after you legally overtake them
- right lane hoggers on the highway/freeway
- people failing to maintain a constant speed and/or keep up with the flow of traffic, especially when they speed up as soon as you get to the overtaking lane and slow back down when it finishes
- seeing baby-on-board signs in peoples car windows... congratulations!!
Old 13-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerritoryTurbo
Passing you on a dual carrage highway and pulling about 2 metres in front of you after they've overtaken you. You've got all this room and you have to cut me off...?!
similar problem happens pretty often on the Perth to Bunbury highway - dual carriageway - driving on cruise control and have people who fluctuate their speed so that they're constantly overtaking and then slowing down once they pass, so you get this leapfrog effect for half the journey. annoying
Old 13-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

People who stop suddenly for apparently no reason, then flick on the indicator as they finish making a right hand turn.
Dabbing the brakes on a straight road with no other traffic around. Also people who cant keep a consistent speed.
Hopeless, indicating at a roundabout.
Sitting 10-15ks under the limit on a clear day. (mostly thats just peoples speedos being out, but still). It takes the **** when you do 70 in an 80 zone but then continue to do 70 when it becomes a 60 zone.
Merging its the most frustrating. You use the slip lane to match the speed of the traffic, not trundle down at 60 and wonder why the traffic is hooning past at 100. You give way to traffic already in the lane (there is no "zip" rule for lanes that merge and are lined accordingly), there is no need to wait until the last moment to merge 99% of people will let you in. That really bugs me, having to slow down and wait for somebody to merge who will then hit the brakes as they do so as they **** themselves because their lane has come to an end.
Not checking blind spots when changing lanes. Infact it appears nobody checks their mirrors or indicates until they are about to complete the manoeuvre.
When approaching a passing lane and you indicate to pass only to find the tallywacker behind you has already pulled out and accelerating, especially when that person is control of a truck.
Ethnic drivers doing what they like. (most likely unlicensed.)
Impatience of drivers cruising up a free lane and then "push" their way into a lane of queuing traffic so they dont miss a turn.
Theres probably more just im to tired to think of them right now.
Geez I am an angry driver. However I think these are basic knowledge when in charge of a motor vehicle, and yet there happening every 30 secs on an average drive anywhere.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 13-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #12
TerritoryTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
similar problem happens pretty often on the Perth to Bunbury highway - dual carriageway - driving on cruise control and have people who fluctuate their speed so that they're constantly overtaking and then slowing down once they pass, so you get this leapfrog effect for half the journey. annoying
Yep I agree, they break their neck to overtake you, then realise they're over the limit and slow down and you have to switch off your cruise.

I love my cruise control...
Old 13-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Couldn't have said it better myself really Rancidpunx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
To begin, i'll mention one of mine: I can't stand it when i am towing with my car trailer, and someone pulls out in front of me forcing me on the brakes. They take off, leaving me to struggle up to speed again. (usually, there is no one behind me, so it wouldn't have hurt them to wait)
Even worse when it comes to stopping, and they pull out in front of me at the last second, reducing my braking distance at an intersection etc
Replace car trailer with horse float with horses on ... and that makes it for an even more interesting time. You need to pull up nice and clean ... with out the horses taking a stumble in the float.

I can tell you ... if i horse goes down in a float ... it's dangerous. Then you need to pull over somewhere and try and get the horse back up (while it is still freaking out). Half ton plus of animal trying to scramble about in a confined space is hard enough to handle.

Always seems to happen as I am slowing up for a red light and easing up for the horse and someone flies up and cuts in and jumps on the brake.
Old 13-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

clowns that sit in the overtake lane on a freeway that are doing maybe 5 or 10kmh below the limit, so you merge to overtake and all of a sudden they are driving the mach 5 and it is capable of 200 kmh or more

getting stuck behind some half wit on the onramp who thinks its their god given right to hit the highway at 60 kmh with a great freight train of cars backed up behind them, with trucks on the highway at highway speed if you want to risk your **** thats your business dont be putting my **** on the line too...

ALSO people that pull up toward the left of the road stationary to make a right hand turn, so you can't slip past them and continue on your way... (on the left) cause they didnt leave enough room

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 13-11-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I knew I forgot another one. Not dangerous or against any rules, but more just not being aware of other road users.
In traffic waiting to turn right at a light you notice the lights go green but then notice cars taking an age to go through the lights and before you know it only 3 cars have gone and its red again. Its just annoying. Same goes for passing lanes and the one slow coach gets past a truck but everyone else is stuck behind hitting the anchors to let the truck merge.
The Work Truck

Old 13-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #16
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
I knew I forgot another one. Not dangerous or against any rules, but more just not being aware of other road users.
In traffic waiting to turn right at a light you notice the lights go green but then notice cars taking an age to go through the lights and before you know it only 3 cars have gone and its red again. Its just annoying.
Pretty much what I was referring to further up... there seem to be a lot of people who don't realise that if you're at traffic lights waiting to turn right and there is no red or green arrow being displayed, that you should cross the line when the lights go green and wait for a safe gap to turn. If there's no gap in oncoming traffic, turn once the lights go red and the oncoming traffic has stopped. Some just stay there or try to reverse when the lights go red. Others don't cross the line at all until it's clear to turn, and on some busy intersections that might not happen for a looooong time.
Old 13-11-2010, 03:23 AM   #17
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Yeah again thats pretty basic, but I mean when your only permitted to turn on a green arrow.
The Work Truck

Old 13-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #18
The Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
5. Motorcyclists that ride between the lanes. You won’t think you’re so clever when I open my door!

and how clever will you feel if that same motorcyclist avoids your door but comes back and kicks the **** out of your car?

you are an a grade ********!
Old 13-11-2010, 05:24 AM   #19
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 . XXXXholes who insist on sitting in the right lane for kilometre after kilometre oblivious to you or the 73 other cars behind you they are holding up as they blithely travel at exactly the same speed as the car next to them in the left lane .
2 . people who sit anywhere below the speed limit on a single lane road with double centre lines UNTIL they hit a passing lane who suddenly discover the throttle and speed up to 10 or 20 k's over the limit and then immediately slow back down again the minute it returns to a single lane having only allowed 2 or 3 of the dozens of cars they have banked up behind them to pass .
3 . XXXXholes who when presented with the above scenario and insist on only doing half a kilometre an hour faster than said XXXXhole who has discovered his car can actualy travel faster when there are 2 lanes and consequently take the entire length of the overtaking lane to pass .
4 . ********* who pass the car in the left lane and refuse point blank to move to the left after they are past it , but just one millimetere before there is enough room for you to undertake them they slow back down until they are just one millimetre away from allowing you to undertake and get around them them and then pull into the right lane again to get past the car in the left lane and speed up again .

Australians as a race really are woefully pathetic drivers .
Old 13-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
SAC's (self appointed coppers)
this^^^

if someone is tailgating you and you don't like it - let them pass. its not your job to correct them. personally, tailgaters don't bother me. just ignore them. 99% of the time it is nothing personal, they are just in more of a hurry than you are and once past will have already forgotten about you. so many people make it personal.

i'm going to throw out the old 'driving is a privilege, not a right' saying. people driving 5-10km/h under the limit are annoying, but they aren't breaking any laws. a limit is exactly that - a maximum limit, not a minimum! if everyone just chilled out a bit more it would be a lot easier. i've found if i allow plenty of time to get where i need to be, i drive with a much different attitude. its only when i'm a bit pushed for time that i get a bit hot under the collar.
Old 13-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
allowing you to undertake

this is one of my pet peeves. undertaking refers to the removal of dead bodies.

passing another vehicle is overtaking. it matters not whether you pass on the left or right. technically, in higher speed zones, cars should be 'keeping left unless overtaking' so there shouldn't be a need to overtake on the left in an ideal world, but i don't think that rule takes into account the amount of traffic on some roads. eg, the pacific motorway to the goldcoast. its 5 or 6 lanes wide in some areas and full of traffic. its just not practical for everyone to be trying to keep left although most still try to stay left of the furthermost right lane.
Old 13-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #22
ryanstev

I hate the people who are happy to do 55 in a 50 zone until they get to a downhill stretch at which point they will ride their brakes the whole way down at 45.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this^^^

if someone is tailgating you and you don't like it - let them pass. its not your job to correct them. personally, tailgaters don't bother me. just ignore them. 99% of the time it is nothing personal, they are just in more of a hurry than you are and once past will have already forgotten about you. so many people make it personal.

i'm going to throw out the old 'driving is a privilege, not a right' saying. people driving 5-10km/h under the limit are annoying, but they aren't breaking any laws. a limit is exactly that - a maximum limit, not a minimum! if everyone just chilled out a bit more it would be a lot easier. i've found if i allow plenty of time to get where i need to be, i drive with a much different attitude. its only when i'm a bit pushed for time that i get a bit hot under the collar.
Exactly, people who think it is their right to intimidate other drivers on the road.
The stress levels of some of these clowns must be through the roof.

I try to be a predictable law abiding driver and stay out of altercations
in the hopes that this will keep me and my passengers safe from others
treating the roads as their own personal property.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #24
fmc351
let it burn

Its a road, owned by millions of Aussies, and shared with thousands of tourists who may not know the road at all. Sometimes things I see make me think wtf, but then I just let it slide and go about my business, Im not offended when I need to touch the brake pedal.

I truly am, Jebus behind the wheel.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #25
Trek
Blue blooded

Should give this thread the subtitle: "The thread that never ends"

Tail-gaters (single lane roads, much?)
Mobile Phones (they ARE a big distraction, at least as far as I've witnessed)
Not using indicators
High beams (when being tail-gated and of course, from oncoming traffic)
Old 13-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #26
Wardo

People who pull into the gap I leave to the car in front when there is plenty of room behind me.
People who go barrelling down the outside of a que waiting to turn only to chuch on their indicator and merge without looking.
It's amazing how people when surrounded by a bunch of metal and glass will do things they wouldn't think of if walking around.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #27
glavas

i hate when people overtake me or pull out in front of me. for some reason it makes me very angry. makes me feel like people are trying to push me around. so i try not to let this happen. maybe i have psychological issues or unresolved father problems.
Old 13-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
burkie_21
wild xr8

when someone tailgates you for miles an miles on the highway then overtakes you only to turn a kay up the road making you slow down!!!
Old 13-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #29
glavas

and fog lights during the day time. sometimes i see cars with no head lights on just fog lights!!!!! how stupid. if you want to be seen keep ya headlights. fog lights are not anything cool. my mums corolla has fog lights are they cool???
Old 13-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #30
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am the best driver.. no one is as good as me..........
Closed Thread